NEVER ever Ragequit. Dont just don't.

• 74 results
#1 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

I had my worst ragenight yesterday in Dark Souls, being the Arrogant prick that i am i thought i can just run through the game without having to care in my 2nd run on the char i wanted to build. 50 lvls later a bit forest covenant grinding, It went well until Anor Londo till I failed at the Dark Knight Archers 3 times with great White phantoms at my side since i usually struggle at that part of the level for whatever reason. My Rage Level was at 200 at that point since i failed 3 times with 2 other people in my lvl, thus failing them as well in the process (somehow that makes me even more angry). All a matter of my own arrogance in taking the mobs for granted and just slip through.

After i lost another 30k Souls later on my Rage Level exploded. Pressed the Xbox Button and Shut down the console immediately for the first time in my 80 Hours i invested so far int he game.

Outcome: The Save got corrupted, my Char (my 2nd char) is gone now since i gave into the childish emotions while the game obviously tried to save. The Game can crash and that will eventually corrupt your saves anyway if you're unlucky, but never push your luck by Ragequitting that way yourself. Dont be an idiot like me. Kill a kitten, or slap your girlfriend but never touch that Powerbutton.

#2 Posted by Crash_Happy (715 posts) -

I think rage quiting is a far better idea than your proposed alternatives. Idiot.

#3 Posted by MB (12481 posts) -

Stories like this make me wonder if From built in some kind of save game corruption routine into the game when people quit without saving properly, just as a final "Fuck you" to frustrated gamers.

#4 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: I think you fail to see frustrated jokes.

#5 Posted by Crash_Happy (715 posts) -

@Lancezh: I know you fail at jokes. Smacking your girlfriend around is apparently funny to you.

#6 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Or at least the thought of it in a very specific context.

I laughed.

#7 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: Dude chill out, he aint really smacking about his girlfriend (at least I hope he isn't.) He was just using extreme situations for effect as dark humour.

A part of me hopes that From Software knew that if someone turned the power off it would corrupt a save but it sucks that you lost all your progress man.

#8 Posted by Crash_Happy (715 posts) -

@SamStrife: Spend maybe as long as two whole seconds thinking about it and you can see that there's this huge sea of possible jokes to make about the frustration a game can cause. He chose to make light of beating up his girlfriend. I'm not arguing about it, either people can see it was a stupid choice to make or for some bizarre reason they choose to believe it's ok since he probably isn't really beating then up. lol! That's funny! etc.

#9 Posted by Savage (328 posts) -

FROMSOFTWARE: 1, human nature: 0.

#10 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: Your posts bored me so much I might just have to go slap my girlfriend to liven up my day.

#11 Edited by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: I'm not saying it's the funniest joke on the world but give the guy a break man, professional comedians have been saying worse for decades and I bet you don't write angry letters to all them when they make a sick joke.

#12 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

This thread is about as sexist and controversial as Arkham City.

Sucks to be you man, I eventually cheesed one of the archers to fall from the ledge and never bothered with the other one.

#13 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (436 posts) -

@Savage said:

FROMSOFTWARE: 1, human nature: 0.

#14 Edited by caska (124 posts) -

@Crash_Happy dude calm down, it's just humour. Mix a bit of irony and hyperbole and what comes out the other end? It could be satire or even some dark humour as this is, but yea you just need to see the bright side o' things, especially if you're in the Dark Souls section too.... @Lancezh That absolutely sucks man! I always turn the ps3 off all the time through the controller, even when I'm not rage quitting. Now I know why they always have that "recommend you quit the game before powering off" ( or something along those lines) notice whenever I get back in.... So yea my guess is From know about but only advise you after it could have happened. Unless of course it's in the manual but who reads a manual these days?

#15 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

So what is this? Giant Bomb support group for abused victims of Dark Souls?

Let's hug this out man

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21751 posts) -

Duly noted. It's a weird habit to brake out of since in Demon's Souls you could totally just turn the power off mid-gameplay and find nothing amiss when you turned it back on. Least I never had any issues anywhoo.

#17 Posted by themangalist (1737 posts) -

I quit Rage, it wasn't particularly a good game.

#18 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

Snoop Doggy Dogg approves

...of not ragequitting.

#19 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Yea I've done that a few times to prevent myself from getting cursed in the depths. No more!

#20 Posted by Maajin (1068 posts) -

@oatz said:

@Crash_Happy: Your posts bored me so much I might just have to go slap my girlfriend to liven up my day.

Just slapped mine with my bag of freshly killed kittens.

#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Hey man, I can't condone killing kittens or slapping girlfriends. Not cool, bro.

#22 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

@Maajin said:

@oatz said:

Just slapped mine with my bag of freshly killed kittens.

Shit man, you're a visionary.

#23 Posted by Shirogane (3578 posts) -

@tekmojo said:

Yea I've done that a few times to prevent myself from getting cursed in the depths. No more!

I could just sell ya all my curse removal items? I have tonnes of them, damn clams wouldn't drop what i actually wanted.

let's say....2.9k souls each? sound far? It's less than the NPC will sell them for =D

#24 Posted by fullmetal5550 (345 posts) -

@Crash_Happy said:

@Lancezh: I know you fail at jokes. Smacking your girlfriend around is apparently funny to you.

