Miyazaki unsure about a Dark Souls sequel?

#1 Posted by MysteriousFawx (382 posts) -

After reading the interview thats been posted around a few sites now, originally from Edge. Heres what he had to say.

"“We don’t even know if we’ll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don’t know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes, so I cannot give an exact answer.”

Miyazaki was referring to the frame-rate issues in Dark Souls when speaking about the team’s mistakes. He told the magazine that “there were technical difficulties” in making the game and explained that the large scope of the project contributed to the issues.

“Yes, there were technical difficulties. I don’t believe that it’s okay to have them, but realistically speaking, it was quite a large-scale game – even in terms of budget and expectations. So we’re very sorry for the trouble we’ve caused by our processing errors and bugs from Japan. It was a title that we haven’t really experienced in all aspects, so there were areas where we felt our technical side couldn’t keep up with the game’s scope, like an increasingly growing ache. I didn’t mind the growing pains. We accept the game as it is, and that it’s just a part of the learning curve.”"

To me this is insanity, when games from Bethesda release with more bugs than is physically possible to track, including patching in new ones. From Software seems quite seriously set back that the playerbase encountered framerate issues in one area of the game (more than 1 area of the game if you played the 360 version and looked at the wrong angles admittedly). The honesty and approach to design is simply staggering to me, for a creative director to come out and say this shows how highly they think of the Souls series and that they're not accepting any less than perfection. From Software, I salute you.

What do you guys think about this? Simply a developer trying to get more praise, or a company that is genuinely unhappy with the quality of the release?

#2 Edited by pweidman (2319 posts) -

His comments sure seem genuine to me. Just points to the sincerity of these devs and their passion to make great games. This kind of commitment should ensure some smart publisher ponies up and backs the next installment easily, let alone how fantastic the game really was anyway despite it's unforgiving style and(real or perceived)difficulty.

The game sold well enough didn't it? And I thought the critical reception was excellent, as it deserved.

What complaints by gamers are these guys taking so much to heart I wonder. There were some FR issues in certain areas, but have people really made such a big deal about that? Maybe I missed those.

Can't help but notice the difference in PR positions and perspectives between the east and west here. Sorry.

#3 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It seems very Japanese to me. Guess it's a cultural thing. Dark Souls is a critical and commercial success, as far as I can tell. I'm sure they'll get to do another one and I'm confident that they'll try and outdo themselves.

It's just an alien attitute, but they're Japanese and I'm not, and I guess that's why it seems like an odd thing to say in his position.

#4 Posted by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

This is a little disappointing. Dark souls is one of my favorite games of last year and would love to get some more.

#5 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

I love some more, and it did sell very well.
So there shouldn't be a problem, investor - money wise.

#6 Edited by cyraxible (686 posts) -

He's being wayy too hard on himself, which I guess is the normal Japanese way of conducting business, and it seems entirely genuine. I really really hope that they make more Souls games. The Souls series are my favorite games to come out of this generation. No one else is doing what From is doing.

#7 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

I prefer this kind of attitude as opposed to some sort of prideful, self-satisfied one.

#8 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

that really bums me out because I really like the series.

#9 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

The technical issues were the least of Dark Souls' problems.

#10 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Wow its nice to see this sort of stuff. Jesus with the bugginess of alot of the games that came out last year Dark Souls framerate is hardly that bad. I hope they do make another because Dark Souls is really something special. One of my favorite games to come out this generation even though I cant fucking get through tomb of the giants.

#11 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Seppli: It's a Miyazaki thing, not a Japanese thing.  Nomura has never owned up to any of his mistakes or fan backlash.  And his pride almost cost Hawaii a modern film industry.
#12 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

I appreciate his honesty and actual passion, but this makes me kind of bummed for him. He gave me one of my favorite games this console generation. Wish he would go to PAX or something so fans could tell him how much they appreciate his game

#13 Posted by Spoonman671 (4588 posts) -

I don't know if I need a Dark Souls 2.  Especially, if they start promoting it with, "and this time it's even harder," the way they did with Dark Souls.

And tell me what the fuck that pendant is for!  I picked the fucking thing because you said it would eventually do something interesting, but nobody knows what the fuck it's for!

#14 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

This shit almost brings a tear to my eye. Shows you these guys actually have integrity, and shows what kind of people it takes to make games as tight as the Souls games. Also, Demon's Souls was never meant to have a sequel, even after its unexpected success in the states, so I wouldn't rule out another game in the series solely based on these comments. Makes me happy to see people actually owning up to their mistakes, unlike the boiler-plate bullshit Bethesda deals out. But comparing the "bugs" in Dark Souls to the bugs in Skyrim is completely ridiculous, anyway. One game has minor framerate sunspots; the other is entirely unplayable on one platform.

#15 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1104 posts) -

I would enjoy a sequel to the franchise. They are moving in the right direction, and just need to tweak some of their gameplay concepts a little. So far, the slowdown was only terrible for me in Blighttown. That place would have been totally bearable if it went smoother.

#16 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

I would enjoy a sequel to the franchise. They are moving in the right direction, and just need to tweak some of their gameplay concepts a little. So far, the slowdown was only terrible for me in Blighttown. That place would have been totally bearable if it went smoother.

Even then, one of the most recent patches (1.05 I think) seemed to clear up a good handful of that frame rate lag for me.

Personally, I think Miyazaki is being an emo bitch. Can someone slap him with the dickton of money that they made and all the high acclaim and say "are you fucking retarded - stop being a whiny bitch and make some more of these already!"?

I can't think of any other developer that is making something ORIGINAL like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls in the last fuck-knows-how-long. Letting that die because of whatever crazy shit you've got going on in your emo head is a dumbass idea, Miyazaki.

#17 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

@Spoonman671: I think you're suppose to trade it to the crow dude for an item

#18 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Wow, this seems crazy to me. I wonder if this guy knows that there is a company out there that consistently ships fucked up broken games, simply doesnt give a fuck about the fact that the game is broken, and then still sells a shit ton of copies.

I think its cool that he actually cares that much about those kinds of things and it makes me love what the Souls games are even more that the developers actual care and listen to feedback. The part that worries me is the whole thing about not being able to get another chance. If we dont see another Souls game I will be one sad panda.

#19 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

We already voted with our wallets, now it is in the hands of the board to greenlight a potential sequel.

#20 Posted by stryker1121 (1394 posts) -

It sounds "very Japanese" to me as well, but methinks the fella doth protest etc etc. He damn well knows fans adore the game to death...hundreds of deaths actually. If i didn't know better I'd say he's fishing for compliments.

#21 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

"Me so sorry" "Me so sorry"

#22 Edited by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

It's nice to hear that he's adamant about making up for any mistakes in Dark Souls, but I'll be happy as long as they make a sequel at least as good as Dark Souls. I wasn't really put off by a lot of the issues in the game.

#23 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@Spoonman671 said:

I don't know if I need a Dark Souls 2. Especially, if they start promoting it with, "and this time it's even harder," the way they did with Dark Souls. And tell me what the fuck that pendant is for! I picked the fucking thing because you said it would eventually do something interesting, but nobody knows what the fuck it's for!

Pretty sure the whole "Prepare to die!" thing was Namco's doing in the West. As for the pendant, you trade it to the Crow at the Asylum to get a Souvenir of Reprisal. You use those to rank up in the Dark Moon Covenant.

As for a Dark Soul's sequel, they'd be stupid not to make another one. The series has come a long way from its King's Field roots.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.