looking to go back and replay/finish this game...

#1 Edited by heartlessomen (115 posts) -

<p> but i'm at a loss as to what kind of character to roll...tried scouring the webs and was unsuccessful in finding anything that piqued my interest. So, this leads me to the GB forums...not sure how populated the DS forum is any more but I figured i'd ask.<br /><br />Any character build suggestions for an old DS player coming back to the game? </p><p>(also, just fyi, i haven't payed the game since AotA released or since they rebalanced(?) a lot of stuff in that 1.?? patch)</p><p>thanks for the help!</p>

#2 Posted by ahab88 (240 posts) -

I'm no expert, but I've always heard the pyromancer is good to roll. I need to get back into it myself, but I have neither the time, nor patience to start over. Although rerolling might save me more frustration in the long run.

#3 Posted by StudsMcKewl (70 posts) -

I played and beat this game for the first time very recently, but my understand is that pyromancer is the way to go. I played through as a knight and used literally 0 magic, but I don't think that's the norm...

#4 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

Pyromancer starts at lvl 1 so it gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of how to build your character. But I would say that the class you start out with doesn't really matter that much. It only determines what you start out as. If your a little rusty, you could always start with a knight who has good armor and a decent shield. In fact, you could probably beat the game with the set the knight has by merely upgrading everything. Knight set becomes pretty beastly once everything is at +9 or +10.

#5 Edited by SnakeLinkSonic (273 posts) -

@gogosox82 said:

Pyromancer starts at lvl 1 so it gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of how to build your character. But I would say that the class you start out with doesn't really matter that much. It only determines what you start out as. If your a little rusty, you could always start with a knight who has good armor and a decent shield. In fact, you could probably beat the game with the set the knight has by merely upgrading everything. Knight set becomes pretty beastly once everything is at +9 or +10.

Obsessing over builds before starting seems to tax some people more than it should, as what @gogosox82 says is true. How do you prefer playing the game? Are you a defensive player, aggressive, have certain weapon affinities? Jump in, find out what you're good/comfortable with before getting crazy about min-maxing.

#6 Posted by TobbRobb (4639 posts) -

It's all taste man. Just play something fun. I like to do twohanded warrior builds. Who needs a shield or magic anyways.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2662 posts) -

If you want something easy (albeit boring) just dump points into int and spells with some endurance now and then. Since some patch (no idea which one) magic is stronger than pyromancy and it has quicker casts and better range. My favorite on the other hand is a strength build. Levelling up str and endurance pretty evenly allows you to use the bigger and stronger weapons pretty much as soon as you get them, and wearing heavy armor and shield allows you to just walk up to anything, block and then crush their face.

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4169 posts) -

My first time through was a strength/stamina build. I pretty much had enough heavy armour that I could withstand any attack and I'd just 2 hand my halberd attack everything else. I'd have to adjust my gear for certain encounters but it was easy enough not having to care about dodging or blocking.

Having done a little bit of Pyromancy in all my builds it seems to me that Pyro is a good damage dealer. Pyro spells have no requirements so you can use it in all your characters. Other things I always have with me: 99 prism stones (for crystal caves), 99 throwing knives (for blight town mosquitos) and a bow with poison arrows (for Anor Londo Archers).

#9 Posted by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

Pyromancer, shield and spear. If you level up you flame hand and buy more spells for it, it can destroy just about anything.

#10 Edited by heartlessomen (115 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions. Back in the day i probably played a good 20-30 hours before I got distracted by other games/life. When I used to play I had a couple of characters, one that was just for laughs (a caestus wielding puncher), I think I started a cleric, and then I also had as my "main" a pole arm/shield/magic user.

I think what id like to try this time is something both a bit challenging but fun. Was thinking either full melee STR build or possibly an archer? As I've never really played the game either of those ways. Any suggestions on builds centered around those?

I'm also kinda into the whole "theme" builds as well (y'know where you pick a character from a show or another game or something and try to make it in game) but I can't seem to find any characters that interest me. Any suggestions here would be welcome as well! (Coolest/dumbest build I found so far was a dual xbow char on reddit lol)

Thanks again guys for the input!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.