Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

My opinion on 'game needs easy mode'

• 90 results
    JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JackOhara

From /vg/:

No Caption Provided

Thoughts?

EDIT:

@Deusx said:

@Viking_Funeral said:

Heh. /vg/.

Anyway, the difficulty is a key mechanic of Dark Souls, right? It seems like an easy mode is like adding 'Story Mode' to Mass Effect, except even more egregious, as there really isn't a complex narrative to Dark Souls that people can enjoy like a choose your own adventure. If you remove that part of the gameplay, what do you really have left?

No complex narrative heh? Oh man, you should do your research before posting that. Watch the following video

@EXTomar said:

My thought: Grind and redoing an area sucks regardless of difficulty setting. Dark Souls is predicated on grinding and redoing content which is bad.

No, Dark Souls does NOT involve grinding and redoing content. You go back to areas because you failed, failure is important in dark souls. You learn from it. You relish death because it teaches you the way to skillful game play. If you don't agree with that then you should play something a bit more casual. The game is punishing, yes. From punishment you learn. The game treats the player as someone who can stand this challenge and over come it. If you can't then hey, you aren't the player From Soft. were aiming for.

@MikkaQ said:

The game doesn't need an easy mode. It just needs a mode where all the animations are like 10x faster and can be cancelled. Then it might seem like a game made by people who aren't so into themselves that the gameplay takes a backseat to deliberate, canned animations.

So you like God of War and DMC, right? Pfffft.

@JackOhara said:

@EXTomar said:

I don't know if that is necessarily the case. When people fawn over a game like this and go "You must play it", buy it, and find it impenetrable and borderline unplayable they are left wondering "What the?" To extend the marathon metaphor, it would be like telling your jogger friend "I ran this race that was so awesome." They signed up and found it pretty horrible experience running through a smelly, mosquito ridden swamp in 100+ weather. Screw offering your friend a bike where instead they are going to feel cheated since race was a disaster where no one should be surprised they abandoned it. Suggesting they need to "man up" is not the solution for many either.

There is a balance that must be struck in any game design. In a game like Dark Souls, it is already not mainstream and those that did actually stick through it are in a minority. Maybe those designers are wondering if they change the game a little they can get many more people playing and finishing their game instead of just giving up?

Beyond this game, I have always felt no game is ever harmed by offering an easy difficulty setting or mode. It is elitist and snobbery to suggest that a game can't make allowances for easier play.

It has nothing to do with elitism or snobbery, all anyone is saying is that by turning down the difficulty you will make the game not fun. The challenge is an essential component of the Souls machine. If you were to take it away it would simply would not be as fun, even for the people that couldn't 'slog' through it in it's orignal state. And another thing, people exaggerate the difficulty of the Souls games WAY too much. The game is really not that hard, you just have to learn to play it and be patient, which obviously some aren't willing to do. I also think many people are expecting an experience similar to other main stream RPGs where you can pause the game, heal, et cetera, which is a bit silly.

This guy knows what's up.

I agree with you OP. People who say Dark Souls has artificial difficulty are simply bad at the game or just don't want to invest themselves in the challenge. DaS is just challenging and punishing. Death is how you learn. Death is the most important mechanic in Dark Souls.

For everyone STILL thinking DaS has artificial difficulty or is unfair:

1. Watch this video

2. Stop being awful at video games

3. Grow a pair of fucking balls.

I hate getting so buttmad when people talk trash about this game. Calling me a fanboy may not be very far from the truth but there is a reason why I fucking love that game. I suggest giving it a chance before laying your biased opinions here. Play it, learn it. Be a man.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

My thoughts? Will get locked.

