Lack of summon signs

#1 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

I've been in both the Tomb of G's and Demon Ruins and have not seen hardly any summon signs. What is the reason? I am a member of the Darkmoon covenant. Is this causing a problem? I got from wiki that certain covenants make summoning others members more/less likely depending on their covenant affiliation.

THX

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@LaudaSolem said:

I've been in both the Tomb of G's and Demon Ruins and have not seen hardly any summon signs. What is the reason? I am a member of the Darkmoon covenant. Is this causing a problem? I got from wiki that certain covenants make summoning others members more/less likely depending on their covenant affiliation.

THX

Being in a certain convent give you a higher chance of seeing those signs. But I had the same for the Tomb. I HATED that place. Not sure that many people would wanna be summoned into total darkness.  

I have 360 version as well and never saw signs in that are. And even if I did..would not summon them. *But  didnt see any*  

Or you might just be in a empty lobby. Dark Souls uses a lobby system to match people. And there is a chance you are in one with no people. OR that you are just over leveled. When I went back to Anor at level 55 ish I saw signs left and  right and got invaded every 5 mins ( Killed them all!) 
#3 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

I noticed the same amount of summon overload in Anor as well. There were three or four signs at the door to O & S. I summoned someone before doing the Four Kings in New Londo. I think there are certain unpopular areas people just don't want to hang out in.

I want to finish this game. 80 hrs in and have to beat Nito and Firesage demon (hate that fucker).

#4 Posted by Fierrze (171 posts) -

I just visited Dark Souls today after a break and i noticed too that there are less summon signs around. I tried to get summoned at the Four Kings and at the Gargoyles on different character but no luck. This was on the PS3 version.

I think it has something to do with people moving to other games (Skyrim) and such.

#5 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

Funny thing happened to me: I got invaded and killed in the Demon Ruins. After respawning, I reversed hollowing and a was invaded again by the same person. I could see her way out in the distance running around looking for me. Suddenly I get messaged via Xbox Live. It's the invader asking me if I "need anything."

I replied, "Yes, don't kill me" as she already killed me once and I was trying to summon someone for the Firesage Demon. Thankfully, she said OK and left. She had a badass weapon too, some kind of huge executioner's axe, said she got it at the "kiln," whatever that is.

#6 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Lots of things factor in such as availability of the spot, difficulty of the boss, time of play, the number of weeks away from the game's release, your character level, which console you're playing on. You're probably going to tackle Nito, Witch of Izalith, Seath and 4 Kings alone because nobody would ever want to get summoned to those places, and it is more convenient to run for the boss than to tackle the monsters.

#7 Edited by Chop (1991 posts) -

Those just aren't summon hot spots. For the most part, summon signs are rarely found in the later stages of the game. The four kings and the second bonfire in Duke's archives are pretty much the only late game areas you'll find any in these days. I have NEVER seen a summon sign in the catacombs or demon ruins. 

#8 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

If you save and quit, with it reset the server you're on?

If I go human and don't see any signs next to say the second bonfire in Dukes archives, can I quit and reload to try again? I'm having a tough time with seath for some reason 9and the run up to the boss sucks as well...fucking clams....)

#9 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

I have seen summon signs at the fog before the Firesage Demon and at the bonfire. I also saw a walkthrough on youtube where the guy had a player assist for Nito. I would assume that a reset would "stir things up" but would not guarantee help. I have never seen summons signs in Duke's Archives, although I waited a long time for one to appear. Did you make sure to destroy the crystal in Seath's lair? That bitch regenerates until it's destroyed. My strategy for Seath was just taking my time. I ran in a circle to avoid his breath, popped his tentacle legs once or twice, then did it again. I also had 12 estus and had humanity for HP loss for just such a purpose.

Here's where I got assists:

1. Quelaag, NPC assist

2. Gargoyles, NPC assist

3. O & S, Player assist

4. Four Kings, Player assist (but I got killed)

#10 Posted by Bass (692 posts) -

@LaudaSolem: Using a summon on Four Kings is generally a bad idea because it is the only boss where it actually increased the HP and spawning patterns of the Kings. Just an fyi.

#11 Posted by golguin (3830 posts) -

Your luck in finding someone to summon into your game is dependent on your soul level, location, and the time of day. If your level is too high or too low for an area then you wont see any signs even if there are people there putting their sign down. Some areas don't see a lot of action because of the location. Most fog gates will have a good number of signs (if you're the right level), but the least popular areas that I've seen are the Four Kings and the Tomb of the Giants at normal levels. However, Nito's gate in TofG sees a lot of action at high soul levels (80s-100s) because PVP people will farm humanity from the little skeletons. For time of day I suggest 3-10pm on weekdays and all day on weekends.

#12 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Because fuck the tomb of giants. I'm not even kidding; most people probably don't want to go to that wretched place any more than they have to.

#13 Posted by Sprawl63 (3 posts) -

A couple possible reasons for that, really.

