New to DS

#1 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Hi everyone, im new to these forums and also new to DS. I know there are is a ton of info on here and im making my way through a lot of it, but I thought I would make a post to see if I could get some things clearified. Ok so im new to DS, all I can say is WOW!! I cant believe I didnt play this sooner. I come from a playing a lot of fallout and oblivion and skyrim, but this game just takes it to another level. Exactly what I have been wanting to play. I LOVE grinding souls and finding new areas to get destroyed. For the most part im managing well ( I think). I just completed the depths and killed that crazy long dragon thing with all the teeth in the sewers. Sory im bad with names. I cut off his tail too and got a nice axe. Im currently using the Drake sword and a 100% physical dam knight shield. I made my way to darkroot garden and joined that forest covinent. Now, im confused here. Whats with these convinents? Are they just for PVP? Also this whole PVP thing is confusinh the hell outta me. I know I need to be human to be invaded or summon, should I use this or just keep running solo? I would love to find someone online to kinda show me the way and give some direction. I just feel like im going to fast, once I got the drake sword im smoking enemies and black knights first try :( does that mean I should move on? Im going after that moonlight butterfly thing now. My head is going to explode, i just need some clearity lol. So much to take in. What should I focus on for the first 30 hours?

#2 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

Welcome to Dark Souls! Hehe, I just started like a month ago and have maybe 60+ hours playtime and I just finished Anor Londo (damn that Ornstein and Smough...).

I haven't really spent that much time on doing the covenants, but it's mainly beneficial for PVP and co-op stuff like when you join one, you get more chances for co-op play, or when you join the forest covenant, you get to invade players at the forest, etc. And these PVP tasks get you some really good items and gives players more variety with the PVP play. There are covenants as well that lets you offer humanity to get items. It's not required but it gives players more variety on their playthrough and challenge for "completionists".

Anyway, i love the game and just like you, my first 30 hours felt like a breeze when i got the Drake Sword, but it won't last that long. When you get to Sen's Fortress, it becomes a pain in the ass to get through the areas. Drake Sword becomes almost useless eventually and grinding to level up gets harder. I'm still fighting my way to completing the game and so far it's getting more difficult for each area.

Good luck! :)

#3 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Thats good to hear. I know the drake sword doesnt scale with you so eventually it will be useless. Im waiting to find another weapon that I like using. I have a 5+ halberd that I liked but found it to slow after using the drake. I really enjoy parrying and backstabbing so I want to find a weapon more suited for that. Maybe start dumping more souls into dex and get a katana. Ive read a few good things bout those. Where can i find a good katana? Lol

#4 Edited by NegativeCero (3001 posts) -

I haven't played in a while, so I'll try to answer what I do remember. Most covenants are for PvP, which you're right that you need to be in human form to go through. Depending on the covenant, you will be asked to kill other players online to take a specific item online and rank up in the covenant, which will eventually gets you items as you move up. As for going online, I never used it unless I felt like hunting for items. I just felt it was stressful worrying about being invaded.

I remember being suggested that I don't upgrade the Drake Sword because it give diminishing returns. Instead look for weapons with higher parameter bonuses depending on your build (the letters E-A on the weapon description).

These two sites will help you a ton if you don't mind reading outside info. I know some people find half this game's joy is the sense of discovery, i.e. not reading wikis about it.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

#5 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@Zacr81 said:

Thats good to hear. I know the drake sword doesnt scale with you so eventually it will be useless. Im waiting to find another weapon that I like using. I have a 5+ halberd that I liked but found it to slow after using the drake. I really enjoy parrying and backstabbing so I want to find a weapon more suited for that. Maybe start dumping more souls into dex and get a katana. Ive read a few good things bout those. Where can i find a good katana? Lol

You can kill (nay, murder is the term) the undead merchant in Undead Burg for a really good katana (the Uchikatana).

#6 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Cool thanks, Most games ill just jump in and figure it out. But DS is a beast and I feel like I need a little direction. Not where to go or what to do, but more so how everything works, lore, etc. hopefull the further I get the more in depth the story will become.

#7 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Are there any disadvantages to killing him? Other than loosing that merchant? I used him once to buy the res key and bottomless box. Other than that I dont bother. Im assuming ill find another merchant later on. So just kill him and the sword will be added to my inventory?

#8 Posted by mosespippy (4167 posts) -

@Zacr81: If you've done the Depths then you should have already found another merchant in Undead Burg, one that sells moss and poison darts and arrows. The other disadvantage is that it is a sin to attack NPC characters. One of the covenants has the ability to invade sinners games. This becomes a problem in the Tomb of Giants for people who want all the achievements. There is a weapon and shield down there that you need to be human to get and it is super dark and most people that far into the game have sinned so it gets invaded constantly by that covenant. To absolve your sins (some sins can't be absolved) you can go to the guy at the top of the bell tower and pay 500 souls times your level to be absolved. You can also abandon a covenant here without it being a sin.

Since you are in the forest hunter covenant you have access to the forest hunters merchant. He should be near the cat where you joined the covenant or he'll be in Blighttown. He sells a katana too if I remember correctly.

#9 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

I love how everhthing or most things you do in this game have a reaction somehow. Makes me think twice about everything I do. I think ill just kill the merchant and get the katana, everyone says its a good weapon with great base attributes. Also i want a charactor that is fast and deadly, should I dump most souls into dex and end? Im also reading about lightning weapons, do I need to boost my int to make one? Or shouls i just stick with a level 15+ goal?

#10 Posted by golguin (3912 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@Zacr81: If you've done the Depths then you should have already found another merchant in Undead Burg, one that sells moss and poison darts and arrows. The other disadvantage is that it is a sin to attack NPC characters. One of the covenants has the ability to invade sinners games. This becomes a problem in the Tomb of Giants for people who want all the achievements. There is a weapon and shield down there that you need to be human to get and it is super dark and most people that far into the game have sinned so it gets invaded constantly by that covenant. To absolve your sins (some sins can't be absolved) you can go to the guy at the top of the bell tower and pay 500 souls times your level to be absolved. You can also abandon a covenant here without it being a sin.

Since you are in the forest hunter covenant you have access to the forest hunters merchant. He should be near the cat where you joined the covenant or he'll be in Blighttown. He sells a katana too if I remember correctly.

The forest hunter merchant sells the Uchigatana, which is the same katana you would get from killing the first merchant. Killing that merchant makes you lose access to lloyds talisman, which doesn't really matter if you dont plan to PVP.

#11 Posted by cyraxible (688 posts) -

@Zacr81: You haven't found the blacksmith that will do lightning reinforcement yet. If you're going to go down the +15 route on that Uchigatana you're going to want to get your dex to ~40, after 40 scaling diminishes significantly, and make sure you use buffs to maximize your damage output. Being able to use spell enchants and scaling are the perks of normal reinforcement. If you want to have the most vitality and endurance you could get the minimum stats for the uchi, upgrade it down an elemental damage path, and since there's no scaling on elemental weapons you can invest the rest of your souls into endurance and vitality.

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4167 posts) -

@Zacr81: The buffs for the Warrior of Sunlight and Darkmoon Blade covenants on a +15 weapon are more powerful than any of the elemental upgrade paths. You'll need 30 faith though and the buffs don't last more than a minute per cast. So either put souls into dex and faith and use a buff or go elemental and dump souls elsewhere.

#13 Posted by Zacr81 (13 posts) -

Ok thanks for the info. Great forum!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.