Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

I want to try this, but I'm also not a crazy person.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

Am I insane? I don't know what to expect from Dark Souls. I'm not crazy. I'm not masochistic. I'm just simply curious.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Commisar123

I would suggest playing it at a friend's or renting it to see if you like it first. If you do then you should buy it because there is nothing quite like it, but many people don't and it would be a shame to waste $60

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By napalm

@Commisar123: I am committed like a prostitute on a pimp.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

You played Guile in Vanilla so I think you are crazy enough for this game.

sikila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sikila

Do it. Just do it. Believe me you won´t regret it one bit.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Napalm said:

Am I insane? I don't know what to expect from Dark Souls. I'm not crazy. I'm not masochistic. I'm just simply curious.

You do not have to be insane. You just need to take the game slow and not try to rush. 
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By ZimboDK

Do what I did and buy Demon's Souls first, so you'll at least get the general idea of what to expect.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jozzy

Do it, people really overhype the difficulty-aspect of the game. You know what kind of game it is so you will be going in with the proper mindset which is key. This game requires concentration and patience, but you don't need to be a god among gamers to get something out of it. Hell, I finished it.

Dyslexicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dyslexicon

Think of this game as a very large fence who's top is adorned with the sharpest razor wire. You can not straddle it. Because of this, there are only two real sides to this game: Love it, or hate it. It's not for everyone. Personally, I love it. It's deep, challenging and rewarding. If you think going 27-0 feels good in COD, maybe you should just try beating the first boss in this game. Every time you pass a milestone in this game you know you earned it. There's also easily 100 hours of gameplay in it if you're a completionist, so you get your moneys worth.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Since you suck at games I'd stay away from it. I beat the game in about 60 hrs without ever playing Demon Souls, it wasn't as hard as everyone says.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm

@JJOR64 said:

You played Guile in Vanilla so I think you are crazy enough for this game.

Oh my god, I love you so hard.

?!

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Packie

No you're not. Just be aware that this game will provide the ultimate test for your patience. It's not a hard game as a lot of people hyped it to be, just hard to learn. The game will never bother tell or teach you anything. You'll figure out the mechanics as you're going along, I also suggest hitting a lot of wiki sites if you're feeling lost. Oh and don't play it for the story. Just throwing that out of the way.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By napalm

@Sikila said:

Do it. Just do it. Believe me you won´t regret it one bit.

Your 'go for it' attitude has me fucking excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Packie said:

No you're not. Just be aware that this game will provide the ultimate test for your patience. It's not a hard game as a lot of people hyped it to be, just hard to learn. The game will never bother tell or teach you anything. You'll figure out the mechanics as you're going along, I also suggest hitting a lot of wiki sites if you're feeling lost. Oh and don't play it for the story. Just throwing that out of the way.

Cosign. Popular games are built with the populous in mind- i.e. accessibility. I think what's happening is that intentional design decisions that are done to make the game challenging are being mixed in with genuinely bad design decisions. For instance, your attacks prioritize animation, well, so are the enemies' attacks. You're on a level playing field. The game asks you to use both real world intuition (that seems unbeatable, I should not attempt that) with game world intuition (that seems unbeatable, I should throw myself against its rocks) which has both good and bad results.

In short, you're not a masochist or insane for playing this game, people who like it just want a game that doesn't condescend. It's the difference reading a 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and 'Ulysses'. Or the difference between watching 'Bad Boys II' and 'Network'.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TeamJersey

Join the insanity. The GB forums have answers to all your questions.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By CJduke

@jozzy said:

Do it, people really overhype the difficulty-aspect of the game. You know what kind of game it is so you will be going in with the proper mindset which is key. This game requires concentration and patience, but you don't need to be a god among gamers to get something out of it. Hell, I finished it.

This.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slantedwindows

this game isn't "hard" in the old school sense. in old school games, you have X number of lives to beat the game. if you do not acquire enough skills to achieve that, then you can never beat the game, thus making it difficult and rage inducing.

dark souls is different. you never "game over" and there is at least one occasion where death is mandatory to progress. however, if you are very careful, you can theoretically beat the game without dying. fromsoft is very careful about deliberately leaving clues. for instance, early in the game, there is a portion where you get steamrolled by a large boulder. if you were careful and looked up the stairs, you would be able to see this, and it would not blindside you. a little bit later, there is a dragon that breathes fire down a long bridge. if you look around and notice all the dead, charred bodies around you, you would be able to predict that the dragon will breathe fire and figure out a course of action. the logic is deeply rooted in reality, and you can expect things in the game world to behave like they would do in the real world.

if you are dying repeatedly in the same area, you should probably try a different approach. fromsoft has been very careful in making this game very beatable with any play style - even tanking.

keep your shield up.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @Napalm said:

. I'm just simply curious.

That's what collage is for
    slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slantedwindows

@kingzetta said:

@Napalm said:

how do you know? something tells me i shouldn't believe you!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By kingzetta
    @slantedwindows said:

@kingzetta said:

@Napalm said:

why not?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By napalm

@kingzetta said:

@slantedwindows said:

@kingzetta said:

@Napalm said:

why not?

You are so stupid, and you're also Jeffsekai 2.0. This is not a compliment.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ikilledthedj

At lest try it, I'm 10 hours in and can't put it down I dont know why. Think of it like portal, remember those puzzles you thought u could never do..then the satisfaction you got after beating it.. The same rules apply here just on a bigger scale. When you grind for 3 hours to get past one room you really feel like you have accomplished putting man on the moon even if you have only scratched the surface of space travel. As a tip I don't know if getting the elusive drake sword is a good or bad idea I feel like I have cheated my self a few hours of learning upgrading weapons and tactics but maybe its just my play style. I think I'll buy my self a present once I beat those prick gargoyles.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bybeach

I'm going to get this game. Every time I read comments from Dark Soul's players who aren't wanking themselves off, I get very inspired by the analysis and such. As for it having shortcomings as one poster noted, I can or will try to accept it. No game is perfect. But I like there is a reasonable rebuttal to the charge it is simply video-game S+M, that observation and patience mitigate or eliminates all that. It is still hard, but it is doable. I've watched the QL, and especially the Tricaster event multiple times.

I'm into it.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McShank

@Napalm: stop being a pussy and buy the game. It is not that hard once you learn the controls and mechanics of how to fight to your play style.. If you think the game is to hard after playing it for 5-10+ hours then you need to rethink how you have been playing or Why are you playing a rpg style game.. The SOULS games are not hard! They just dont like impatient people who refuse to learn new tricks.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Humanity

@Napalm said:

You don't have to be crazy or some hardcore oldschool veteran gamer. At this point the hype and sometimes somewhat elitist attitude people have about this game does it more disservice than good. Dark Souls is very methodical and unconventional. The difficulty doesn't come from the gameplay itself, but rather from retaining a measure of patience when playing it. There are tons of moments when you get frustrated and the hard part is coming back and overcoming that challenge. The gaming conventions of Souls are more archaic than revolutionary - no checkpoints, limited health recharge, very pattern oriented bosses, static enemy placement, enemy respawn on return. All of that makes the game ironically fresh and new even though those are all mechanics we grew out of over the years.

The only questions you have to ask yourself are: Are you patient? Do you enjoy dark fantasy? If yes then you will have no problem with Dark Souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.