Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Need some help/advice on how to proceed in Dark Souls (spoilers)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#101  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: That is some impressive progress in this short amount of time! Most people seem to get too pissed in Sen's and take a break.

Speaking of short, I helped a friend out with his playthrough with just some general tips, and he beat it in 23h. I wonder if the 60-80h playthrough of my day is dead now, with all the information that is available. :/

Oh and if you really like the feel of the Black Knight sword, then you can probably stick with that all the way to the end. Otherwise the Bastard Sword, Claymore and Man Serpent swords are similar in type. The man serpent one scales really well with strength too, so your points into that are doing some good. But then again, so are they when using the black knight one.

Man Serpant sword :O If that was supposed to be from the snake dudes, it didnt drop >_> People hate Sen's place you say? Because of the swinging axes, rolling balls and whatnot I imagine?

I dont know how far from the end I am, nor how long this character has of gametime...Steam says 28hours but I fucked around alot with different characters until I settled. But yeah like you said, I doubt it will take me (or anyone) 60-80 hours these days :P

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By mosespippy

Personally I never had any trouble with Sen's so what everyone dislikes about it eludes me. I would say the end of Sen's Fortress is about the half way mark so you still have a ways to go.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#103  Edited By golguin

@Rhaknar said:

this game is EXAUSTING, dear god. So I did the place after the gate with snake guys and giant golem bosses...then got scooped up by gargoyle things and taken to Anor Londo, which looks all sorts of cool but man, couldnt find any bonfire in the snake guys castle, and took me a bit in Londo too. I like that it uses more usual rpg tropes like switches and traps and shit the last 2 zones Ive been in, but man... the way to get around in Anor Londo is kinda awesome but I would have never figured it out if it wasnt for people leaving those notes on the ground on top of the arch-things you need to walk on.

And then I went in a painting...fuck me. That was too stressfull because I was basically out of potions by the end of it, resorting to use humanity to heal (sigh) and cheesing the undead dragon there by shooting a MILLION ARROWS at him from inside where he couldnt reach me (not proud of it but hey, fuck you dark souls!), and finally opened the shortcut back to the bonfire with no flasks left and only 1 twin humanity left to heal lol. the end was a little anti climatic because I used a summon thingie for the first time and the dude that came in must have been a rapist because he was anihilating shit left and right, including the ghost lady boss at the end. Now Im out again, going to the other side of the structure after turning the bridge, and died to those lightning gargoyles (knocked me off a balcony, was trying to find secrets) and...im done man. Thats it, I cant take anymore tonight lol. fuck this game (in a good way).

Bumming me out that all the armor im finding, cool looking shit, is all so fucking heavy :(

One question, Server (the shitty life drain sword) says its a CURVED greatsword, so does that count for making queelag's sword? I upgraded it to +5 but dont want to waste higher mats on making it +10 if it wont work.

I'm actually surprised you got through Sen's Fortress and made it out of the Painted World so fast. I was actually stuck in the Painted World for days because you are literally trapped there until you beat the area by listening to Priscilla and simply leaving (YOU COULD CHOOSE TO NOT FIGHT HER) or you can fight her and kill her. That doll I mentioned earlier is the reason why you were able to enter the Painted World.

Once you beat Anor Londo you'll finally be able to access every part of the world. If you have the DLC that would also be the time to enter it. I would also advise you to check a wiki if you plan on using Boss Souls to create weapons since knowing what weapon to level up isn't obvious and you don't want to waste materials leveling up weapons.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By colorbrandon

@TobbRobb: 23h for the first playthrough seems pretty fast, did he run through the DLC at all?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#105  Edited By TobbRobb

@colorbrandon: No, he skipped DLC and painted world. Mostly because he didn't know how to get to either. I made him do them both in Ng+ though. ^^

Well, technically he hasn't beaten the DLC yet, but I can't blame him, NG+ DLC bosses are prooooooooobably the hardest ones.

I'm pretty sure he skipped Stray too, but not entirely sure.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By mosespippy

@TobbRobb: At 23 hours I bet he skipped Great Hollow and Ash Lake as well.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Rhaknar

@golguin said:

I'm actually surprised you got through Sen's Fortress and made it out of the Painted World so fast. I was actually stuck in the Painted World for days because you are literally trapped there until you beat the area by listening to Priscilla and simply leaving (YOU COULD CHOOSE TO NOT FIGHT HER) or you can fight her and kill her. That doll I mentioned earlier is the reason why you were able to enter the Painted World.

