Need some help/advice on how to proceed in Dark Souls (spoilers)

#51 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

I love this thread. You're just learning and growing so fast with the community. I feel like a proud papa.

#52 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@Rhaknar said:

edit: on a positive / funny note, was invaded for the first time and kinda destroyed the invader... I imagine it was some kid who had no idea what he was doing because he kept swinging his meat cleaver on the ground giving me tons of time to circle around and backstab him. Was fun tho, got 3 humanity and about 10k souls, and his meat cleaver thing (thing its the one those butchers dropped)

Sorry to say, but that's one of the NPC invaders.

well thats...disapointing :P Didnt know there were NPC invaders. Something I didnt mention tho, even tho I got the humanity and souls from him, I actually died, lost about 9k souls and died again before getting it back soon after :(

@golguin said:

@Rhaknar said:

in a weird funk tonight where I just keep dying in stupid spots, think Ill leave it for another day. Those worms in the ant-hill / cocoon thing in the swamp are imcredibly annoying, died several times form just falling (lol) going up again to the firelink shortcut, died to a huge undead dragon in a cliff, died to the big guys with rocks in the swamp in combination with flies, running out of arrows... yeah, just one of those days when you just keep fucking up over and over again, bumming me out so I think its best I leave it for today :P

and I did save Latrec from the jail in the Parish if thats who youre talking about...he goes around killing people I need you say? well fuck lol

Have you successfully used the shortcut? The undead dragon on the cliff leads to another area in the Valley of the Drakes. The shortcut is right in front of you coming out of that tunnel in blight town. You cross that little bridge in front of you and then open up the steel gate.

Lautrec will kill the firekeeper, but you can bring her back to life later. It doesn't really matter that she dies at that point because after you beat the boss in that cocoon (you can ignore all the enemies inside the cocoon and the praying guys will leave you alone) you wont be going back to firelink for a long time.

IMPORTANT

Don't ever kill the guys crawling on the ground with sacks on their backs who occasionally pray. You might accidentally kill a very important NPC. They are too slow to pose a threat and most will completely ignore you. The only ones who will even try to attack are in a fire/magma place.

thank you for the tip on the crawling guys with the pus sacks, Ill ignore them now, those worms are really annoying. and I actually opened that door you mentioned, but it said Londo Ruins (or soemthing?) and I thought it was a new zone so I went the other way, saw the dragon and of course I had to hit him >_>

@Tackchevy said:

I love this thread. You're just learning and growing so fast with the community. I feel like a proud papa.

lol. Its funny because Matt Rorie said something like "I think the best way to play the game is months later after it came out when people know everything and an help you" in his video conversation with Matt Kessler, and I kind of agree. All the tips in this thread have helped me enjoy the game a lot more. Got a special sword called Sever that seems to leech health, but aparently it doesnt stack with the ring that does the same, so I think Ill ignore it, the dmg seems shitty and I need 3 more str to use it properly anyway.

#53 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Parish > Forest > New Londo > Blight Town > Anor Londo > Izalith

The real man's route.

#54 Posted by golguin (3923 posts) -

Yes the shortcut will take you to new londo ruins. Simply take that elevator and walk out and either go upstairs or downstairs and the elevator right next to it will take you right to firelink. You will have to take that shortcut once you beat the boss in the cacoon.

#55 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

Parish > Depths > Blighttown > Fuck this game

The thinking man's route.

#56 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

is the forrest the place you access via the blacksmith and the mini-boss there? I remember going there and killing 1 tree ent thing with some other character

#57 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

If you feel you're having trouble killing things, just restart the game and go Wanderer Dex Build with the Uchigatana. The build just rocks.

#58 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Nikoran said:

If you feel you're having trouble killing things, just restart the game and go Wanderer Dex Build with the Uchigatana. The build just rocks.

Ive already restarted 3 or 4 times, got too much investied in this char now. And Im not really having problems killing stuff, just having a shitty night where Im playing shitty and dying alot all over the place :P

#59 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Just keep at it, dude. I was like you during my first playthrough as well, honestly, once you've beat a boss once it becomes a piece of cake the second time.