/thread

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

I dont understand the last phrase , but then again english isnt my mother tongue

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Klei

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

/thread

There's always always a fine gentlemen such as you to come and vomit the so-called laws of giantbomb's forums about how you can't make a topic unless it is to bring a subject of discussion. And, may I add, this thread incites a conversation, thus, making it unfit to the locking. BAM BITCHES

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JackOhara

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

/thread

Do I really need to type more when the image explains my opinion? It isn't like it's a video where you have to sit and watch it to figure out what I'm on about

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By I_smell

I think the last image should be him getting hit with arrows, then saying "LOL WOOPS!" then he keeps running and his health regenerates.

EDIT-- Oh wait, I read it again and realised it's about people complaining on the internet and not game design. Nevermind, this is a less interesting thread than I thought it was.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By viking_funeral

Heh. /vg/.

Anyway, the difficulty is a key mechanic of Dark Souls, right? It seems like an easy mode is like adding 'Story Mode' to Mass Effect, except even more egregious, as there really isn't a complex narrative to Dark Souls that people can enjoy like a choose your own adventure. If you remove that part of the gameplay, what do you really have left?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Klei said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

/thread

There's always always a fine gentlemen such as you to come and vomit the so-called laws of giantbomb's forums about how you can't make a topic unless it is to bring a subject of discussion. And, may I add, this thread incites a conversation, thus, making it unfit to the locking. BAM BITCHES

Well shit man, ain't got no opinions, quote the rules. +1 post...2 now actually.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JackOhara

@Viking_Funeral said:

Heh. /vg/.

I agree. While there is a mythology to the game, it definitely takes a back seat to the moment to moment combat. Fighting without the fear of death would take a lot out of the game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

The game doesn't need an easy mode. It just needs a mode where all the animations are like 10x faster and can be cancelled. Then it might seem like a game made by people who aren't so into themselves that the gameplay takes a backseat to deliberate, canned animations.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JackOhara

@MikkaQ said:

I disagree, I think that would conflict with the style that they are going for, which is methodical. The combat is designed around the risk vs. reward scenario. Throwing out hits and being able to cancel them halfway through if you fuck up would diminish the 'risk' component, and I think there is a really good balance between the two as it is. After a short time with the game you sort of start to understand the flow of combat with different enemy types, as in you learn when is the right time to hit vs. block. They start you off on super slow hollows/hollow warriors to help you learn this.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SoylentGreen

I still haven't beaten Dark Souls, but it seems like after a certain point in the game (after Ornstein and Smough, for me at least), everything "clicks". Now I'm running through bosses like they're nothing, I managed to kill Seath and three of the Izalith bosses on one life. I guess I just learned to be cautious when I had to be and to "just go for it" when that was the way to go.

@MikkaQ: That would be an easy mode, though. What would stop you from just spamming attacks if you could cancel out of them when it looked like you were going to be hit? The risk/reward gameplay would fall through.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@JackOhara: @SoylentGreen: I feel like there wouldn't be any change to the risk/reward systrem, you merely have to scale the difficulty up. LIke yeah if an enemy can finish me off in like one or two hits, that's fine by me, but give me the tools to play the game as fast as I can input commands. If it truly is skill based why put an artificial limit to my skills by making the combat less fun.

I think it doesn't speak to the quality of the game that you need to have slow animations for it to work at all. It just means there's a bigger problem to deal with in the design.

Looking at something I'm playing now, Borderlands 2, they give you guns that do the most ridiculous things imaginable, I don't feel some kind of authorial hand trying to dictate my play experience, I can shoot as well as I can shoot, and I can dodge as well I can dodge, the input delivers immediate return, and feels more rewarding for it. But that didn't break the game's difficulty either, the game just throws more challenging enemies at you in greater numbers, I don't see why that can't be the Dark Souls experience either.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Look, guy, I don't mind a game requiring attention and patience, friend, but Dark Souls literally needs someone who has no fucking feelings to keep repeating that fucking shit until they ace it, buddy! THAT SHIT AIN'T COOL, MANG!

