Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Modder "Fixes" Dark Souls PC Resolution Issues

• 174 results
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By PixelPrinny

@UglyGeezer said:

Reading the comments here is a timely reminder of why I don't post on this site and probably never will again.

You must be new to the Internet. Welcome! Remember to get your parents' permission before clicking on any content guarded by an age-gate!

Hatp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Hatp

@neverdeed said:

editing an ini file and slapping on a d3d9 processing dll is not "modding" and it wasnt 23 minutes, he had the pirated version and clearly was using an illegal copy for atleast a day

idiot.

VoodooTatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By VoodooTatum

@DaemonBlack: My thoughts exactly. I was waiting for this to be released on PC. If they didn't have a clue how to properly port it over then I'm not sure what the point is. I have a gaming PC to play the best looking games not to play xbox looking games.

Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Anderson

@Hatp said:

@neverdeed said:

editing an ini file and slapping on a d3d9 processing dll is not "modding" and it wasnt 23 minutes, he had the pirated version and clearly was using an illegal copy for atleast a day

idiot.

Mysh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Mysh

@Begilerath: Genius might be stretching it, but it is certainly clever. I agree with you that it's wrong to disrespect the developers of the game about it too. Certainly they'll be a lot more familiar with the game engine, and at least as familiar with Direct3D, so they must've had their reasons for locking the internal framebuffer resolution. It might be some tiny issue that affects 1% of the game's content, but for that reason couldn't get past the QA department.

Ultimately I think there's one mistake with this mod; billing it as a fix, when really it's just a hack, albeit a clever hack. A fix implies something is broken, a hack or mod is just an enhancement. All the ENB mods for Skyrim and GTA IV aren't taken as a slight against Bethesda or Rockstar in the same way because they lack the same insinuation of a failing on the studio's part.

That's the great thing about PC gaming, so much room to enhance already well-made games. It is a shame about some of the ill-informed comments and flaming here, but I guess joining the Glorious PC Master Race will (only) occasionally turn otherwise affable people into whiny arseholes. :)

UglyGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By UglyGeezer

@PixelPrinny said:

@UglyGeezer said:

Reading the comments here is a timely reminder of why I don't post on this site and probably never will again.

You must be new to the Internet. Welcome! Remember to get your parents' permission before clicking on any content guarded by an age-gate!

I'm 44 years old and have been using the internet since it's birth. Comments like yours and the biting I'm seeing here is a nice reminder for me to stick to more mature communities...... Trolling and back-biting are rife, doesn't mean I have to enjoy it or take part. I thought this sort of nonsense was the the likes of Gamespot, clearly I was wrong.

ta ta

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#57  Edited By jacksukeru

In other news, I think it's really cool that you can now help people defeat Havel. His particular section was cut off from the Undeadburg co-op area before.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Leptok
    @Turkalurch

I hope they welcome the mod support from the community.

This could be a good thing if From Software handles this the right way.

They are Japanese, do you really expect them to?
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By hakunin

@VoodooTatum said:

@DaemonBlack: My thoughts exactly. I was waiting for this to be released on PC. If they didn't have a clue how to properly port it over then I'm not sure what the point is. I have a gaming PC to play the best looking games not to play xbox looking games.

So you don't really know what a 'port' is, I take it? Also nice hyperbole there at the end.

To the guys still jumping down that guys throat: good going guys, ride that bandwagon.

@PixelPrinny: Way to be a condescending dick, dude!

mmmskyscraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mmmskyscraper

@DaemonBlack said:

Cool that a dude did that. Sad that he needed to.

This should have been the first reply.

DanteFaustEsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DanteFaustEsq

@test0r: I know what to think about PC gamers it's the same thing I've thought about them ever since the PC resurgence of late. That most not all are elitists who are more concerned with how much they can overclock their systems and how good a game looks then really playing them. Almost everyone I've met who is primarily a PC gamer has constantly looked down on me because I prefer a console. Once again not all just most.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By PixelPrinny

@hakunin said:

@PixelPrinny: Way to be a condescending dick, dude!

Pot meet kettle, dude!

But you're right. I profusely apologize for gleaning some laughter at the expense of someone making a snide remark on a throwaway account. Truly what I did was immoral and it's good thing you called me out on it.