#60 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

lol. Its funny because Matt Rorie said something like "I think the best way to play the game is months later after it came out when people know everything and an help you" in his video conversation with Matt Kessler, and I kind of agree. All the tips in this thread have helped me enjoy the game a lot more.

If you ask me it is the worst way to play the game. The biggest thrill this game has is going into a hard series of encounters on your own, figuring out how to beat it on your terms, then doing so. Reading a strategy for a boss, then just following a proven easy mode strategy, doesn't feel like I accomplished a whole lot.

Case in point, Gaping Dragon. Everyone talks how easy and such he is. And he is. If you know the strategy and know to cut off his tail first.

To each their own.

#61 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: There is a progress boss there too.

I can't wait to hear about how he fucks you up.

The thinking man doesn't do the depths. That would be the foolish man.

#62 Posted by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@Canteu: The depths are 30-35k souls basically for free, and it only takes 5min or something. I'd say it's not that foolish. :D

#63 Posted by mosespippy (4177 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

is the forrest the place you access via the blacksmith and the mini-boss there? I remember going there and killing 1 tree ent thing with some other character

Yeah that's the forrest. It's got some great loot and you should have been able to handle the enemies there a long time ago.

#64 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar said:

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

Yeah that's the forrest. It's got some great loot and you should have been able to handle the enemies there a long time ago.

Just remember to avoid the Basin. There's a big ol' Hydra there that will destroy you without proper upgraded gear and plenty of Estus Flasks.

#65 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

killed the fire spider-ant-whatever thing after dying a shitload of times, proving tonight is not my night. Easy boss too, all my deaths were just stupid on my part. Rang the second bell now, cutscene opened that gate back near the BS so I guess thats where I need to go. I also joined the spider lady covenent, but dont have enough magic to use the great fireball she gives lol. I notice there was a red hell-like area down the stairs, I assume I should avoid that for now?

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar said:

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

yeah like I said I killed that shrub thing with my other character relatively easy, I guess i would destroy it now. Might check it out now on the way to the gate. I really want to upgrade my black knight sword :(

#66 Posted by mosespippy (4177 posts) -

@C_Rakestraw: Basin Hydra is easy to dodge and only gets easier as you cut off it's heads. The only thing you need for success is the rusted iron ring. Plus, Basin has the grass crest shield, black knight halberd and Knight armour. In my opinion it's all easier than Blight Town.

#67 Posted by Karkarov (3102 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

I notice there was a red hell-like area down the stairs, I assume I should avoid that for now?

You really don't know how right you are. Follow your assumption in this case.

#68 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

killed the fire spider-ant-whatever thing after dying a shitload of times, proving tonight is not my night. Easy boss too, all my deaths were just stupid on my part. Rang the second bell now, cutscene opened that gate back near the BS so I guess thats where I need to go. I also joined the spider lady covenent, but dont have enough magic to use the great fireball she gives lol. I notice there was a red hell-like area down the stairs, I assume I should avoid that for now?

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar said:

@Canteu said:

The real man's route.

yeah like I said I killed that shrub thing with my other character relatively easy, I guess i would destroy it now. Might check it out now on the way to the gate. I really want to upgrade my black knight sword :(

You can upgrade your sword with Twinkling Titanite. You can get it off crystal lizards or from the blacksmith in Anor Londo just beyond Sen's Fortress, which you just opened.

And yeah -- don't bother heading into the Demon Ruins yet. Lot of strong monsters lurking further on in there.

#69 Posted by c_rakestraw (853 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@C_Rakestraw: Basin Hydra is easy to dodge and only gets easier as you cut off it's heads. The only thing you need for success is the rusted iron ring. Plus, Basin has the grass crest shield, black knight halberd and Knight armour. In my opinion it's all easier than Blight Town.

True, but upgrading his gear wouldn't hurt. Always good to have some extra defense in the event that those massive balls of water hit him.