But then again, while I suck at RTS games and don't have the patience for masochistic RPGs, I absolutely respect their depth and style and am against this 'easier difficulty' shindig. If I'm too bad at it, I leave it to those who aren't and feel happy for them being happy, not ruin their fun by demanding that the game becomes easier. That's just fucking selfish.... Fuck everybody who made Crysis 2 what it is.

@Klei said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

/thread

That's the problem though, while I respect the GB moderators and think they're doing a great job, they don't seem to put a lot of thought into locking. Sometimes a picture or a video is worth a thousand paragraphs, but they don't usually notice it, they seem to just look for text and, if none is to be found, lock the thread.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Thanks for dragging stuff from 4chan here, next time leave it there.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By alternate

If the next game did have an easy mode, there is nothing making you play it. Who knows, it might convince a timid gamer to play the game, one he might have otherwise avoided. You can always work your way up to normal. Choice is good.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JackOhara

@MikkaQ said:

@JackOhara: @SoylentGreen: I feel like there wouldn't be any change to the risk/reward systrem, you merely have to scale the difficulty up. LIke yeah if an enemy can finish me off in like one or two hits, that's fine by me, but give me the tools to play the game as fast as I can input commands. If it truly is skill based why put an artificial limit to my skills by making the combat less fun.

I think it doesn't speak to the quality of the game that you need to have slow animations for it to work at all. It just means there's a bigger problem to deal with in the design.

Looking at something I'm playing now, Borderlands 2, they give you guns that do the most ridiculous things imaginable, I don't feel some kind of authorial hand trying to dictate my play experience, I can shoot as well as I can shoot, and I can dodge as well I can dodge, the input delivers immediate return, and feels more rewarding for it. But that didn't break the game's difficulty either, the game just throws more challenging enemies at you in greater numbers, I don't see why that can't be the Dark Souls experience either.

Making it so that the enemies kill you in one or two hits would make the game even more punishing if you fuck up, and you would spend waaaay more time retreading ground. I think the argument that it is putting an artificial limit on your skills is silly. I mean, you can only run so fast in Borderlands, so are they putting an artificial limit on your skills by making it so you can't run as fast as you want? They could just make it so enemies can do the same, right?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I think if it bothers you so much then you should choose normal difficulty

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WarlordPayne

There are already so many people screaming about the Souls games being brutally difficult and unfair that I don't think the few people who would develop bad habits by playing easy mode would make much of a difference.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

My thought: Grind and redoing an area sucks regardless of difficulty setting. Dark Souls is predicated on grinding and redoing content which is bad.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JackOhara

@EXTomar said:

I've never grinded for anything except humanity for PvP, so I'm not sure what you mean regarding that. The whole concept of 'repeating content' is a bit fuzzy considering there's often more than one way through an area, and you will often experience something that you didn't see on your first pass through if you run through it again.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar

I'll give you a hint using the cute comic example you posted: A new player doesn't know what a floor trap looks like let alone that they should be looking down for it and die to it. They run back to the area (HINT REDOING THE LEVEL) and experiment with the trap to see how to beat it.

The way a lot of the levels and traps are layed out in Dark Souls reminds me of 80s and 90s text adventures and they beat on you room by room and that wasn't fun then either. Endurance Tests can be fun but they have to be paced and setup in a certain way and springing surprise on the player doesn't exactly help. Modern design and tech allows designers to create levels with enough cues that tells the player the situation without saying "DON'T STEP ON THIS". Dark Soul's doesn't bother so in a lot of ways Adventurer 2 is correct.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23  Edited By Giantstalker

Why does it matter how any given person plays the game. It's their game. It's not like you have to use the easy mode option, if it ever gets implemented.

