I need help. Unsurprisingly.

#1 Posted by guntabon (5 posts) -

Well, I'm stuck on the smough guy in Anor Londo and i have no humanity. If someone needs help on an earlier part of the game, I'll help so i can get some.

(Also, rate the messages you see! Helps a lot. Thanks!)

#2 Edited by pyrodactyl (2038 posts) -

Upgrade you're weapon and armor. The giant blacksmith sells enough to get you're weapon to +10 and you're armor to +6(?).

If you're really stuck, you can return to the rats near the begining of the game and farm humanity from them. Use the cage shortcut in the forteress and you can make it back in 5 minutes.

If you want more specific help on strategy I'll need a general overview of your character

#3 Posted by Hungry (165 posts) -

@guntabon:

What platform are you playing on? If you are on PC and you aren't against summoning help I can get a Sun Bro over to you. Also, Ornstein and Smough are one of the more challenging bosses in the game. I recommend spending a lot of time just playing passively and observing how they attack and seeing their weak points so you know when to attack. Play very conservatively and you can probably win with any build.

#4 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2102 posts) -
  • easy mode = upgrade your armour / weapons that you are most comfortable with.
  • farm the rats in the depths with the serpent ring, once you get 10 humanity, use them, you'll double your discovery rate, you can farm more up til 99.
  • Summoning Sun Bro will help distract and split the duo, but it also increases their HP. If going this route you'll have to be more patient with the second half of the battle and read their moves. Staying close to them is often times the best strategy, that goes with nearly every single boss in this game.
  • use the pillars to halt Smough, this in turn can trap Ornstein on occasion who can easily side step around them.
  • hide behind pillars to heal up if this happens, also helps during the second half.
  • Go to youtube for guides as a last resort.
#5 Posted by guntabon (5 posts) -

This was friggen helpful. So, I joined the Warriors of Sunlight after I beat them (with help of course. I ain't no mastah) And I'll use all this info. Thanks dudes.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I just wanted to post in here and brag that I beat O&S for the first time lat night, too. Doing that fight solo seems to rely more on luck than anything. I couldn't consistently get Fatty to get hung up on the pillars. Summoning help and being able to manage aggro between two people made the fight really easy.

#7 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

It was said above, but it can't be overstated: farm rats for humanity.

#8 Edited by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

@Ravenlight: Yeah, I've played through the game way too many times. But I ALWAYS die to O&S. ALWAYS. That boss is just hard man!

Proud to say I've never summoned anyone to any fight yet. But man I might just start doing that for Fatboy and Slim, because I can't deal with them consistently.

EDIT: Also Congratulations! That is one of, if not the biggest milestone in the game. Just don't get too pissed with some of the bullshit in the later dungeons. XD

#9 Edited by kobr24 (26 posts) -

Ornstein and Smough is one of those fights that's either really really hard or really really easy depending on if you have the right gear or not. It's hard to tell how prepared you are without knowing what you have.

If you want to easymode this fight, get Quelaag's Furysword. Upgrade a curved sword to +10. (upgrade to +5, then buy a bunch of large titanite shards and bring them to andrei in undead parish). Then you can make the Furysword at the Giant Blacksmith. It does a ton of damage, enough that the fight should last around 5-6 minutes at the most if you're very very careful.

Make sure you have a strong shield like the Eagle Shield or Silver Knight's Shield. Black Iron Shield would be good too if you have enough STR.

If you still have trouble you can go fight Pinwheel (the catacombs is very easy at this point) and that will allow you to carry up to 20 estus flasks. Super Ornstein is pretty easy to dodge if you don't get nervous. Just remember you always want to stay close to him and roll towards him and never away. Playing too passively actually makes this fight harder. Same deal with Smough, you can roll towards him either head on or at an angle and he'll usually miss.

Whenever you hit a wall in this game it's a good idea to go farm, upgrade stuff, see if there are any secret areas/bosses you haven't beaten yet. You could probably do Great Hollow, Ash Lake, Darkroot Basin, Darkroot Garden (behind the crested door) and Ceaseless Discharge at this point if you haven't already.

#10 Posted by colorbrandon (164 posts) -

@kobr24: I was expecting your 'easy' way to be just to roll in 3 guys deep.

#11 Posted by kobr24 (26 posts) -

That works too. I just got my ass destroyed in the Tomb of the Giants after breezing through Sens Fortress onward. It's interesting to me how this game spikes in difficulty like that, I seem to mostly just cruise through the game until I hit a brick fucking wall instead of this feeling of gradual mounting difficulty like in most games. I think because the game makes no effort to guide you to the appropriate gear for any given area/battle your sense of difficulty is wildly dependent on whether or not you're lucky enough to find that stuff blindly or if you bother to go look it up online. I never really summon a lot for some reason, it makes things immensely easier but I'm too into the atmosphere of the game to feel like doing it all the time.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I'd like to rate this message, but I can't. :(

#13 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

The real Dark Souls begins here

#14 Posted by bombedyermom (229 posts) -

Well fuck, now I have to go replay Dark Souls. Thanks, power of suggestion.

Back on track: I'm sure someone better at DS than me will shoot this down, but I had a lot of success through the majority of the game using a good shield (IE one that blocks 100% physical damage, assuming you have the stamina) and a spear in my other hand. The ability to both block and attack simultaneously cannot be overstated. I eventually graduated onto bigger, better and harder to wield weapons, but learning the ropes with shield and spear were essential for me.

As for Smough and Big O, I've never beaten them by myself. Summoning even one dude who is well equipped and knows whats going on makes a huge difference.

damn I love this game.

#15 Edited by Hungry (165 posts) -

@bombedyermom said:

Well fuck, now I have to go replay Dark Souls. Thanks, power of suggestion.

Back on track: I'm sure someone better at DS than me will shoot this down, but I had a lot of success through the majority of the game using a good shield (IE one that blocks 100% physical damage, assuming you have the stamina) and a spear in my other hand. The ability to both block and attack simultaneously cannot be overstated. I eventually graduated onto bigger, better and harder to wield weapons, but learning the ropes with shield and spear were essential for me.

As for Smough and Big O, I've never beaten them by myself. Summoning even one dude who is well equipped and knows whats going on makes a huge difference.

damn I love this game.

Yeah the spear+shield combo can be ridiculously useless in some fights. You get ass-blasted in any fight where the spear can't break the enemy Poise because you will probably get staggered from the blocking you're about to do. It is also not a very good strategy in PVP either. A spear is good as an alternate weapon just because of the ridiculous reach and quick recovery, but the ability to block a hit is worthless when you can just learn when to attack and dodge.

I've never summoned help for any boss, because I'm no coward.

No really though, I think it is unfair to fight a boss your first time by summmoning help (even the NPCs), but after the first win it is fair game. I think my average death on O&S after my first is 1 death, then I kill them. Also, killing Ornstein first makes it really, really easy. Especially since you can make Ornstein separate from Smough very easily. The big difference about O&S as opposed to other Dark Souls bosses is that you have to be much, much more patient than you do with most of the other bosses.

(To prove my Dark souls street cred/nerdiness I have almost completed the game only using dual Cestus/Claws and Miracles).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.