My brother played through the entire game without leveling

#1 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

I'm sure he's not the first to do it, but now that I know it's possible (by a real person I know and not some crazy speedrun-type internet person) leveling sorta feels like cheating. It's destroyed my drive to beat the game! I feel like my character is fat and spoiled! Just wanted to share, and see if anyone has made similar accomplishments or struggled in the face of such adversity.

#2 Posted by ShadowVirus (793 posts) -

I gave up on that games ages ago when I couldn't beat Qualeg or whatever ever shes called at the bottom of Blighttown.

But beating beating the game without leveling is impressive.

#3 Posted by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

Nice, well done that guy. He has way more patience and skill than I have. What weapons did he use, may I ask?

#4 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@WilyBoy said:

leveling sorta feels like cheating. It's destroyed my drive to beat the game! I feel like my character is fat and spoiled!

Yeah! I play all my game without using my "x" button. Using all the game's mechanics just feels like cheating!

#5 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@WilyBoy said:

leveling sorta feels like cheating. It's destroyed my drive to beat the game! I feel like my character is fat and spoiled!

Yeah! I play all my game without using my "x" button. Using all the game's mechanics just feels like cheating!

#6 Posted by TobbRobb (4652 posts) -

@ShadowVirus: If you couldn't beat Queelag, then I will just throw out that the rest of the game would seem impossible. The difficulty jump immediately after her is incredible.

#7 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

Makes a solid extra challenge. Clearly forces the player down the pyromancy path with lots and lots of rolling.

#8 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

It's not that hard really, you just have to learn to have patience and understanding of your surroundings.

#9 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@ShadowVirus: If you couldn't beat Queelag, then I will just throw out that the rest of the game would seem impossible. The difficulty jump immediately after her is incredible.

Not really. After Queelag, you're supposed to do Sen's Fortress and that Boss is piss-easy. Blighttown and Queelag itself is a jump in difficulty and if you beat her, then the rest of the game is definitely manageable. Only Ornstein and Smough are guaranteed to cause massive headache for new players.

#10 Posted by Bocam (3753 posts) -

@CptBedlam: The arrow bombardment before Ornstein and Smough made me want to kill myself.

#11 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

Only Ornstein and Smough are guaranteed to cause massive headache for new players.

The Asshole Brigade causes problems for everyone, every time. I fucking hate those guys.

#12 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@Bocam: I won't say that I didn't die there but I immediately thought "perfect place to test these poison arrows" and it worked pretty well.

#13 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

@biggiedubs: I'm pretty sure he used a rapier, 2-handing it most of the time.

@Tackchevy: I should add that he didn't use any magic and I believe he didn't use a shield at all (or if he did he used it very rarely)

#14 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

I honestly have no idea how one would beat Four Kings without levelling.

#15 Posted by TobbRobb (4652 posts) -

@CptBedlam: I dunno, the boss in Sen's is piss easy correct, "beat him first try if I recall", but the reptile enemies and general area of Sen's is a lot harder than previous areas and Anor Londo most definitely is.

#16 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@TobbRobb:I think it's Blighttown that is the first real test. When you beat that level you most likely know how to play the game and everything else is manageable (which doesn't mean you won't die a lot, of course). Sen's was only intimidating at first glance but isn't really that hard.

#17 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

I actually found Blighttown to be the hardest area in the game. In fact, the first third of the gaame, I struggled with the most. Perhaps it was just a matter of finding my stride, but I was pretty much on cruise control for the remainder of NG.

Anyways, congrats to your brother. That sounds very impressive.

#18 Posted by MysteriousFawx (383 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

2handed lightning weapon, get right up in their face, roll left when they attack. is actually quite easy

#19 Posted by fRAWRst (236 posts) -

This is normal tbh, lots of guys try to Ng+1 before lvl 10 so u can have some really good pvp invades with dudes on their first runs.

#20 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

@SteamPunkJin said:

@CptBedlam said:

Only Ornstein and Smough are guaranteed to cause massive headache for new players.

The Asshole Brigade causes problems for everyone, every time. I fucking hate those guys.

I only had trouble with those guys on NG+. But man that fight was tough in NG+.

#21 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

@benspyda said:

@SteamPunkJin said:

@CptBedlam said:

Yea, without a doubt NG+ is where they are the worst.

#22 Posted by AndyD74 (169 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I stopped leveling at 20 and I'm on ng+ trying to kill the four kings. They are making me very angry.

#23 Posted by CJduke (788 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

@TobbRobb said:

Not really. After Queelag, you're supposed to do Sen's Fortress and that Boss is piss-easy. Blighttown and Queelag itself is a jump in difficulty and if you beat her, then the rest of the game is definitely manageable. Only Ornstein and Smough are guaranteed to cause massive headache for new players.

Sen's Fortress was one of my favorite parts of the game, it was too bad the boss was so easy. But fuck Ornstein and Smough that fight was rediculous
#24 Posted by WilyBoy (163 posts) -

@xyzygy: I was actually present when he first attempted that. There were many hours of cursing, a nearly broken controller and an almost-knocked-over television.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@WilyBoy said:

@xyzygy: I was actually present when he first attempted that. There were many hours of cursing, a nearly broken controller and an almost-knocked-over television.

As long as you level your gear and have lots of items you can easily do the game without leveling. What class did he pick? 
#26 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@CJduke said:

@CptBedlam said:

@TobbRobb said:

Sen's Fortress was one of my favorite parts of the game, it was too bad the boss was so easy. But fuck Ornstein and Smough that fight was rediculous

Yeah, I really liked Sen's, too. I love standing somewhere at the top watching the sky.

#27 Posted by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@SteamPunkJin said:

@benspyda said:

@SteamPunkJin said:

@CptBedlam said:

Yea, without a doubt NG+ is where they are the worst.

I don't know, as with most bosses I found them to be easier in NG+, ++ etc. The boss that really becomes a nightmare in NG+ is the Four Kings.

#28 Edited by weegieanawrench (1939 posts) -

Impressive, but to me, leveling up is crucial. I need all the stamina I can get. I had no problem with Ornstein and Smough on my first play-through, I just kept moving and killed Ornstein first, moving on to Smough after that. Four Kings was the boss fight I had a great deal of trouble with and hearing that they're worse on NG+ is very unnerving.

#29 Posted by FonkyMucker (150 posts) -

@SteamPunkJin: Ahhhh.... Fatty and Cat-Head. Eventually their names evolved into a flood of profanities that would make a sailor blush.

But back to the point, there is NO-WAY I would play through the game without leveling up. Hell, I spent hours cheesing the ghost in the forest off of cliffs so I could level up and actually survive the game. Truly this brother is a King among Lords.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.