Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

No Private chat Or party chat? WHAT THE F

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Edin899

Well i was excited about this game. But after finding out that there is not party chat i will NEVER get it.

As soon as i turn on my xbox i make a party and invite my friends.

Now some of you might say '' deal with it'' or '' Well it makes the game better''

But to me it does not.

Ps3 players never get how good party chat acually is. It makes the xbox more then a gaming system. You just get to know people.

I have known some people on xbox for years and the friendship go's beyond just playing games. We talk about everything.

So this game is telling me i can't talk to my friends? Fuck no. Hell no!

I was so exicted about this and then they ruin the game.

I know there is another topic about this. But really i just wanted to share my opinion. One less game to buy this fall.

EDIT: all you guys are saying is that party chat and chat in the game ruins the game for you.

Well guess what, YOU make the decision to put a headset on and join a party chat. If you want to play the game alone and experience it like that you can.

So taking party chat out makes NO difference in the game. Making this decision really stupid.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexW00d

Grow up. Use Skype.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Aishan

There was already a lengthy discussion on this topic.

I agree with you, however, it's a stupid decision that is so easy to bypass that it only serves to annoy people who'd like to use party-chat.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akyho

Well that was pretty selfish. You should learn the internet and your opinion is like dust in the wind.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Edin899

@AlexW00d said:

Grow up. Use Skype.

You think my xbox is right next to my pc? You think everybody just owns a pc headset? Y would i buy a pc headset and a laptop just for this game?

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Edin899

@Aishan: I'ts just stupid. Makes no sense to disable all chats. They act like this game is like the holy grail of '' games you need to play by yourself and experience the athmosphere''

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By onarum
    @Edin899: you don't need to because talking is not required to play the game
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By beforet

@Edin899 said:

I know there is another topic about this. But really i just wanted to share my opinion.

So, instead of posting in that one, you decided to clutter the board with redundant threads. Awesome, it's great to hear that your opinion is so important!

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By huntad

@Edin899: I agree, I hate it when games disable console features. This is pretty dumb.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Edin899

@onarum: What the f, you could say that about all games. They went out of their way to make sure its disabled. Bad business decisions if you ask me.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Edin899

@huntad: True, party chat is one of the best features on the xbox. I think some people would be pissed off buying this game and finding out party chat doesn't work. I sure as hell would be pissed off.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

@Edin899: It's not a bad decision. They don't want people to talk to one another when they play, they want them to communicate through the means provided in the game as it keeps in-line with the atmosphere they strive to create. You don't like that? Gutted. There are a million other ways you can talk to friends. And why do you need a laptop to talk to people? Do you have a mobile phone? Probably. If you have a headset for the xbox surely you can use it with your PC?

Anyway, you're just making one tiny-ass issue into something bigger. There are a tonne of solutions you could employ, so do so and stop cluttering the forums with your bullshit.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By onarum
    @Edin899 said:

@onarum: What the f, you could say that about all games. They went out of their way to make sure its disabled. Bad business decisions if you ask me.

I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that you don't need to "buy a pc headset and a laptop just for this game" because it really doesn't add anything to the experience, and if you decide not to buy it just because of this you'll be missing out.

And not wanting to sound like a jackass but if all you want is games where you can bro out with your buddies you better stick with COD.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Edin899

@AlexW00d said:

@Edin899: It's not a bad decision. They don't want people to talk to one another when they play, they want them to communicate through the means provided in the game as it keeps in-line with the atmosphere they strive to create. You don't like that? Gutted. There are a million other ways you can talk to friends. And why do you need a laptop to talk to people? Do you have a mobile phone? Probably. If you have a headset for the xbox surely you can use it with your PC?

Anyway, you're just making one tiny-ass issue into something bigger. There are a tonne of solutions you could employ, so do so and stop cluttering the forums with your bullshit.

You want me to call my friends in the USA with my mobile phone? Heck no.

And i am usually in party chat with 2 3 or 4 people. you want me to tell all of them. To get a pc headset. To get a laptop because not all our pc's are close to the xbox. And to skype me? wtf get outta here.

There is no easy solution for this problem. It is always more hassle then just sending a party chat invite.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ghost_cat

Just rent it and see if you like the omission of this feature. Strange and minimal multiplayer mechanics are part of what made Demon's Souls successful, and adding party chat/invite would make it a completely different game.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By august

DON'T THESE HOMOS KNOW I WANT TO HUNT GARGOYLES WHILE TALKING TO MY BROS ABOUT THE FAT BLUNT I'M SMOKING AND HOW TOTALLY HIGH I AM RIGHT NOW

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Edin899

@onarum: Excuse me, but talking to friends is called Bro out now?

I just want to play the game and talk to my friends on xbox. I want to play the game my way. Not their way and they are FORCING you to play it their way. Does that sound good to you?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

@Edin899: But there is no problem, you have invented it. Just don't talk to your friends for like an hour. Simple. I don't think they'd mind not hearing from you for a little bit, and I think they would understand.

And I didn't say ring them, all mobile OSes have skype these days. Use that. You're the only one who is making problems for yourself.

bloodlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By bloodlines

Use skype on your phone then. I assume most people got a iphone or smartphone now ?

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Edin899

@august said:

DON'T THESE HOMOS KNOW I WANT TO HUNT GARGOYLES WHILE TALKING TO MY BROS ABOUT THE FAT BLUNT I'M SMOKING AND HOW TOTALLY HIGH I AM RIGHT NOW

Never got high in my life and i'm from the netherlands were weed is legal. But ok..................................

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Edin899

@Bloodlines said:

Use skype on your phone then. I assume most people got a iphone or smartphone now ?

does skype have party chat on mobile phones?

