Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

more pygmy / pendant theory *spoilers*

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By envane

ok after now setting into a 2nd ng+ on one character , and a hefty amount of achievement huntin on a 2nd char , and studying the strategy guide for every hidden detail , i can "confirm" (being able to dump the games script being the only other option) that the words pygmy are not ever mentioned after the intro , the fact that hes so easily forgotten might ironicly be why the developers "forgot" to include any reference to him ..

the rumor/theory of you being the pygmy is highly suspect , considering there isnt just one "you" theres many online players all interacting within alternate dimensions of lordran so to speak .. unless that is the pygmys nature , etc

the only thing in the game that actually supports this theory , is the dialogue with darkstalker kaathe , i dont think anyone has leveled up to +2 in the covenant , which might unlock further dialogue that would clear things up more but

him and frampt have been awaiting the one who will either rekindle the first flame , and save the world , or plunge the world into eternal darkness , your choices at the end reflect this happening, but obviously frampt or kaathe try to steer you in either direction .. if you are the pygmy or the chosen agent of the pygmy then thats the only link the game gives you for it. If this was the pygmys goal, being forever in the shadows this may be its only way of influencing things, to use a descendant or bloodline of his. .. now heres my leap of logic the darksign ... in the intro we see the effect of the lords against the dragons , with anything the pygmy might have done being absent (some people think he influenced seath to betray the dragons , but apparently seath just was greedy for magic and stole the crystal that gives him eternal life , corrupting him further) ... then we go straight to the darksign .. and how its feared and those with it are hidden away .

my theory is that the darksign is the pygmys abilty , or his lineage .. and that those with the darksign aren't all particularly special , but they allow his will to be fufilled .. eventually .. over a long period of time. now whetehr that is actually the ending of the world , or the saving of it ... is anyones guess .. as i think the true nature and influence of the pygmy are just completely obfuscated from the rest of the world .. or time .. and that if the pendant at all relates to the pygmy , then it would trigger the memories of the pygmy within someone , mabye you or another npc , ive since gotten patches back as a vendor in firelink shrine and can gladly confirm that he doesnt care about the pendant hehe.

the only person in the game that really could be a true descendant of the pygmy or the pygmy itself , is the fire keeper of anor londo , her real name in the strategy guide is Lady of the Darkling , now the darkling , that could be the pygmy , its said in the description of her armor set , the brass armor , that it hides her hideous form ... this also ties into the theory of the first child of Gwyn .. gwynevere being his 2nd child , and gwyndolin the 3rd ... Gwyns firstborn was apparently cast out of the realm for unknown reasons and people have forgotten his existance .... forgotten ? pygmy ? hehe anyway the Lady of the darkling is considered to be either the returned first child of gwyn, or a loyal protector / lover or daughter of the first child of gwyn .. either way .. it says int he stratgey guide she is sworn to protect gwynevere and qwyndolin , so being the actual descendant of gwyn is a bit much .. but if the first child of gwyn was exiled because it was the pygmy (really starting to lose any meaning of the word pygmy) or "darkling" then the darkling had a daughter or lover that returned to watch over and protect the darklings siblings .. thats just ... my head hurts

ultimately i think its a marvelous red herring on the developers part , either that or bugs prevent the conditions for anything further to be revealed .. and that woudl suck ..

reeading various translations of developer interviews , you hear the terms and concept of role playing alot.. like they want people to find a reason to stay in the world .. and not finish the game .. to role play as a character or in a covenant ..

this leads me to think that the intentional mystery of the pygmy , and the pendant item , and other various things .. like the fucking geometry of the world .. are there for people to sink their imagination into .. as the actual game behind all that is fairly static and not particularly conducive to role-playing at least beyond choosing what you look like and how you fight etc .. so yeah ill be happy if someone finds the magical secret room of pygmy pendant mindblowing extravaganzas .. but otheriwise ill be content thinking that its all in my head

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By McShank

Jesus man. Find that pygmy room so i can get another achievment!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By McShank

@envane:

If you meet Kaathe he tells you about how the 'Fourth Lord' (presumably the Pygmy) was averse to the fire favored by the others and discovered the darkness, and that he became the Lord of the Dark who attempted to lead the world into the age of mankind, the age of dark. Kaathe says that you are that Lord's descendent and destined to become the new Dark Lord.

umm i found this on a site that may or may not be true, but He may have just remembered this and you didn't. Who knows. I never joined the darkwraiths as i forgot about them :(

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By AlKusanagi

But the first child of Gwynn was a son whom also considered a "god of war." Hardly fitting for Pygmy. Also, there are strong hints that Solaire may actually be Gwynn's lost/exiled son. Also, Gwynevere isn't an actual person, just a construct created by Gwyndolyn to rule through, unless at one point she was real and her murdered and replaced her.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By envane

@McShank: thats basicly the text i was reffering to with my theory ..

although he doesnt say YOU are the descendant , he says he has been waiting for the descendant and they hope its you ,, in the dark ending of the game theres infinite kaathes and frampts and they speak witht he same voice .. and say you are the dark lord at that point ... but thats not like you were THE dark lord , you are just the one now .. the fact that there are many kaathes and frampts lead me to believe that they are just the 2 aspects of the "disparity" that brought forth the lords themselves .. the pendant might be related to either of them remebering that they are one and the same .. but they are not the pygmy , or related , theyre from PRE PYGMY times hehe

but unless its in the final text that i havent seen , there was no mention of the fourth lord in the initial darkwraith covenant text ..

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.