Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Is sticking with the ''Path of The Dragon'' Covenant worth it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

PoTD has been the only covenant I've aligned with thus far (minus that one I started out as, can't remember the name. Whatever it was that you're instantaneously aligned with as a knight/cleric) and I've been apart of it for quite some time now. Problem is because of the incredibly sparse online player-finding, I literally have never been able to ''duel'', or whatever, another player for some drake scales. I've gotten what I can tell as many I can find throughout the world from enemy dragons thus far, and those electric spewing drakes never drop any for me anymore.

Now I'm not asking for anyone to outright tell me what benefits there are for sticking with this covenant in the long run, I still don't want to be spoiled (I know that you can eventually unlock an item that fits you with a dragon head, but that's outright told to you from the start with that item), but rather if it's still just... worth it. I mean I'm worried about leaving because I'd fear that my progress with the so many drake scales I've contributed will be lost if I opt to join again after realising how effin' awesome things could get. Plus I'm under the whim of a fucking Dragon! This is something that just feels awesome for the sake of knowing what I'm apart of even if I'm not actually getting anything out of it...

Furthermore, if it really does strike gold down the line, can someone recommend the best place where my covenant congregates for some drake scales?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By spazmaster666

You'll eventually get a second item (similar to the first item) but I personally don't think any of the covenants are really that worthwhile unless you just enjoying playing PvP or are going for certain achievements/trophies. It hasn't really affected my overall enjoyment of the game across three playthroughs.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

There are some great wikis out there in google land describing the covenants and how you progress through them.

However spoiler free, all I can say is prepare to grind a long ass time for scales.

From the wiki I linked here are the usual stomping grounds:

Although you can place the eye in many places in dark souls, the unofficial area people place the Dragon Eye is

1. Beside the bonfire in Darkroot Garden next to the Crest of Artorius Gate (upstairs)

2. Right behind the Lordvessel down the stairs at the entrance Kiln of the First Flame

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Timing

It was my first covenant, but I didn't stay long. I later joined Darkmoon and then Darkwraith. Mainly because those let you just play against others without having to wait for their permission. Simply put, I never found anyone willing to touch the Dragon sign, and thus never fought anyone for a dragon scale. Maybe by now there are more people willing to fight, but I'll level the Darkwraith some more first, as I'm already at +1 there now, and should I leave, it resets to 0, essentially wasting the Humanity I gave so far.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By white

You don't really want the stones anyway cause they make you totally nekkid without cool armour.

Rendarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Rendarag

The dragon stone you get at rank 3 allows you to go fully dragonoid which increases your attack power temporally and when you transform you emit a spell like emite force. (I can t wait to get it)

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By psylah
    Pro-tip: Cut off the Stone Dragon's tail. This doesn't break the covenant, and it turns into a massive, powerful two-hander. Upgrades with Dragon Scales. Its two-handed heavy attack unleashes a shockwave, but it is weak at first. I believe it powers up with your rank in the covenant (I think 30 scales is 2nd rank, 80 scales is top rank). The sword itself starts at phys. attack 360, and mine at rank 5 or 6 is a bit over 500.
    mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mason

This is a little tangential but...

This covenant seems built to gain you a lot of dragon scale. But why would I want that much? What is dragonscale good for anyway?

Even if I upgrade my drake sword, it's still non-scaling and thus weaker than any of my upgraded weapons. So it seems like a waste of 10,000 souls. Are there other items that are truly useful that upgrade with dragon scale?

freddie_bert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By freddie_bert

@mason The Dragon's Took weapon upgrades with Dragon's Scales, so do all the Dragon weapons which are some really damaging weapons.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By psylah

@mason said:

This is a little tangential but...

This covenant seems built to gain you a lot of dragon scale. But why would I want that much? What is dragonscale good for anyway?

Even if I upgrade my drake sword, it's still non-scaling and thus weaker than any of my upgraded weapons. So it seems like a waste of 10,000 souls. Are there other items that are truly useful that upgrade with dragon scale?

Offering the dragon scales to the dragon increases your standing in the covenant, making the dragon head ability's fire do more damage, along with the Dragon Greatsword's special attack. Also, you can get an item similar to the dragon head trinket that turns your torso into that of a dragon / human hybrid thing, which increases melee damage quite a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.