Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Official Title: 'Dark Souls'. Also, a bunch of details.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Timing

Taken from GAF: There's a preview on the game in this week's Famitsu. The official title is now Dark Souls. Some info from the preview:

- This is the official title of what was previously Project Dark

- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
    - All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
    - There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.

- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
    - The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.
    - There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

- The character creation process will not be class based.
    - The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
    - There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
    - You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
    - There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
    - Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ventilaator

This leads to me wondering why the heck isn't this a Demon's Souls 2, when it's basically a Demon's Souls 2...
    Is it because Sony owns some of it, and they wanted to release on 360 as well?

If so, why doesn't Bioware release Mass Effect 1 as Space And Aliens And Lasers: The RPG on the PS3? :(

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor
    @Ventilaator said:
    " This leads to me wondering why the heck isn't this a Demon's Souls 2, when it's basically a Demon's Souls 2... Is it because Sony owns some of it, and they wanted to release on 360 as well?  If so, why doesn't Bioware release Mass Effect 1 as Space And Aliens And Lasers: The RPG on the PS3? :( "
    Sony either owns the IP or has exclusivity rights over the Demon's Souls series and, since the game went multiplatform, they had to change the name.  

As for ME1 - I think MS probably owns a lot more than just the name for that one.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Sounds great! Personally, I'm glad they got rid of the world tendency stuff since that was at first downright confusing to figure out, and then would lead to becoming mostly a hassle to then influence the tendencies, once I knew how it all worked. Dying over and over in body form to get yourself in the black wasn't a worth while experience. 

The class system is worth getting rid of as well, if they plan to have the character progression in the same vein as Demon's Souls. Besides the first few soul levels, it was pretty much pointless in the long run as to what class you picked. Hopefully this may mean they'll instead just give the player a set number of points to then invest in their character from the get go.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ventilaator

I'm also glad to hear them not dumbing it down for all the folks who thought it was God of War when they tried it.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Man I still gotta finish DS. Got stuck on the manticore and then it got lost in the shuffle...

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

This is beginning to sound like one of those central-eastern european PC RPGs... Atlus is making something similar with the Cursed Crusade -- that one's coming out on the PC.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome, I just hope the seamless world works great, as if it's an annoying task to get from location to location that could hurt the experience a bit.  One thing I loved about Demon's Souls was any level of the game was no longer than 30 seconds away usually.  Oh, and I loved the everliving hell out of that game by the way.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Stete

Cool, thanx for the details OP. But what I would really like to see is a goddamn pause button, that's what ruined the first one for me.

StriderJ8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By StriderJ8

Mmmmm.... More Demon Soulllllssss.... Thanks OP! Can't wait!

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By 02sfraser

I really like the idea of the seamless world. Cannot wait to get me some more Demon Souls!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @02sfraser said:
    " I really like the idea of the seamless world. Cannot wait to get me some more Demon Souls! "
    Demon's Souls are so last 2 years! It's all about Dark Souls now, baby!
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By McGhee

Sounds really great. I don't mind the difficulty, even though I still haven't completely finished Demon's Souls. 

But since this isn't a direct sequel, I hope you now won't be losing XP when you die since you are possibly no longer collecting souls.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

" Sounds really great. I don't mind the difficulty, even though I still haven't completely finished Demon's Souls.  But since this isn't a direct sequel, I hope you now won't be losing XP when you die since you are possibly no longer collecting souls. "

I have a feeling that the acquisition of souls will play a part in there somewhere. TBH this all looks to be pretty much Demon's Souls through and through just in a different Universe. 

It'd still be called Demon's Souls after all, if it was allowed.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee
    @Abyssfull:  
    That's OK. I'll just grit my teeth, walk slowly while holding up my shield, and medicate with booze as needed.
    perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By perilator666

FUCK YES!!!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

SOUNDS GREAT

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Jadeskye

My first world of warcraft guild was called dark souls >_>

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By Timing

Aside from what's already been mentioned, points that stuck out to me were:

- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

I already thought the level design in Demon's Souls was very intricate and interesting, but it seems like they're now willing to go even beyond that and I'm really curious as to what they've got planned.

- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

Again, you could tell a considerate amount of time in the development of Demon's Souls had already been spent on weapon animation and now even still increasing the animation and uniqueness sounds crazy, and also awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the new weapons they come up with. Maybe a flail of some sort?

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By rargy

Fuuuuck yes, i am ready.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

This is great news.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By luce

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH
     YEAAAAAAAAAAAH
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By benjaebe

Can't wait. Demon's Souls is easily one of the greatest reasons to own a PS3 - happy to see that everyone will get a slice of their next game.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Grissefar

Dark's Souls
    Dark's Souls
    I am excite for this.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

UGH! I wonder how this will work on XBL since player with silver accounts will be getting the shaft. I can see the MSG's now. 

*Unnamed XBL player trying to leave a hint msg* 

"We apologize but  this feature is unavailable due to your current XBL subscription. Please upgrade your account if you want to enjoy the full features this game offers" 

*Unnamed XBL player trying to use his/hers Blue or Red stone* 

"We apologize but  this feature is unavailable due to your current XBL subscription. Please upgrade your account if you want to enjoy the full features this game offers"      

I am not trying to troll but if this game has an online mode on the same line as Demon's Souls then I feel that not all players on XBL will be on even ground or will get to experiance a feature that can make this game a huge successes. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

This. Is. All. So. Awesome.

barkertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By barkertron

Well, Demon's Souls was still playable offline, you just missed out on a lot of the cool stuff. I guess that silver XBL subscribers would just have to play without all the messages, multiplayer etc. Bit of a bummer, really.

Valle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Valle
    @barkertron said:
    " Well, Demon's Souls was still playable offline, "
    "is"
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jking47

The first game is one of my favorites, can't wait to see how this one turns out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.