Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Is there a trick to pulling off the backstab?

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Puchiko

I can't for the life of me get the backstab animation to pull off. I sneak up behind enemies and have tried R1 or R2 and I don't get the animation for pulling off a backstab. I've also tried it circling enemies and doing it and despite being directly behind it never works. I have been watching EpicNameBros Youtube channel and watching him play he gets off a backstab nearly every time. Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm not really sure. In the first 2 hours I couldn't do it at all, then it just clicked. I do it every time now. Just practice?

PS. I think the location of your right hand should be behind them.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MeierTheRed

You need to line up straight behind the enemy and be close enough before it will trigger.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By aleryn

Been having similar problems, despite having near-mastered it in Demon's Souls. Probably just getting back into the groove and all. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By cornbredx

The position is specific, so it's kind of difficult. I've done it a few times, but I can't do it consistently. I seem to be better at parry and riposte but you know, it's really about doing whats most comfortable for you.

Also, epicnamebro seems to have the best videos out there for this game. I haven't found anyone else yet with better info when trying to find out specifics on certain things. Except maybe the forums here on giantbomb. Every other video I've found were players that were worse at the game then me haha

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Chop

The key is to make sure your weapon is directly behind them, not you.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donchipotle

Also, your shield has to be down.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

Make a thief character and play through the first couple areas if you want some good practice. It's a very specific position to be standing in, but once you get it you'll be able to do it all of the time.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CaptainTightPants
    @Puchiko
    I don't know, I find that if I tap forward and right bumper ( OR R1?) ( Like if you were doing a kick)  I don't even have to be directly behind them to backstab, the character will align himself even if I am a bit off to the side.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I find it helps to have the analog stick neutral before hitting R1. Get right behind them, let go of the stick and hit R1. I can do it fairly consistently, depends on the enemy though.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Turambar
    @DonChipotle said:

Very much so this.  I was failing back stabs for the longest time because I kept having my shield up.  That said, the amount of room you are given for back stabs seem a lot less than before in Demon's Souls .
    Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hooded

I find it easy, all I do is keep my sheild down circle my prey and hold up and press RB (R1). It works almost everytime, if you press up and RB at same time you kick, so hold up before you press RB.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By RadixNegative2

Do certain weapons or stats make it easier?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MiniPato

Despite what some people say, it isn't necessarily right directly behind an enemy. Sometimes you're more successful at pulling it off if you're to the right and behind. Or after they attack, you have to be to the left and behind.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Humanity

I've had more luck when I push forward on the analog and hold the attack button. I think it's just poor game design there's no secret to it. Sometimes it works when I'm slightly to the right? I still have issues doing the kick consistently. Although I've found a way to switch targeted enemies smoothly - flicking the analog always switches targets instead if you just move. If I just flick the stick it always works so there's a tip for you guys.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sanious

@Turambar said:

@DonChipotle said:

Very much so this.

Yep, I had 'trouble' with it when I continually had my shield held up. After that I got them a lot more, and I also am not always right behind the enemy when I get one off.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

Been having trouble with this as well. Never had an issue in Demons Souls. Anyone know if there is a way to sprint as well? Seen some vids of guys running fast while using their stamina but I cant figure it out for the life of me.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MezZa

@handlas: Hold circle, or whatever button is roll if you're on 360. You can jump by pressing roll while you're sprinting as well.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

From my experience, pretty much just luck.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imsh_pl

A side note, does anyone have any advice on how to pull kicks more often? I tried hitting forward and R1 at the same time or with a slight delay in between, but can't really make it regularly.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas

@MentalDisruption: Great, thanks man. That'll help me in a couple areas...like dodging those water projectiles from that big serpent thing in the lake.

