Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Magic aiming bug

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HerbieBug

There's something glitchy about the targeting when it comes to magic.  Soul arrow specifically.  I haven't tried pyro spells.  Throwing items seem to function correctly so far.

On several occasions my character has completely wiffed a locked-on soul arrow shot when I had a clear line of sight on flat geometry to an enemy.  No objects in between myself and the enemy, no weird positioning.  I was within range to target.  Target locked on.  Character inexplicably aims 45 degrees to the right and fires at a wall.   I think it might have something to do with the targeting bias for non-targeted shots (no lock on set).  Sometimes I have noticed my character will aim for barrels if I just fire off a shot at random in an area with no enemies around.  The game might have a conflict between non-lock on bias and locked on shots, with the non-lock bias winning out even when lock-on is set.  

This never happened in Demon's Souls, even when I was hanging half off a staircase trying to hit a guy stuck in the geometry of a wagon.  Never a problem.  This is new.  It needs patching.  :/

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Might just be a problem specific to Soul Arrow though, since it has homing capabilities now. I really don't know, though.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HerbieBug

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  I tested a little bit with the crossbow just now and no such issue came up.  Only Soul Arrow so far. 

thisguyrich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By thisguyrich

i really hope its not a big problem as the aiming was one of the few things i was really hoping theyd fix.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By kingzetta

soul arrow does not hom
    homing soul arrow does though

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @kingzetta said:
    soul arrow does not hom homing soul arrow does though
    No, Soul Arrow definitely homes. Or it was a bug, because that thing was deviating like crazy depending on the enemy's movement from the little I played of it.
    HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HerbieBug

The shot will curve but you have to be locked on to the enemy for it to work.  Homing soul arrow's behavior is a different piece of business.   

I don't think it's the curvature of the shot causing the problem though.  My character firing in a different direction entirely than the enemy I have targeted is the issue.  Like I said, 45 degrees or more to the side.  It's hard to replicate.  Most often occurs on the first shot towards a given enemy.  Subsequent shots fire and hit correctly. 

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By pjacobson21

I wouldn't say it homes it exactly cause you can easily miss, but it definitely follows the target (much more so than soul arrow in Demon's Souls).
    I noticed the exact same thing today when I was playing.  You're right, I would be locked on with my character facing the locked on target (like normal) but when I go to use the spell my character pretty much just fires it into the floor. Specifically I seem to have noticed it does this after I had previously been locked on to another target, killed it, then the game auto locked me on to a new target. My next shot at the new target is a bust.  It doesnt do this every time, maybe 3 times over 3 hours of playing today, so I definitely think it is a glitch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.