Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Other 360 owners: are you having really bad framerate issues?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

I've read that this game has some framerate issues, and I remember Demons Souls getting slightly choppy when a lot of fire effects were on screen and such but it was overall smooth sailing.

Dark Souls on my 360 though is pretty atrocious. I also can't decide if it looks worse or if it's some sort of strange filters but thats not the issue.

The game stutters and chugs sometimes in just any place. I've only started playing so I'm in the Undead Burg and around those areas and theres pretty bad framerates all round.

If you owned Demons Souls for the PS3 and now got Dark Souls for 360 do you notice the framerate being pretty bad pretty much all the time or is it just me?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Its been know both  versions have framerate issues. Demon souls had this issue as well. But from what Ive heard the 360 version of the game has a bit more framey issues. 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pweidman

Did you put it on your HDD? Mine runs fine, haven't noticed much slowdown at all.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CaptainTightPants

Never played Demons Souls, but I have Dark Souls  on the 360,

There are a few instances of the framerate just taking a complete nosedive. With one area in particular ( It is underground and has water everywhere) in which the framerate is just consistently terrible. 
    For the most part I don't have any really bad frame-rate issues though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Humanity

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Its been know both versions have framerate issues. Demon souls had this issue as well. But from what Ive heard the 360 version of the game has a bit more framey issues.

I've read that yes, and I remember Demons Souls having SOME issue but definitely not as awful as this.

Smurflor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Smurflor

The first areas are the worst I've encountered so far after ~10 hours, it will get better as you progress though I hear Blightown has some bad issues (and the issues are on both platforms for the most part, slightly worse on 360 maybe).

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ervonymous

Installed it, I had massive slowdown during the first boss fight, the.. dark place full of water and ghosts is atrocious, I thought the game was going to die on me when the red dragon scorched me to death.. But other than that it's been smooth.

I haven't died because of it. Yet.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I've only noticed it slightly drop in some of the larger ares. It's been consistently smooth in Undead Burg so far though.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McShank

the worst place that has the framerate issue that I have found is Blighttown. Constant lag but i can deal with it as demon's souls had the same issue and also playing mmo's on shitty comps :D Both plateforms have the issue. PS3 with more debri issues and 360 with lighting / smoke / fog issues.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine has been pretty good so far. There is a part in the church where a group of enemies cause a slowdown, but that's about it.

No deaths b/c of it.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By MoonlightMoth

I've noticed a little bit, but nothing too terrible so far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Humanity

Ok. I haven't died either because of it - it's just not as smooth as Demons Souls. I guess this is because the areas are bigger?

Hopefully there is a small performance patch on the way.

I'd also love to see them patch in the ability to switch Triggers with LB and RB. It's not a HUGE deal but it actually makes sense that light attacks are quick button presses and hard attacks are long trigger pulls.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By morosemode

I've consistently heard Blighttown is the big problem area but not got that far.  

I've had very slight framerate drops early on(barely noticeable for just a second). I have installed though & suggest you do the same if you haven't already.  I can't say that'll help, but short of you playing it on an older Xbox I can't understand why performance would be so terrible from player to player.
    bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By bcjohnnie

I imagine there is some performance difference depending on which model 360 you are using. The framerate is fairly bad on my older model, not a launch 360, but before the sleeker black ones came out. I keep forgetting to clear my cache, so I will do that tonight just to see if it helps. I would say that the frame rate has bordered on being problematic for gameplay, but I don't think I have died because of it yet. I'm more likely to die because of weird glitchy enemies or random input lag (just sayin'... I still love the shit out of this game).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Humanity

Well I just recently updated to the new 360 Slim so there should be no problems there. I can see from what people are saying that it is what it is - just a shame as I think it's the same engine.

I'm not liking some of the design choices but it just seems they didn't make really big strides in the series which is a shame.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mikey87144

@Resident4t said:

Never played Demons Souls, but I have Dark Souls on the 360, There are a few instances of the framerate just taking a complete nosedive. With one area in particular ( It is underground and has water everywhere) in which the framerate is just consistently terrible. For the most part I don't have any really bad frame-rate issues though.

It's the same on PS3 in that area.

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ervonymous said:

Installed it, I had massive slowdown during the first boss fight, the.. dark place full of water and ghosts is atrocious, I thought the game was going to die on me when the red dragon scorched me to death.

Had some major lag at these locations myself

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hungrynun

When I backstab someone and the blood sprays out I get a little drop. And in Blighttown is where you find the frame rate at a constant >10. This happens for both versions as far as i can tell.

coggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coggy

Besides Hungrynun, does anyone else notice a drop in frames when getting a backstab or riposte?

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By fishmicmuffin

Blight town is the only area that was really bad. Everywhere else it has been constant with the occasional drop if there is a lot going on. Blight town was terrible in spots, though.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By xxizzypop

I've had some pretty awful framerate. The bloom effect on the bonfire kills FPS, so does running around in the New Londo Ruins, in Blighttown, when the dragon breathes fire in Undead Burg and... there's one other area, but I can't think of it right now. Every time I riposte or backstab I get some slow down too...

It's really frustrating and makes me wish I had gotten a PS3 and this to play on it instead.

Jonnyflash80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonnyflash80

I've noticed some really bad framerate drops in New Londo Ruins and walking through the Darkroot Garden, and a bit when fighting Sif (probably due to the fur effects). I don't have a slim model XBox, I have the original model. It is really starting to affect my gameplay as there is noticeable lag when fighting enemies in the New Londo and Darkroot. I'm kind of disappointed but I'm trying to not let it ruin my Dark Souls experience because I love the game. The 360 is starting to show it's age methinks.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I'm glad to hear that Blighttown is probably the worst it gets, but man, it's the first time playing the game that I've been really disappointed.  I can literally count frames; everything was chugging so bad I just decided to stop playing after setting the first Blighttown bonfire.  It really sucks that I'm going to have to force myself to slog through this area, up until now I couldn't tear myself away from the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.