#70 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

last update for tonight because I gotta go to work lol (damn graveyard shifts), shame cause I was getting my groove again. Fun updating the thread since people seem to be on some sort of nostalgia trip following my game. So I took the shortcut via Londo ruins back to firelink shrine, but the esther flask upgrade lady is now dead and I got her gear (its shit), i cant use the bonfire and there seem to be some sort of bigass brain with tentales or something in the distance :O what the fuck is going on in this game man.

Question: Londo Ruins, does the game "send" you there or its optional? When I was there looking for the shortcut, it looked pretty and I kinda wanted to explore (although I dont have time tonight cause of work), the low lvl zombies that didnt even attack me gave me a false sense of overpowerness in there. Also, shitty steam compression aside:

like a boss :P I think I love this game, but Im not sure.

edit: oh yeah been wanting to ask this... there is no 1 handed or 2 handed weapons in the game right, it all depends if you have enough STR (or whatever stat) to hold them with 1 hand? I cant imagine not using a shield in this game, I tried using my sword with 2 hands on some ocastions, the dmg is nice but Im too paranoid not to have my shield up

#71 Posted by mosespippy (4177 posts) -

@Rhaknar: The problem with having others tell you where to go or going where you think you're supposed to go is that you miss out on really helpful things and exploration. You could go to the opened gate if you want, but there are other places you could go.

• The lava area has armour with the best fire defence in the game. You can get to it without fighting an enemy between the previous boss and the next boss. It will trigger the next boss fight though so do it as a suicide run.
  • The Undead Asylum can be returned to for some useful items.
  • You can go through the cemetery to the catacombs for an item that allows you to carry 20 estus flasks. You need a divine weapon but you probably got the one infront of the undead dragon.
  • New Londo Ruins has some stuff.
  • The forrest, as previously stated, has some great gear.
  • There are other, harder optional areas but you can do the other ones if you can do Blight Town.

If you get stuck at one place then you can try another. Finding all these places on my own is why I agree with the guy who said it's best to not seek out help. Walking into an area that I've never been before and being terrified of what might happen was great. Vereor Nox.

#72 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: When i mentioned the forest had a progress boss, this boss is directly required so you can complete the boss in New Londo, which is also a progress boss.

#73 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: The problem with having others tell you where to go or going where you think you're supposed to go is that you miss out on really helpful things and exploration. You could go to the opened gate if you want, but there are other places you could go.

• The lava area has armour with the best fire defence in the game. You can get to it without fighting an enemy between the previous boss and the next boss. It will trigger the next boss fight though so do it as a suicide run.
  • The Undead Asylum can be returned to for some useful items.
  • You can go through the cemetery to the catacombs for an item that allows you to carry 20 estus flasks. You need a divine weapon but you probably got the one infront of the undead dragon.
  • New Londo Ruins has some stuff.
  • The forrest, as previously stated, has some great gear.
  • There are other, harder optional areas but you can do the other ones if you can do Blight Town.

If you get stuck at one place then you can try another. Finding all these places on my own is why I agree with the guy who said it's best to not seek out help. Walking into an area that I've never been before and being terrified of what might happen was great. Vereor Nox.

I dont mind help in the sense of guiding me where to go more or less, area wise,I much prefer that to comments like "oh you should go here and get X weapon because its awesome". Im not reading any wikis or anything, besides this thread I havent read anything on the game. For example I knew that I could game the system and cut off that bridge dragon's tail with a million arrows to get some great sword, especially for early game, but I didnt do that, Im liking coming across gear and weapons on my own. But stuff like "go here because its your lvl range and youll be "fine" (as fine as you can be in this damn game heh) I apreciate. Does that make sense? :)

also, how the fuck do you go back to the undead asylum (thats the tutorial area right?)

#74 Posted by mosespippy (4177 posts) -

@Rhaknar: 1. You will get sent to New Londo eventually but there is nothing stopping you from going there now. Experienced players could do that area first if they wanted to. 2. All weapons can be one handed or two handed. Personally I never used a shield to block attacks. I two handed various halberds & axes and had heavy enough armour that I could let attacks hit me.

