Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Looking back at a year of Dark Souls

Fantus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fantus1984

I've just about finished Dark Souls (again) with a sorcerer this time. Taken me a year to do it since I've been doing it as a let's play since Janauary when I started the youtube thing. Just got poor old King Gwyn left now but he is nothing compared to the expansion content.

I've just put a little montage together to remember my time in the game and been sharing the magic that is Dark Souls with everyone

I

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Wow, nice job duder. Enjoyed that, even if my sound was fuckled. I should really get around to playing this game, but I needed a psychological break after getting torn apart for months in Demon's Souls. Maybe I'll be ready for DS2 but who knows.

Favorite boss?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Really enjoyed watching that. What an unforgettable game, literally. I think about going back and playing it all the time.

Fantus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fantus1984

@geraltitude:

Hrmmm...no text appeared - Knight Artorias was a particular favorite since I hadn't done him on my orginal play through on the PS3.
    Before that it was Gravelord Neto because he just looked badass, oh and Ornstein & Smough

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#5  Edited By MightyDuck

I really need to bite the bullet and finally give Dark Souls a shot. I've always been hesitant because of the higher difficulty that's always discussed.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By weegieanawrench

@mightyduck: Yeah, I say go for it and don't let the learning curve trouble you. There's plenty of threads and helpful people both here and over at r/darksouls on reddit. You will die a lot, but it's the name of the game, and every time you die you'll learn something new about your strengths, play style, weapon preference, enemy habits, etc.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How did you find your sorcerer build going?

The only gameplay I've seen of magic builds have been insane people that focus on the Lower HP = Higher Damage tactic, running around at 15% HP.

How is it playing as a normal character without any crazy gimmicks?

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

@fantus1984: Too many bosses, not enough stupid deaths. There has to be shots of:

• Accidently falling to your death.
    • Being kicked to your death.
    • Being eaten by a Mimic.
    • Being one-shot by an enemy you didn't see.

for it to be a proper Dark Souls montage.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By MormonWarrior

Tried to play some more Demon's Souls in NG+...it's just not doing it for me. Cheap, obnoxious enemies are far more plentiful in it and the level design is such a bore. I'd rather keep playing Dark Souls over and over and over again even though I have all the achievements and weapons and keep messing around.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Damn, maybe I should start capturing some DS footage because all of those happen to me practically every time I sit down to play.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By wchigo

@mb: I'd subscribe to a channel full of that content. :)

Fantus1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling:

The Sorcorer was a lot of fun since I played ranger on my first play through of the game. Having range was an advantage and early on the spells did insane damage. Later on you could kite enemies & bosses easily but the game started giving everything more spell resist - especially in the Dukes Archive. That was a ball ache, espically Seath the Scaless

The other thing I can critize the sorcorer for was the lack of a diverse range of spells. All the attack spells were forms of soul arrow but a little bit stronger. It only got interesting once you rescue Logan who gave you the homing soul mass & spell shield/weapon. The only other one I use was remedy in the swamp section of the globe of light in the tomb of giants :)

This has been address in Dark Souls 2 when I got to play the better :P

@mikelemmer:

Well I did have 16 hours of content to scroll through - never got eaten by a mimic and played the game before so wasn't one shotted. Never came across any pvpers as well except in the castle walls.

I didn't fall to my death either from what I can remember except off the lifts in the swamps. :P

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By gatehouse
    @mb said:

@mikelemmer said:

Damn, maybe I should start capturing some DS footage because all of those happen to me practically every time I sit down to play.

Over 200 hours of play and I still fall foul of a couple of those.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mikelemmer: Also don't forget, your spear type weapon just whiffing air because of bad lock on.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shit makes me want to go play Dark Souls all over again. Good stuff.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mightyduck said:

I really need to bite the bullet and finally give Dark Souls a shot. I've always been hesitant because of the higher difficulty that's always discussed.

I wouldn't necessarily say the game it difficult, per se. It's more that the game bucks current gaming trends by forcing you to be patient. To survive, you need to learn your environment, learn enemy placement, learn enemy attack patterns and even learn how to best use your equipment. You also learn by doing, which is why you can expect to die. A lot. But it's also a game that rewards patience, exploration and experimentation. I haven't had a feeling in gaming quite like when I beat a boss that I've been banging my head against for the past hour, knowing that I have an entire new area to explore.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

Ive played and watched a lot of dark souls this year.

Played: PS3 once and PC once

Watched: Vinny and Jeff Green videos

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HerbieBug

@wwfundertaker said:

Ive played and watched a lot of dark souls this year.

Played: PS3 once and PC once

Watched: Vinny and Jeff Green videos

If you're looking for a fascinating alternative perspective, try watching one of the speedruns. The strategies have gotten quite unique over the past few months, especially since the discovery of the weapon swap glitch. The swap glitch allow you to transfer the moveset of one weapon to another in a sort of limited capacity. So, for instance, you can make the black knight halberd do the charge attack from the estoc.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

A magic short sword, a shield, and sorcery. Pretty much identical to my experience as a Sorcerer. Nice job making it through.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.