My first(and probably last) Platinum Trophy

Posted by YI_Orange (1211 posts) -

As a lover of Demon's Souls I pre-ordered Dark Souls well in advance. As I popped the game in I thought "I beat Demon's Souls, how hard could this be for me". Not too long later, Capra Demon showed me exactly how hard it could be as I cursed him and his stupid dogs until I'm pretty sure they just felt bad for me.

Anyway, after the first play through was about the time I decided I was going to platinum it. I pulled up a list of every Pyromancy, Sorcery, Miracle, and Rare Weapon, copied them into a word document, and began erasing the ones I already had. I discovered I would need to play through the game almost 2 more times in order to get the platinum, but the second playthrough was proving infinitely easier as I just went two-handed with my Quelaag's Furysword and rained down fire and jagged spider-leggy pain on the bosses.

Everything was going smooth, I was using most of my souls on titanite for upgrades and buying magic since I didn't really need the levels. Finally, it came time to join the Sunbros. After helping 8 people defeat Ceasless Discharge(and watching as many more fools just died) I went back to the alter only to discover I had to do it one more time, and I put the game down.

Two months later, after the patch hit, I decided to take another run at this. The requirement was nerfed so I managed to join the covenant and get the miracles I needed. At the same time, my beloved Gold-Hemmed armor set was nerfed so I said fuck it and put on all of Havel's armor. To my surprise, I could still roll all right. My quest went smooth, making weapons, reinforcing to the max, and buying spells along the way. I finished my Sorceries and dealt with Bed of Chaos to finish my Pyromancies, and joined all the covenants.

This is where things got interesting. The next thing I decided to do was get the final miracle I needed from Gwyndolyn's covenant. I attempted to invade people in Anor Londo but couldn't find anybody so I made my way to Lost Izalith. Oddly enough, that place is like a hub for guilty. After about four or five sentences carried out, I ran into someone who wrecked my shit. After that, every other invasion was that same person, and each time, I lost. In between I had some good battles, but I was focused on this one person. 9 ears and I go to invade...that guy again. The universe being as wonderful as it is, on my 6th or 7th bout with this foe I beat him, for my 10th and final Souvenir of Reprisal. Skyraizen, if you're reading this, I bow to you. But also, fuck you.

After getting through that Ordeal, I found myself face to spear with another. Ornstein and Smough. Unfortunately, I needed Ornstein's soul so I had to kill Smough first. A couple tries in and I started having flashbacks to my second or third playthrough of Demon's Souls and the Maneater battle. Only, Ornstein is fucking everywhere. Every time I thought I had an opening he would come flying out from behind Smough and jab me in the face. Once Smough was down things got easier, since you just stand near big bosses and you're pretty much ok, but it was still a pain in the ass and more infuriating than my first time with Capra Demon.

After that things took a turn for the less interesting, since I decided to farm out the random drop rare weapons. Though the Channeler's Trident was totally worth it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgCqg0NRFY

The remaining bosses went down easy and all that was left was Gwyn. I made everything I could, only needing Gwyn's soul for the Great Lord Greatsword, and Sif's soul for the Greatsword of Artorias. I also needed a Titanite slab to finish crystal reinforce, and a Blue Titanit slab for Magic Reinforce, then I was done(after getting the Dark Lord ending that is). I was expecting Gwyn to be hard, but after seeing that insane speed run I decided to try my hand at parry-reposting the Lord of Cinder. Turns out, it makes him way easier and almost all of my damage was done that way. I gotta tell ya, even though it wasn't that hard, parry-reposting that asshole is incredibly satisfying.

The Third playthrough was just as easy as the second. I got my slab and finished crystal. Got to Anor Londo and finished the weapons. All that was left to do was go to the Crystal Caves and grab my Blue Titanite Slab. I hate that invisible maze to get to it and I didn't have any Prism Stones. After falling like 5 times I got sick of it and wanted to quit, but I was too close. I got the idea to put on my bow and shoot the ground to see if there was a platform there, worked perfectly. Retrieved my blue slab and homeward boned.

Maybe it was because I already realized a while ago that it was going to happen, but through this ending process of getting those final two "Bing!"s I didn't really feel as great as I thought I would after having conquered Dark Souls. Instead, I just returned to my good buddy Andrei of Astora to have him finish my Magic Ascension. After doing that, I didn't crack a smile or feel a great relief or anything. Instead, I just did the most appropriate thing I could think of. I switched to orange Soapstone and placed a message..."I did it!"

I was glad Dark Souls could be my first, and probably only Platinum. Clocking in at around level 125 and over 90 hours, part of me didn't feel done with the game, but I knew I was. I keep telling myself I'm going to platinum Skyrim, but that isn't going to happen. I'll always remember you Dark Souls.

Then I turned off the game and watched Redline

#1 Posted by YI_Orange (1211 posts) -

As a lover of Demon's Souls I pre-ordered Dark Souls well in advance. As I popped the game in I thought "I beat Demon's Souls, how hard could this be for me". Not too long later, Capra Demon showed me exactly how hard it could be as I cursed him and his stupid dogs until I'm pretty sure they just felt bad for me.

