Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls [Updated with parts 30 - 33]

• 162 results
    Par1val

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hope he keeps posting. I enjoy watching him play DS

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ramone said:

Mr. Green needs to get on the Bombcast.

I need a billion dollars to appear in front of me!

*Looks around*

Damn it how did ramone do it?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53  Edited By Ramone

@jams said:

@ramone said:

Mr. Green needs to get on the Bombcast.

I need a billion dollars to appear in front of me!

*Looks around*

Damn it how did ramone do it?

Ha! I was so happy when I realised he was on.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By Timing

Part 4 is up! Progress is made. Barely. Giant Bomb is mentioned. Occasionally. Text is spoilered. Unnecessarily.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching Jeff kick the asses of those Balder knights really was something special. Let's see where he ends up next.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part 5 is now in the OP. And by OP I mean Original Post, not Original Poster. Part 5 is not in me. Except maybe in my heart.Except I haven't had time to watch it yet.

... part 5 is up.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JEFF'S SPAGHETTI. He's nervous, but on the surface... actually he might look calm but I don't think Jeff is ready at all.

He mentions Tested and Load our Last Souls, so that's cool.

Jeff slow down. I don't have time to watch all these and come up with witty descriptions for the OP.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timing: Man your slacking! Jeff has been playing alot recently.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Holy shit, Jeff Green makes Brad look like a Dark Souls professional, nay a master.

It's actually kind of amazing.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Timing

@timing: Man your slacking! Jeff has been playing alot recently.

I know. But I was the only one still posting in this thread and I felt like I was kind of spamming the forums by bumping it every time.

I'll update it just for you though.

PART 7! ACTUAL PROGRESS IS MADE.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@timing I really appreciate you sharing this, as I wouldn't have been aware of the videos until you posted them. It's been great to watch Jeff's attitude go from mocking and dismissive to enthusiastic and engaged. Great find!

I usually just take the link in your original post to Jeff Green's YouTube page and watch the latest video there, but a bump every time there's an update doesn't hurt at all.

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By mrariscottle

I've finished Dark Souls over 10 times now and I still love watching people play it, good or bad. It might be one of the best games I've ever played.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@cale said:

I wanna hear more about this ooochigatana from Jeff.

And RETRIEVAL too !

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going back and changing titles to previous uploads... you're not making this easier for me, Green.

The OP is now updated with part 8. But not really, because part 8 is the old part 7. So it's updated with part 7. Which it already was. But it's now a new part 7. Which consists of two parts. So there's two parts seven. There is no progress in either parts seven.

@timing I really appreciate you sharing this, as I wouldn't have been aware of the videos until you posted them. It's been great to watch Jeff's attitude go from mocking and dismissive to enthusiastic and engaged. Great find!

I usually just take the link in your original post to Jeff Green's YouTube page and watch the latest video there, but a bump every time there's an update doesn't hurt at all.

Your appreciation is appreciated. I'll try to keep updating it every time Jeff uploads a new video and sometimes mention it if I happen to catch him when he goes live.

Hopefully after next week I'll have some time to go back and watch some of the streams so I can add meaningful descriptions to them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#65  Edited By mike

Watching Jeff Green play Dark Souls has made me realize that even though I spent about the first 30 hours of the game stumbling through it just like he is, I find it really difficult to watch someone else do it. Jeff is a very nice guy and quite entertaining, I'll probably come back to this series at some point or maybe I'll catch up with it later on when he is further into the game.

morden2261

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By morden2261

This stream is pure gold. Or maybe calling what he's producing a "golden stream" is not exactly the best choice of words. Or maybe it is actually quite appropriate considering how pissed off he sometimes gets, which is obviously endlessly amusing to all of us watching!

However you slice it, I am loving the hell out of this. It is actually a really interesting other side of the coin to Vinny's play through.

I would be in absolute heaven if Jeff Green joined the Giant Bomb team. He would fit in amazingly with the crew. He's smart, funny, and experienced as hell.

Anyway, if Jeff Green is reading this thread then consider that your free ego stroke of the day, buddy!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love this feature. I'll watch any content with Jeff Green, and this is some good shit right here son!

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EchoEcho

Went through all of these over the last few days, and they're super entertaining. Honestly find myself not caring at all when Jeff spends half an episode fumbling through the same shit over and over, because it's just that good. @vinny better watch out -- he's got some class-A competition for best Dark Souls content on the Internet.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new title is up labeled part 9!

Hope that means he is prepping to stream tonight. I don't know how Twitch works so....