Once you beat Anor Londo you'll finally be able to access every part of the world. If you have the DLC that would also be the time to enter it. I would also advise you to check a wiki if you plan on using Boss Souls to create weapons since knowing what weapon to level up isn't obvious and you don't want to waste materials leveling up weapons.

Well its the PC version which has the DLC...integrated I think? I have no idea what is original or DLC tho so /shrug. And the doll was to enter the painting? oh shit, lucky I did the asylum before then. And yeah like I said in my rant earlier, I was freaking out in the painting because I knew I was stuck there (I died imediatly by falling and didnt go back to a bonfire, just restarted in the painting world) so I feel your pain. And if that ghost lady didnt want to die she shouldnt have been standing there targetable :p

Sen was fine, didnt fall once with the swinging axes or anything, got the feeling I missed some places in there because I wasnt expecting being kidnapped, but I dont really care much about that. I will bother you guys some more for info on where to go after Anor Lando lol :) Of the zones Ive been at sniffing around, Forrest, Old Lando with the ghosts, Hellish looking zone bellow Blighttown, are all of those story based eventually or is any optional?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: Those areas are all story based. Darkroot Garden is but Darkroot Basin isn't. It's important for the DLC though.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TobbRobb

@mosespippy: It took me 150h to stumble over Great Hollow. I doubt he found it by himself.

BTW, finding that deep goddamn hole after finishing the game two or three times was pretty mindblowing.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By strainedeyes

@Rhaknar said:

@StrainedEyes said:

@Rhaknar said:

One question, Server (the shitty life drain sword) says its a CURVED greatsword, so does that count for making queelag's sword? I upgraded it to +5 but dont want to waste higher mats on making it +10 if it wont work.

I don't think it counts. Here is a list of curved swords: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/curved-swords

ugh, why call it curved in the item then :( I guess I need to farm a Falchion from skeletons or something, otherwise Im screwed, and Quee's sword is pretty as shit :o But then again its probably a DEX sword and I went deep into STR like I said earlier >_> sigh oh well, still like my Black Knight Sword :(

You can buy a Scimitar from the merchant in Undeadburg, which you could upgrade for Queelag's.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: Dont worry you will have to go to those places ... eventually :P ..... but we dont want to say why because , you know , spoilers. Man you sure went through a lot today.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By colorbrandon

@TobbRobb said:

@mosespippy: It took me 150h to stumble over Great Hollow. I doubt he found it by himself.

BTW, finding that deep goddamn hole after finishing the game two or three times was pretty mindblowing.

Great Hollow has a bunch of goodies though. Chloranthy ring and a slab

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By gogosox82

@Rhaknar said:

this game is EXAUSTING, dear god. So I did the place after the gate with snake guys and giant golem bosses...then got scooped up by gargoyle things and taken to Anor Londo, which looks all sorts of cool but man, couldnt find any bonfire in the snake guys castle, and took me a bit in Londo too. I like that it uses more usual rpg tropes like switches and traps and shit the last 2 zones Ive been in, but man... the way to get around in Anor Londo is kinda awesome but I would have never figured it out if it wasnt for people leaving those notes on the ground on top of the arch-things you need to walk on.

And then I went in a painting...fuck me. That was too stressfull because I was basically out of potions by the end of it, resorting to use humanity to heal (sigh) and cheesing the undead dragon there by shooting a MILLION ARROWS at him from inside where he couldnt reach me (not proud of it but hey, fuck you dark souls!), and finally opened the shortcut back to the bonfire with no flasks left and only 1 twin humanity left to heal lol. the end was a little anti climatic because I used a summon thingie for the first time and the dude that came in must have been a rapist because he was anihilating shit left and right, including the ghost lady boss at the end. Now Im out again, going to the other side of the structure after turning the bridge, and died to those lightning gargoyles (knocked me off a balcony, was trying to find secrets) and...im done man. Thats it, I cant take anymore tonight lol. fuck this game (in a good way).

