Need Help with Lautrec Please!

#1 Posted by WholeWheatBread (3 posts) -

Hi guys. Got this game just recently and I'm really liking it. But I've hit a bump in the road and need help. I've read online and have been told by friends that I should kill this guy named Lautrec to get a ring. They say he's underneath the gargoyles in a prison cell and you can either release him or keep him in there. But I went to the cell and he's no longer there. I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if it's supposed to happen. Just need some feedback other people.

Here are things that might help

- I've killed the gargoyles BEFORE I went to the cell

- Someone summoned me to their game and killed him in their own world

I'm not sure if those are helpful but who knows. Thanks in advance.

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Its not a cell. Its behind a fake wall if I recall right. *Ok ya hes in a cell but its behind a fake wall* 

If you beat the boss he will show up later after you finish Uneadparish.  

He should be sitting across from the firelink shrine.  

Being summoned to their world has nothing to do with where he appears in your world. 

#3 Posted by WholeWheatBread (3 posts) -

Yea I've read he's supposed to be downstairs near Anastacia's prison but he's nowhere to be found. Is that where you were talking about?

#4 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -

In my first play through Lauretec was not in his cell and I was never sure why. In my second play through he was sitting there. Point is - whether he is of is not in his cell is not crucial as to whether you can finish the game.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@WholeWheatBread said:

Yea I've read he's supposed to be downstairs near Anastacia's prison but he's nowhere to be found. Is that where you were talking about?

Did you finish the undead parish? 
#6 Posted by TobbRobb (4649 posts) -

Yeah he should be in firelink, or you looked in the wrong cell. There is a path in the room under the gargoyles with a fuckton of zombies, he should be behind a fake wall or something at the end.

#7 Posted by WholeWheatBread (3 posts) -

I checked both the cell and the area right next to the firekeeper. He's not there. I'm guessing the game glitched and he disappeared.

Should I restart and play again or is it not that big of a deal? I'm about 4-5 hours in so I'm not starting too far back.

#8 Posted by Shadowjester (93 posts) -

It took him a little bit to show up in my world the first time. I like you didn't go to his cell till after I had killed the Gargoyles. So I forgot about him and moved on. Then after I defeated the next boss. (I think I defeated either the Giant Rat or the Gaping Dragon next.) he showed up back at firelink down by Anastacia's prison. You might try going into the forest and taking on the Butterfly and then see if he's back down at firelink. (that way you don't have to replay those 4-5 hours.)

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@WholeWheatBread said:

I checked both the cell and the area right next to the firekeeper. He's not there. I'm guessing the game glitched and he disappeared.

Should I restart and play again or is it not that big of a deal? I'm about 4-5 hours in so I'm not starting too far back.

Hes nothing super important. If he does kill the lady you can track him down later. Do not restart. He doesnt sell anything and does not even give real good armour on his death. 
#10 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (172 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man

Laughing Man is right. He is not super important. Anyways, with Dark Souls of you are going to reset everytime you miss something you will never finish the game!
#11 Posted by Chippy180 (161 posts) -

To the best of my knowledge Lautrec frees himself after you've killed the Gargoyles and the story arc with the bonfire keeper will continue. I'm pretty sure that was the case for me the first time I played Dark Souls, but that was over 5 months ago at this point.

#12 Posted by SpawnMan (748 posts) -

I invaded his world and killed him after he killed Firelink's keeper. Didn't know you get her soul off him when he dies. Used the soul to upgrade my estus and now she's permanently dead. Sigh. Just kill him before he even starts.

#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

@SpawnMan said:

I invaded his world and killed him after he killed Firelink's keeper. Didn't know you get her soul off him when he dies. Used the soul to upgrade my estus and now she's permanently dead. Sigh. Just kill him before he even starts.

But then the Firekeeper won't get her tongue back.

#14 Posted by SpawnMan (748 posts) -

@Gargantuan: So, you can give her a good tonguing instead! The perfect women. Silent. ; )

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.