Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Oh wow. So that's what "Poise" does. So great!

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mason

I just started experimenting with making my nimble but strong bandit wear much heavier armor along with the wolf ring and greatshield. All of these things raised my poise from 0 to 100. There's also the benefit of having a great stability rating that goes hand-in-hand.

I had a vague idea of what being a tank felt like, but it's better than I imagined. It's like I'm playing a completely different game.

I never flinch and my animations are rarely interrupted by quick attacks. I can just wade for multiple hits, without worrying much about stun locking. Even heavy enemies actually get stunned bouncing off of my shield, which leaves huge openings. My guard never breaks and I'm rarely knocked down.

Some of this is because of high stability rating and good endurance stas obviously, but it's really poise that makes the whole thing gel together. It makes up for being slow by being completely unflinching.

I went from a character who would weave in and out of attacks to avoid damage, to one that just takes it full in the face and laughs (my vitality isn't even that high). It's a different experience to just walk up to anyone, even giant enemies with no fear. It's like controlling a boss monster. I like it.

Just saying, I'm a fan of this addition to the game.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Tesla

I've created a few different characters trying to find the class I like the most, and the knight has been my favorite so far because of how useful poise has been. Combine that with a high vitality and I've stopped using shields for the most part. I either have both hands on my sword, or use the off hand to cast miracles.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By psylah

This is good to know.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

That wolf ring is awesome. With my stone armor and that wolf ring I'm pretty much just wading through enemies without getting stunlocked at all.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

That's why you get Havals Armor.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mason

It's just too bad. Such a badass statistic called Poise, just makes me think of those pads for ladies with lazy bladders.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

Yeah, I turned my Wanderer into a heavy armor dude. But once I get that ninja ring I'm taking it all off and going acrobat.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti

I tried it for a while but didn't like it.
    Yes you don't flinch but you still take damage if you are just chaining swings through their attacks and not mitigating them 100% with a shield. Which eventually wears your hp down more and more as you go through an area.
    Plus moving from A to B also take way longer.

Now versus bosses that's another matter.

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By supaman900s
    @mason said:

I just started experimenting... I ... takes it full in the face and laughs... It's a different experience...

lol this is all i read from your post.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By ImperiousRix

Wow, had no idea what Poise did. Good to know.

Though I think I'm going to keep my Bandit a nimble bruiser. Maybe will experiment with heavy armor at some point.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I am definitely going to build a character like this on my second run through. I love how diverse characters can be in this game.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By StrikeALight

Just picked up Havel's ring. Makes close quarters (particularly in tight spots) much more bareable.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mason

@Tennmuerti: I can understand not liking it. You have to be a lot more deliberate with your movements and really anticipate. But it's not like I willingly take damage either. I almost always keep my guard up. It's just nice that if I miss my timing the enemies won't interrupt my attack animation with puny sword strike. If I end up sacrificing 10% of my health to deal massive damage, then it's a good trade off.

It's also useful for getting my shield up quick when I'm caught in a multi-hit combo. Otherwise I'd just stagger around taking 3 or 4 hits instead of just one. The Capra Demon fight really taught me how getting staggered can make or break a fight. Man, I wish I had high poise for that one.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Rayeth

The Wolf Ring (I think that's the one) is a great way for less STR oriented characters to get a bunch of Poise. I think its 40 for the ring alone.

Good stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.