Bumming me out that all the armor im finding, cool looking shit, is all so fucking heavy :(

Your doing pretty good! Your about half way through not counting the dlc. If your looking for another weapon besides the black knight sword. You can use the claymore which you can pick up on the bridge where the red dragon is. It gets C scaling in str and dex so it should be pretty good for your build. Also man serpent's greatsword is pretty good as well. You'll have to farm the snake guys in sen's for it though. Unfortunately, you'll need curved sword like a falchion or scimitar. You can buy the scimitar from the merchant in the undead burg.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Rhaknar

thanks for the info on the weapons as usual guys, Sen's seem easy to farm since theres 2 right at the gate from the blacksmith, with the bonfire there...assuming I ever get out of damn Anor Londo! And when you say pick up on the red dragon bridge, you mean its on one of those glowy bodies? how the fuck do I get to them :(

oh yeah I keep forgeting to ask this, I remember I got (somewhere, its all a blur!) a key for a basement in undeadburg, and I remember thinking "I dont remember any basement in undeadburg". If my memory serves me right, undeadburg was the small zone right before the parish right?

edit: these Anor Londo snipers are killing me man (no pun intended), starting to get annoyed :/

edit 2: lol, theres a bunch of youtube videos on those specific 2 archers that are killing me, guess Im not the only one having problems with them :P

edit 3: yup, these snipers are the point in the game where I know I will never love it as much as some people. Its not breaking me in the sense I want to stop, but I cant excuse it for the god awful horrible design it is, I cant go "thats intended!" and praise it for it.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: The basement key is to the door down to Lower Undead Burg, with the Capra etc. you've used it.

Everyone dies to those archers, everyone gets pissed at those archers. Your best bet is probably to take off all clothes, run like a MADMAN up to the top, and then rush the right one. He will probably get one arrow off, dodge that and kill him. The other one cant shoot you in the back if you are right up in his face.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: The basement key is to the door down to Lower Undead Burg, with the Capra etc. you've used it.

Everyone dies to those archers, everyone gets pissed at those archers. Your best bet is probably to take off all clothes, run like a MADMAN up to the top, and then rush the right one. He will probably get one arrow off, dodge that and kill him. The other one cant shoot you in the back if you are right up in his face.

its weird because this key im talking about I got...recently? Like in Sen's place or something? Anyway, opened all the shortcuts in Londo, I see a big white light in the main cathedral (where the giant blacksmith is) which I assume is the boss, so I think im just going to farm souls for a bit and buy twilight thingies to upgrade my black knight sword to +5 for now, no reason not to. Beautiful zone, but Im about ready to get the fuck out of here and back to open world goodness tbh.

edit: holy shit dragonslayer greatbow looks awesome...cant use normal arrows booooooooo

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: The Dragonslayer Greatbow+Arrows are what the asshole archers use. I saw an invader play the role of "the third archer" making that passage nigh impossible. Also, have fun with that boss. It's tricky.

I can't think of any other keys with the word basement in them. Can't remember any other locked basements either for that matter.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: The Dragonslayer Greatbow+Arrows are what the asshole archers use. I saw an invader play the role of "the third archer" making that passage nigh impossible. Also, have fun with that boss. It's tricky.

I can't think of any other keys with the word basement in them. Can't remember any other locked basements either for that matter.

UGH this is the famous fatty+skinny boss... for fuck sake, isnt this supposed to be almost impossible solo? >_> didnt even touch either of them before dying :(

edit: yup this is boss sure is a ton of fun >_>

edit 2: yeeeeeeah... I think this might be the boss that breaks the game for me guys :/ its the gargoyles all over again, only 20 times worse. Might need a break from the game, because right now this just isnt fun anymore, for the first time besides the snipers for me (the gargoyles bordered on not being fun but I managed them before the breaking point), this one is just...draining me. I dunno...

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: It's not IMPOSSIBLE solo. I've done it a bunch of times with different builds, and from the sound of it, you are at or above my skill level at the time. It can be frustrating and will likely take a few tries, but you can probably pull it off.

And there is always summoning, makes it a whole lot easier.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: It's not IMPOSSIBLE solo. I've done it a bunch of times with different builds, and from the sound of it, you are at or above my skill level at the time. It can be frustrating and will likely take a few tries, but you can probably pull it off.

