Need help with NG+ End Run, Soul Level 160

#1 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

Bombers - I am pushing to put Dark Souls behind me a second time (until the Astoria DLC, of course). But, I need a pal to run the Kiln with me so that I can close out my new game plus. My soul level is 160.

Understanding I've put about 120 hours into Dark Souls, any suggestions for a new PS3 or Vita purchase, perhaps a little bit of a pallet cleanser. I have not purchased a new PS3 game all year, and still have not yet played either Skyrim or Uncharted 3 (I know).

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

At level 160 you should be able to solo kiln on your second playthrough. I did and I was around 140-145 I think. What gear are you using and what is your build like?

#3 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

I haven't played Uncharted either, but coming off a Souls game I think Skyrim might seem kind of lacking in the department of combat and challenge. Not a whole lot different from Oblivion if you have played that.

#4 Posted by SuperMeatToy (35 posts) -

hit them gywn parries, dog

#5 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

I have a good build. Forgive the generalities, because even at 120 hours I still do not know the item/equipment names off the top of my head. I got the ring that lets me do those sweet flips. My best weapons are Queelag +5, Great Sword Astoria +5, Dragon Tooth +5. When I roll with Queelag or Great Sword I generally place my humanity at 10 to get the strength bonus. I have all the shields, but prefer the black iron knight shield +5 and the Great Shield of Astoria. For armor I like to use Black Knight Armor +10.

Long story short, I just want to get it done with again and am kind of burned out. Maybe I'll just let it sit as is for now.

Feel free to add me on PS3. Username: ajlangino

#6 Posted by Spoonman671 (4566 posts) -

If what you're looking for next is a palette cleanser, then you should try buying Journey from the Playstation Store.

#7 Edited by announakis (114 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

At level 160 you should be able to solo kiln on your second playthrough. I did and I was around 140-145 I think. What gear are you using and what is your build like?

@EverydayOdyssey said:

I have a good build. Forgive the generalities, because even at 120 hours I still do not know the item/equipment names off the top of my head. I got the ring that lets me do those sweet flips. My best weapons are Queelag +5, Great Sword Astoria +5, Dragon Tooth +5. When I roll with Queelag or Great Sword I generally place my humanity at 10 to get the strength bonus. I have all the shields, but prefer the black iron knight shield +5 and the Great Shield of Astoria. For armor I like to use Black Knight Armor +10.

Long story short, I just want to get it done with again and am kind of burned out. Maybe I'll just let it sit as is for now.

Feel free to add me on PS3. Username: ajlangino

ok, that does not tell us what your build is but that certainly gives away one thing: you are spread pretty thin and your build is certainly not as good as you think it is and here is why:

The great sword of Artorias requires something like 20 in intelligence, faith and dext plus 24 in strength to one-hand it....and unfortunately it is still much weaker than any other decently optimized weapon mid-way through the game...you cite Queelags +5...that is a descent weapon for a dexterity based build because it scales so well on dexterity plus the fire damage...but then you cite Dragon tooth...that is a good weapon for Strength based builds...that demonstrates that you spread your char thin on the stats...so in the end you are high level but weak. I will say only this: if you have less than 40 in endurance and 50 in vitality, you distributed your points in a bad way and your char is broken...you need to focus on one characteristic to boost being faith, intelligence, dexterity or strength (if you like slow but big weapons) as a primary source of damage to scale on...the great sword of Artorias scales B or C on 4 different characteristics but it is still not nearly as good as scaling A on one high stat...except if you are SL 300 or above (and even then I am not sure lol) So I would need to know your stats precisely to understand why you struggle but having suboptimal stat distribution is a big problem for being competitive on the PvP scene but for the PvE that should not be a definitive obstacle.

the rings are fine also: you have the dark wood grain ring (aka ninja flip ring) that is the best ring right after the ring of favor and protection (the one from Lautrec)...so that ok here. Your armors do not really matter : the lighter the better for Stamina, but Poise is a big plus...you apparently can move at full speed with the dark knight set and the ninja ring so all clear here.

I think your main problem here would be your approach, your strategy against Gwyn.

You are using great shields and that give away why you struggle: great shields do not allow to open up for a riposte...I guess thats ok but then you miss out a great way of dispatching opponents in one hit...

