Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Need some help/advice on how to proceed in Dark Souls (spoilers)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#251  Edited By mosespippy

Hellkite Wyvern is the Red Dragon from Undead Burg. You shouldn't have any trouble with the hydra if you have managed to defeat 4 Kings.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#252  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: Hellkite is the bridge dragon, he's not worth killing really. Really, the only optional content you have left is the DLC, "which is the most fun and hardest you can do atm", greathollow/ashlake and the basin Hydra.

The hydra is really easy and should only take a few seconds for you. Read a faq on how to find "but not finish" the other two. They are kind of obscure.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#253  Edited By Rhaknar

whoa holy shit... hmm, let me guess, you are SUPPOSED to die to Seath correct? I assume so because A) I have no idea what I could have done but more importantly B) it dropped me in a new zone inside a jail, which never happened before when you die (nice touch with killing the guard hanging there by the door for the key, I didnt notice him at first)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By mosespippy

Yeah, you are supposed to die against Seath. There is a baller way to avoid it though. The part in the jail really fucked me up since my standard attack would clip on the bars and not hit the guard so I didn't know you could kill him.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Rhaknar

Londo again! Dude is like the fucking kid from Nagrad in wow, keeps getting arrested

also, I love these snake guys... they remind me of a he-man badguy who looked almost the same with the long neck... man, im fucking OLD when my references are he-man toys / characters :(

edit: by the way is there new gear in NG+? I never do that type of thing, but I might with this game (the only other I did was Borderlands...and Diablo 3 I guess >_>)

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#256  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Rhaknar said:

Londo again! Dude is like the fucking kid from Nagrad in wow, keeps getting arrested

also, I love these snake guys... they remind me of a he-man badguy who looked almost the same with the long neck... man, im fucking OLD when my references are he-man toys / characters :(

edit: by the way is there new gear in NG+? I never do that type of thing, but I might with this game (the only other I did was Borderlands...and Diablo 3 I guess >_>)

just the things you get to craft from the end boss soul

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: Nothing new in NG+ at all. Except that you will be brokenly overpowered for half the game and then O&S turn out to be impossible.

I'm only slightly exaggerating.

The main reason to do NG+ is for the challenge, and sometimes to get duplicates of unique items. Some unique spells or whatever. It's also good to reset covenants and gain levels for PvP reasons.

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NG+ is usually where the Gravelord Servants black phantoms kick in, people who are in the Gravelord Covenant can cause very tough enemies to appear in other players' world and they only disappear if you or someone else who's connected to that Gravelord can find their sign and invade their world. It shows a message, "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant".

Don't forget to do the DLC it has the best boss battles, and go around and kindle the important Bonfires to 20 if you have humanity to spare, easy way to get humanity is in the last part of the DLC, you can get 20-30+ in 20 minutes if you're fast enough.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By Rhaknar

finally killed a invader >_> my heart was racing lol. I dont know if it was lag or haxx or whatever but he was backstabbing me from the fucking SIDE. hell one of the times he was like 2-3 feet from me. Still hate this system, but Im not a pvp guy in general so /meh@Fire_Of_The_Wind said:

NG+ is usually where the Gravelord Servants black phantoms kick in, people who are in the Gravelord Covenant can cause very tough enemies to appear in other players' world and they only disappear if you or someone else who's connected to that Gravelord can find their sign and invade their world. It shows a message, "Disasters are gone after the defeat of the Gravelord Servant".

Don't forget to do the DLC it has the best boss battles, and go around and kindle the important Bonfires to 20 if you have humanity to spare, easy way to get humanity is in the last part of the DLC, you can get 20-30+ in 20 minutes if you're fast enough.

ive seen that message once, I had no idea what it was. But im not in NG+ >_>

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Smithers

Yeah, the DLC is the main thing to take care of after Seath. Have you beaten the boss in the Darkmoon tomb? I think you need to be able to join the Darkmoon Covenant to access the boss, and for that you need the Darkmoon ring which is hidden in the Catacombs. Have you done the Painted World, accessed through the portrait in the Anor Londo Cathedral?

