Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Die: 45 Hours With Dark Souls

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By pandashake

I've yet to read the article (in case of spoilers since I stopped myself from reading after 'free a certain someone from a cell'), but I'd like to comment how amazing dark souls is. I've never played demons souls, but I love the combat, the animations, and how almost every enemy you encounter never seems like fodder enemies given how much damage they could do and how good their ai is and how intimidating they usually are.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Xeiphyer

18 hours in so far and loving it. The game takes a bit to get going, but once you figure out where you should be heading, its a lot better.

As a note though, because of the way they changed the magic system to limited casts, its essentially impossible to be a pure mage, until very late game (Which can't be reached being a pure mage, of course). So that's a bit of a bummer, but I always preferred building hybrid anyways. The early game was very rough though.

Also, coop is completely busted, and that really really sucks. They broke the game servers up into many smaller ones, so its very likely you aren't on the same server as your friend and thus will never see each other's symbols. I really hope they can patch in something to fix this, because a lot of people, myself included, want to play through with a friend at some point and right now its nearly impossible.

VikingChux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#103  Edited By VikingChux

Really appreciate all the time you guys have given this game so far. The videos and articles have been awesome, and that Quick Look totally sold me on the game.

It's already one of the most satisfying and intriguing games I've played this year. With so much else coming out this Fall/Winter, this game's going to be a hard one to beat for the stories I have to tell and the way the game makes you feel (usually scared of dying). The sheer amount of "Holy Shit!" moments are staggering.

I'm also finding this WAY more playable than Demon's Souls. I already feel like I've made more progress than I have in Demon's, and the difficulty is just brutal, not unfair (so far).

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#104  Edited By kingzetta
    @jozzy said:

Great write-up!

You still kill enemies and collect their souls, which are used both as currency and as a means to increase your level; you still lose all the souls you’ve gained if you die and are forced to march through a horde of resurrected enemies to reach your corpse, and if you fail to make it back, all the currency you’ve earned, sometimes representing hours of grinding, is permanently destroyed. Two strikes, and you’re out, in essence.

Losing hours of grinding? I guess that's when you get a really high level because I have never lost more than 10 or 20 minutes of souls. Until now I have been fine by hitting a nearby bonfire or merchant after a dangerous encounter and just spend those souls on levels or arrows/firebombs/..

yeah it's more when it takes 30,000 souls to level up. I'm level 20 and it only takes like 2400 souls.
    bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By bigchief

I'm glad they're giving Dark Souls more attention than Demon's Souls, which they only touched on when Vinny came back to it fairly recently. It's made for some very interesting conversations the last couple of weeks.

Also, Rorie is awesome.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Rattle618

Im confused about the title, is this article about Steve Jobs?

ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By ma_rc_01

When I was fighting the second boss on the bridge (the lion thing?), I screamed in joy when I saw it backstep down and fall to its death

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By Xeirus

Oh my gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwd.... I would love to play this game, if only they would bring it to the PC. I'm not holding my breath though :(

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By DonPixel

@Rorie: Great write-up Rorie thanks

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Freezer_Burn

How many puppies does that translate into?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By jozzy

@kingzetta said:

@jozzy said:

Great write-up!

You still kill enemies and collect their souls, which are used both as currency and as a means to increase your level; you still lose all the souls you’ve gained if you die and are forced to march through a horde of resurrected enemies to reach your corpse, and if you fail to make it back, all the currency you’ve earned, sometimes representing hours of grinding, is permanently destroyed. Two strikes, and you’re out, in essence.

Losing hours of grinding? I guess that's when you get a really high level because I have never lost more than 10 or 20 minutes of souls. Until now I have been fine by hitting a nearby bonfire or merchant after a dangerous encounter and just spend those souls on levels or arrows/firebombs/..

yeah it's more when it takes 30,000 souls to level up. I'm level 20 and it only takes like 2400 souls.

Indeed, I am around lvl 20 too (bit higher I think). I can see it taking a lot of levels before you'll need 30k.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Chop

@Xeiphyer said:

18 hours in so far and loving it. The game takes a bit to get going, but once you figure out where you should be heading, its a lot better. As a note though, because of the way they changed the magic system to limited casts, its essentially impossible to be a pure mage, until very late game (Which can't be reached being a pure mage, of course)

Not true at all. My character is 100% magic spec'd (all my points have gone into intelligence or attunement, I don't even carry a weapon besides the catalyst) and I'm doing fine so far. I just rang the second bell and I haven't come across any major problems. I mean, with six spell slots I haven't gotten close to any situations where I lacked enough magic to proceed.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By kingzetta
    @jozzy said:

@kingzetta said:

@jozzy said:

Great write-up!

Indeed, I am around lvl 20 too (bit higher I think). I can see it taking a lot of levels before you'll need 30k.

it was like level 70 in demon's souls
    PureBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By PureBacon

Fantastic write up, thank you

Would love another Real-Talk or video, you found the underground passage to my heart and used the master key to horde my large nameless skeleton soldier soul.