Gwyn is the boss that is the hardest to dodge: he's fast and his blows are super wide...So dodging him, although being a viable option if timed properly, is not easy. What you should do is standing your ground, waiting for the blow to come and BOOM RIPOSTE! But for that you will need:

1) to die a few times learning perfectly the timing...after that Gwyn is a fat joke like the black knights

2) equip gear that allows you to riposte and hit hard on riposte: that means

a) the bandit knife +15 if you have more than 40 in dexterity or you best weapon otherwise (without knowing your stats I would suspect that a good old Zweihander or a claymore elemental max (fire or electric) would outdamage by far any of the 3 weapons that you mentioned) AND the HORNET RING (the ring that boosts damage on critcals)

b) a medium shield (I guess the grass crest shield is the best medium shield in the game or the blood shield from the painted world...or even the parrying dagger or any weapon in the left hand that allow to riposte.

with this, I swear Gwyn is just sooooooooooooooo easy that you will find it very disappointing. He is just slightly harder to kill than a regular black knight because he has different moves and much more health...but that's it.

Have fun.

#8 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

announ speaks the hard truth

#9 Posted by thomasnash (539 posts) -

Other tips for beating Gwyn:

People often just recommend the parry/riposte strategy. I never managed to learn the timing on that - oh how I tried! - I just never managed it. So here's a few tips for doing it without parrying:

Gwyn is weak to fire and magic based damage. If your stats are spread as thinly as announakis thinks then getting a fire weapon might be sensible, at least to check how much damage you can do, but Quelaag's might be the best if you don't mind rolling in with that much humanity.

Gwyn is fast, so you need to be as well. Again, Furysword is good for this because you can get hits off fairly quickly, but you can't get greedy. Go one hit at a time. Alternatively, if you can do enough damage (not sure how much, you'd have to experiment) you can roll in with a Zweihander or something. It's slow, but if you get the hit off then you should stagger him, allowing the animation to finish out and you to get your shield up. I think my tactic ended up being dodge-light attack with Zweihander-ninja flip out of it ASAP!

Fire resistant gear...

Stamina regen of some kind is super helpful. Consider using the grass crest shield, but also think about whether it's worth not having 100% physical damage reduction.

My final piece of advice, and this is probably the single most useful piece of advice I can give you if you aren't going to parry/riposte: Use the stalagmites/pillars in the room to your advantage. If you get far enough away from Gwyn, he will do that leap attack at you. If you put a pillar between you and him when he does this, he gets stuck on it, giving you a chance to heal up.

Incidentally, even if there isn't a pillar, I found that his leaping attack was the best moment to get attacks in, cos it takes him a second to recover. I think I mostly let him do that, then used the attack on the Zweihander where you roll then light attack for a little stabbing attack.

#10 Posted by EverydayOdyssey (171 posts) -

@announakis: I should've hired you as a consultant 120 hours ago.

Thanks for the advice guys (and gals?).

#11 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

queelag's is pretty garbage if you ask me

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4051 posts) -

@thomasnash: @EverydayOdyssey: I also didn't do it the parrying way. I tried for about 8 hours trying to defeat him with ninja flips and various strategies (like area pyro attacks or the weapons with 500 blood loss) but I just couldn't do it. In the end I used Black Iron Armour +5 (because of the high physical and fire defence), Havel's leggings (for the poise) and the Wolf Ring (for poise). I don't remember the gloves or helmet because they didn't matter as much. I used Iron Flesh as soon as I walk in for the added physical and fire defence. My weapon was 2 handed Black Knight Halberd +5 but most of my damage dealing was done with Great Combustion.

Basically I let him work me into the corner where the fog wall meets physical wall and sometimes he'd miss with his jumping attack. His grab attack is easy to dodge so that is one great opportunity to get a physical attack, pyro attack, heal or recast Iron Flesh (which you will need to do once). If I remember correctly, for the most part any two attacks of mine would stagger him which is long enough to heal once. I had the poise and defence to eat his attacks and was able to hit him but I still had to worry about health and stamina. If I failed I would have died close enough to the fog wall to get my stuff back before he even reached me and I'd homeward bone out once I got enough souls for another level of vitality.

#13 Posted by thomasnash (539 posts) -

@drag: It's not got the best damage, especially if you don't want to roll around with 10 loose humanity, but it has really fast attack animations, and there's a lot of enemies that are weak to fire. Admittedly, Uchi +15 or with elemental damage probably has similar advantages, so maybe it's not worth it?

#14 Edited by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

I would love to help you but now I'm kinda stuck in Tomb of Giants since some Gravelord Servant decided to torment me with his/her world curse that puts ridiculously hard red phantoms all over my world now. I could use the help to hunt down that bastard's gravelord sign or just help me get through those levels.

My soul level is 150 and here is my current character.

#15 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I found Gwyn a cake walk compared to some other bosses. I never parried him once. I just muched a load of stamina grass and applied charcoal pine resin and ninja flipped out of his way and hit him when i got the chance. Only took about 2 minutes or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.