Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Keep going through Anor Londo or go to The Catacombs?

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

I had a "Load my last save" kind of situation in Dark Souls and I was able to make it to Anor Londo. There seems to be a secret room where I need a ring that is found somewhere in The Catacombs. I think I never went there or to the Tomb of Giants. Should I keep going through Anor Londo or backtrack there? Damn skeletons are really hard and the Necromancer just keeps killing me. Would making a divine weapon make it easier? (playing a Sorcerer)

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hippocrit

The room in Anor Londo you're talking about is very easy to return to. I'd say finish in AL and come back after you've done the catacombs in your own time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Yes, a divine weapon would make it easier, least to get the skeletons outta the way before you kill the necromancer, then you can kill the skeletons with whatever you choose. For the most part, anyway. There are still some that'll continually reassemble unless killed with a divine weapon. I would also vote catacombs, if only because I think it's handy to get the rite of kindling from beating Pinwheel ASAP. Though that always depends on how good you are; if 10 estus flasks are enough, if not more than enough, then there's no rush for the catacombs.

Those 20 flasks would make it easier to trial by fire your way in figuring out the patterns of O&S, too. However, beating O&S will unlock fast-travel, which'll make it significantly easier to return to the catacombs, soo...

I'unno.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think you are better off finishing Anor Londo because of *minor spoiler* You unlock the way to the tomb of the giants there, and get the ability to warp between fires.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you're best off taking no ones advice personally or seeking it, and doing what you feel like, in all honesty. That's the best part of the Souls games is going your own way and having your own experience. If you feel once you're in a new area you don't want to be there, just leave and go somewhere else.

That's just my preference, though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pause422 said:

I think you're best off taking no ones advice personally or seeking it, and doing what you feel like, in all honesty. That's the best part of the Souls games is going your own way and having your own experience. If you feel once you're in a new area you don't want to be there, just leave and go somewhere else.

100% agree with this sentiment.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@pause422 said:

Don't quite agree. Dark Souls has numerous points where you're 'too late' to obtain a certain weapon, join a certain Covenant, have a crucial person as a vendor and so on. Some people don't want to find out they missed out on something they wanted.

For this particular case it doesn't matter though. You can do whatever and nothing will be lost. But I recommend keep going through Anor Londo. Being able to warp between bonfires is key for everything. It makes the game less frustrating also.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@zevvion said:

@pause422 said:

Don't quite agree. Dark Souls has numerous points where you're 'too late' to obtain a certain weapon, join a certain Covenant, have a crucial person as a vendor and so on. Some people don't want to find out they missed out on something they wanted.

For this particular case it doesn't matter though. You can do whatever and nothing will be lost. But I recommend keep going through Anor Londo. Being able to warp between bonfires is key for everything. It makes the game less frustrating also.

Nothing is crucial. If something bad happens to you because you did or didn't do something then that's in the spirit of the game. Following a step by step process of how to get everything and have everyone live is a lame way to play. If you're going for everything then you're gonna end up doing a third play through anyway, so you can just do it differently the next time around.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese
    SlantedRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd say try to finish Anor Londo since you're there, but if you get to the boss, S&O, and are having a lot if trouble (they are TOUGH) then maybe backtrack into the catacombs, beat pinwheel and get the rite of kindling so you can upgrade your bonfires to restock up to 20 estus flasks. Which in turn would then make S&O much easier

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: You should have bolded and put emphasis on the next sentence I wrote also: Some people don't want to find out they missed something they wanted.

Nowhere did I say you need all things. If you believe it is worth playing the game 4-5-6 times to figure out how to get a specific spell then more power to you. But some people just want to not bother figuring that out themselves over the course of 200 hours, and just get it immediately. For instance, I missed Wrath of the Gods twice. When I first saw a NPC invader use it, I thought: I want that. But, I didn't use any FAQ's my first two times, nor consulted any forums. So I missed out on it, easily.

If you think it is lame to just check up on if you missed something you might have wanted to use, then I suppose you thought Vinny and Patrick did incredibly lame runs. Not saying you are wrong; there is some merit to saying a pure playthrough without any outside influence is more fun to watch, but for someone who is just playing the game themselves and for themselves alone: who cares? They are right to just double check. Not everyone wants to spend 200 hours with a game. You talk about third run as if it is a given everyone does that.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@zevvion: I think Patrick had a fantastic run (never saw Vinny's), because he missed out on soooo much but still had a blast playing through the game. What he didn't get didn't bother him. Patrick also knew when to disregard advice. He knew before hand that Lautrec being alive would result in something bad but he chose to let him live because that's what he would have done had he not known.

I never said don't look up stuff on your second play through. I said have your first play through be the result of your natural choices. You can't ever have that experience on a subsequent run, but you can have the clean play through on any run.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I did Anor Londo before I did the catacombs.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I think Patrick had a fantastic run (never saw Vinny's), because he missed out on soooo much but still had a blast playing through the game. What he didn't get didn't bother him. Patrick also knew when to disregard advice. He knew before hand that Lautrec being alive would result in something bad but he chose to let him live because that's what he would have done had he not known.

I never said don't look up stuff on your second play through. I said have your first play through be the result of your natural choices. You can't ever have that experience on a subsequent run, but you can have the clean play through on any run.

We are probably thinking the same thing. But due to what you said previously it seemed as if you thought looking anything up at all is lame. As Patrick looked up several things, I named him as an example why I don't think it is. Also, to come back to the example I made earlier: grinding through the game several times to finally find out how to get a certain spell you wanted, is a horrible way to play a game. I wouldn't think less of anyone looking something like that up.

Sidenote: leaving Lautrec alive actually gives better results eventually then killing him on the spot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.