And there is always summoning, makes it a whole lot easier.

the only reason I'm not outright quitting the game right now is because of this thread, I'd feel like I failed you guys that have been helping me lol. Tried again, no chance, I have no idea what to do at all, my bloodstain at the boss must have like 100k souls by now lol :(

edit: just realised that its also not helping AT ALL that I cant go anywhere else, im stuck here until I kill the boss, before I could at least check out other zones and shit for a chance of pace >_<

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Smithers

If you go human before the boss you can summon Solaire to help you. Its awkward though - he's near the silver knight on the far stairs and you'll have to clear out the room first if you want him at full health for the boss. Plus that whole area is an invaders wet dream, so watch out for that. Solaire really helps though because you won't get double teamed. Other than that, its a really hard boss. You need to use the space in the room really well, and use the pillars to kite one of the bosses (probably Phats because he's slow and tends to get stuck more easily) so that you can engage the other more fairly. You just have to be patient and manage your stamina and health.

Also, you'll be happy to know that once you take one boss out, the other goes into super hyper mode and gets all his health back! The second stage is sometimes easier than the first though, because at least there's only one to worry about. They hit hard though. If you end up with Super Fatty you need to watch out for him rising butt-splash, which has a wide lightning AOE and needs a couple of quick rolls to evade.

bennyb357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By bennyb357

@Rhaknar: Hey dude, you CAN leave Anor Londo, you just need to go back to where you began, where the demons dropped you. If you need a change of scenery you could always go back to the graveyard and take a stab at the catacombs. Also, for first time players, I recommend summoning for the O&S fight, otherwise you might risk quitting the game, and there's a lot more to see.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Ravenlight

@Rhaknar said:

the only reason I'm not outright quitting the game right now is because of this thread, I'd feel like I failed you guys that have been helping me lol. Tried again, no chance, I have no idea what to do at all, my bloodstain at the boss must have like 100k souls by now lol :(

I had a ton of trouble with those guys, too. My advice would be to summon someone to help you. That fight is tons easier if they have multiple targets to focus on.

If you're dead-set on doing it solo, apparently you can isolate Ornstein (spear guy) by immediately running to either corner of the area then playing keep-away from Smough by keeping a pillar between him and you at all times.

Smough is weak to lightning (in both forms) and pretty easy to manage if you stay up in his face. Just remember to run away from his AOE butt-slam.

Ornstein is fairly easy all-around as long as Fatty isn't up in your grill at the same time.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Rhaknar

and I just lost my blood stain with about 100k in it because I couldnt even grab it before they killed me again, awesome. Ton of fun this is.

@bennyb357 said:

@Rhaknar: Hey dude, you CAN leave Anor Londo, you just need to go back to where you began, where the demons dropped you. If you need a change of scenery you could always go back to the graveyard and take a stab at the catacombs. Also, for first time players, I recommend summoning for the O&S fight, otherwise you might risk quitting the game, and there's a lot more to see.

didnt know that... not even sure I remember how to get back there to be honest, Im getting angrier and angrier I have to admit, which is a shame. I only have 1 twin humanity left, I bet I use it, get invaded and ganked before I can even summon for the boss (I was invaded on the roof by some dude that clearly had amazing gear, and played much better of course). I never do pvp in any game by the way, just dont like it, so this is like having to turn on /pvp in a mmo in order to summon a helper, ugh.

how exactly does summoning NPCs work, ive never done it, Ive summoned a couple of players.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#125  Edited By Nentisys

@Rhaknar said:

Don't worry about 100k souls, that isn't a setback.

Have you opened both shortcuts?

There is a door that you can open, so you can get to the O&S bossfight from the bonfire (that is past the two archers) and only kill 2 silver knights.

Second shortcut is opening the large double doors in the large lobby area (where the fog is to enter O & S fight). There is a crank you can use to open the large double doors, that lead outside. So you can start from the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire (which is reached by going to the bottom of the revolving staicase thingy) if you want.

O & S is definitely soloable even for inexperienced players. My first time playing through the game O & S was a stumbling block for me too. Now it is probably my favorite boss fight in the game and tremendously fun to solo.

Some tips: When you enter the boss room, move to either side, to the pillars. Dont stay in the middle. You will want to kill Ornstein first (golden knight dude with a spear). Easiest way to do this is wait for him to charge to you, dodge, hit him a few times and back off. Patience. Try to keep ornstein between you and Smough (the fatty with the hammer). Even better, keep a pillar between you and Smough.

If you still can't progress, I would recommend you go to the catacombs. You can leave anor londo by going to the large lobby where you can enter the boss fight. In the corner, there is a crank that will open the large double doors. You were there before. Now go outside, to the revolving staircase and go all the way up. Go straight to the elevator and then left all the way. Touch the ring of light and you will be transported back to Sen's Fortress.