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Rhaknar

@Smithers said:

Yeah, the DLC is the main thing to take care of after Seath. Have you beaten the boss in the Darkmoon tomb? I think you need to be able to join the Darkmoon Covenant to access the boss, and for that you need the Darkmoon ring which is hidden in the Catacombs. Have you done the Painted World, accessed through the portrait in the Anor Londo Cathedral?

yes to painting, not sure to darkmoon tomb :( And this crystal cave place is confusing

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#262  Edited By Dark

My upgrade path from the Black Knight sword was the Black Knight Greataxe. The Greataxe has slightly quicker timing with larger reach, higher DPS but a higher str requirement. I still use the Greataxe and I finished playing at NG+++

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Rhaknar

@Dark said:

My upgrade path from the Black Knight sword was the Black Knight Greataxe. The Greataxe has slightly quicker timing with larger reach, higher DPS but a higher str requirement. I still use the Greataxe and I finished playing at NG+++

Ive never seen the greataxe drop unfortunately, only greatsword (which I use), ultra greatsword, halberd :(

edit: invisible bridges... really dark souls? really? fuck you :(

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: Crystal Cave is easier to navigate if you use prism stones everywhere. They cost 10 souls so I always have 99 on me. The Darkmoon Tomb boss is in Anor Londo. It's in a long (actually infinite) hallway and the boss keeps doing ranged attacks. Personally I've only done that boss enough to get the soul based weapons for the trophy. I wouldn't do it again since I like being in that PVP covenant.

As for NG+, there are only the items that you get from the final boss' Soul and his armour which you can get from the weird merchant guy. The DLC stuff is slightly different depending on if Sif is alive or dead when you do it so you might want to try that.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: If you look closely you can see crystal flakes break on the invisible bridges. Also I wouldn't really fault you for looking up a guide on where to go, the trial and error there is more frustrating than anything.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: If you look closely you can see crystal flakes break on the invisible bridges. Also I wouldn't really fault you for looking up a guide on where to go, the trial and error there is more frustrating than anything.

ugh died on seath (with like 10% left, I tried to stupidly kill him before I died) and you respawn all the way back outside the cave. kill me now :(

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: Crystal Cave is easier to navigate if you use prism stones everywhere. They cost 10 souls so I always have 99 on me. The Darkmoon Tomb boss is in Anor Londo. It's in a long (actually infinite) hallway and the boss keeps doing ranged attacks. Personally I've only done that boss enough to get the soul based weapons for the trophy. I wouldn't do it again since I like being in that PVP covenant.

As for NG+, there are only the items that you get from the final boss' Soul and his armour which you can get from the weird merchant guy. The DLC stuff is slightly different depending on if Sif is alive or dead when you do it so you might want to try that.

I killed Sif (and made a shield with his soul). I think Ill do Hydra and DLC stuff and then finish it, Im still into it but its starting to get to "that point" if you know what I mean

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By mosespippy

Oh, I forgot to mention, there are two endings.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Rhaknar

Seathe down :)

I forgot to ask, Ive gotten a bunch of embers now that neither the parish nor the giant blacksmith seem to want, is there a third?

edit: also someone mentioned darkmoon tomb earlier, I can warp there so it must mean ive been there. Wasnt it the catacombs that lead to tomb of the giants eventually?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: Catacombs leads to the tomb of the giants and it's also where the third blacksmith is!

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: Catacombs leads to the tomb of the giants and it's also where the third blacksmith is!

how the fuck did I miss the blacksmith then? >_>

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Smithers

There catacombs blacksmith is hidden away. Basically there's a part of the interior Catacombs with a spiral staircase with some skeletons on it. If you follow the staircase down the bottom its a dead end, but if you look you'll see that you can actually drop onto a lower platform, and keeping dropping to reach the blacksmith. He does fire/chaos stuff for you. Also, since you may have missed it, the other blacksmith is at the entrance to the New Londo area (the "safe" bit, before you actually enter the ghosty area. He's down some stairs hiding behind bars, He does magic for you.

And yeah, to clarify, there's a darkmoon ring hidden in a coffin in the catacombs. Take that to the darkmoon tomb in Anor Londo and you'll get access to the covenant itself, but you can also just cross the boss fog gate and fight the head of the covenant, if you want to.

kobr24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By kobr24

@Rhaknar:

There is a hidden blacksmith in the catacombs and another blacksmith in the new londo ruins. They upgrade weapons to fire, chaos and magic.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Rhaknar

I met the new londo one actually, forgot him. Just killed the hydra, very easy when I got up close (basically 1 shot the heads). At least she dropped a dragon scale, for my eventual Dragon King Greataxe (fuck you guys let me use it! lol)

whats a good place to farm souls? I wanna farm these last few STR lvls to use this damn axe :)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: Silver Knights in Anor Londo, Small Skeletons outside of Nito or the NPC party in the forest.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: Silver Knights in Anor Londo, Small Skeletons outside of Nito or the NPC party in the forest.

yeah i thought about those silver knights in londo, I can 2 shot them now I believe. I cant do the forrest one anymore because I joined the covenent. Speaking of, what is the ring that the cat gave me for?

Also, this review for the DLC makes it sound like its a seperate thing from the main game (in the past even), and it doesnt mention great hollow / ashlake at all. Im confused (Im not doubting you guys btw heh)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By TobbRobb

@Rhaknar: Great Hollow has nothing to do with the DLC, it's just a bit out of the way. And yeah the DLC is fairly self contained.