*facepalms*

tonygxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By tonygxp

Most people just want to play PC games, just the vocal ones are dicks about it. I don't think that expecting a game to run nicely is asking too much. They can say all they want that they're not doing a good job, but that doesn't really excuse anything. If you're a programmer and someone is paying you to do a job, telling your boss that you're working hard but that you aren't doing a very good job is a pretty great way to get fired. The analogy isn't perfect, but they aren't charging 'not a very good job' prices.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PixelPrinny

@UglyGeezer said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@UglyGeezer said:

I'm 44 years old and have been using the internet since it's birth. Comments like yours and the biting I'm seeing here is a nice reminder for me to stick to more mature communities...... Trolling and back-biting are rife, doesn't mean I have to enjoy it or take part. I thought this sort of nonsense was the the likes of Gamespot, clearly I was wrong.

ta ta

You're 44 and you're making a throwaway account to tell people on a random news article how crass and bullish they are and how it offends your senses so that you're glad you never comment here? Come now, you should be more mature than that at your age. If you've "been using the internet since it's birth", I'm sure you would be well aware that such posts are seen as completely absurd, pointless, and as venomous as the posts you supposedly despise. So either you're a troll using a throwaway account, or you're a retard. Take your pick.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By chiablo

@UglyGeezer: Come for the awesome content, don't stay for the after party. I'm with you on this one Geezer. NeoGaf has done everything possible to secure this man's place in heaven for this... Giantbomb users shit all over him for absolutely no reason.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By valrog

@mdnthrvst: Player messages have been fixed some time ago.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jimmyfenix

here we go again arguing over something pointless -_-

SortedeVaras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SortedeVaras

I knew this would be poorly optimized once I saw the ad on steam a few weeks ago. Will stick with 360 version til this is sorted.

DaveKap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DaveKap

The patch is freakin amazing! Thanks so much to the dev who spent a week ahead of time building the injector for other reasons then co-opting it into being an amazing fix for us Dark Souls fans! Patch 3 in 24 hours fixing all the biggest issues and making the game look so good it puts other PC native releases to shame!? Valve needs to hire this guy!

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ds8k

@JoeyRavn: What are you talking about? I see nothing but praise for Durante. What ungrateful PC gamers have you been talking to, because I see none.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By monetarydread

@mbr2 said:

@Lunar_Aura said:

Guys making modifications isn't modding and playing games early is clearly piracy.

Who gives a shit?

EternalGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By EternalGamer2

Everyone should ignore the troll. This fix is glorious. I've played with it for several hours now and it is drop dead beautiful and there are no glitches or frame rate drops. I played the 360 version for 70 hours and I could go back now. Big thanks to BOTH From for the port AND Durante for the mod. The combination of the two has made this the definitive Darksouls experience. Blighttown here I come :D

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm just glad the game came out at all on PC, but there better not be any furry shit!!!

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#74  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

From has been honest about the reasons for the difficulties with the PC version. People being assholes to them about it are just a good reminder of why a lot of developers don't take the time to mess with things they don't have a lot of experience with. That they made a PC version at all, and included a pretty sizeable chunk of new content, should have bought them a little goodwill- instead, bitching.

Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Recall
    @ripelivejam

i'm just glad the game came out at all on PC, but there better not be any furry shit!!!

Ignorant alert!
    Axon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Axon64

Someone's really going to have to explain to me why expecting a game to have features standard to every PC game since the 90's qualifies as "entitlement".

Either way, the patch is awesome. Great work, Durante. Now someone just needs to unlock the framerate.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ripelivejam

seriously though great fix, though it kinda annoys me that there are these vertical black lines through the logo splash screens at the beginning, but that's just me being a whiny bitch. game itself is gorgeous with this fix (and i can read the messages now! still stuck behind a locked door right at the beginning and don't know what to do!!!)

i'm hoping From embraces the mod community, even hopefully going as far as turning over some source code to a more PC knowledgeable developer to try to fix things further (and i think they just might since they've been generous enough to even make this in the first place).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f80be8681c07
    deactivated-5f80be8681c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neverdeed: @neverdeed said:

You're such a dumbass.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ripelivejam

@Recall said:

@ripelivejam

Ignorant alert!
    No Caption Provided
    MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Why are people calling this guy out on piracy straight away? There have been a load of games released that ALL work with mods originally intended to make games like Skyrim look better. Ini files and d3d9 isn't some huge secret for each game, its general work that can usually be applied across the board with minor tweaks.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Terramagi

@MysteriousFawx said:

Why are people calling this guy out on piracy straight away? There have been a load of games released that ALL work with mods originally intended to make games like Skyrim look better. Ini files and d3d9 isn't some huge secret for each game, its general work that can usually be applied across the board with minor tweaks.