EDIT: summoning NPCs works exactly like summoning players. You see a summon sign on the ground, you hit the button and confirm. Short while later he is there. Solaire's summon sign is in the large lobby area where you can enter the boss fight. Clear the room first, then go to the staircase, you should see his sign if you are human.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Rhaknar

@Nentisys said:

@Rhaknar said:

There is a door that you can open, so you can get to the O&S bossfight from the bonfire (that is past the two archers) and only kill 2 silver knights.

Second shortcut is opening the large double doors in the large lobby area (where the fog is to enter O & S fight). There is a crank you can use to open the large double doors, that lead outside. So you can start from the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire (which is reached by going to the bottom of the revolving staicase thingy) if you want.

O & S is definitely soloable even for inexperienced players. My first time playing through the game O & S was a stumbling block for me too. Now it is probably my favorite boss fight in the game and tremendously fun to solo.

Some tips: When you enter the boss room, move to either side, to the pillars. Dont stay in the middle. You will want to kill Ornstein first (golden knight dude with a spear). Easiest way to do this is wait for him to charge to you, dodge, hit him a few times and back off. Patience. Try to keep ornstein between you and Smough (the fatty with the hammer). Even better, keep a pillar between you and Smough.

If you still can't progress, I would recommend you go to the catacombs. You can leave anor londo by going to the large lobby where you can enter the boss fight. In the corner, there is a crank that will open the large double doors. You were there before. Now go outside, to the revolving staircase and go all the way up. Go straight to the elevator and then left all the way. Touch the ring of light and you will be transported back to Sen's Fortress.

ive died to the boss about 50 times dude, so I have all the shortcuts and shit open, i didnt just get to him now. Fuck that sounded snappy, Im sorry, just...Im honestly at the "why am I doing this" phase, which is a shame because Ive loved the game up to this, but this is horrible. And im sorry, this will never be fun like you say (for me that is). I understand people enjoy hard games and whatnot, but this isnt fun, this wouldnt be fun in a proper action game where attack animations dont take 2 seconds, or in a game with a proper camera, let alone in this. Like I said before, as much as I like the game, even love it, I will never be in that subset of people that worship it, because some of the things in it that make it artificially hard are awful (like the camera for example).

Of course I fully understand that you can take the "lol L2P noob" stance with everything I said, and you might be entirely right, but as someone that plays games on normal everytime, that doesnt give a fuck about achievements or replaying games, this is torture. I guess I should have expected it coming into the game, but in the previous 25 hours it was hard but fair (except those snipers, and the gargoyles at the start to a much smaller extent), this isnt fair in my opinion. I think Vinny said it best in a video or podcast or whatever it was, Dark Souls is awesome 1 on 1, but as soon as you fight multiple enemies, it falls apart, I completely agree. Fuck im angry / sad lol. again, I apologize for sounding ungrateful or something.

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Smithers

Also. if having to backtrack through hostile areas to get out of Anor Londo seems annoying, bear in mind that you get the ability to teleport between bonfires after this boss. Makes exploration and collecting souls and items much easier, and it means you won't tend to get stranded the way you are at this point.

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Smithers

@Rhaknar said:

@Nentisys said:

@Rhaknar said:

ive died to the boss about 50 times dude, so I have all the shortcuts and shit open, i didnt just get to him now. Fuck that sounded snappy, Im sorry, just...Im honestly at the "why am I doing this" phase, which is a shame because Ive loved the game up to this, but this is horrible. And im sorry, this will never be fun like you say (for me that is). I understand people enjoy hard games and whatnot, but this isnt fun, this wouldnt be fun in a proper action game where attack animations dont take 2 seconds, or in a game with a proper camera, let alone in this. Like I said before, as much as I like the game, even love it, I will never be in that subset of people that worship it, because some of the things in it that make it artificially hard are awful (like the camera for example).

Of course I fully understand that you can take the "lol L2P noob" stance with everything I said, and you might be entirely right, but as someone that plays games on normal everytime, that doesnt give a fuck about achievements or replaying games, this is torture. I guess I should have expected it coming into the game, but in the previous 25 hours it was hard but fair (except those snipers, and the gargoyles at the start to a much smaller extent), this isnt fair in my opinion. I think Vinny said it best in a video or podcast or whatever it was, Dark Souls is awesome 1 on 1, but as soon as you fight multiple enemies, it falls apart, I completely agree. Fuck im angry / sad lol. again, I apologize for sounding ungrateful or something.