If you equip the catring she summons you to PvP in the forest, it can happen whereever. Except maybe while fighting bosses.

Silver Knights are my favorite spot, they are way too much fun to parry. Gotten pretty good at it by now too. ^^

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Rhaknar

@TobbRobb said:

@Rhaknar: Great Hollow has nothing to do with the DLC, it's just a bit out of the way. And yeah the DLC is fairly self contained.

If you equip the catring she summons you to PvP in the forest, it can happen whereever. Except maybe while fighting bosses.

Silver Knights are my favorite spot, they are way too much fun to parry. Gotten pretty good at it by now too. ^^

you know I dont think we're talking about the same mobs. You mean the lean ones (that you can use their armor), I mean the 6 giant dudes (3 on each side) right outside the bonfire (1500 each)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By mosespippy

I farm souls in the forrest PVP. I just put down my white soapstone sign and dudes summon me to help fight against red and blue phantoms. I get maybe 300000 souls in a couple hours. I don't need to be human to have my sign down and I don't lose my souls/humanity upon death. The only down side is that I have to sit around in the forrest and wait to get summoned.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#279  Edited By golguin

You should have picked up the Broken Pendent from a crystal golem at the starting area of The Duke's Archives. Now that the hydra is dead in darkroot basin you can carefully walk around the pool it was in and continue along the water's edge till you reach a cave with a golden golem. Kill that golem and talk to the girl that comes out. You are then ready to enter the DLC area, but you'll be really over leveled for that area.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#280  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar:To het to the DLC you need to : Were you fought against the hydra you can keep going till the end of the lake (past the waterfall satirs) and you will find a orange crystal golem , once defeated a npc appears , talk to her , then go to the dukes archives and on the entrance (before you enter the first big hall) there is another crystal golem defeat him and he will drop a pendant ... then go back again to the cave t the lake and you will see a swirling black hole , aproach it and voila yoou are at the dlc content :D

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Rhaknar

I thought I would drown and die in the hydra pool, it looks deeper after the beach where I fought her

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: Yeah there is a hole there but you can travel through the shore/shallow area of the lake (you can see the floor through the water)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Rhaknar

finished my soul farming, dragon king axe hits for shit (lol) compared to my black knight sword, time to move on I guess, at least the STR is good for the sword too

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Canteu

@Rhaknar: That's because dragon weapons do not scale with any stat. So don't use them.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Rhaknar

weird, I killed this golem in dukes archive the first time but he didnt drop anything, guess I had to kill the lake one first. Such a weird game, even acessing the DLC is convuluted lol :)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Aetheldod

@Rhaknar: Thats the beauty of the game :P ... it makes it all magial and special *rainbows and magic pink bunnies all around* *^__^*

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well there's a story reason as to why you have to save Dusk before being able to get into the DLC, the first NPC you meet there recognises you as Dusk's saviour which means that you save Dusk, she goes back to her time and then you go back in time. It is a convoluted way to get to the DLC but it actually makes sense.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By colorbrandon

@Fire_Of_The_Wind said:

Well there's a story reason as to why you have to save Dusk before being able to get into the DLC, the first NPC you meet there recognises you as Dusk's saviour which means that you save Dusk, she goes back to her time and then you go back in time. It is a convoluted way to get to the DLC but it actually makes sense.

It's because, *ahem* the DLC should have been included in the game! Just kidding. But actually though, the DLC meshes so well with the vanilla game, especially on the PC version.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By TobbRobb

@colorbrandon: They said that straight out and apologised. Oolacile was supposed to be part of the game, but they ran out of time. So they cut the unfinished area and meshed together the piece of shit known as Izalith from scraps.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Rhaknar

on the home stretch, Im not sure what to do. I kind of want to do great hollow / ash lake, just for completion sake, but the area sounds like such a horrible pain (well, great hollow at least), platforming is NOT where Dark Souls excels afterall, and it doesnt even sound like theres any worthwhile loot or even bosses there (besides the hydra).

Kinda feel like just doing the DLC and then finishing the game to be honest

edit: also, you kill the undead burg vendor to loot the uchigatana (or whatever its called) right? Not that ill particulary use it since its a dex sword, mostly for future reference. and for lolsies sake before I finish the game I guess :P

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: You can just buy the Uchigatana from Shiva of the East (if you're still in the Forrest Covenant).

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: You can just buy the Uchigatana from Shiva of the East (if you're still in the Forrest Covenant).