Because PC gamers are entitled shits and steal all their games and hate the Japanese.

They should just give their hard-earned money away with absolutely no qualms about it.

greyfoxv1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By greyfoxv1

@neverdeed said:

There is nothing to suggest this but even if he did who gives a shit? He helped fix an issue with the game.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@neverdeed said:

Well, I wasn't going to buy a copy until I saw this dude's "editing and slapping" results, and then I did, so he sold at least one copy as a result of his work.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#84  Edited By Daveyo520

@PixelPrinny: You are a retard you troll.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#85  Edited By Binman88

@chiablo said:

@UglyGeezer: Come for the awesome content, don't stay for the after party. I'm with you on this one Geezer. NeoGaf has done everything possible to secure this man's place in heaven for this... Giantbomb users shit all over him for absolutely no reason.

I think you're being dramatic and imaging controversy where there is none. There was one commenter calling the modder a pirate, and a bunch of people taking that commenter to task. Suddenly the whole of Giantbomb is shitting all over the modder? lmao

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#86  Edited By viking_funeral

@neverdeed: Congratulations on possibly the worst first comment I've ever seen on Giant Bomb. You're definitely a light in the community.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By hakunin

@Axon64 said:

Someone's really going to have to explain to me why expecting a game to have features standard to every PC game since the 90's qualifies as "entitlement".

Either way, the patch is awesome. Great work, Durante. Now someone just needs to unlock the framerate.

Just because enough people asked for it, PC people are getting an on-par-with-consoles port (not worse; not "better") of one of the best games ever made. It even comes with new content that console players won't see until Winter, as paid DLC. Playing on a powerful PC also means you now can experience the wonders of Blighttown and other usually laggy areas at above 15-20fps, unlike the console versions.

And all people are doing is complaining about the 30fps (like the console version) cap and there not enough pixels on the screen out of the box.

(Though I can honestly sorta kinda understand the complaints about the fixed resolution. Can''t think of any reason other that time constraints, experience with the PC or laziness of the developers. But as I understand it there are actual in-game gameplay reasons for the FPS cap)

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By kid_gloves

@hakunin said:

@Axon64 said:

Just because enough people asked for it, PC people are getting an on-par-with-consoles port (not worse; not "better") of one of the best games ever made. It even comes with new content that console players won't see until Winter, as paid DLC. Playing on a powerful PC also means you now can experience the wonders of Blighttown and other usually laggy areas at above 15-20fps, unlike the console versions.

And all people are doing is complaining about the 30fps (like the console version) cap and there not enough pixels on the screen out of the box.

(Though I can honestly sorta kinda understand the complaints about the fixed resolution. Can''t think of any reason other that time constraints, experience with the PC or laziness of the developers. But as I understand it there are actual in-game gameplay reasons for the FPS cap)

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and guess they most likely spent all their time and meager money getting GFWL working (and surprisingly... it seems to be working damn well for once) and fixing any and all PC related bugs they could. For all the complaints about the limitations of the port it seems to be fairly polished from a bug perspective, and honestly I have never seen GFWL actually work this well.

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By LarryDavis

I still don't know why people love Dark Souls so much. It's good at first, but the developers seemed to be obsessed with just making it as hard as possible with no regard for whether it's due to dumb bullshit or not. Demon's Souls was a great balance of challenging things that still seemed fair. I played through it twice, no regrets. Dark Souls just seems to want to fuck you over at every opportunity, once you get to the swamp. Which also had the same awful framerate problem the swamp in the first game had.

What I'm saying is, it's not shocking that From Software released a totally botched port, since they couldn't even fix problems from the previous game on fixed hardware. Also Dark Souls is not good. So there's that. Here come the flames about how I'm just bad at it or whatever!

