Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

LOVE the level design in Dark Souls

XivSpew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By XivSpew

So far to me, the level design in Dark Souls stands out as some of the most unique and aesthetically awesome I've seen in ages. Thing is, I'm not sure it ended up that way on purpose; much of the layout seems as if From Software sketched and laid out everything spatially as much as their crazy brains would allow, but in a very modular fashion. Every room, platform, and hallway piece by piece seperately, then stitched them all together into one long insane universe, then designed the actual architecture and geography of the world to justify the pre-existing layout. The end result feels like something that's just shy of anything in reality, with barely any symmetry or focus, chaotic with just enough resemblance to the way people would actually design buildings. This adds immensely to the feel of the game, because not only am I always slightly uneasy, but I've never even thought of needing a map because everything's been burned into my subconscious as I see it.

It's very reminiscent of what I've always imagined the city of R'lyeh to look like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R'lyeh

No Caption Provided

Non-Euclidean geometry in games. Whaddya guys think...great or super-great? Any other examples of stuff like this?

XivSpew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By XivSpew

So far to me, the level design in Dark Souls stands out as some of the most unique and aesthetically awesome I've seen in ages. Thing is, I'm not sure it ended up that way on purpose; much of the layout seems as if From Software sketched and laid out everything spatially as much as their crazy brains would allow, but in a very modular fashion. Every room, platform, and hallway piece by piece seperately, then stitched them all together into one long insane universe, then designed the actual architecture and geography of the world to justify the pre-existing layout. The end result feels like something that's just shy of anything in reality, with barely any symmetry or focus, chaotic with just enough resemblance to the way people would actually design buildings. This adds immensely to the feel of the game, because not only am I always slightly uneasy, but I've never even thought of needing a map because everything's been burned into my subconscious as I see it.

It's very reminiscent of what I've always imagined the city of R'lyeh to look like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R'lyeh

No Caption Provided

Non-Euclidean geometry in games. Whaddya guys think...great or super-great? Any other examples of stuff like this?

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By musclerider

There are places that might be interesting as concepts but are such awful things to play that they almost made me put down the game. Tomb of the Giants, Blighttown, and Crystal Cave being the worst offenders.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I just love that it's one big world and you can see the other areas of the game in the background of the area that you're in. So fucking cool.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

I agree but so far the ONLY area I don't like aesthetically is Anor Lando.  It looks too clean and simple.
    What I have seen so far reminds me of videos of early stages of 3D modelling before they insert all the detail.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@musclerider said:

There are places that might be interesting as concepts but are such awful things to play that they almost made me put down the game. Tomb of the Giants, Blighttown, and Crystal Cave being the worst offenders.

I didn't mind Blighttown that much, and I've only been in the first 50 feet of Tomb of the Giants so I can't fully judge it yet, but yeah. FUCK the Crystal Cave. Such horse-shit, whoever designed that and thought it was good design should be punched in the mouth then fired.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Nadril

Crystal caves is bull but you can look up the right path to beat it real easy. I didnt have nuch of a prob with the tomb.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

The art direction is great. I don't think the level design is amazing at all, but it works for what the gameplay is. Since obviously I'm not supposed to be solving puzzles, jumping off the walls, and platforming.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Turambar

I easy moded crystal cave by being summoned as a white phantom multiple times and memorizing the route we took.  Also, walking slow and steady, you can pretty much make out the paths through both the player left text and the snow flakes.  That said, the curved path to the blue titanite slab had me falling off it the first time.

Tomb of giants on the other hand is some excruciating nightmare the first time, and when you bring either the cast light spell or a sunlight maggot the second time, its trivialized.  All the enemies still have reduced vision but you suddenly can lock onto them much further away.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By bkbroiler

It reminds me very much of Jak and Daxter, another linear open-world game where you can see where you've been and where you're heading to. Both are other-worldly and fantastical and have great art direction, and I love both.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McShank

I enjoy the art and level design alot. It is one of the reasons i have almost invested over 92hours into 1 playthrough. Farming, exploring, going back a TON to finish all npc quest lines. It is something i wish more games would have.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MezZa

I've really been enjoying the level design as well. There are some which were hell at first, but I suppose that just makes them more memorable.

Avatar image for pepitoneconqueso
    PepitoneConQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PepitoneConQueso

Ash Lake is the best, so epic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.