There is no need to make a mountain out of a molehill.

#25 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@MB said:

Stories like this make me wonder if From built in some kind of save game corruption routine into the game when people quit without saving properly, just as a final "Fuck you" to frustrated gamers.

Haha, that would be harsh.

#26 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

@Shirogane said:

@tekmojo said:

I could just sell ya all my curse removal items? I have tonnes of them, damn clams wouldn't drop what i actually wanted.

let's say....2.9k souls each? sound far? It's less than the NPC will sell them for =D

lol..I will be ok, I hope :\

#27 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: You really ought to remove the stick in your ass mate. Maybe you grew up in a better society than me, whatever. I have kittens and a girlfriend at home. Never hit any of them. That you infest the topic with your failure to understand humour and me having to respond to that should give you a big minus on your karmaaccount.

#28 Edited by Jonnyflash80 (500 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@Crash_Happy: Dude chill out, he aint really smacking about his girlfriend (at least I hope he isn't.) He was just using extreme situations for effect as dark humour.

A part of me hopes that From Software knew that if someone turned the power off it would corrupt a save but it sucks that you lost all your progress man.

Of course From Software is aware of it. There is a warning every time you start the game saying not to turn off the console while the save icon is displayed on the screen. The same corruption would happen to any game on pretty much any platform if you power off while it's writing the save file. It's even riskier to turn off the power with Dark Souls since it autosaves after you do pretty much anything in the game ie. killing an enemy, picking up loot, walking to a new area, dying, etc.

Lancezh, you should have just thrown the controller across the room like everyone else does. :p

#29 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

Ha! I thought about that mate, but thought, no chill, just turn off the console, be reasonable :P And in the process fucked it up haha

#30 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

@MB said:

wouldn't surprise me, just twist that knife a little further

#31 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

@Crash_Happy: oh so slapping a woman is somehow offensive , yet you say nothing about killing kittens :O

#32 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I've done that lots and my save is a-ok.

#33 Edited by Chaser324 (6585 posts) -
Has Mr. Resetti taught you nothing? Don't fucking reset!
#34 Posted by SpawnMan (748 posts) -

@oatz: I just made my kitten my girlfriend (wink wink if ya know what I mean!) then slapped it to death. Two birds, one stone. No seriously, I was so pumped up on kitty-gf killing that I crushed two birds with a stone and posted the video on that Crush website. Then just to prove how worthless they all were, I just pressed the power button on my xbox. Now THAT'S vision! :D

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (8123 posts) -

I think this is most likely due to the fatc that it was actively saving at the time of shutdown.
Personally I have hit the power mny times during my playthrough with no consequqnces, but I always did it when there was no save icon on screen.

Same principle as a USB. Yank it out as much as you want as long as it is not actively reading/writing files.

#36 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -
@Crash_Happy

I think rage quiting is a far better idea than your proposed alternatives. Idiot.

Jesus Christ I hate people.
#37 Posted by Nux (2364 posts) -

Looks like Dark Souls won.

#38 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

Funny, I quit Rage in order to play DS.

#39 Posted by Nadril (530 posts) -
@envane said:

@Crash_Happy: oh so slapping a woman is somehow offensive , yet you say nothing about killing kittens :O

He's just a kitten hater. 
#40 Posted by Chop (1999 posts) -

I know I shouldn't do it, but it's like a reflex for me after Demon's Souls. In that game, if you pushed the home button and quit out of the game as you died, you could load back in to moments before you died. Now anytime I die in Dark Souls, I mash that home button without even thinkin'.

#41 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Chop: I hate it when a sequel leaves out an obscure glitch.

#42 Posted by altairre (1196 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

Funny, I quit Rage in order to play DS.

I see what you did there...

#43 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

@oatz said:

Lol'd....

OT: I have yet to dashboard, or just turn off my power. I usually just quit out of course I'v had some rage ever since I rung the second bell, however I usually bunch my legs lol because they are close.

#44 Posted by sdharrison (476 posts) -

Haha good lord who the hell is this Crash_Happy dude? LOL

Now THAT seems like a fun guy to hang with! Christ homie, get a life.

#45 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

They should really save a backup auto safe every once in a while as a fail safe for these kinds of situations. Especially a game that autosaves so much. I always just turn my console of when I am done playing for the night and it's a scary thing to do in DS.

#46 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

@Crash_Happy said:

You need to calm down. It was pretty funny. Because its not true.

#47 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

@MB said:

That would be amazing. Mother fuckers. I love it.

#48 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

@Crash_Happy said:

Stop being an uptight prick.

#49 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Well I think it was FromSofts way of saying F you since in demon's if you quit the game before the the words "Your dead" dissapeared you would be right where you just were with all your souls and still be human :D So this is probably their way of just making that little glitch not work anymore.

#50 Posted by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Every time I rage quit, I secretly hope my save gets corrupted. If I lose my character, I will be set free. I can just put this game on the shelf and move on with my life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.