-bacon

RunningRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RunningRaptor
    @WSGabler

@Rorie: Only you would quote Rilke when speaking of video games. You're the best.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Sooty

@ptys said:

The game sounds great but the thing that gets me is stuff like Gamespot saying "Game Of The Year 2009" and giving this recent version an almost perfect score? How does this as a stand alone product potentially compete with franchises like Mass Effect, Bio Shock and Elder Scrolls if all I'm hearing is that it's really hard, really slow and really rewarding. I'm not criticising, I'm just curious? I can crank the difficulty in ME2 up to Hardcore, play extremely methodically and have a really rewarding experience as a well. Perhaps it's more about how people rush through video games nowadays, not taking in the full experience and so in a game like this they are forced to play like alot of us already do?

Mass Effect 2 is still pretty easy even on insanity, at least that's what I thought, all it does is give the enemies more health, shields and damage. A lot of the encounters are pretty trivial on that game, Dark Souls is definitely on another level of difficulty, there's the risk/reward factor to consider too. Mass Effect is just die > reload game try again. I don't really get frustrated when dying on it, where as on Mass Effect it felt like all of my deaths were from getting knocked out of cover or stuck somehow.

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117  Edited By Enns

Online is so messed up. The way servers are set up it's tough to play with others. They need to rid this multi-server shit or at least up the 10 levels difference. If this had been set up like Demon's Souls you'd be seeing a shit load more bloodstains than this. I mean, think about how many times you die and where alone. There would be a lot more summon signs and ghosts running around. Even the way factions are set up it revolves around people being able to connect to each other. Hell one faction is based entirely on hunting down players that have been put up on a hit list. So many other game mechanics ruined because of this. I don't think they knew how to publish this set up in a larger region than Japan.

Outside of that major issue, I really am enjoying the crawl through Dark Souls. Everyone should try and get the wolf ring, it's awesome. It gives +Poise letting you bypass most stun animations, including guard breaks.

Oh if you don't know what I'm talking about. Blah

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#118  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Xeiphyer said:
    As a note though, because of the way they changed the magic system to limited casts, its essentially impossible to be a pure mage, until very late game (Which can't be reached being a pure mage, of course). So that's a bit of a bummer
    Not true, not true at all. All I've been upgrading during level ups is my Attunement and Intelligence as a starting class of Sorcerer and I've been destroying enemies as I was in Demon's Souls. Soul Arrow is actually quite damaging and the initial limit of 30 or 60 is plenty for bouts between bonfires.
    megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#119  Edited By megalowho

I respected Demon's Souls but gave up on it early on, just hit a wall I did not want to climb. Dark Souls went from a zero interest game to something I had to try again, more honestly this time, and sure enough I've been falling under it's spell. It's fucking brutal and wonderful stuff. This was a really good read that gives a glimpse into what makes the series so compellingly bleak and unique.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#120  Edited By Spence_5060

Don't wanna sound weird or anything, but he kinda just spoke to my soul ( Please, no pun intended). That is really what I enjoy from Dark Souls the most. The exploration, the scarce information, and the discovery, and eventually conquering of it all that truly makes this one of my most favorite game. Even though I have died countless times.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Nas.

TheKbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TheKbob

It's one of the few games that I HAVE to force myself over the "you're doing it wrong" feeling. So many other games (like long ass JRPGs in general) that have multiple approaches or ways to play nurture my feeling of looking things up.

I am trying to stay away from that as little as possible. Make the game more of "This was my Dark Souls experience..." discussion point instead of going for the Min/Max character.

I'm running "Geralt", a white haired swordsman with high str/dex and works a bit on End/Vit. Thought about going for some spells, but I dunno. Might be too hard to branch out that many different directions. My bow = my spells :P

I gave several bosses and large minions sweet doses of murder tonight. Was fun!

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By MisterMouse

awesome rorie doing some writing here! And this game intrigues my like no other, and it is refreshing in the modern game world.

heav3nzwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By heav3nzwarrior

I love this game Im only 2 hours in and have only dies twice. I hope I can keep my deaths to a minimum.

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
    goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

I yelled fuck a lot today.

periodic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By periodic

Matthew Rorie you are a cool dude.

ArchTeckGuru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ArchTeckGuru8

Just picked this up, cannot wait to run into players and die.

P00zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By P00zombie

Excellent summation, rorie!

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Vigil

@xobballox said:

I love Nas.

One love.

TheHakku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#130  Edited By TheHakku

A couple times where I beat some little bosses, I actually shouted. Just because I've died so many times at their hand prior to the killings. Such a great game.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By RadixNegative2

I missed out on Demon's Souls for various reasons, but I'm really glad I got the chance to play Dark Souls. This game really is quite amazing, particularly its online implementation.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By RazielCuts

I love how Matt's name to the article is simply just 'Rorie' :D

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RobertOrri

I am still working on Demon's Souls before I even so much as dip a finger into this one.