Huh...maybe I'm dumb or maybe this isn't common knowledge but you can also jump. Sprint and then hit O or B while sprinting and ur guy will jump into a roll. No clue, so now those areas where you see a ledge in the distance that you think you cant get to makes sense now...cuz you jump to it. Der.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vitor

@Turambar said:

@DonChipotle said:

Very much so this. I was failing back stabs for the longest time because I kept having my shield up. That said, the amount of room you are given for back stabs seem a lot less than before in Demon's Souls .

It's definitely a lot more precise, almost frustratingly so.

Than again, I've encountered a couple of bugs already so had just assumed that was one of them.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@imsh_pl said:
    A side note, does anyone have any advice on how to pull kicks more often? I tried hitting forward and R1 at the same time or with a slight delay in between, but can't really make it regularly.
    I do it at the same time, pretend it's Smash Bros. I find it helps to let the stick snap back to neutral instead of holding up but that might just be me. I like jump attacks but missing the timing and doing a slow attack really stucks, but I have it down pretty well.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By D_W

This thread has really helped me out!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RonGalaxy

Having a lot of trouble with back stabs, and I've tried pretty much everything in this thread. Im trying to kill havel, and backstabbing seems like the only way to do it at the level Im at. Maybe a more consistent strategy has been found since this threads last post?

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Feels

@naru_joe93 said:

Having a lot of trouble with back stabs, and I've tried pretty much everything in this thread. Im trying to kill havel, and backstabbing seems like the only way to do it at the level Im at. Maybe a more consistent strategy has been found since this threads last post?

@chop

said:

This is the only correct answer, which is kind of shocking -- how did no one else catch on? You have to position your weapon to the middle of the enemy's back which will result in back stabs 100% of the time. This means your character will be positioned somewhat to the side of the enemy, not directly behind them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backstabs are just about knowing "the spot" more or less, you get used to it over time. Also take note that regardless of the enemy's current motion their "back" stays at the same location on the hitbox, so for example the BKGA Dark Knight has an attack that puts his torso all the way forward, but his "back" with respect to backstabbing is still on his back heel on the other side of the NPC.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feels said:

@naru_joe93 said:

@chop

said:

This is the only correct answer, which is kind of shocking -- how did no one else catch on? You have to position your weapon to the middle of the enemy's back which will result in back stabs 100% of the time. This means your character will be positioned somewhat to the side of the enemy, not directly behind them.

That was the hardest strategy for me to pull off when attempting it, so I guess its the right one. Now I need to figure out how to get behind enemies consistently. Even when they attack, I can never get positioned correctly.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It also varies from enemy type to enemy type. Certain mid-and-late game enemies have a narrower backstab windows.

You'll just have to feel it out to get comfortable with it. It works, but like everything else in the game, it's particularly specific.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: I haven't seen anybody mention the actual tricks the game uses. If you just try to line up a shot from behind, you're likely to miss the shot.

• For some reason, you need to push "up" on the left stick (assuming you're locked on) while behind them. If you don't hold "up" you likely won't land it. I think it may work because it tells the game engine you're finished strafing and it makes the window of attack clear.
    • Also important: a backstab window doesn't actually move or rotate until an enemy finishes their "pivot" or rotation. In other words, if an enemy is turning to try to face you and you're circling them, you want to aim for the spot their back "was," not where it currently is... unless they've finished their pivot. You'll notice all enemies do a funny little "wobble" where they only turn a little at a time; that's the pivot or "turn" I'm referring to.

Source: I've played dick-loads of Dark Souls. Works like a charm. Besides these tips, the best I can say is to practice. After awhile you'll just get a feel for it.

*Bonus* If you parry an enemy and want to do more damage, you can switch to two-handed, but you likely won't connect the riposte unless you wait for half a second after switching to two-handed. Following up immediately almost always just attacks like normal; you need to wait a split-second until your character's "switching" animation completes.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Just keep practicing I guess. I eventually learned how to do it. There is however a tight window for you to catch the animation. You have to be fairly close to the enemy for it to trigger.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

You can co-op with others for practice, too. It's easier to line up a backstab (and get a feel for where the back is) when someone else is distracting the enemy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.