Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I need opinions on my Pyromancer.

Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Exploited138

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3518667942702848

Please tell me what you guys think. Advice or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aishan

You may want to consider the following:

- Spending souls to improve your stats

- Equipping some sort of armour

- Equipping some sort of weapon

- Getting a pyromancy glove

Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Exploited138

Lmao my bad I did some editing so the URL of the build has changed. This is the updated version.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1504532487485774

Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Exploited138

Why are you people reading this topic and not even replying? I don't get it, you know what to expect when you click on the topic, but you act like you don't. Then you get here, read it, and you're like "oh **** this". What the hell?

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jtman54179

I came here to read what advice other people provided to use on my pyromancer. :)

I thought an experienced Dark Souls player's information would save me from unnecessary deaths.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By glyn

Because we have never played dark souls

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cyraxible

@Exploited138: Don't level vitality past 50, even past 40 you would be better putting points else where. Diminished returns kick in hard after 40. That rule holds for generally every stat/stat scaling.

If you're going to leave the Uchi on the normal upgrade path you should get an enchantment of some kind to apply to the blade whether it's just Great Magic Weapon or something stronger, it's useful to have. Especially stacking that magic buff.

I would rather use the Ring of Favor and Protection to up HP, equip burden, and stamina than to keep the Bellowing Dragon ring equipped. But that's just my preference.

I would rather up the endurance on that character and wear something more stylish. Havels and a family mask is so ubiquitous when I'm invading that I've formed a pretty negative knee jerk reaction to players wearing that stuff since they tend to be cunts.

If you're going for PVP I think using under used weapons and being diverse is more integral to winning. Judging by the build you wouldn't be able to surprise the other player. Sorry if I'm sounding like an elitist jerk.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By killacam

you people?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Turambar

Don't use a fire claymore, making it lightning instead.  You already have pyromancy to cover that element.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By NoobSauceG7

I agree with not leveling the vitality past 50 and I would suggest the Lightning Uchigatana but besides that it seems fine.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandude

@jtman54179 said:

save me from unnecessary deaths.

Oh, the naivety!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turambar
    @NoobSauceG7 said:

I agree with not leveling the vitality past 50 and I would suggest the Lightning Uchigatana but besides that it seems fine.

Nah, he'd be putting the dex points to waste then since elemental anything has fixed damage.

Honestly, I'd say take those over 40 vit points and throw enough in faith so as to use sunlight blade / darkmoon blade.  Get rid of the claymore all together and put the pyro glove on the right hand while having a talisman on the left.  No point in going dex heavy if you're not going to have enchantments for the weapons.  Dex weapons hit fast and often, thus making much more use off of weapon enchantments than strength weapons.
    Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dixego

SL130 may prevent you from getting a lot of PVP fights, if you're looking forward to that. I'd take them off Vit, if possible.

Besides that, it seems to be a pretty solid build, I like it. Can I use it myself? That would be awesome.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cyraxible

@Turambar: He should go for Chaos since it does more damage than the Lightning when it's scaled with the humanity he's holding.

@Dixego: SL 130 is prime for PVP. It's only once you start getting into ridiculously high levels like 300+ when you have trouble PVPing. Even then you can still get invaded, especially in places like the forest.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @cyraxible said:

@Turambar: He should go for Chaos since it does more damage than the Lightning when it's scaled with the humanity he's holding.

@Dixego: SL 130 is prime for PVP. It's only once you start getting into ridiculously high levels like 300+ when you have trouble PVPing. Even then you can still get invaded, especially in places like the forest.

Maybe its just me, but I find constantly maintaining 10 humanity to be a bit of a pain.
    Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Exploited138

Thanks everybody you have no idea how much I appreciate the advice. I will take most of your ideas to heart. For example I'm either going to ditch the Claymore altogether and add some Faith and a Talisman, or make it lightning. I always have tons of humanity so Chaos weapons will always be effective for me though. Oh yeah and whoever wants to use this build for themselves go right ahead. One last thing, the Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring boosts my Pyromancy along with the Crown of Dusk, so I'd rather not replace it for the Ring of Favor, but I'll consider it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By kindgineer

*looks into thread and walks out*

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dixego

@cyraxible: Oh, well, maybe it's just my personal preference. SL120 just looks so... good and round.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By benjaebe

@Dixego said:

@cyraxible: Oh, well, maybe it's just my personal preference. SL120 just looks so... good and round.

SL120 is just a leftover from Demon's Souls, where SL120 was actually the optimum level. People still just kind of settled on it as the agreed upon PVP level for Dark Souls out of habit, even though I think Dark Souls is a bit more lenient when it comes to the effectiveness of a wider range of builds and SLs.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mosespippy

Seems to me like you've got a lot of focus on magic buffs even though you only have the ability to do maybe 15 magic attacks. I'm guessing this is a PvP build then since it wouldn't be worth it to do PvE with those buffs on so few attacks. You've certainly spent too much on vitality. I don't know why you've spent so much on Endurance either. Maybe because you want to wear Havel's Leggings and Gauntlets but that is a poor choice. The only reason to wear Havel's equipment is for the poise boost but your poise is so low it seems like it would be useless against anything. You can get better defence stats from lighter equipment. Smough's gear is stronger in most stats (only weaker in magic defence) and weighs 1.1 less each. Black Iron +5 is 2.2 lighter than Smough's. Black Iron has better physical def than Smough's but Smough's has better elemental defences.

Just by changing the Havel's gear to Black Iron +5 and not over spending on vitality you could have an equally powerful character at 22 levels lower (13 Vitality and 9 Endurance). You'd still have the ninja flip at 31 endurance and have better physical and fire def. Too late now I guess, unless you want to make a new character to eliminate the inefficiencies (which Dark Souls players are crazy so it's quite possible you might).

Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Exploited138

^ You're right, I might, because I start characters over quite often, but the 40 Endurance is for max stamina and the only poise required to break stunlock is 53, so Havel's gauntlets and leggings work just fine with 56. Black Iron only has 36 poise.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Turambar
    @Exploited138 said:

^ You're right, I might, because I start characters over quite often, but the 40 Endurance is for max stamina and the only poise required to break stunlock is 53, so Havel's gauntlets and leggings work just fine with 56. Black Iron only has 36 poise.

I'd personally suggest removing the dragoncrest ring (5 attunement slots only, and no doubt one or two of them will be buffs), and replacing it with the wolf ring.  That will solve all your poise problems.

Additionally, since you are trying to maximize endurance, be sure to pick out armor that is most efficient for stamina regen.  I don't think there's actually a list of that anywhere so you'll have to experiment, but there is solid evidence different armor sets (but not weapons) do in fact impact how quickly your stamina goes up.
    Exploited138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Exploited138

Okay so I did some tweaking to the build in question. Taking most of your opinions in doing so. I call this one the Darkmoon Pyro. Tell me what ya think.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=1326375848822778

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By golguin

First stat you must hit is 40 endurance. It will open a lot of options for you in terms of armor combinations and keeping your rolling at max speed. The next thing you want is 40 vitality to prevent any one hitters from bosses. You are now level 80 and ready to take on the world. Spend the minimum stat points required to use the Uchigatana and make it max lightning. I wouldn't go higher than level 100 if you want to PVP. The effectiveness of your vit, end, and lightning uchi drops the higher level you go. Spend the rest on attunement slots till you reach level 100.

In terms of rings and armor I wouldn't use anything other than havels ring and the dark wood grain ring for max load and movement potential given your stats, but people have different ideas about rings. Use whatever armor you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.