Looking for a good Lets Play

#1 Posted by css_switchfoot (119 posts) -

Anyone know of one?

#2 Edited by ThunderSlash (1730 posts) -

Granted I haven't seen the whole thing, but I find Helloween's Let's Play to be fairly amusing. Plus, you can pretend that it's Wheatley that's playing.

#3 Edited by audioBusting (1549 posts) -

Geop's LP from the Something Awful forums is an obvious choice for an entertaining Dark Souls Let's Play. Patrick Klepek posted an episode on the Worth Reading some time ago, I think. (The episode where they played the game like it's Castlevania.)

#4 Edited by Roland_D11 (190 posts) -

EpicnameBro's first playthrough on Youtube is very good, his channel is awesome for Souls games. The ZeitGestReview playthroughs are fun to watch as well.

#5 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Rurikhan is pretty much the most well informed guy on Dark Souls and Demon Souls.

#6 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Like audioBusting recommended, Geop's playthrough is really the best out there if you're looking for a completely blind playthrough. He has a bunch of others support him via Skype and give him subtle hints now and then.

Well edited and funny.

#7 Edited by Xymox (2088 posts) -

Northernlion. His LP is broken up by some PVP videos as well which is a nice touch.

@thunderslash said:

Granted I haven't seen the whole thing, but I find Helloween's Let's Play to be fairly amusing. Plus, you can pretend that it's Wheatley that's playing.

... and like the above user mentioned about Helloween & Wheatley, but in this case Nothernlion sounds just like the guy from Khan Academy.

And as mentioned, epicnamebro. By far he has the best dark souls content on youtube. At least if you're interested in the lore side of things. He also played the Japanese version which is cool.

#8 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

Uh most of "epicnamebro's" stuff is nearly invented by himself and has no actual in game backing of any kind. I would take anything he says lore wise with a grain of salt, it is actually startling how many people consider him to be some sort of perfect source of info. I have seen the dude argue insane theories based off nothing but what he thinks a statue looks like.

#9 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

epicnmebro has a bunch of really good series and guides for dks. Also check out Rurikain. Dude's got like 8 lp's om his channel. Highly imformative and pretty entertaining as well.

#10 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

Seraphim17 has a lot of great Dark Souls content including a few playthroughs. His channel is still pretty small but his content is great and he has a wonderfully dark sense of humor.

#11 Posted by Baal_Sagoth (1261 posts) -

I'll second this! He's generally a very good LPer in my opinion.

#12 Posted by Kaiserreich (699 posts) -
#13 Posted by Dietomaha (111 posts) -

HunterStarcraft helped me out a ton when I was first getting into the game. His videos are more informative than entertaining though, I dunno if that's what you're looking for.

#14 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Check out Lobosjr. He does speed runs and challenge runs of Dark Souls on an almost daily basis. Want to find out if Gwyn can be killed with only bare hands? Lobos is your man. :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/LobosjrGaming

And his Twitch page for unedited past broadcasts and current live streams.

http://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

#15 Edited by SerHulse (685 posts) -

Geop's LP from the Something Awful forums is an obvious choice for an entertaining Dark Souls Let's Play. Patrick Klepek posted an episode on the Worth Reading some time ago, I think. (The episode where they played the game like it's Castlevania.)

Here is said video.

I'll also throw Geop's LP into the ring, it's fantastic.

#16 Posted by Fattony12000 (7417 posts) -

I played Final Fantasy VII on a website one time, and I have yet to play Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, does that count?

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

EpicnameBro's first playthrough on Youtube is very good, his channel is awesome for Souls games. The ZeitGestReview playthroughs are fun to watch as well.

Yeah, i can back up that recommendation for EpicNameBro's channel. Also be sure to check out his lore videos, they really help you understand the story and world alot better.

#18 Edited by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

Shameless self promo. My friend and I are in the process of a Dark Souls LP right now. We've only got one short episode so far, but we definitely plan on recording more. I know we don't have a whole LP yet, but we're getting there!

