Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

New info from Famitsu

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By recroulette

Source here  (via andriasang)
        The game will have magic which can change you into "objects." When other players come attacking, you'll want to change into object form to hide. 

The game will not have voice chat or free chatting, as these features would be minuses as they can potentially take you away from feeling like you're in the story.  

You'll find that the various weapons have very precise differences in motion. If you get a powerful weapon, the motion will be different from your current weapon, which could take some getting used to. Because of this, they expect that some players will continue to use the weaker weapons that they've gotten used to, and so they're adjusting the game balance so that these players will be able to clear the game.

Changing into an object sounds like an interesting idea, especially if you team up with a couple blue phantoms. 
    Although people will hate it, I'm glad the messaging system is the same, the preset messages really added to the world 
    The last one is also interesting, assuming it means the same type of weapons (2 short swords) would have different motions. 
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperWristBands

I'm taking a gamble on which I post in. Hopefully this is the one that stays!

Sounds great. I liked the message/communication system in the first one, though it did seem pretty anti-social. When you finished a game with people it just dumped them back to their world, right? No way to just hang out?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

No voice chat?  The Xbox version better support Party Chat or something is fucked up here.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By kingzetta
    @JJOR64 said:
    " No voice chat?  The Xbox version better support Party Chat or something is fucked up here. "
    Well it's not that kind of game. I agree with them in voice chat would be bad.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MiniPato
    Voice chat isn't too big a deal for me. I'm just glad we can invite friends into our world now. It was really frustrating trying to meet up with people. I know it was a design decision to force you to play with random players, or dead knights or something, but it's annoying when you need help on a boss or level and there are no soul signs around.

Also turning into objects sounds awesome! Finally I can hide from those blasted red phantoms!
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

Well, at least at looks like it might be easier? I mean if you can beat it with low level weapons.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By august
    @RecSpec said:

" Source here  (via andriasang)
        The game will have magic which can change you into "objects." When other players come attacking, you'll want to change into object form to hide.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MiniPato
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " Well, at least at looks like it might be easier? I mean if you can beat it with low level weapons. "
    Eh, I went through a good 70% of Demon's Souls with just a normal long sword. Until I came across that sword that does more damage based on your white world tendency.
    Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Nate
    @kingzetta said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " No voice chat?  The Xbox version better support Party Chat or something is fucked up here. "
    Well it's not that kind of game. I agree with them in voice chat would be bad. "
    Totally agree! These games aren't meant to be buddy buddy adventures. It almost adds to the excitement and mystery that there's no voice chat. For example, being invaded by a black phantom in Demon's Souls wouldn't be nearly as terrifying if I had some fool on the other end talking shit. 
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karkarov
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " Well, at least at looks like it might be easier? I mean if you can beat it with low level weapons. "
    I know people who beat the entire game at level 1 using only the starting Royal weapons.  I am sure he means you may choose not to use a higher damage two hand axe over say a one hand sword because you prefer the swords mechanics, however, you will obviously want to upgrade that sword at some point.  They have already confirmed there is a system in place for enhancing weapons just like you could in Demon's Souls though they have given no details on how that system works.  One interview also stated that the games challenge is being built around the idea that you are using a one handed weapon and a shield.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.