Able

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Able

Giant Bomb convinced me to get this game. Fromsoftware owes you something.

Depth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Depth

Enjoyable read.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#136  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

@Chop said:

@Xeiphyer said:

18 hours in so far and loving it. The game takes a bit to get going, but once you figure out where you should be heading, its a lot better. As a note though, because of the way they changed the magic system to limited casts, its essentially impossible to be a pure mage, until very late game (Which can't be reached being a pure mage, of course)

Not true at all. My character is 100% magic spec'd (all my points have gone into intelligence or attunement, I don't even carry a weapon besides the catalyst) and I'm doing fine so far. I just rang the second bell and I haven't come across any major problems. I mean, with six spell slots I haven't gotten close to any situations where I lacked enough magic to proceed.

Same Here, I'm early in the game still but I'm going pure magic an I see no problems on the horizon. Zapping dudes with magic arrow. And this is my first time playing this game ! I don't own a PS3 so Dark Souls is my first souls game, still no problems.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You could totally kick in Demon's Souls, Rorie (and some weapons have different stuff mapped to the up+attack, like the scimitar). The jump attack is new though.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#138  Edited By Little_Socrates

That's why we puff lye?

GenesisZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By GenesisZ

Awesome Read! Enjoying the game so far. It was never so fun to Die!

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By buneroid

Good article. I agree with the part about the constant autosave. Too many games allow you to make really hard decisions, see the outcome, then load up the save again and make a different choice.

Cessate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Cessate

@Aishan said:

Good write up Rorie. I'm equally eagerly awaiting and dreading the arrival of my copy in the mail tomorrow. As a 360 player I never had a chance to play Demon's Souls, but I am more than aware of it's reputation through both the original Giant Bomb Quick Look and some "Let's Play" footage I watched some months back.

The Quick Look you did for Dark Souls last week really piqued my interest, and that little chat with you had with Kessler confirmed my decision. I'm in the mood for something challenging right now, and although I don't really agree with some of the design decisions, mainly the obfuscation of game mechanics, it definitely seems like a game worth my time.

At least until Skyrim gets here.

This, exactly this,

subtleglitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By subtleglitch

i just picked this up on the 360. i must say, at first i was extremely frustrated with the game, dying every few minutes by swarms of enemies. but once i started grinding, and figured out what area is best for me to explore at my level, things became more satisfying.

i think this game has great potential, and is definitely very challenging. it may teach me more patience, for future games i play :)

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#143  Edited By MachoFantastico

Great read Matt, this game fascinates me even though I know I'll probably hate it in the end. Have to give it a chance though. The combat seems like a blast and I can see why it's beloved.

Would love to see another Quick Look with the online features in mind, first QL was a blast.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @G0rd0nFr33m4n said:

@Chop said:

@Xeiphyer said:

Same Here, I'm early in the game still but I'm going pure magic an I see no problems on the horizon. Zapping dudes with magic arrow. And this is my first time playing this game ! I don't own a PS3 so Dark Souls is my first souls game, still no problems.

Hmmm, I guess I gave up too early on pure magic! The 30 charges felt like way too little to clear an area and a boss, no idea how you guys were doing it. Now that i've bought some more magic it seems a lot more viable, but that early game with only 30 soul arrows still seems impossible to me.
    gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By gesi1223

@RobertOrri said:

I am still working on Demon's Souls before I even so much as dip a finger into this one.

Same. Had Demon's Souls for 5 months already and have barely even scratched the surface on it. Very far from even touching this new one..

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By McShank

@Cessate said:

@Aishan said:

Good write up Rorie. I'm equally eagerly awaiting and dreading the arrival of my copy in the mail tomorrow. As a 360 player I never had a chance to play Demon's Souls, but I am more than aware of it's reputation through both the original Giant Bomb Quick Look and some "Let's Play" footage I watched some months back.

The Quick Look you did for Dark Souls last week really piqued my interest, and that little chat with you had with Kessler confirmed my decision. I'm in the mood for something challenging right now, and although I don't really agree with some of the design decisions, mainly the obfuscation of game mechanics, it definitely seems like a game worth my time.

At least until Skyrim gets here.

This, exactly this,

Skyrim can go to hell.. This game is GOTY quality if you can get over the fact you will die every few minutes till you learn what your doing.

Krelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Krelle

I wonder if Jeff & Ryan will continue to ignore this masterpiece. They never even gave Demons Souls a chance.

Thank god we have Rorie around to do it justice.

lozenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#148  Edited By lozenge

For whatever reasons, that headline is the funniest one I've ever read (video game related).

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#149  Edited By kalmis

Good article and really looking forward to playing this. Demon's Souls was one of my GOTY last year.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By fattony12000

So, so Rorie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.