Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Is it just my online or is this a shared problem?

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Ok, lets start with some information. I am playing the 360 version with a gold live membership and have no issues in terms of seeing other players bloodstains, ghosts, summon signs or messages.

However, I have never had a successful summon, nor an invasion of an actual player (the 'fake' npc versions work fine) and as you may imagine its kind of bumming me out. I love that the game is constantly screwing me over, I'd like to do the same to players or even better try and stop them doing it to me...

Please tell me I'm not alone in this and its not just some stupid router/nat issue that I'll have to spend an entire day looking into.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

This is an ongoing problem that almost everyone who owns Dark Souls has experienced to some degree.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Maajin

I played on PS3, didn't try to invade anyone so fat but had several sucessful summons...

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

You are not alone, a lot of people have complained about failed connections.
     All of my invasions have failed so far, but summoning seems to work about 80% of the time.
     Do you have an Open NAT? I would try and see if that is causing any problems.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By gla55jAw

I'm 40 hours in with 1 invasion. Last night I tried for a half hour in one spot to summon at a bonfire. Even restarted a few times, nothing worked. Moved right to where the boss fog was and it worked 2 times in a row.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By the_hiro_abides

My game has been invaded about 5 times, summoned a couple of times, and have been summoned twice in my 60 hour run. I've never successfully invaded though. A lot of it seems to be hit or miss.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sign

I am on PS3, I haven't tried to invade anyone but have been invaded twice. Every summon I have tried has worked and every time I have started being summoned it has completed.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

Just recently I realized my NAT type was Moderate and this was causing me to fail on summons etc. When I fixed that I started getting invaded by real players and was able to summon others to help me.

Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gumby

@Humanity said:

Just recently I realized my NAT type was Moderate and this was causing me to fail on summons etc. When I fixed that I started getting invaded by real players and was able to summon others to help me.

Is it complicated to change your NAT type? Whenever I played Black ops it said it was open, but after booting up Dark Souls it changed to Strict... I'm not good at stuff like this! :P

monkfishesq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By monkfishesq

The multiplayer on the 360 can be classified as "fucked to shit"

The player base is magnitudes lower than the PS3 coupled with the fact you need a gold subscription to see the multiplayer elements makes for a sparse environment. I have an open NAT and player summons fail 80% of the time. I started a new character recently and went about 6 hours without seeing a single message, bloodstain or white phantom. I must have been on a totally empty server or one where all the players were out of my level range.

The one thing I really want to see fixed are the multiplayer covenants, let's go over the Darkmoon.

Blade of the Darkmoon.

They must be:

In human form

In the same area as you

Within 10% of your level

Be in the book of the guilty

The low player count on the 360 makes this a real hit or miss covenant. At 10 souvenirs handed in you get 2 items. A Talisman (for spellcasters) and a miracle (for spellcasters) there's ABSOLUTELY nothing for any other class to use and no other gifts past rank 1.

I just want to have a PVP environment outside of SL100+ NG+ twinks who've managed to get every single overpowered item in the game. I want to be able to have fun at the low & mid levels with PVP and not sit in the game for hours just failing at invading over and over again.

I *really* hope the upcoming patch will fix the multiplayer stuff. There's a great MP experience buried in Dark Souls waiting to be found but at the moment the MP element is so passive it can be said to not exist.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By Humanity

@Gumby said:

@Humanity said:

Is it complicated to change your NAT type? Whenever I played Black ops it said it was open, but after booting up Dark Souls it changed to Strict... I'm not good at stuff like this! :P

It can range from really simple to semi complicated if you've never done anything involving router settings.

If you've ever gone to your router setup page (the one at 192.168.1.1) then check to see that UPnP is ON or checked off - this is usually on by default but it's good to make sure.

Then you'd go to your 360 network settings, select the network you're connected to and edit settings -> then make sure everything is set to automatic.

Beyond that it gets complicated as you have to assign your 360 a static IP and setup your DMZ on the router for that ip in addition to forwarding ports etc etc

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

I have been trying for 2 days to summon help for the Anor Landor boss(es) on the 360. There are just no summon signs at all. I am human and I can summon the npc but I really want some human help for these guys, and I am running low on humanity. Am I too high or low at level at 52, or am I not checking the right areas (bonfire and the npc summon sign)?

I did get invaded yesterday and I had some succesful summons before, but I was expecting quite a few summon signs at this tricky boss.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TeamJersey

I have only been able to successfully summon ONE person right before I fought the boss Quelaag after I had fought and died 4 other times. That one person helped me defeat that boss. It was amazing. Sadly, I have had no other luck playing with anyone else. I hope it gets fixed.

xxxlynchxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By xxxlynchxxx

Big problems fo me too. 360 version. I have attempted, I would guess 80 times. Either summoning phantoms to help, or placining my summon mark to help others. I have had 8 successful matches... 4 helpers on 2 bosses, and i have helped 4 times. I usually get the summon failed notice. I am attempting to join the Warriors of Light Cov, so I am tracking it closely.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It worked over the weekend for me!  I summoned someone to help me with Gaping Dragon and we got hit with not one, but two invasions before we got there, sorted them both out quickly.  

Oh and last night I was farming behind the Door in Darkroot and kept getting invaded by someone wearing the Cat's Ring.

Gumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gumby

@Humanity: Holy shit... that's way more complicated than I thought it would be...thanks for the tips though. I'll have to look into it!

Rizaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rizaun

I've never tried to summon anyone, i've been summoned twice (for Ornstein and Smough's fight), but hell, i get invaded like every 10 fucking minutes!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.