I am. hes in Blighttown now you guys said?

also, I tried to fight the red dragon, but I couldnt hit him for the life of me, he just keeps breathing fire on me even when I got him to land, so I made a run for the end of the bridge just to know what was there...and theres nothing >_> a bonfire and a shortcut to the burg, whooepy do. and now the dragon flew off lol. oh well

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: You can join a co-op based covenant over there. It's by the fallen down statue. It provides some spells and in NG+ you can use the Soul from the final boss there to get a weapon buff that is one of the two best in the game.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: You can join a co-op based covenant over there. It's by the fallen down statue. It provides some spells and in NG+ you can use the Soul from the final boss there to get a weapon buff that is one of the two best in the game.

nothing there by the statue for me dude :/

also, can I hand in the last 2 souls and still continue playing, or is that last zone a point of no return? aparently theres respawning black knights there, one that drops the greataxe I wanted to try (although acording to the wiki its quite nerfed in pc version).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By mosespippy

The only point of no return is once the final boss is dead. I think Faith needs to be a certain level to join the covenant. It might even be lowered the more times you successfully defeat a boss as a white phantom.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By EdgeKasey

@mordukai said:

The more I play the game the more I feel like Dark Souls strengths are also it's weaknesses. While the big expansive area that intertwine and are interconnected are a really cool change, it also takes away a lot of the uniqueness that was the different hub worlds of Demon's. The different variety of enemies are probably a nice add on though.

I am not gonna get into much details here but I feel Dark Souls took as many steps backwards as it did forwards with it's predecessor. It's not a bad game and I am having a good time with it now that I accepted that the online features won't be as good as Demon's, but as a whole Dark Souls feels more like an iteration of Demon's Souls then an actual evolution of it.

I feel differently, the first time i was exploring the forest and discovering how everything was interconnected, i was going through so slowly cuz i felt so weak and vulnerable.......maaan, that tension and atmosphere that was created from that experience....that ranks up there with my most cherished video game memory!

I think it all depends on what game captures you first i guess? I rented Demon Souls when it came out, really liked it but didn't have the time available to fully give it a proper go. Then Dark Souls came out, it sucked me right in. I've since gone back and finished Demon Souls, but to me Dark Souls is my first love. :)

But I get where you are coming from. :)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By Rhaknar

fuck I love the black knight armor...no surprise since the silver knight armor was my favorite so far.

that actually leads me to a question Ive been wanting to ask, is armor THAT important in the game? It seems to me you can kinda use whatever you want and still do fine. I walked around for a bit with full black robe thing, whatever its called, and the dmg I took wasnt THAT different from with a couple of pieces of havel which I usually use.

Kinda feel like just upgrading black knight armor and run with it (also gives me something to do, getting souls to buy mats to upgrade the armor heh).

edit: this greataxe refuses to drop, got like 3 swords, 3 greatswords, 4 shields, 2 halberds...no axe >_>

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By cmblasko

@Rhaknar said:

fuck I love the black knight armor...no surprise since the silver knight armor was my favorite so far.

that actually leads me to a question Ive been wanting to ask, is armor THAT important in the game? It seems to me you can kinda use whatever you want and still do fine. I walked around for a bit with full black robe thing, whatever its called, and the dmg I took wasnt THAT different from with a couple of pieces of havel which I usually use.

Kinda feel like just upgrading black knight armor and run with it (also gives me something to do, getting souls to buy mats to upgrade the armor heh).

Well, the Poise that armor provides is pretty important, especially for PvP; however, you're right, you can generally dress yourself with anything and do fine.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#299  Edited By golguin

@Rhaknar said:

edit: this greataxe refuses to drop, got like 3 swords, 3 greatswords, 4 shields, 2 halberds...no axe >_>

Armor matters mostly for PVP and for specific boss fights. Sometimes you want to stack armor pieces that increase your fire resistance, poison resistance, curse resistance, poise, or whatever. Weight is VERY important for PVP so sometimes you'll see people waring specific pieces of armor because they are trying to stay below a certain weight threshold and it offers just enough poise to get where they need to go. My SL 48 character has a poise of 56, but it looks like she couldn't take a hit. You remember the skirts dropped by the beginning undead guys at the church that don't really cover any of your lower body? It's one of the best low weight poise pieces of equipment in the game and I wear it. A long time ago people used to wear Oolacile's dress before it was nerfed.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By Rhaknar

well I dont give 2 fucks about pvp, mostly looks :P if it doesnt gimp me for pve I love it :P

Also, turns out the sword I see everyone using when im fucking invaded wasnt a uchigatana, it was the washing pole, because its HUUUUUUUUUUGE.

I have to admit...I just bought one, and its badass. not to be a "sheep", but yeah...might have to upgrade it and give it a whirl lol. it helps that it has bonuses for both STR and DEX, so at least my tons of STR wont be wasted. Also got a demon greataxe from Shiva too. Gave up on the black knight greataxe, refused to drop and I was bored.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.