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Timing

@handlas: Yeah he did. It's not up on YouTube yet, but for the time being, here's the link to the Twitch archive video.

I haven't watched it yet and I'll update the OP with the YouTube version once it's there, because these Twitch VODs are less than ideal. In fact, every time I try to embed a Twitch video on Giant Bomb I get an error message, so that's not going to happen.

Eviternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When he stops looking at the chat, Jeff remembers to block/dodge first and attack second - with great success. Then every so often he'll get distracted, forget everything and it all falls apart! It's great to see his improvement over time though. I really hope he sticks with it until the end.

What do you guys think about the build advice he's been receiving? Personally, I think he'll have the best chance of success by adopting either the Vinny Method (high poise, strength etc.) or high Intelligence (you can't go wrong with homing soulmass). In either case, I think he'll need a bit more Vitality and Endurance before beefing up Strength or Intelligence.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mike

Man, Jeff was killing me when he was getting hit in the back by that tree lizard and didn't even see it.

Also, at around 54 minutes into Part 8, what was that yellow glow that popped up above his head for a second? I've never seen that before, Jeff was looking behind him but nothing was around. Was that a glitch?

Finally - does anyone want to take bets on what part of the game is going to break Jeff? I haven't finished DS yet, but I banged my head up against the Ornstein & Smough wall for hours before finally getting a human co-op partner for help. I don't even think I'm good at DS, but I'm definitely more "pro" than Jeff...unless he really steps it up and fast, I just don't see how he's going to make it past some of the later bosses or areas like the Tomb of Giants.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Someone kindled the same bonfire he just rested at. If you look at the IU he got an extra Estus flask from it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Oh wow, I never even knew that mechanic existed. Come to think of it I've ended up with extra flasks in my own game and never knew how I got them.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:
    Finally - does anyone want to take bets on what part of the game is going to break Jeff? I haven't finished DS yet, but I banged my head up against the Ornstein & Smough wall for hours before finally getting a human co-op partner for help. I don't even think I'm good at DS, but I'm definitely more "pro" than Jeff...unless he really steps it up and fast, I just don't see how he's going to make it past some of the later bosses or areas like the Tomb of Giants.

Well, you said it. There are plenty of viewers willing to help Jeff out. After all, that's how he got past the Gargoyles. So I think his progress as far as harder bosses go is largely dependent on whether or not he summons others to help him. He does seem to really like the game though, so I don't think he'll give up any time soon. Dying as many times as he has up until now hasn't broken his spirit yet, and I don't think that'll change as long as he keeps making some sort of progress. That said, he's definitely also getting better.

By the way I changed the OP again. Ten embedded videos on one page made it load very slowly, so from now on all episodes save for the latest one are just links.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mb said:

Man, Jeff was killing me when he was getting hit in the back by that tree lizard and didn't even see it.

Also, at around 54 minutes into Part 8, what was that yellow glow that popped up above his head for a second? I've never seen that before, Jeff was looking behind him but nothing was around. Was that a glitch?

Capra is the first hump in the game. The second trial would be the traps on Sen's Fortress. The final test is Smough and Ornstein, which can be bypassed with a summon or two. After that Jeff (and any other player) is basically home free because by that point in the game you should have a good grasp of the game mechanics (most of them) and your own fighting style.

Keep in mind that that people playing Dark Souls now have a wealth of information and streamers always have people willing to give out pro tips. At launch the landscape was vastly different. People would literally wait hours to get summoned just to have a chance to pick up some humanity and to maybe get a peak at the boss. Summons are extremely powerful now because the player you summon has probably beaten the game several times and is decked out with amazing equipment. At launch it was common to see your phantom buddies die within a matter of seconds. You'd be left all alone with another wasted humanity and another trip to the bonfire.

Upgrading weapons and equipment wasn't a known thing so most people were ill equipped for boss fights. The Drake Sword was probably the biggest thing that saved a good portion of the player base. There was simply no way to beat the bosses without the sword if you didn't know about upgrading your weapons and leveling up your strength or dex. I tried fighting the Gaping Dragon for 20 minutes with a base Uchigatana and base equipment and died at the very end because I thought I could take off its last sliver of health with 3 consecutive attacks. I misjudged the amount of HP left, was left with no stamina to dodge, and he took me out in one hit while I had full HP. I raged and summoned Solaire and Lautrec and I destroyed the Gaping Dragon with my pyromancy.

