If you can beat (insert game title here) you can beat Dark Souls

• 56 results
#1 Posted by jeromevirata (2 posts) -

I personally have no idea on how it's gonna be for me when I buy this game so I want to gauge the difficulty by comparing it to other games. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

#2 Posted by Bocam (3753 posts) -

If you can beat Demons Souls you can beat Dark Souls

#3 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

If you can beat Ninja Gaiden on the NES then you can beat Dark Souls.

The reverse might not be true.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Bocam said:

#5 Posted by Trevorisamazing (60 posts) -

I won't make promises, but if you have the patience to beat I Wanna Be The Guy, then Dark Souls will probably be manageable.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I don't know if there is a good game comparison (aside from Demon's Souls, obviously).

If you are careful, can pay attention, and hold up a shield you can beat Dark Souls.

#7 Edited by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

If you can beat God of War 3 on Chaos difficulty, you can beat Dark Souls.

Also this is probably the 11th person on Giant Bomb today with only one post. I'm not the only one noticing right?

#8 Posted by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Beat me to it. But man, fuck Gwyn.

#9 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

What about if I can beat Ninja Gaiden II on the 360? (I'm already on the last boss of Dark Souls so this question is maybe a little pointless :D)

#10 Posted by jeromevirata (2 posts) -

Thanks for the info. I'll try I Wanna Be The Guy as it is a freeware.

#11 Posted by captain_clayman (3321 posts) -

@jeromevirata said:

Thanks for the info. I'll try I Wanna Be The Guy as it is a freeware.

oh man, if you can make it through THAT, dark souls should be a cakewalk.

#12 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

After I beat Ninja Gaiden on a harder difficulty setting on the Xbox I tried playing the NES Ninja Gaiden. Dear god. Dear god.

#13 Posted by Berserk007 (206 posts) -

Kings Field.... nuff said

#14 Posted by EVO (3909 posts) -

If you can beat Radec on Elite you can beat Dark Souls.

#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

@Centimani: I dunno, I haven't played those games all that much. I really only made the Ninja Gaiden comparison because it is a really hard game that forces you to go back to the beginning of the level once you game over, Maybe Castlevania 3 is a better comparison. From what I can understand, the current generation Ninja Gaiden games is more about quick reflexes and learning the combat than the level memorization that was required in the original Ninja Gaiden. That kind of difficulty isn't my thing, as it turns out, and I have yet to play more than a few levels of the first game.

@Brendan: I got up to the "last" boss a couple of times. You fought him with the same lifebar right after another guy, if you died you had to fight the first guy again and whenever you ran out of lives you had to start, I think, several levels back. I learned much later that he actually has a second form so you have to beat a total of three bosses in a row, with one life bar and only a couple of tries before having to go through the entire thing again.

Dark Souls is nothing.

#16 Posted by HatKing (5952 posts) -

Let's see. If you can play through Duke Nukem Forever followed by Black Water followed by Postal III followed by Black Water again, you would have the patience it takes to get through Dark Souls.

#17 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

If you can beat Super Meat Boy, you can beat Dark Souls.

#18 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

@EVO said:

If you can beat Radec on Elite you can beat Dark Souls.

Nice one, though it's kind of just time consuming. You'll probably die several hundred times in KZ2 on elite but it'll still only take 15-20 hours to beat the game, Dark Souls could take a poor player over 100 to beat.

If you can beat Vagrant Story, you can beat Dark Souls.

#19 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

If you have any patience at all you can beat Dark Souls 

In fact, as long as you do not have any handicap you should be able to beat Dark Souls given enough time. 

#20 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

If you beat Sephiroth in both Kingdom Hearts you can probably beat Dark Souls.

#21 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Getting hit in the face with a sword hurts. You can use a shield to not get hit in the face with swords.

Understand all that?

You can beat Dark Souls as long as you keep at it and don't flip out if you lose progress.

#22 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

Dark Souls is not a hard game. If you can be patient, you can beat Dark Souls.

#23 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Also, if you beat that bitch Myrrah in Gears 3 on Insane you can likely do Dark Souls heh

#24 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3095 posts) -

All it takes to beat Dark Souls is patience. If you could play through a few screens worth of I Wanna Be The Guy without flipping out, then Dark Souls will be comparatively relaxing.

#25 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

The Souls games just require patience, like others have said. But if you can beat Catherine on hard without help, you can beat Dark Souls.

#26 Edited by Turambar (6784 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:

@Centimani: I dunno, I haven't played those games all that much. I really only made the Ninja Gaiden comparison because it is a really hard game that forces you to go back to the beginning of the level once you game over, Maybe Castlevania 3 is a better comparison. From what I can understand, the current generation Ninja Gaiden games is more about quick reflexes and learning the combat than the level memorization that was required in the original Ninja Gaiden. That kind of difficulty isn't my thing, as it turns out, and I have yet to play more than a few levels of the first game.

@Brendan: I got up to the "last" boss a couple of times. You fought him with the same lifebar right after another guy, if you died you had to fight the first guy again and whenever you ran out of lives you had to start, I think, several levels back. I learned much later that he actually has a second form so you have to beat a total of three bosses in a row, with one life bar and only a couple of tries before having to go through the entire thing again.