#75 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: That screenshot btw. You should get out of the habit of using tower shields, or you're going to have a hell of a time with the last boss.

To get back to the asylum:

Take the elevator back up to the parish, but jump off on the first ledge you see. You can see a big old birds nest and an item on a roof. Get the item, then repeat and reach the nest. Sit in the nest.

#76 Posted by mosespippy (4177 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Yes, that's the tutorial area. Jump off the elevator between the parish and firelink. Move around up there and grab a key from on top of the building that Petrus is in. Go over to the cliffs and roll or jump over to the tower with the spiralling stairs. Curl up into a ball in the bird's nest and he'll take you back to the asylum. Most of the enemies there are easy but there is one boss that always messed up my shit so I'd come back a third time much later.

#77 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@mosespippy: You need to be vaguer. You're giving him too much information. Stick to your own ideal situation dude.

#78 Posted by golguin (3923 posts) -

To get back to the undead asylum you need to do a few things. First you hop off the elevator at firelink that heads to the undead church. You will notice that you can safely walk off to explore the rest if firelink. Do that and you'll see what to do. Just don't attack the crow in any way. He's your ride.

#79 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

If you get the Drake Sword and then the stats to wield it without penalty, that honestly lasts you a good portion of the game. I felt a little cheated by that since there's no benefit to trying other weapons for a long time, but if you're having trouble then you should grab the sword by shooting the dragon's tail under the bridge.

#80 Edited by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@DeadDorf: He is already at the point where the Drake Sword is terrible though.

EDIT: Also OP, even though you can't kill the boss in new londo yet, "the game won't let you try" there is still some useful stuff down there, and it's a cool area. I wouldn't tell you not to check it out. Especially so since the story progress (the big fat gate) is gonna be REALLY HARD from now on. So doing some sidestuff to beef up and get more used to your equipment and movement is not only a good idea, but I recommend it. Run around the world! Find stuff! There are only really two areas where I would tell you to not go. "Lava land and the deepest depths of the catacombs"

#81 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

thanks to everyone for the continuing tips, thread is helping me enjoy the game a lot. I have to admit Im a bit overwhelmed at the moment with all the places I can go, Im not "that" guy with games usually, I like my critical path, or at least to know what zones are for my level and whatnot (like in mmos for example). Back on firelink what I thought in the distance was some sort of brain tentacle monster was in fact a talking snake (lol?) which told me to go to Londo to get something, and is also a vendor for all the trash (jesus finally). So here's where Im at / what Ive been doing today:

- I checked out Londo again liket he snake said, and some regular looking dude in armor attacked me at the start. I killed him with no problem (wasnt a invader), and I noticed that the dude in firelink sitting down isnt there anymore...what the hell, was that him lol? But anyway, in Londo I ran into some ghosts,and I remember I had a item with me (a couple of them in fact) called transient curse or something, that said I need it to hit ghosts, so I guess I have to be cursed to fight them? I didnt use it, I ran back to firelink because Im not ready to do a whole zone with half health (assuming that curse is the same as the curse I got in the sewers).

-went back to the parish to check the forrest area, and as expected, I 1 shot those tree-ents dudes there. I noticed the basin area you guys siad ot avoid for now, and I saw a door with a glowing white lock, and I remembered the blacksmith sold something to unlock doors in the forrest, so I went back to the parish and farmed the area near the BS bonfire (good spot with lots of those cloaked skellys that I can 1 shot these days, which is fun) to get 20k souls for the key. I dont even know if its worth it, but oh well. I also got 1 of those things to cure curses from the guy in the belltower to cure the eventual ghost curse when Im done in Londo. Also, those tree-ent dudes drop alot of poison / toxin curing items, wish I had known that before doing blighttown lol.

