Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Just beat Quelaag and rang the Second Bell (spoilers?)

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seauton

.....Now what? I know I need to go to Sen's Fortress, but I don't think I am at all ready for that. I had the help of another player and the NPC to take down Quelaag, so I am very unsure of myself. I am only SL 47, and I haven't killed Sif yet. I am pretty sure the Ceaseless Discharge is ahead, but I don't know that I am high enough level to kill him (it?). I'm not above using the "glitch" of him falling to his death, but should I just come back later and do it? I feel extremely lost, and am totally unsure of what to do, but at the same time I am really proud that I downed Quelaag. I have been putting off playing this game even thought I love it. In all honestly I am a little intimidated by it and everything I have read about it (yeah yeah I know, I should go it blind but fuck that). Anyhoo, sorry for the rant, anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Seauton

Update 10/12/2012: I killed Sif, and I may go after Ceaseless, but a few new things popped up. I have a few Souls of Bosses and was wondering who I give those to with certain weapons (I can look them up) to make the badass version of them (i.e. Sif's Souls to make the Artorias Greatsword). Also....maybe a little advice on what kind of weapon to use. I am a Warrior and I am focusing mostly on Vit End Str and some Dex, and am currently using a +10 Halberd (I spent a bunch of hours grinding souls and shards) and feel like before I go to Sen's, or more importantly Anor Londo, I'd like to get a pretty awesome weapon that'll last for a while. Thanks again for all your contributions so far!

Update 10/13/2012: Done with Sen's! Anor Londo looks daunting.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

I'd probably kill Sif. At that level he shouldn't be a problem especially if you're using pyromancy. If you don't want to do that then just go to Sens Fortress and try it out. It's a pretty easy part of the game except for a couple narrow walkways which can get a little annoying.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seauton

@laserbolts: Should I just back track and go back to Firelink to get to Darkroot, or is there a quicker way?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By YI_Orange

You don't need to go blind. The game may not give you any direction, but the community exists for a reason. I would steer clear of people who just try to tell you how to play the game though.

As for what you should do, depends what you have left. Moonlight Butterfly is easy if he's still up. Capra Demon shouldn't be too hard at this point, if he's still up. Gaping Dragon is really easy, though the dungeon leading up to him can be a nuisance(sewers). Ceasless Discharge isn't too hard, but you'll die very quick until you learn the timing on his attacks. Maybe try your hand at the catacombs. That place sucks, but the boss is really easy. Sif isn't a bad choice, you get some good souls by killing those forest guys every time Sif kills you, which may not even be much, though he can get weird. As for getting to him, just buy the thing for 20k souls from the blacksmith near Sen's fortress to open the door near the bonfire behind the secret wall in Darkroot.

Going to Sen's Fortress isn't the worst idea in the world though. That place can be tough, but it's gonna be no matter when you go there. The traps make it challenging, the enemies are pretty straightforward. The boss is one of the easiest in the game though.

The best advice I can give though, is to just pick a boss and commit. Don't give up unless you 100% truly believe you're not ready.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mustachio

There's no point killing Ceaseless until later in the game since your progress further will be blocked. As for your level, you're more than ready level-wise for Sen's. Hell, I'd say you're a bit over the average level for people entering that place. If you still feel unprepared, try waiting around in the first room of Sen's and look for a summon sign since phantoms will most likely go ahead of you, allowing you to stay on the safe side of any traps. You can go for Sif whenever you want, but there's certainly no rush to do so.

Oh, and that "glitch" with Ceaseless isn't a glitch, if anything it's the preferred way to kill him, and he even has specific animations for that scenario.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cmblasko

@Seauton: You don't need to fight Ceaseless Discharge yet. Just go back to Firelink and head for Sen's, you should be fine. You could head up the watermill in Blighttown then go Valley of Drakes -> New Londo Ruins -> Firelink. The difficulty in Sen's is more related to traversing the environment rather than fighting difficult enemies.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

Have you gone through the catacombs yet? Going and getting the Rite of Kindling would make Sen's Fortress easier.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By strainedeyes

I would hit Sen's next. That was my usual route.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By metalmoog

I think I did Sen's after Quelaag. Like the rest have said, it's not too bad enemy wise. Just a lot of traps and platforming type elements that will keep you on your toes. Nothing awful though, I found Sen's Fortress much less frustrating than the Capra Demon. Make sure you've got a Divine Weapon upgraded and good to go before heading into the Catacombs, otherwise it's a nightmare.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Your level is high enough for Sen's Fortress, just make sure your equipment is upgraded.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seauton

Awesome, thanks for the responses! Just to give more info....I have already killed the Butterfly, Capra Assbag and the Gaping Dragon (man the Depths sucked, but I managed not to get cursed)...but I am clueless as to what the Catacombs are and this Rite of Kindling. I'll certainly search for it to avoid being a pain, but an explanation would be awesome.