The Tomb isn't a popular destination. First, its the goddamn Tomb, which is a nightmare in the first place. Its a long, dangerous trek to Nito, more possibility of the host dying. Second, Nito isn't that hard himself as long as you have a Divine weapon to put down the skeletons for good. Some bosses, like Biggie Smalls, Vagina Dragon, Kellog, and the 4 Kings, are more popular because they're difficult (high demand) and are easy to get too. Meanwhile, the Bed of Chaos, Nito, and Seath aren't because the ways to the bosses are harder then the bosses themselves.

You also might be overleveled or underleveled. Keep in mind that you can only summon/be summoned by people in your level range.

And no, being in the Darkmoons has no effect. The Princess's Guard and Way of the White tends to bring its members closer together (and less likely to be invaded) and the Sunbros expand the level range that you can be summoned. If you're having trouble finding summons, try the two former.

#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Sprawl63 said:

The Tomb isn't a popular destination. First, its the goddamn Tomb, which is a nightmare in the first place. Its a long, dangerous trek to Nito, more possibility of the host dying. Second, Nito isn't that hard himself as long as you have a Divine weapon to put down the skeletons for good. Some bosses, like Biggie Smalls, Vagina Dragon, Kellog, and the 4 Kings, are more popular because they're difficult (high demand) and are easy to get too. Meanwhile, the Bed of Chaos, Nito, and Seath aren't because the ways to the bosses are harder then the bosses themselves.

You also might be overleveled or underleveled. Keep in mind that you can only summon/be summoned by people in your level range.

And no, being in the Darkmoons has no effect. The Princess's Guard and Way of the White tends to bring its members closer together (and less likely to be invaded) and the Sunbros expand the level range that you can be summoned. If you're having trouble finding summons, try the two former.

Lol Sunbros. Thats great. 
#15 Posted by Sprawl63 (3 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Sprawl63 said:

#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Sprawl63 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Sprawl63 said:

He found his sun after all.. *Sigh* That moment kinad made me sad. 
#17 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@HotSauceMagik said:

If you save and quit, with it reset the server you're on?

If I go human and don't see any signs next to say the second bonfire in Dukes archives, can I quit and reload to try again? I'm having a tough time with seath for some reason 9and the run up to the boss sucks as well...fucking clams....)

Protip: run from bonfire to boss without killing enemies. And Seath himself should be very easy if you have high curse resist and don't want to cut off his tail.
#18 Posted by GeneralMojo_786 (219 posts) -

all i can say is, Demon Souls was a much better game.

#19 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

I finally defeated Nito (and hte Firesage Demon after). What a relief.

Take out the skeletons around Nito first, just like the dogs with Capra, or you're in for a bad time. That's 90% of the battle. Nito is easy as long as you're patient.

I not only come into boss battles w/10+ estus, I also use humanity if my life's low.

#20 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

@Grissefar: I tried that once but those fucking clams followed me into the boss room....At least I think they did. Im just gonna throw on some high curse resist gear and go nuts on him. I would like to get his tail but if I don't oh well. He does make it hard though. He spins around pretty fast.

Nito was easy peasy. All i have left are Izalith, the 4 kings and Seath, then the final boss I guess?

#21 Edited by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@HotSauceMagik said:

@Grissefar: I tried that once but those fucking clams followed me into the boss room....At least I think they did. Im just gonna throw on some high curse resist gear and go nuts on him. I would like to get his tail but if I don't oh well. He does make it hard though. He spins around pretty fast.

Nito was easy peasy. All i have left are Izalith, the 4 kings and Seath, then the final boss I guess?

Only the first time because of cutscene instead of white mist. Good luck on getting his tail because getting it sucks a giant dick. You will die instantly by his tail lash and one time I almost killed him by hitting his tail at the tail end, or so I thought, but it didn't come off so i said adios and killed him in the belly till he died.
#22 Posted by LaudaSolem (57 posts) -

I heard about the clams, but I had no prob w/them. I got sick of them, and ran past them into the fog. They didn't follow. I read that they might follow you the first time you cross the fog but not after that.

I'm wishing they port Demon Souls over the 360. There's definitely a demand for it.

#23 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I think I don't care about cutting off Seaths tail. I'm just gonna run straight in tonight and bash it to hell.

#24 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik said:

I think I don't care about cutting off Seaths tail. I'm just gonna run straight in tonight and bash it to hell.

The way I found to get his tail off solo and Easily is to run in with Light armor as you need the endurance / speed.. Have a strong weapon to 2H and run to the crystal that needs to be cut.. Have Seath shoot you as you stand near it and he will break it himself, Stunning himself in pain for a good 8-10 seconds. At this point, Run around and 2h the Very tip of his tail. It should only take 2-3 hits which I believe in the time frame you can get in a 4th if you missed on one of em. I did htis on 2 characters and it worked each time first time.

Also on the OP's topic, it also has to do with your level and the area. Catacombs I saw a ton of signs but in tomb I only saw maybe 2-3 and they were always where the NPC night invades you near the cliff there there is light.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.