That's totally fair, You don't need to apologise for not enjoying a videogame.

I think that the section you're at is the most disheartening bit because of how tough the boss is and how easy it is you get caught by the enemies on the way, and how there isn't much else you can do without backtracking through the entire game. But the game definately will open up after this fight with new stuff to do. My advice would be to give it 2 more attempts - do it once and just turtle as much as possible and pay attention to O&S. Work out how Smough works when he gets stuck around pillars and how you can reposition yourself to keep him at bay, and pay attention to Orn's attacks, how much stamina his standard attacks take off and when he finishes combos and leaves himself open. Don't worry too much about damaging them and if you die, just give it one more try with the knowledge you've gained and see if you can make it to the next stage of the fight.

And if its still frustrating you, just put the game down. Dark Souls is the kind of game that's worst to play when you're pissed off and not thinking straight. At a certain point you could probably just stop playing for a week, then come back and find you do much better.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Rhaknar

used my last humanity, tried it with Solaire... much easier, still died. Died stupidly too, well kinda, powered up lance dude (killed fatty) rushed me imediatly and I tried to heal because I was low from the Fatty. Just when I thought it couldnt be more disheartening LOL. Now I know the only way I can do it is with the summon...and I cant use it anymore :D havent seen any enemies that dropped humanities in this place either. Im genuily sad about this, so weird, I was loving the game so much until now, and you guys saying this is when it opens up is breaking my heart.

also Solaire is a beast, I could barely get aggro from any of the bosses from him, wtf >_>

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Nentisys

@Rhaknar said:

I agree that the camera is bad and makes it more challenging to fight multipled enemies at once but I don't understand when you say that Dark Souls is not a "proper action game". Only Bayonetta has a better combat system of any melee game I have played.

Like Smithers said, if you are frustrated just put the game down. If you want to continue, I suggest either a) trying O &A with patience. Just try to stay alive for as long as you can and only hit back when you are sure you won't be hit back. b) leaving Anor Londo, doing the catacombs to get the rite of kindling, farming some humanity in the sewers, maybe upgrading your weapon and heading back to Anor Londo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfefecd6246b
    deactivated-5bfefecd6246b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nentisys said:

This, all the way. It really makes the boss fight simple. I like to keep my lock-on on Ornstein while continually backing away with my shield up. Focus on staying away from Smough, preferably keeping something between you two. It is important to re-emphasize the necessity of patience with these tactics. They can't kill you as long as you don't do anything rash. Only take an opening you're certain about. These tactics will make the fight perhaps unbearably slow, but it is a sure method.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#132  Edited By TAFAE

If you need to farm humanities, the best things to kill that you also have easy access to are rats in the depths.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Seauton

@Rhaknar

You can always go buy humanity from the moss lady. I'm pretty sure she sells some.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Ares42

@Rhaknar said:

used my last humanity, tried it with Solaire... much easier, still died. Died stupidly too, well kinda, powered up lance dude (killed fatty) rushed me imediatly and I tried to heal because I was low from the Fatty. Just when I thought it couldnt be more disheartening LOL. Now I know the only way I can do it is with the summon...and I cant use it anymore :D havent seen any enemies that dropped humanities in this place either. Im genuily sad about this, so weird, I was loving the game so much until now, and you guys saying this is when it opens up is breaking my heart.

also Solaire is a beast, I could barely get aggro from any of the bosses from him, wtf >_>

You sound like me when I first played the game on PS3. That fight just broke me back then. Then I didn't play the game again for close to a year. But when I went back to it (at PC release), oh lord how sweet it was. I dunno if I really recommend this, but you might wanna think about just laying the game down for now. Then maybe in a few months time come back to it, start over fresh, use all the things you've learned to make a better character and then maybe, just maybe you'll find that real Dark Souls magic. If it's your first Souls game Anor Londo is really a great place to start over considering how much you've learned and how much of the game is left, but I can imagine that's the last thing you wanna do right now.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Rhaknar

@Ares42 said:

@Rhaknar said:

You sound like me when I first played the game on PS3. That fight just broke me back then. Then I didn't play the game again for close to a year. But when I went back to it (at PC release), oh lord how sweet it was. I dunno if I really recommend this, but you might wanna think about just laying the game down for now. Then maybe in a few months time come back to it, start over fresh, use all the things you've learned to make a better character and then maybe, just maybe you'll find that real Dark Souls magic. If it's your first Souls game Anor Londo is really a great place to start over considering how much you've learned and how much of the game is left, but I can imagine that's the last thing you wanna do right now.

that is not an option no matter how angry I am right now, because im loving the game, I want to be playing it right now lol :P

I think my best bet, since you guys say I can get the fuck out of here, is to go get some humanities now that all the shortcuts are open anyway, and come back and do it with Solaire.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By TobbRobb

If you are going to try and solo them more. There is really only one important thing to think of.