-also while in the parish, I knocked off the dragon's tail just for lolsies, and yeah you guys werent kidding, that sword would be ridiculous at low lvls. Worse than mine atm tho so I guess ill just feed it to the snake, hopefully it gives good souls. Speaking of the dragon, I tried to arrow him to death for a cheap soul boost, but I got bored and gave up...I couldnt tell if he was healing himself or not in between, his health was lower than usual, but I wasnt sure if that was just the chunk he lost from losing his tail. So yeah, I couldnt be arsed :/

-I fell off the lift in firelink but didnt see any path where I landed to the birds nest (to go back to the tutorial area) so I must have done something wrong, Ill try it again eventually. see, thats one of those things I would NEVER do on my own (or find out on my own), thats why I like this thread.

So yeah, bit of a setup couple of hours, I think I got all I need between the forrest key, the curse / decurse items for Londo and my gear upgraded as far as I can with what I had. I keep finding items in my inventory I dont even know how / where I got them, or am exactly sure what to use them for. Examples:

-I got a item called quaag...quagl...whatever the fire spider lady was called soul, says it gives lots of souls OR is used to make a item, no idea how to make said item :P

-got 2 items, one says to pull phantoms to me (im afraid to use it in case thats to summon players and I get some high lvl asshole that rips me apart lol) and one says to invade and kill whoever is killing the fireshrine people, or something?

#82 Edited by Seauton (114 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Using a transient curse won't affect your health, it just gives you a "curse status" so to speak so you can hit the ghosts. The sewer-lady who sells mosses also sells a bunch of transient curses, and the ghosts have a good chance of dropping them.

edit:

Oh and Queelags soul can make Queelags fury sword, which I really enjoyed.

#83 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Seauton said:

@Rhaknar: Using a transient curse won't affect your health, it just gives you a "curse status" so to speak so you can hit the ghosts. The sewer-lady who sells mosses also sells a bunch of transient curses, and the ghosts have a good chance of dropping them.

edit:

Oh and Queelags soul can make Queelags fury sword, which I really enjoyed.

how can I make weapons with these souls, just got another from the ridiculously easy butterfly boss. Also, this area behind the locked door in the forrest that needed the 20k key, it has some mobs that look like players and give a ton of souls, like 2k and shit, and they seem to respawn...wtf, great farming spot if youre into that / need it? Also in this zone I saw a BIG ASS gate with player warnings there was a boss, and also killed some annoying giant panthers...Ive seen videos (mostly in video reviews) of a giant white wolf boss, I assume hes around here :(

Im so scared walking in unknown areas man lol, reminds me alot of zombie u (man that game takes ALOT of ideas from the souls series), when I know the paths and what enemies respawn and shit its fine, but the unknown is terrifying (the game isnt scary per se, just dying is scary heh).

ps: I feel bad for killing those mushroom dudes walking around :( they dont seem to aggro >_>

#84 Posted by Seauton (114 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Once you have the Boss souls, and the correct item (for Queelags I think its a +10 curved sword) then you need to talk to the giant blacksmith in Anor Londo.

The respawning mobs are NPCs of the forest company (theres a really easy way to farm them), and Sif the Greatwolf is behind that big shiny door. He is a progess boss that needs to be killed at some point....and screw the mushroom men.

#85 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: For all of those questions you just asked. You'll figure it out. I think you should stop asking for advice now, since you seem to have a better idea on how to play the game and how to get there.

You're ruining it for yourself at this point.

#86 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@Rhaknar: For all of those questions you just asked. You'll figure it out. I think you should stop asking for advice now, since you seem to have a better idea on how to play the game and how to get there.

If Im asking its because I dont think it will ruin it for me :P I could just read a wiki, but I prefer to ask and get just tips, not straight solutions. As much as im liking the game, its not some sort of religious experience for me im sorry. I have a stupid large backlog to get through, I dont intend on playing dark souls forever. I dont mean I want to rush through it, but I dont mind to know stuff ahead of time. Hell I rarely give a fuck about story spoilers, let alone mechanic ones :)

and hey, you wanna talk about leaving me to my own means and find stuff out on my own? Just farmed those forrest npcs for an hour to get STR up to 32 to use the black knight greatsword, and i fucking HATE it. its ridiculously slow compared to the normal black knight sword (they both said greatsword so I thought it would be the same speed), and now Ive wasted a fuckton (well not wasted but still) of lvls / points for something I wont use... THAT ruins the game for me (stuff like that I mean), not knowing mechanics or tips, sorry. To each its own I guess, I dont want to sound ungrateful, quite the contrary, like I said im enjoying this thread. But yeah...stupid sword :(