My current playthrough has been all about replicating the conditions of a player with no inside info and it's been pretty tough even for a vet like me. Equipment is such a huge deal and I think that many vets have forgotten what it was like to fight with terrible stats and weapons. It's a real big deal when it takes 5+ hits to kill normal enemies and you have 3 running at you.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've been seeing these links on here but I've been so busy lately that I never remember to watch them.

Finally loaded up #1. So good, Mr. Green is a delight, and I have like what, 10 hours to watch?

Thanks for the latest reminder @timing

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

My favorite bit of Part 9 was watching him go "WTF?" over the enemy tree, from thinking it's a glitch to trying to figure out what just happened.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part 9 is now on YouTube and is added to the OP.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But wait! There's more!

Part 10. Jeff has been drinking.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drunk Jeff Green is the best.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr. Fantastic is playing Dark Souls? Awesome!

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is the reason why I wanted to play dark souls.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Timing

There was a short stream last night in which Jeff didn't really get anywhere, so it's doubtful he'll upload it to YouTube. If he does, I'll of course update the thread again. Here's the Twitch archive version for now.

However, a great moment did occur.

http://abload.de/img/jeffmeethavelllu2p.gif

GIF is courtesy of Pikelet over at NeoGAF.

Here's video of the 'incident'.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#85  Edited By golguin

@timing said:

There was a short stream last night in which Jeff didn't really get anywhere, so it's doubtful he'll upload it to YouTube. If he does, I'll of course update the thread again. Here's the Twitch archive version for now.

That's an amazing fall animation from that one hitter. I swear I've never seen the character stagger backwards several steps and just collapse and I've played the game over 500 hours. It's amazing how many little details are in the game. I wonder how many people have seen the coffin backstab animation.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Timing

Oh hey guess what he did upload it. Here it is.

You all know what happens.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, Part 12...

It's amazing how quickly you can go from "doing awesome" to "dying in hilariously stupid ways" in Dark Souls.

EternalGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This stream is my current favorite thing on the entire goddamn internet.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God..every time he goes into his inventory he acts like it's the first time he's ever seen it!!!! It's maddening!!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#91 Mento  Moderator

My favorite part of today's stream was Jeff trying to follow directions to a "shortcut" and then falling to his death by the big ladder that connects Undead Burg to Lower Undead Burg, at which point half of chat said some variation of "that's a pretty good shortcut Jeff just found".

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess who's back! It's Jeff Green. Jeff Green playing more Dark Souls.

Part twelve!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#93  Edited By Humanity

@timing said:

Beautiful. His "YAY" was just this beautiful precursor of greatness to come. I think that there's a whole 'nother magnitude of fun to be gained from simply watching someone play Dark Souls when you know what horrors await them and they do not. Watching Jeff open that door a slow grin just spread across my face, it's glorious.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Tennmuerti

I think my jaw dropped when Green found the basement door by himself. Not something I thought him capable of previously.

At least division by 2 is still hard :/

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta admit tho, watching part 13 now, Green has definitely started improving. His willingness to learn more by himself and rely less on hand holding by the chat is also heartening. To me that's the essence of Souls, learning.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part 14: Jeff encounters Slimes for the first time.

If you've played Dark Souls before, you know what that entails. He should've known something was up the moment chat got quiet. I hope they make a gif of his reaction soon.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By handlas

Ya he is certainly getting better. But his strategy during boss fights is brute force it seems... keep swinging and heal nonstop until he kills the boss before it kills him. I think he is gonna hit a wall soon against the harder bosses/areas coming up. I can't wait to see him try to take on the tomb area where it's pitch black. Or venture down to the ghost guys and actually try to play that area.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expect the unexpected. Revenge is a dish best served Green in part thirteen.

Part thirteen!

Part fourteen expected to be up on YouTube shortly since it was streamed yesterday. Again, for the time being, here is the Twitch archive link.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

Ya he is certainly getting better. But his strategy during boss fights is brute force it seems... keep swinging and heal nonstop until he kills the boss before it kills him. I think he is gonna hit a wall soon against the harder bosses/areas coming up. I can't wait to see him try to take on the tomb area where it's pitch black. Or venture down to the ghost guys and actually try to play that area.

Yeah but isn't that what a bunch of folks kept saying about Vinny? And here we are, appointing Vinny as the darkest soul.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas: I think that's a good thing, actually. You need to be methodical, but the game lets you choose between being methodical in the boss fight itself (learning its tells, blocking/dodging properly) and being methodical in its preparation (choosing the right armor/weapons/spells).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.