After seeing what you all have said, I think I may go after Sif, because that seems like a fun fight, then I'll head for Sen's. Thanks for all the useful tips!

@MetalMoog: Awesome icon btw. Saw them live, nothing like it.

Edit: To clarify, I know what Kindling is, and have done it once to a few bonfires, but I didn't know I can use something to Kindle some further. I'm assuming it just gets me more Estus flasks. Also, if anyone knows where another Fire Keepers soul is that is easily attainable (I got the one in the church) that'd be huge.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By strainedeyes

@Seauton said:

Awesome, thanks for the responses! Just to give more info....I have already killed the Butterfly, Capra Assbag and the Gaping Dragon (man the Depths sucked, but I managed not to get cursed)...but I am clueless as to what the Catacombs are and this Rite of Kindling. I'll certainly search for it to avoid being a pain, but an explanation would be awesome.

After seeing what you all have said, I think I may go after Sif, because that seems like a fun fight, then I'll head for Sen's. Thanks for all the useful tips!

@MetalMoog: Awesome icon btw. Saw them live, nothing like it.

The rite of kindling allows you to kindle bonfires further. It's not necessary to progress but it certainly helps to have more Estus flasks on hand (up to 20). The catacombs are beyond the graveyard area in Firelink.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seauton

@StrainedEyes: Awesome thanks!

Just to cover my bases, I'm going to figure out how to get a decent weapon and learn how to make it Divine. I have a ton of shards, so I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By strainedeyes

@Seauton said:

@StrainedEyes: Awesome thanks!

Just to cover my bases, I'm going to figure out how to get a decent weapon and learn how to make it Divine. I have a ton of shards, so I don't think it'll be that big of an issue.

That'd be a smart move, a divine weapon will make things a lot easier. The first blacksmith you met can do it for you and Green titanite is what you'll need.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mosespippy

@Seauton: There is a second Fire Keeper's Soul in Blighttown and another in the New Londo Ruins. The one in New Londo is probably easier to get. You just need to get past a handfull of ghosts. It's water level so just explore there and be careful where you step.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

I think I took a detour to the Great Hollow and then Ash Lake just to check it out, but I would go to Sen's after Quelaag.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Bass

Sen's is definitely the way to go if you are on first playthrough. Optionally, you could kill Sif, or Ceaseless Discharge, or Pinwheel. However, it doesn't really get you anything useful at this point. You don't need the drop from Sif until you have beaten two other bosses (at least). It doesn't make sense to go against Ceaseless until you are ready to spend some time heading to Izalith, and the same goes for the catacombs and Pinwheel.

By the way, your soul level is perfectly adequate for Sen's fortress and even the area after that (assuming you have been allocating your points somewhat carefully).

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Deusx

I find it so bizarre how new people are just starting to play the game when I've finished it like 10 times. Not being an asshole here, I love that game, it just feels weird. Anyways, well done man, don't give up!

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Tackchevy

Everything is going to be hard, but that's okay. Relentlessly explore. Upgrade your gear and intelligently drive up your SL toward whatever you're going for... A well rounded character is likely a poorly allocated character. I believe the slugs in the blight town swamp enclave were great resources for jacking up all my gear to compare benefits and potential and so forth. Just remember: the game is designed to make you feel lost, hopeless, and often depressed. Stay strong...

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Terramagi

Sen's Funhouse is less of a gear check and more of a "how competent are you" check. There are very few enemies in the area. It's the ENVIRONMENT you have to worry about.

Also, when you get to the roof, there's a hidden bonfire. Find it. It involves a drop.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bongchilla

I have never played this game but reading about it without any context sounds so awesome. The names of the enemies and places just sound so cool.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seauton

Thanks everybody for the advice and responses! I honestly think this is why the GB Community is the best on the Interwebs. Especially when talking about Dark Souls.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mustachio

Although the Rite of Kindling is really useful, you need to keep in mind that once you have it you'll have to fight your way back out of that nasty-ass place. I still say go with Sen's, but the magic of this game is that if you really want to go into Happy Skeleton Town, you can. If you can't get your hands on a divine weapon just remember this: killing the dudes who throw fireballs will stop his skeletons from being able to put themselves back together in that area, and he himself can not respawn.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mosespippy