This whole issue is just stupid. Let people play the game the way they want.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

@JackOhara: I would say it's not the same. The movement speed in Borderlands feels right, I can't say the same for how combat feels in Dead Souls. I feel like I should be able to do more then the game is letting me. It's not like I want insanely fast attacks or anything, but when I feel like I'm watching a little animation unfold every time I hit the attack button instead of that button just instantly delivering an attack, it just doesn't feel right. The controls should feel like second nature at some point, and they just never seem to jive in Dead Souls for me. It's the same reason I never liked the classic Prince of Persia games either.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WarlordPayne

@EXTomar: In Dark Souls you should always have your shield up when you're walking around, something you learn very very early. The first several times you run into the arrow traps in the floor they fire from the front so that if you have your shield up you take no damage. By the time they start firing them at your back you should already know to recognize them and if you don't notice it it's your own fault for not paying attention.

That's the whole core of the game, you need to be careful at all times regardless of how safe you seem. And in nearly all instances if you go slowly and cautiously you will survive whatever the game throws at you. You will have to redo an area as punishment for being careless and getting yourself killed. Without having some form of punishment for failing to play correctly there would be no reason to play the game as designed, you'd just hurl yourself at your obstacle until you succeeded and then move on to the next, which would be a pretty awful game.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JackOhara

@MikkaQ said:

@JackOhara: I would say it's not the same. The movement speed in Borderlands feels right, I can't say the same for how combat feels in Dead Souls. I feel like I should be able to do more then the game is letting me. It's not like I want insanely fast attacks or anything, but when I feel like I'm watching a little animation unfold every time I hit the attack button instead of that button just instantly delivering an attack, it just doesn't feel right. The controls should feel like second nature at some point, and they just never seem to jive in Dead Souls for me. It's the same reason I never liked the classic Prince of Persia games either.

Interesting, I understand how you can feel that way. Did you try some of the faster weapons like the rapier or any of the smaller curved swords?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ares42

My thoughts. You're completely avoiding the issue at hand. Sure, there are people that approach it the wrong way and end up with a bad experience, but that can almost always be attributed to the fact that the game does a poor job of explaining itself. I've gone into lengths about why that is good/bad other places, but your cartoon is about as clever as the second warrior it portrays.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

@JackOhara: I haven't exactly spent a lot of time in Dark Souls to compare the different kinds of weaponry I just found the default pacing and style of combat to be off putting enough to not want to continue. I suppose a faster weapon could alleviate some of those issues, but probably not enough to turn around on the game.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Turambar

@MikkaQ said:

That would not make it a better game. That would make it a different game, period. Can't stand not being able to mash buttons? Don't play.

Edit: And when was the deliberate choice to commit you to an attack when you went for a swing making gameplay take a backseat, and not part of the core foundation of said gameplay period? Is your definition of gameplay that narrow?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By monetarydread

@MikkaQ said:

@JackOhara: I haven't exactly spent a lot of time in Dark Souls to compare the different kinds of weaponry I just found the default pacing and style of combat to be off putting enough to not want to continue. I suppose a faster weapon could alleviate some of those issues, but probably not enough to turn around on the game.

I understand where you are coming from. I guess everyone's real problem isn't what you are saying, it is your conviction to the stance of "I don't like this aspect, so it must be bad." The whole point of Dark Souls game play is to stress that you have to be careful, deliberate, and keep up your attention to detail. That is the entire point of the game, and if you stray in any way, you will fail. The game isn't even that hard, it is just punishing to those people that try to rush through things. If you die and try to run past enemies to get back to your corpse you will die. If you don't hold your shield up before walking around a corner, you will die. This design theory to punish the lazy or impatient is the whole game, so to reiterate, just because you don't enjoy that type of game does not mean that it is a bad game, or that it is flawed.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dungbootle

What an awful comic

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Klei

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

/thread

There's already a thread about a potential DS easy mode, though.
    BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By BaneFireLord

Please, explain to me how the game getting an easy mode in any way whatsoever affects the experience you have had with it on its current difficulty. Oh, what's that? It DOESN'T affect it? Weird, because the way the internet is making it sound is that if this hypothetical easy mode is implemented, it retroactively erases all the fun you had and deletes your saves. 