You have to pay attention to both of them, wait for a window where they both are recovering from an attack and go in to do some damage. If you only look for windows on Smough for example, chances are Ornstein is gonna jump you while hitting.

Keep your distance and look for windows where none of them can hit you, and poke once, then step back. This requires patience and time, but helps a lot.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By bearshamanbro

Just beat O & S on my second playthrough last month. I spent numerous hours trying to figure these guys out each time, probably 3 hours each time. Only thing I can say to keep you going is that they are by far the hardest thing I encountered in the game (haven't played the DLC yet). This is how I enventually beat them solo and melee.

- enter the room and start going to one side. Try to lock on to Smough. Then what you'll do is consistently back up around the room (basically do backwards laps around the room). Stay OUTSIDE the pillars. You need to consistently be aware of how many pillars you've passed so you can know when you need to turn (I think there are three on each side). You don't want to get stuck in the corners. If you keep moving backward and are staying mostly locked on, you won't be in too much danger. The main thing this does is make them predictable. Occasionally you may lose track of Ornstein and he will hit you with his flying move, but just start backing up again.

- Use the pillars as safety zones. Only time I drink from the flask is when I'm behind a pillar. Too risky to get caught in their dual attacks because you'll probably die anyways. Also pillars blocks those lightning attacks.

- Experiment with the lock-on and experiment with switching between the two as needed. Sometimes you'll need to reset your lock-on. After practicing a few times you should be able to circle around the room like this for 10-15 minutes if needed. If you get in a corner and mess up your movement, just undo the lock-on and run to pillar for safety and start the movement again.

- The reason I lock on to Smough is because I think his hammer is the most dangerous attack when they are both alive because of it's stun abilities.  Also, keep that shield down to  regenerate stamina when you think you're in safety. Avoiding block stun is 70% of the battle in this one.

- You may be wondering then how I ever did damage since I spend 95% of the time running from them. While I was backing up, I waited for Ornstein to fly in front on me and miss. Switch the lock-on to him and do either one R2 attack or two quick R1 attacks and then start retreating again. Conserve your stamina in case you need to block Smough. Don't get greedy. This is a long/defensive fight and you're just going to widdle him down. Don't bother doing any damage to Smough as it doesn't matter. 

This method would get me to the final form of Smough 8 times out of 10 once I got it down. The big Smough can be figured out and beat without too much difficulty, the main battle for me was just getting to the transformation with enough flasks to get him.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By bearshamanbro
    @Rhaknar: Also, I think fighting the big Smough is much easier than big Ornstein. Big Smough is slow, you can easily get in close and avoid many of his attacks if you circle him or go between his legs. He just has one blast radius move you got to watch out for if I remember right.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Rhaknar

the undead burg key I said I got by the way is called a Watchtower Basement Key

Man, is there no shortcut to the bottom of Sen's? I have to do all the trap shit again to go back to Londo >_<

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: The key you got in Sen´s Fortress is used inside of it * . You can still do stuff ...... you can farm souls and get more levels ;) so you can upgrade yourself againts O&S (I think painting world is o ggod place to do so... but thats just me tho). Moss lady near Firelink has humanities for sale. Dont give up duder :D you are doing great and it was just a matter of time before you kick their asses , and believe you me you will feel great an awesome for surprassing such a challenge :D

* Spoiler: If you want specifics you use it to A) open the cages that are directly below the fight against Iron Golem (Which will let you by pass most of Sen´s Fortress) . B) With this key you can rescue Big Hat Logan ... to get to him you need to change the direction of the rolling balls to the middle road ... follow it and see it go through a wall where a Snakeman is taking a nap. Inside there you will find Logan in a cage and just open it :). While at it I can tell you were the bonfire in Sen´s Fortress is .... remember were you find the big giant throwing you granades? on the first part there is a gap and if you look below it you will see a balcony ..... there is the bonfire.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Nentisys

@Rhaknar said:

