Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Mimic is the scariest sh#t ever!

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

You touched without knowing, you get devoured. That itself is already pretty scary.

BUT!!!

Even if you knew and attacked it before it had a chance to attack, when it stands up with its boney legs, and when thin arms and the giant tongue come out from the chest and slowly walks to you, it is freaky. Everything about it does not look normal...

So, my questions; what is the scariest looking monster in Dark Souls that you think?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

yeah the mimic's pretty disturbing, but I think the scariest is the zombies in the painted world with the giant fucking growths that spit fire at you. D:

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I just met the Mimic last night, took me by surprise for sure - also taught me to throw a fireball at every chest I plan on opening from here on out.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Zabant

The frogs.

The eyes man...THE EYESSSS

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McQuinn

The tentacle things in Lost Isalith. So many eyes, so many tentacles, one giant mouth on top. Easily the freakiest thing.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By imsh_pl

The fucking frogs.

Jesus fucking christ.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

I just saw a Mimic last night. Scared the piss out of me.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

Yep, nothing beats the frogs. Thank god there was no one around me to watch my reaction to when I fell on their "nest".

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperWristBands

The first mimic was oh so surprising. I yelled "Holy Christ!" when the first one in Sen's Fortress caught me. I was already on edge because I hate narrow ledges and mixing them with swinging blades makes for me being uneasy. I barely survived and if it had killed me I'd have probably been heart broken. Also, it took me being caught by a mimic twice before I started attacking the chests before opening them.

I gotta hand it to FROM, they managed to make things super intense in so many levels. Like Tomb of the Giants or Crystal Caves (I used a good 60 Prism Stones trying to find out how to get to the item in the far corner of the caves). I was on edge for the entire time I was exploring those places.

As for the most disturbing monster... there are a lot of good examples in this thread already but I'd probably go with what McQuinn said. Those many tentacled, many eyed monsters with a mouth for a body.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've not seen every monster there is to see, but the frogs are definitely the creepiest I've had the pleasure of meeting. Not difficult to deal with, but they're freaky regardless. On a related note, there's something disconcerting about the way Alvina talks. I don't like those cat noises combined with human speech.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Shadow

The gaping dragon is still the scariest looking thing I've seen in the game

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank

The tentacle things in lost izalith for sure. Huge razor filled teeth mouth on top of their head with a dozen eyes and tentacles that spit out acid.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By bkbroiler

Either the Gaping Dragon or the Mimic. The way that thin moves and the tongue is so creepy.

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By trylks
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By zidane_24

When I first found a mimic (found it by attacking the chest, had enough people tell me to attack every chest before opening), and saw him do his little high kick move, I was reminded of this picture and made a comment to my onlooking friend that the mimic "likes to sing-a". They have not disturbed me or my friend since.

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jawshua

You can figure out what is a mimic because the chest moves slightly.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I lucked out with my first Mimic since there was a warning sign in front of it, however once I poked it with my spear and it woke up that wrecked me a little. It's even worse when they go in for the hug.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Valames

The butcher is definitely the freakiest monster for me in this game. Creepy big silent bastards.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shirogane

Defeinitely the Lost Izalith tentacle creepy thingos are the worst.

Those Clams were pretty freaky too, until i killed about 500 of them or so.

And my first mimic got crushed by a boulder. it was somewhat amusing.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

Mimic pissed me off today. I was in Sens Fortress and everyone is talking up this amazing spear in the mimic chest. So I go down and I fight him - I read his moveset wrong and he leaped at me while I was healing and I died BUT then he steps into the way of a rolling boulder and dies. Of course he doesn't drop anything or at least theres nothing there when I came back to that area.

The Red Dragon glitched out and died on me and I couldn't get the Drake Sword - now this mimic suicides and his loot disappears.

In Demons Souls if you killed something and it dropped off a ledge or whatever it's items would be there even if you died - like Yurts armor.

Well I guess I'll make MY OWN lightening weapon Dark Souls.

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mariek430

Those big ass orb things aint their eyes, kill one and zoom in with a bow or something, they got tiny little yellow eyes.

Or maybe they have four eyes

I still don't like the dogs that breathe fire, seriously a dog breathing fire.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By bkbroiler

The tiny little eyes and the smile are freakier than the big fake eyes, though. ;_;

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shady

It honestly minds me of the mimics in Ultima IX. That isn't a compliment by the way.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Mariek430: You're right, they do have normal sized eyes, those HUGE balls on top of the head are poison (I guess technically curse) sacks....and they're terrifying

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the treasure chests being boobie traps too.  As if everything else in the game wasn't already absurd enough.   The corpse pillar things in Tomb of Giants are pretty fucked up.  Then again meeting half of these things in real life and I'd most likely shit myself.  Mimic is high on the list though.  

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I think my award for "creepiest fucking shit that's ever crossed my living path, ever" must go to the frogs on my second encounter. The first I simply assumed they were shooting poison, and had plenty of purple moss. Why should I be worried, right?.. Right.. Or the Gargoyles in the painted world. They had an almost translucent look to their skin, and what looked like starved human bodies with clearly outlined bones. The way they moved, the fashion in which they hunkered down and then jumped at you was completely unpredicatable, and genuinely lethal. To make it worse, the game forced you along a narrow, winding stair leading upwards with no rails and a certain death beneath, making a roll an impossibility, yet a necessity if you didn't want to have half your life stolen inside of a moment.

Also, the hydra was fucking creepy, especially when you got to see it up close. I mean, jeeesus.

Honourary mention to the Mimic, ofcourse. Died that first time, brutally so. Not to him eating me, but due to his bloody kick. A box that eats people, fair enough. A box that knows kung-fu and eats people, haaaaang on. Once I got further into the game, I loved seeing mimics, I always knew "Shitlaods of souls and grand items", so they lost their imposing effect on me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

After the first mimic I started swinging my sword at pretty much every chest first, before opening it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Valames said:

The butcher is definitely the freakiest monster for me in this game. Creepy big silent bastards.

They make those inhuman moans.
    I was almost paralyzed with fear first time I fought one just because of the sounds, he wasn't much of a foe otherwise.
    Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
    thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By thehuntsmen5434

Yea, the mimic was extremely disturbing. First time at Sen's Fortress then everyone after that I had to check. Shiiiiiiiit even with a new game I'm always nervous opening the early chests.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By John1912

The mimic is awesome. Best enemy design in the game I think. I dont find it all that scary, but it really finds the mark in shocking and surreal. Honestly nothing in the game is all that scary. I think if I had to pick, Id go with the mind flayers from the last game. Loved that level. They game me the creeps with their lamps, and the chimes ringing in the background.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti

Good D&D stuff there those mimics.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mason

I haven't been eaten by a mimic yet, and I'm in no hurry to try.

The first one I found in Sen's Fortress, seemed a little too conspicuous. We just never see chests just sitting in the middle of a room like that. They're always off against a wall. Since there were traps everywhere in the fortress, I guess I was on guard enough to notice. It looked as if the chest was placed there just to bait me. So I instinctively hit it with an arrow, and yikes, I was still surprised.

Honestly, the goofy way they kick and prance about is seriously creepy, and it hits like a truck.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Jawshua said:

You can figure out what is a mimic because the chest moves slightly.

And is discoloured slightly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.