#87 Edited by colorbrandon (164 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

@Canteu said:

If Im asking its because I dont think it will ruin it for me :P I could just read a wiki, but I prefer to ask and get just tips, not straight solutions. As much as im liking the game, its not some sort of religious experience for me im sorry. I have a stupid large backlog to get through, I dont intend on playing dark souls forever. I dont mean I want to rush through it, but I dont mind to know stuff ahead of time. Hell I rarely give a fuck about story spoilers, let alone mechanic ones :)

and hey, you wanna talk about leaving me to my own means and find stuff out on my own? Just farmed those forrest npcs for an hour to get STR up to 32 to use the black knight greatsword, and i fucking HATE it. its ridiculously slow compared to the normal black knight sword (they both said greatsword so I thought it would be the same speed), and now Ive wasted a fuckton (well not wasted but still) of lvls / points for something I wont use... THAT ruins the game for me (stuff like that I mean), not knowing mechanics or tips, sorry. To each its own I guess, I dont want to sound ungrateful, quite the contrary, like I said im enjoying this thread. But yeah...stupid sword :(

You have enough STR for a black knight halberd then, which is arguably, the best weapon in the game.

#88 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: I only suggested that, not because of the questions you are asking, but because of the answers you are getting.

These people don't know how to keep it vague and are giving you clear directions and are somewhat telling you how to play.

Try the black knight halberd in your current case. That thing is pretty baller, especially compared to the greatsword.

#89 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

Halberd is a spear-type thing right? tried one of those once, didnt care for it much :( anyone happen to know a weapon that scales with STR and isnt too slow (the black knight sword speed is ideal for me, not too slow, not too fast, I can swing 4 times before im wasted). After this greatsword debacle, I dont think Ill get 50STR to use this dragon greataxe to be honest >_>

also, stupid Londo ghosts! >_< The zone is pretty in its creepyness tho :)

#90 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Might as well give you a tip ... remember that gate that opened ? Anor Londo is through there your next "correct" way. Enjoy Sen´s Fortress ;)

#91 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

Might as well give you a tip ... remember that gate that opened ? Anor Londo is through there your next "correct" way. Enjoy Sen´s Fortress ;)

i thought Londo was where the ghosts are, where I took the shortcut back to Firelink from blighttown... guess Im in the wrong place :O Gonna try the asylum, see how that old place is :D

#92 Posted by Ares42 (2663 posts) -

@Rhaknar: Halberds seems bad if you're just checking the moveset (as they have stagger when you whiff). Personally I would suggest great axes. They have some wind-up but barely any recovery at all. If you're looking for quicker strength-based weapons you need to look at things like clubs or maces.

#93 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

son of a bitch! rust iron ring, allows me to walk normal speed on swamps...where was this in blighttown :(

#94 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@Rhaknar: New Londo Ruins = Ghosts

Anor Londo = Best art in the game

It comes after the place that you just opened.

If you do new londo before anor londo, you gain access to a covenant you otherwise would miss.

#95 Posted by Eviternal (193 posts) -

I know you're past there, but just to clarify: You can't cheese the bridge dragon with arrows after a certain patch.

Don't feel bad about killing the mushroom dudes - just be sure to loot their chest if you haven't already.

As a general rule, always have 999 wooden arrows (the cheapest ones) on you - just remember you've got them and you'll find plenty of use for them without putting yourself in danger.

#96 Posted by golguin (3923 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

son of a bitch! rust iron ring, allows me to walk normal speed on swamps...where was this in blighttown :(

Make sure to fully explore the undead asylum until you find a doll. I believe it's in the cell you were in at the beginning of the game. You will want that doll. Trust me.