And if it did. Who gives a crap? I love the xbox because of the party chat features and the way everything is integrated.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joeyoe31

Demon's Souls didn't have voice chat at all either. This enhanced the experience because of the fact that you couldn't talk but still had to rely completely on your partners. They're just doing this for the people on 360 too.

And if they're really your friends, they'll be fine with not talking to you for a few days. And when your not playing you can talk to them. But during Dark Souls, that's "you" time.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maajin

Yeah, as said before, it adds to the horror and tension atmosphere, which was one of the greatest things Demons Souls offered.

Also, I respect so much that they're willing to lose potential customers to maintain their multiplayer philosphy.

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pigmartyr

@Edin899: I'm glad there isn't party chat/ voice support now. I'd hate to buy this thinking I was going to run into you and ruin my experience by you asking me to help you level, give you items, or boost achievements.

You clearly don't see the other side of things and rationale behind why it was left out if you can make a statement like "it's poor business".

There is a very easy solution for this problem however; spend your $60 elsewhere.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Edin899

@Joeyoe31 said:

Demon's Souls didn't have voice chat at all either. This enhanced the experience because of the fact that you couldn't talk but still had to rely completely on your partners. They're just doing this for the people on 360 too.

And if they're really your friends, they'll be fine with not talking to you for a few days. And when your not playing you can talk to them. But during Dark Souls, that's "you" time.

that's not the point.

The developers are so stupid. don't they realize people have free will? Nobody is forcing me to play dark souls in party chat. They could have kept party chat in and it would not have made any difference because i can get out of party chat any moment if i wanne just play the game and not talk to anybody.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aishan

@pigmartyr said:

@Edin899: I'm glad there isn't party chat/ voice support now. I'd hate to buy this thinking I was going to run into you and ruin my experience by you asking me to help you level, give you items, or boost achievements.

You clearly don't see the other side of things and rationale behind why it was left out if you can make a statement like "it's poor business".

There is a very easy solution for this problem however; spend your $60 elsewhere.

The "other side" has no argument though. If you don't want to chat to people, you can already do that. There's no use point in blocking party chat, because people who do want to get around it for in-game reasons can do so easily (Skype, Vent, Mumble, etc.) anyway.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By onarum
    @Edin899: Again, I'm not saying it's good, I'm just saying that if you decide not to play it just because of this you'll be missing out.

I knew having it on the 360 would cause this sort of thing, personally I applaud the developer to devote to their vision so much to the point of doing something like this, it's like when a dev withholds information to not ruin your experience once you play the game, is this case they wish for you to have a specific kind of experience which would be completely pointless if you were just chatting with you buddies at the same time.

This should have stayed PS3 exclusive.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edin899

@pigmartyr said:

How? You don't get that having party chat and private chat makes no differnce at all.

Don't you choose yourself if you wanne put a headset on? Don't you choose yourself if you want to join a party chat?

You guys are stupid as hell.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By time allen

it's how they want you to play their game so yeah, skype or deal w/it.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By BulletproofMonk

People complaining about this should realize that Dark Souls is not a co-op game. You don't just invite your buddy into a game and talk shit while grinding some souls. It's much more complicated than that. Just read the Demon's Souls wiki for more info.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Edin899: No, you're missing the point. It's about the game "experience" being quiet but also tension filled. If you're talking to people, it ruins the tension. It's like playing Amnesia with the lights on.

As to the free will thing. Telling someone to do something doesn't mean they're going to do it.

EDIT: Also this @BulletproofMonk said:

People complaining about this should realize that Dark Souls is not a co-op game. You don't just invite your buddy into a game and talk shit while grinding some souls. It's much more complicated than that. Just read the Demon's Souls wiki for more info.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jetsetwillie

@Edin899: end of the day it was the designers choice to do this and if its not something you agree with just don't buy the game.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Edin899

@Joeyoe31 said:

@Edin899: No, you're missing the point. It's about the game "experience" being quiet but also tension filled. If you're talking to people, it ruins the tension. It's like playing Amnesia with the lights on.

As to the free will thing. Telling someone to do something doesn't mean they're going to do it.

wow are you people stupid?

i just said YOU make the decision in choosing if you want to put a headset on and join a party.

If the game had party chat and i choose not to talk to anybody and play the game myself i would have the same experience as if the game had no party chat.

Please use your brains.

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Edin899

@Aishan said:

@pigmartyr said:

The "other side" has no argument though. If you don't want to chat to people, you can already do that. There's no use point in blocking party chat, because people who do want to get around it for in-game reasons can do so easily (Skype, Vent, Mumble, etc.) anyway.

Thank you somebody with a brain.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Grissefar
    @Edin899 said:

Well i was excited about this game. But after finding out that there is not party chat i will NEVER get it.

As soon as i turn on my xbox i make a party and invite my friends.

Now some of you might say '' deal with it'' or '' Well it makes the game better''

But to me it does not.

Ps3 players never get how good party chat acually is. It makes the xbox more then a gaming system. You just get to know people.

I have known some people on xbox for years and the friendship go's beyond just playing games. We talk about everything.

So this game is telling me i can't talk to my friends? Fuck no. Hell no!

I was so exicted about this and then they ruin the game.

I know there is another topic about this. But really i just wanted to share my opinion. One less game to buy this fall.

EDIT: all you guys are saying is that party chat and chat in the game ruins the game for you.

Well guess what, YOU make the decision to put a headset on and join a party chat. If you want to play the game alone and experience it like that you can.

So taking party chat out makes NO difference in the game. Making this decision really stupid.

It might suck a dick for you that there is no party chat, but it will suck a bigger dick for you to dismiss this game, probably. Maybe you could turn on a bombcast? That's fun too.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By thebeast

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.