Seriously, why is this an issue?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By jacksukeru

*Sad sigh*

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar

@EXTomar said:

I'll give you a hint using the cute comic example you posted: A new player doesn't know what a floor trap looks like let alone that they should be looking down for it and die to it. They run back to the area (HINT REDOING THE LEVEL) and experiment with the trap to see how to beat it.

The way a lot of the levels and traps are layed out in Dark Souls reminds me of 80s and 90s text adventures and they beat on you room by room and that wasn't fun then either. Endurance Tests can be fun but they have to be paced and setup in a certain way and springing surprise on the player doesn't exactly help. Modern design and tech allows designers to create levels with enough cues that tells the player the situation without saying "DON'T STEP ON THIS". Dark Soul's doesn't bother so in a lot of ways Adventurer 2 is correct.

When you see a set of flat tiles, and then a tile in the middle of them that is suspiciously and conspicuously elevated, and don't think to yourself "That's probably gonna trigger a trap", you're beyond help. First time players are in fact very capable of picking up on those clues. Just not the ones that treat it like God of War and let their eyes only gravitate to things that have a literal "press me" sign over them written in fire.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By haffy

@BaneFireLord said:

Please, explain to me how the game getting an easy mode in any way whatsoever affects the experience you have had with it on its current difficulty. Oh, what's that? It DOESN'T affect it? Weird, because the way the internet is making it sound is that if this hypothetical easy mode is implemented, it retroactively erases all the fun you had and deletes your saves. Seriously, why is this an issue?

Generally people like to get together and put their minds or body's to use to achieve something difficult that others can't.

If people were allowed to do marathons on bikes, and you got basically the same reward out of doing it on a bike, the people who did it on foot kind of feel shafted.

Also why are people so desperate to change the game to an easier and basically same shity games that come out constantly. The game is pretty unique and offers people something different out of a retail game. You barely get anything out of the story, the real big draw to this game is the difficulty and game play. You take that away and make it more attractive to a wider audience, who have a shit load of similar games to choose from, why would they choose this?

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Levio

Is there a third graphic where the adventurer dies hundreds of times in a row because he didn't press a counter button within the .3 second timeframe? I feel like that would appropriately describe quite a few games interpretation of "difficulty".

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turambar

@BaneFireLord said:

Please, explain to me how the game getting an easy mode in any way whatsoever affects the experience you have had with it on its current difficulty. Oh, what's that? It DOESN'T affect it? Weird, because the way the internet is making it sound is that if this hypothetical easy mode is implemented, it retroactively erases all the fun you had and deletes your saves. Seriously, why is this an issue?

Because of combat of mechanics of Dark Souls would not work as an easier game. The attack animations are designed to be slow and purposeful, and fits in with the core conceit of the game that you have to be careful. Commit to a dangerous attack, and you'll likely get punished.

Switch it to easy mode where suddenly your mistakes are not punished, and now the combat mechanics will suddenly feel lacking because the limitations in speed when there is nothing punishing you for unskilled haste is going to feel like nothing but a hindrance. It will literally make the game play worse. If you want to replicate this scenario, go use cheats for the PC version or the bottomless box glitch for the console versions and give a new NG character all the endgame weapons and equipment. That playthrough is suddenly gonna be pretty god damn boring.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EXTomar

I don't know if that is necessarily the case. When people fawn over a game like this and go "You must play it", buy it, and find it impenetrable and borderline unplayable they are left wondering "What the?" To extend the marathon metaphor, it would be like telling your jogger friend "I ran this race that was so awesome." They signed up and found it pretty horrible experience running through a smelly, mosquito ridden swamp in 100+ weather. Screw offering your friend a bike where instead they are going to feel cheated since race was a disaster where no one should be surprised they abandoned it. Suggesting they need to "man up" is not the solution for many either.

There is a balance that must be struck in any game design. In a game like Dark Souls, it is already not mainstream and those that did actually stick through it are in a minority. Maybe those designers are wondering if they change the game a little they can get many more people playing and finishing their game instead of just giving up?