@Mustachio: He can definitely get a divine weapon. There is one in Valley of Drakes right infront of the undead dragon.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Deusx: That's the whole reason why it's a good game, brings in new people over time and almost everyone loves it; it's not a game you forget about a month after its released.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By roland_d11

@Mustachio: The Catacombs are a pain, yes. A strategy I found useful if you want to go for the Rite of Kindling at this point is to go down there, kill Pinwheel and then use a homeward bone. Most players will only have the obvious bonfire at the start of the area activated. That makes the way back up more manageable.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CptBedlam

@Seauton: Go and do Sen's. Don't worry, you're way overleveled already. People do the boss in Anor Londo with your level.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mustachio

@mosespippy: True, but risky for a first-timer. That thing is also intimidating as hell if you don't know how to deal with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sen's Fortress was a pain in the ass my first time through Dark Souls. The enemies aren't tough, the Iron Golem is pretty easy but traversing the fortress can be a real pain in the ass and it only gets harder the more frustrated you get. Also be careful if your human because it's where I had the most game invasions.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Personally I always killed Ceaseless immediately after Quelaag: It's right there, you get formerly fantastic armor for it, and aside from the initial fire boom Ceaseless is one of the easiest bosses in the game, having never done it by making him fall. Additionally the souls you get from it will be quite useful then but not all that useful by the time you go to Izalith 5-25 hours later.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seauton

@Mustachio: I think I actually got that sword. It's by the "sleeping" dragon. It was shortly after I killed the Hydra, but I don't think my faith is high enough to use that weapon.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would go for the forest and get it out of the way before going to Sen's, cause once you go there you are on a set path and the game becomes more directed with more clear objectives all the way to the end.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By strainedeyes

@DexterKid said:

Personally I would go for the forest and get it out of the way before going to Sen's, cause once you go there you are on a set path and the game becomes more directed with more clear objectives all the way to the end.

That's not entirely true. It definitely feels like a set path to the end of Anor Londo, but you are still capable of going back whenever you want and once you beat Anor Londo the game really opens up with access to the lord vessel. Way easier to explore places, especially heading down to Ash Lake. And the change in objective still gives you 4 new paths to explore at your discretion.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JackOhara

I would suggest upgrading your gear as much as you can, then head for Sen's. I'd hate give out any spoilers, but consider heading to New Londo Ruins immediately after finishing Anor Londo. If you want to go this route, do NOT talk to Frampt in Firelink before finishing New Londo.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StrainedEyes said:

@DexterKid said:

That's not entirely true. It definitely feels like a set path to the end of Anor Londo, but you are still capable of going back whenever you want and once you beat Anor Londo the game really opens up with access to the lord vessel. Way easier to explore places, especially heading down to Ash Lake. And the change in objective still gives you 4 new paths to explore at your discretion.

I didn't say you can't go wherever you want. But it is entirely true that the game becomes more directed, because it specifically gives you objectives that go all the way to the end of the game. And the 4 different bosses that you have to kill are in the most difficult zones in the game and then it all leads to the finale. Which is why I said I find it best to get the forest area out of the way first. Going back to the forest after doing sen's and anor would feel like a bit of a step back to me.

I always forget about Ash Lake, cause I didn't even notice it in my play-through until I had done everything else and just had the final boss left; and when I finally went there, it felt really non-essential anyway.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Seauton

I just got the lightning spear in Sen's fortress....is it advisable to upgrade this and use it compared to my +10 Halberd? Also, fuck Sen's fortress.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By strainedeyes

@Seauton said:

I just got the lightning spear in Sen's fortress....is it advisable to upgrade this and use it compared to my +10 Halberd? Also, fuck Sen's fortress.

An upgraded lightning spear can take you straight to the end of the game. My personal go to weapon was a lightning winged spear.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Chippy180

@Seauton:

As said, the lightning spear is a fantastic weapon, especially for beginners as you can attack while blocking. Lightning buffed weapons also have a higher chance to knock back enemies and even though the element has been considerably nerfed since the game's initial release, they still hold their own just fine.

Sen's Fortress is a real bitch the first time through, but the feeling of satisfaction when you conquer it and reach Anor Londo is one of the most rewarding aspects of Dark Souls. Following orange soapstone help signs is key, as is summoning, they'll see you to safety.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mustachio

@Seauton: Although useful, you should know that the boss in Anor Londo is especially resistant to lightning, so plan accordingly.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By kieran_smith5

Now I want to play Dark Souls again. Damnit!

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seauton

@Mustachio: @Chippy180: Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.