Also, I advise you to NEVER FEED ITEMS TO THAT SNAKE GUY. The souls you get are not worth the time and you can possible destroy items/weapons that are unique and that you might need later. You can buy at item called a Bottomless Box (from blacksmith around the church) and deposit items into that while you rest at the bonfire. Those items will no longer appear in your inventory, but they'll instead be in that box. If you want those items back simply rest at a bonfire and open up your bottomless box.

At this point you are merely delaying the inevitable that is Sen's Fortress. People are suggesting that you go to this and that area because they already know what's there and know the limiters that are currently placed on those areas. A normal playthrough would never have you visit areas that require foreknowledge of those areas. Only knowledge you wouldn't get in the game itself would give reason to seek out those areas or the items found there.

Also, make sure to check item descriptions. The boss souls are used to make unique items (giant blacksmith in Anor Londo) that will be lost to you in that current playthrough if you use them to get souls instead of giving them to the blacksmith. White Sign Soap stone is used to get summoned into the world of another player. The Black Separation Crystal is used to end co-op by sending yourself back to your world or the host using it to send you back to your world (also send yourself back if you invade).

#97 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

this game is EXAUSTING, dear god. So I did the place after the gate with snake guys and giant golem bosses...then got scooped up by gargoyle things and taken to Anor Londo, which looks all sorts of cool but man, couldnt find any bonfire in the snake guys castle, and took me a bit in Londo too. I like that it uses more usual rpg tropes like switches and traps and shit the last 2 zones Ive been in, but man... the way to get around in Anor Londo is kinda awesome but I would have never figured it out if it wasnt for people leaving those notes on the ground on top of the arch-things you need to walk on.

And then I went in a painting...fuck me. That was too stressfull because I was basically out of potions by the end of it, resorting to use humanity to heal (sigh) and cheesing the undead dragon there by shooting a MILLION ARROWS at him from inside where he couldnt reach me (not proud of it but hey, fuck you dark souls!), and finally opened the shortcut back to the bonfire with no flasks left and only 1 twin humanity left to heal lol. the end was a little anti climatic because I used a summon thingie for the first time and the dude that came in must have been a rapist because he was anihilating shit left and right, including the ghost lady boss at the end. Now Im out again, going to the other side of the structure after turning the bridge, and died to those lightning gargoyles (knocked me off a balcony, was trying to find secrets) and...im done man. Thats it, I cant take anymore tonight lol. fuck this game (in a good way).

Bumming me out that all the armor im finding, cool looking shit, is all so fucking heavy :(

One question, Server (the shitty life drain sword) says its a CURVED greatsword, so does that count for making queelag's sword? I upgraded it to +5 but dont want to waste higher mats on making it +10 if it wont work.

#98 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

@Rhaknar said:

One question, Server (the shitty life drain sword) says its a CURVED greatsword, so does that count for making queelag's sword? I upgraded it to +5 but dont want to waste higher mats on making it +10 if it wont work.

I don't think it counts. Here is a list of curved swords: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/curved-swords

#99 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

@StrainedEyes said:

@Rhaknar said:

I don't think it counts. Here is a list of curved swords: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/curved-swords

ugh, why call it curved in the item then :( I guess I need to farm a Falchion from skeletons or something, otherwise Im screwed, and Quee's sword is pretty as shit :o But then again its probably a DEX sword and I went deep into STR like I said earlier >_> sigh oh well, still like my Black Knight Sword :(

#100 Edited by TobbRobb (4646 posts) -

@Rhaknar: That is some impressive progress in this short amount of time! Most people seem to get too pissed in Sen's and take a break.

Speaking of short, I helped a friend out with his playthrough with just some general tips, and he beat it in 23h. I wonder if the 60-80h playthrough of my day is dead now, with all the information that is available. :/

Oh and if you really like the feel of the Black Knight sword, then you can probably stick with that all the way to the end. Otherwise the Bastard Sword, Claymore and Man Serpent swords are similar in type. The man serpent one scales really well with strength too, so your points into that are doing some good. But then again, so are they when using the black knight one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.