Man, is there no shortcut to the bottom of Sen's? I have to do all the trap shit again to go back to Londo >_<

There is a shortcut in Sen's Fortress. Go to the merchant in Sen's, go down the stairs and get the key. Go to where you would enter the iron golem fight and open the cage. It is an elevator to the start of sens fortress.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Rhaknar

@Aetheldod said:

@Rhaknar: The key you got in Sen´s Fortress is used inside of it * . You can still do stuff ...... you can farm souls and get more levels ;) so you can upgrade yourself againts O&S (I think painting world is o ggod place to do so... but thats just me tho). Moss lady near Firelink has humanities for sale. Dont give up duder :D you are doing great and it was just a matter of time before you kick their asses , and believe you me you will feel great an awesome for surprassing such a challenge :D

* Spoiler: If you want specifics you use it to A) open the cages that are directly below the fight against Iron Golem (Which will let you by pass most of Sen´s Fortress) . B) With this key you can rescue Big Hat Logan ... to get to him you need to change the direction of the rolling balls to the middle road ... follow it and see it go through a wall where a Snakeman is taking a nap. Inside there you will find Logan in a cage and just open it :). While at it I can tell you were the bonfire in Sen´s Fortress is .... remember were you find the big giant throwing you granades? on the first part there is a gap and if you look below it you will see a balcony ..... there is the bonfire.

just got knocked off via the swinging axes (didnt happen first time I was here), eventually died to all the giant snake guys there and now im back in...Londo o/ lol not my day man :( And that cage key you mention, I just got that now passing Sen again (before dying), thats not the key I was talking about.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Rhaknar

@Nentisys said:

@Rhaknar said:

There is a shortcut in Sen's Fortress. Go to the merchant in Sen's, go down the stairs and get the key. Go to where you would enter the iron golem fight and open the cage. It is an elevator to the start of sens fortress.

thank you Ill do that :D fun fact, shortly before getting the cage key I found out you can jump in the game (which you need to do to get to the merchant), I had no idea until like 15 minutes ago, just randomly did it by accident

edit: oh, with the Sen shortcut and the Londo one, it will actually be quite fast to get back to the fucking boss when I want to. For now, back on the Parish, I feel better :P thanks for the tips on the shortcuts, and that I could actually leave Londo (I really thought I was stuck)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: My bad .... yeah that key is used in undeadburg. That key opens the door from undeadburg to darkroot basin , you use it in one of the cirular towers in undeadbur ..... dont recall which on specifically .... its either on one of the 2 towers on the red dragon bridge or the first circular tower before the Tauros Demon (the first boss fight)..... Just be careful ;)

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145  Edited By mikemcn

I'm in the same place, i played through the catacombs and killed all the necromancers, the stone demon, and the catacombs boss, but now i'm stuck. The depths seemed way more difficult at lv30.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Rhaknar

I just noticed theres a bonfire behind the gate right when you enter the parish area (from undearneath the dragon bridge), how do you open that (if its story related for later nevermind). fuck if I remember how to get around this place, I know the door to the lower burg was in the dragon bridge, surely theres another way to get to it, I think I remember it opening a shortcut... argh, Londo fucked with my head man :(

that dragon is still up there taunting me too.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: You get to it when you pass the red dragon :D (if you get past the red dragon). You could go down the elevators on undead parish without having to go down the bridge .... but is a long way. The wy you are looking is next to the gate you saw you can enter a tower insiide of it are the stairs that takes you below the bridge

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Rhaknar

@Aetheldod said:

@Rhaknar: You get to it when you pass the red dragon :D (if you get past the red dragon). You could go down the elevators on undead parish without having to go down the bridge .... but is a long way. The wy you are looking is next to the gate you saw you can enter a tower insiide of it are the stairs that takes you below the bridge

yeah I just remembered its the shortcut that takes you back to the bonfire...like I said, Londo fucked with my head. so Depths is a good place to farm humanities you guys say? guess Ill try that

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: Or buy them from the moss lady on the waterway ;D

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Rhaknar

@Aetheldod said:

@Rhaknar: Or buy them from the moss lady on the waterway ;D

yeah just bought 1, 5k a pop is steep for the amount of souls you get in the area :( I guess I should use all those fucking souls Ive been collecting tho. I wanna go with a lot of humanities back to Londo :P

some of you guys must have played this game a lot to know all this shit by heart, its massive

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.