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kid_gloves

@LarryDavis: I thought Dark Souls was easier than Demon's Souls.

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Packie

@LarryDavis said:

I still don't know why people love Dark Souls so much. It's good at first, but the developers seemed to be obsessed with just making it as hard as possible with no regard for whether it's due to dumb bullshit or not. Demon's Souls was a great balance of challenging things that still seemed fair. I played through it twice, no regrets. Dark Souls just seems to want to fuck you over at every opportunity, once you get to the swamp. Which also had the same awful framerate problem the swamp in the first game had.

What I'm saying is, it's not shocking that From Software released a totally botched port, since they couldn't even fix problems from the previous game on fixed hardware. Also Dark Souls is not good. So there's that. Here come the flames about how I'm just bad at it or whatever!

I actually agree with you. Demon's Souls was a much more balanced game in terms of design, difficulty and pacing. Bed of Chaos is one of the most awful boss fights I've ever played. Even the game's director, Miyazaki, outright admitted that. But as a whole, I love Dark Souls more despite being somewhat the inferior game from a design perspective. The Combat System, The variety of the environments and enemies, The art style, The music, The wonderful lore and world-building. Everything comes together to form this phenomenal work of art and game design.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Jimbo

He should leave cryptic notes about the place to help them figure out how he did it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Rasgueado

This works great for me. There's no difference in performance between the two either, it just looks a lot better. Still chugs in all the same places it did on the consoles... well it's at least a little better in performance than it was on the xbox. I can't say how it performed on the PS3.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#94  Edited By jacksukeru

@ripelivejam said:

Actually, there is a helmet made out of a boar's head that sort of makes you look like a humanoid pig if you squint your eyes a bit, not to mention Ornstein's lion themed armor. Trust me my friend, you'll want to keep your furphobic paws away from this FROM game, it is doubtlessly up to its whiskers in the furry agenda.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#95  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Vitor said:

@JoeyRavn said:

What's truly sad is how ungrateful the PC community can be. We can be amazing, but also a bunch of assholes when we want it. Durante's work is amazing, no matter how you look at it, and yet people complain about it.

Honestly, I just don't know what to think about PC gamers anymore.

Uh, that's a couple of guys here. There's not a single person on the original Neogaf thread complaining. In fact, they're mostly applauding him and offering donations to his paypal account and the page count of that thread is innumerably longer that what you can see here.

Don't judge PC gamers on the merit of a few idiot GB-ers.

Nah, I'm talking in general, not just about this particular case. And, of course, I'm not refering to the cool guys who love gaming. I'm talking about the complete dicks protected by the anonymity the Internet provides, who just can't keep their shit inside and have to spill it all over the place. There was a guy making a huge uproar in the Steam forums a couple days ago for a refund for Darksiders 2. The reason? Since it was released in Europe a week after it was released in the States, he couldn't help himself and spoiled the ending of the game. He claimed it was THQ's fault for delaying the release in Europe, and so he was entitled to a refund.

And that's the shit you can see everywhere nowadays. It's painfully clear with PC gamers because of all the "master race" stupidity going around. Sure, it's a vocal minority, but as far as vocal minorities go, this has to be the shittiest one.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jimbo
    @JoeyRavn said:

What's truly sad is how ungrateful the PC community can be. We can be amazing, but also a bunch of assholes when we want it. Durante's work is amazing, no matter how you look at it, and yet people complain about it.

Honestly, I just don't know what to think about PC gamers anymore.

It's almost as if you can't think of them all as a single person just because they share a hobby. Crazy.
    hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By hakunin

@LarryDavis said:

I disagree. The Valley had some framerate dips, but nothing on the level of Blighttown on consoles.

Also - again - when did "It's exactly the same as the other versions, with extra content and consistent framerate" equate "botched port"? This just irks me.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#98  Edited By Sooty

Wow the difference is gigantic.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@neverdeed said:

Oh look, another fucking troll. I'd just like you to know that you suck.

Good day.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By hakunin

@RollingZeppelin said:

@neverdeed said:

Oh look, another fucking troll. I'd just like you to know that you suck.

Good day.

Oh look, another one jumping on the bandwagon.

Quality posting on GB

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.