#19 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -
#20 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If you want to make yourself feel bad about how good you are at DaS, go look up some speedruns.

#21 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

@hedfone said:

Dark souls with James! Anyone who wants a new endurance run should watch this, it's incredible.

Yep, can vouch for this. Been a big fan of GameFront since first getting hooked on James' 'Expert' walkthroughs. He's a very funny guy.

They also recently completed NG+ and a Demon's Souls walkthrough, too.

Edit - One of the classic moments in their initial DkS walkthough - Dark Souls With James PT. 63 - A Leap of Faith.

#22 Posted by XaroX (9 posts) -

666theheartless666's Let's Play or "Let's Attempt" as he calls it is amazingly hilarious

#23 Edited by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Uh most of "epicnamebro's" stuff is nearly invented by himself and has no actual in game backing of any kind. I would take anything he says lore wise with a grain of salt, it is actually startling how many people consider him to be some sort of perfect source of info. I have seen the dude argue insane theories based off nothing but what he thinks a statue looks like.

"No actual in game backing" is a bit of a stretch. Watch through his lore series, and all of it is based on some form of in-game information, albeit few being quite literally word-of-god level stuff since those simply don't exist in the game outside of the few pieces of lore information Miyazaki has put forth.

It's also worth noting stuff that are simply based on partial and vague information is always predicated by "this is a theory" by him.

On topic, I'll third the suggestion of James' Dark Souls walkthrough. 190 episodes and 502 deaths.

#24 Edited by JordanK85 (140 posts) -

If you like watching funny LP's that involve amazing failure that isn't the result of pure incompetence then I suggest Overthegun's playthrough.

#25 Edited by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@turambar: This is the issue, 90% or more of what he says falls under "this is a theory" and I see quite a large amount of it on forums bandied about as if it came out of a dev's mouth.

#26 Edited by Turambar (6784 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@turambar: This is the issue, 90% or more of what he says falls under "this is a theory" and I see quite a large amount of it on forums bandied about as if it came out of a dev's mouth.

Considering the stuff that devs themselves have confirmed (like Ceaseless Discharge being the brother of the witches and Darkroot Garden being Oolicile) were figured out by ENB quite awhile before hand, when it comes theories that have no word-of-god confirmation, his have a lot of weight to them.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

This Epic Name Bro is the place to go for Dark Souls Related video content.

#28 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -
#29 Posted by audioBusting (1549 posts) -

@zicdab: That site's really good but it only includes completed Something Awful Let's Plays, so there's no Dark Souls on it yet anyway.

#31 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5488 posts) -

@serhulse: @audiobusting:

Geop's is okay at best, quite possibly the worst person ever to play Dark Souls; extremely boring. Really good co commentators can't save you from a mediocre experience overall; now if it was a pure blind run that would be something else entirely (of course he probably would have quit somewhere along the line since he did the same for Demon's Souls).

Best multiplayer

Best singleplayer

#32 Edited by mano521 (1224 posts) -

all i can say is dont watch Day9 play it. Maybe The Heartless would be a good one to watch. I enjoy his humor most of the time. Plus he seems to know what he's doing. (sort of)

#33 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

watch me dangit

#34 Edited by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

Kikoskia and Hamst3r are my two favorite LPers.

Sorry, didn't see this was under Dark Souls board, none of the LPers I mentioned have done a Dark Souls LP. My bad.

#35 Posted by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

im streaming right now .. tune in!!!!

#36 Posted by ignatz27 (26 posts) -

I think Matt Lees & team deserve a lot more views. Best GB-style endurance run I've seen outside GB. First one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RgM4Gz1Xaw

#37 Posted by Fexnoose (1 posts) -

@css_switchfoot: The BEST Let's Player for Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 is Warchildv1 www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdrlDxypBR9gTqlWLWc5uKQa4ncTn8c2l I love his videos and he always has new ones every day

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.