Beyond this game, I have always felt no game is ever harmed by offering an easy difficulty setting or mode. It is elitist and snobbery to suggest that a game can't make allowances for easier play.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JackOhara

@EXTomar said:

It has nothing to do with elitism or snobbery, all anyone is saying is that by turning down the difficulty you will make the game not fun. The challenge is an essential component of the Souls machine. If you were to take it away it would simply would not be as fun, even for the people that couldn't 'slog' through it in it's orignal state. And another thing, people exaggerate the difficulty of the Souls games WAY too much. The game is really not that hard, you just have to learn to play it and be patient, which obviously some aren't willing to do. I also think many people are expecting an experience similar to other main stream RPGs where you can pause the game, heal, et cetera, which is a bit silly.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Dark

@MikkaQ said:

They made that game, its called Devil May Cry. Infact, they made that game several times over many years to the point where its actually pretty boring.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@MikkaQ said:

I was trying to pinpoint why I just couldn't get into this game, and you pretty much nailed it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@Turambar said:

@MikkaQ said:

That would not make it a better game. That would make it a different game, period. Can't stand not being able to mash buttons? Don't play.

Edit: And when was the deliberate choice to commit you to an attack when you went for a swing making gameplay take a backseat, and not part of the core foundation of said gameplay period? Is your definition of gameplay that narrow?

Who the fuck said anything about mashing buttons? He's not saying he wants to mash buttons. He's saying that swinging a weapon shouldn't take two whole seconds.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox

They should offer both an easier and harder difficulty modes. If anything should happen, it should go both ways.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Turambar
    @PrivateIronTFU said:

@Turambar said:

@MikkaQ said:

Who the fuck said anything about mashing buttons? He's not saying he wants to mash buttons. He's saying that swinging a weapon shouldn't take two whole seconds.

Why shouldn't swinging a weapon the length of your body take two seconds?  Want to attack faster?  Use weapons that have faster swings.  They do exist in the game.  Amazing, I know.  Want weapons that will attack 10 times faster with mid animation cancels?  Go play a game friendly to hitting buttons as fast as possible, or as I'd like to call, mashing buttons.

Edit: Just to further iterate my point, you want faster swinging weapons?  Use the weapons in the first half of this video.  No, these weapons are still not going to let you juggle something in the air.  Don't like that?  Stop playing.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bybeach

I think if there was an easy mode some ppl. would commit hari kari over their own nerdism,. Supposed to be hard though (unless you get it), even I understand that. So IDK i still have to get the game for pc. Actually thought I was being sneaky smart and that might make it a bit easier. I hear things though...

Waiting for a sale

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By 71Ranchero

Some crazy ass people in this thread talking nonsense about speeding up animations and making everything cancel. I think that DS would no longer be DS. Part of the appeal of DS is that its basically a fantasy simulation in the same way that Mech games can be simulations. Messing up the purposely deliberate animations would pretty much kill the reason many people enjoy the game.

Inquisitor_Sif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Inquisitor_Sif

As far as I can remember, this game has been marketed as brutally hard. In other word, you have been warned beforehand that you're not getting an easy time with this game if you choose to play it. On the other hand it also means that the difficulty is the selling point of Dark Souls. So why would there be a need to add the 'easy mode'?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone saying, "What's wrong with an easy mode? It will bring in new players!": That's the problem. I'm sure I'm going to raked over the coals for this, but real talk? Fuck new players. "New players" and "the wider audience" and "casual gamers" are why video games are in the sorry state they're in right now. Games are super linear, overly scripted, too hand-holdy, and way too watered down and homogenized across the board for the sole reason of pandering to the mass audience. It seems even niche games like Dark Souls are no longer safe from this.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laserbolts

Do a search of the Dark Souls forums and you should see a thread about this already. No need for another one but since I'm here I'll state I have no problem with there being an easier difficulty since I can still play on the standard difficulty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.