Anyway, after the first play through was about the time I decided I was going to platinum it. I pulled up a list of every Pyromancy, Sorcery, Miracle, and Rare Weapon, copied them into a word document, and began erasing the ones I already had. I discovered I would need to play through the game almost 2 more times in order to get the platinum, but the second playthrough was proving infinitely easier as I just went two-handed with my Quelaag's Furysword and rained down fire and jagged spider-leggy pain on the bosses.

Everything was going smooth, I was using most of my souls on titanite for upgrades and buying magic since I didn't really need the levels. Finally, it came time to join the Sunbros. After helping 8 people defeat Ceasless Discharge(and watching as many more fools just died) I went back to the alter only to discover I had to do it one more time, and I put the game down.

Two months later, after the patch hit, I decided to take another run at this. The requirement was nerfed so I managed to join the covenant and get the miracles I needed. At the same time, my beloved Gold-Hemmed armor set was nerfed so I said fuck it and put on all of Havel's armor. To my surprise, I could still roll all right. My quest went smooth, making weapons, reinforcing to the max, and buying spells along the way. I finished my Sorceries and dealt with Bed of Chaos to finish my Pyromancies, and joined all the covenants.

This is where things got interesting. The next thing I decided to do was get the final miracle I needed from Gwyndolyn's covenant. I attempted to invade people in Anor Londo but couldn't find anybody so I made my way to Lost Izalith. Oddly enough, that place is like a hub for guilty. After about four or five sentences carried out, I ran into someone who wrecked my shit. After that, every other invasion was that same person, and each time, I lost. In between I had some good battles, but I was focused on this one person. 9 ears and I go to invade...that guy again. The universe being as wonderful as it is, on my 6th or 7th bout with this foe I beat him, for my 10th and final Souvenir of Reprisal. Skyraizen, if you're reading this, I bow to you. But also, fuck you.

After getting through that Ordeal, I found myself face to spear with another. Ornstein and Smough. Unfortunately, I needed Ornstein's soul so I had to kill Smough first. A couple tries in and I started having flashbacks to my second or third playthrough of Demon's Souls and the Maneater battle. Only, Ornstein is fucking everywhere. Every time I thought I had an opening he would come flying out from behind Smough and jab me in the face. Once Smough was down things got easier, since you just stand near big bosses and you're pretty much ok, but it was still a pain in the ass and more infuriating than my first time with Capra Demon.

After that things took a turn for the less interesting, since I decided to farm out the random drop rare weapons. Though the Channeler's Trident was totally worth it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgCqg0NRFY

The remaining bosses went down easy and all that was left was Gwyn. I made everything I could, only needing Gwyn's soul for the Great Lord Greatsword, and Sif's soul for the Greatsword of Artorias. I also needed a Titanite slab to finish crystal reinforce, and a Blue Titanit slab for Magic Reinforce, then I was done(after getting the Dark Lord ending that is). I was expecting Gwyn to be hard, but after seeing that insane speed run I decided to try my hand at parry-reposting the Lord of Cinder. Turns out, it makes him way easier and almost all of my damage was done that way. I gotta tell ya, even though it wasn't that hard, parry-reposting that asshole is incredibly satisfying.

The Third playthrough was just as easy as the second. I got my slab and finished crystal. Got to Anor Londo and finished the weapons. All that was left to do was go to the Crystal Caves and grab my Blue Titanite Slab. I hate that invisible maze to get to it and I didn't have any Prism Stones. After falling like 5 times I got sick of it and wanted to quit, but I was too close. I got the idea to put on my bow and shoot the ground to see if there was a platform there, worked perfectly. Retrieved my blue slab and homeward boned.

Maybe it was because I already realized a while ago that it was going to happen, but through this ending process of getting those final two "Bing!"s I didn't really feel as great as I thought I would after having conquered Dark Souls. Instead, I just returned to my good buddy Andrei of Astora to have him finish my Magic Ascension. After doing that, I didn't crack a smile or feel a great relief or anything. Instead, I just did the most appropriate thing I could think of. I switched to orange Soapstone and placed a message..."I did it!"

I was glad Dark Souls could be my first, and probably only Platinum. Clocking in at around level 125 and over 90 hours, part of me didn't feel done with the game, but I knew I was. I keep telling myself I'm going to platinum Skyrim, but that isn't going to happen. I'll always remember you Dark Souls.

Then I turned off the game and watched Redline

#2 Edited by believer258 (12713 posts) -

Really? Skyrim seems easy as pie to platinum. Well, as easy as eating a pie that's the size of Canada, that is. Not hard to do, but it would take you forever. I'll do it someday.

Anyway, the first 1000G I did was RAGE. That really was easy to do, since Nightmare difficulty is a pushover and the races were piss-easy. The only difficult thing was finding everything, but the internet was handy in doing that.

I also plan on getting the 1000G for RE4, since it consists of "beat the game", beat the game on the hardest difficulty", and "get all the outfits".

I've also gotten %100 on Metroid Prime before, but it doesn't have achievements.

#3 Posted by dudeglove (9180 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I also plan on getting the 1000G for RE4, since it consists of "beat the game", beat the game on the hardest difficulty", and "get all the outfits".

...which I thought was kind of a shame, because there could have been so many more decent achievements like tallying knife kills/head shots, beating Dr. Salvadore before the church bell rings, etc. But no, just lazy completionist stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.