Dark Souls is nothing.

Go watch the Game Center CX episode of Ninja Gaiden on Kotaku.  Its a Japanese show of a guy who's not good at games but loves them any ways playing through old ass games in one sitting, and it's pretty great.  Alternatively, there's a translation group here subbing various episodes, but Kotaku had a specific few licensed for localization and those are no longer available for downloading.
#27 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

If you can beat Dark Souls you can beat Dark Souls.

#28 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

This is kinda freaking me out. I've done pretty much all of these.

Does beating the first 3 NG's inside of NG for the xbox count?

Also, Dark Souls really isn't as hard as any of these.

#29 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Darksouls is not hard. Just play it and dont be dumb and do the same mistakes multiple times. Learn from what you fail at and you will be fine.

#30 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

If you are capable of understanding the concept of "Holding up a shield and occasionally dodging" you can beat Dark Souls.

#31 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

If you have any patience at all you can beat Dark Souls In fact, as long as you do not have any handicap you should be able to beat Dark Souls given enough time.

Some thing like that.

Dark Souls isn't that hard, you're just not a typical video game hero. You're not a one-man army that can blaze through lesser peons. It's more like what would happen if one person took on an army of varied and vile creatures...they would die. Anyone who can stomach (or grew up with) old beat em ups or shumps will be fine with Dark Souls. It's all about patience and pattern memorization. And seriously, the thing that will fuck you up the most is over confidence, and rushing into an area to get your soul back while pissed off, always take it slow.

#32 Edited by Jeust (10651 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

I would say that, still I beat it on the NES thirteen years ago, and I'm a changed man.

@RockmanBionics said:

Dark Souls is nothing.

Yep. It's that hard. The good thing about it is, that in the first Ninja Gaiden, after you defeat the first boss in the series of three, if you died afterwards, you'd be sent backwards a great deal, to the beginning of the level, but you wouldn't have to fight the first boss ever again, in same sitting. Still you had to do all the last level again, and fight the second boss in his two forms.

#33 Posted by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

I find a lot of shooters (Gears, Halo, CoD, etc.) on their highest difficulty settings harder than the Souls games.

#34 Posted by kindgineer (2725 posts) -

I suppose if you can critically think on your feet and hold up a shield you can beat Dark Souls.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If you can understand Dwarf Fortress, don't play Dark Souls, play more Dwarf Fortress.

#36 Posted by Chet_Rippo (235 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

If you have any patience at all you can beat Dark Souls In fact, as long as you do not have any handicap you should be able to beat Dark Souls given enough time.

Yeah this game is hyped up as really difficult but it isn't actually that hard. You just need to not be an idiot and have the patience to learn the gameplay mechanics.

#37 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

Risen

#38 Edited by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@sixghost said:

Dark Souls is not a hard game. If you can be patient, you can beat Dark Souls.

So if you can beat impatience, you can beat Dark Souls?

Also, if you can dodge traffic, you can doge a dodgeball.

#39 Posted by Asinies (35 posts) -

If you can get past MGS3's weird control scheme, Dark Souls will seem heavenly to you.

#40 Posted by JackSukeru (5913 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Go watch the Game Center CX episode of Ninja Gaiden on Kotaku. Its a Japanese show of a guy who's not good at games but loves them any ways playing through old ass games in one sitting, and it's pretty great. Alternatively, there's a translation group here subbing various episodes, but Kotaku had a specific few licensed for localization and those are no longer available for downloading.

I have caught one or two episodes of that show on Youtube before but they were kinda hard to find. I've been interested in seeing more so that link was much appreciated, thanks man!

#41 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Dark Souls isn't so much challenging as it is a test of your patience. About 3/4 of my deaths in that game were due to a lack of patience and trying to get through a certain area too fast.

#42 Edited by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

I like the Super Meat Boy comparison. If you can "Golden God" achievement SMB, then you have the hand eye coordination and patience to get through DMS/DKS. It would help if you've beaten a tough modern-ish console RPG like Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, or the cult Baroque. Both require the grinding and creative finagling to get through the role playing and action RPG combat elements, and require you to figure out a lot of stuff with little or no guidance.

Really any RPG can be beaten down with enough grinding. This also requires some quality exploration and experimentation to get the gear and gear combinations that you need, which I enjoyed.

#43 Posted by SgtReznor (210 posts) -

Battle Toads

#44 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Yeah, Super Meat Boy has to be the best comparison. So far, I'm finding Dark Souls pretty easy. I mean...I'm not exactly breezing through it, but it's not frustrating or anything, like Super Meat Boy is...

#45 Posted by KaramonD (53 posts) -

@RocketmanBionics Exactly my thoughts when I read this thread. I'd go so far as to say Chrono Trigger also.

#46 Posted by dudeglove (7856 posts) -

If you're shitfaced you can beat Dark Souls. Seriously, try this game drunk - it puts a whole new slant on the gameplay, because everyone else in the game flails around like a Glaswegian on a Friday night.

#47 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -

If you can beat your meat you can beat Dark Souls

#48 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Anyone else think Dark Souls is the modern evolution of the original Legend of Zelda?

#49 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

I can't beat Super Meat Boy... Stupid fetus in a jar!

#50 Posted by PrixDante (30 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.