Pay real money for Dark Souls slabs or weapons...?

#1 Posted by plaintomato (616 posts) -

Seriously. I want to. Is there a place for this?

Now I realize that this could easily be slammed as a bitch-ass idea...it strikes me as lame after seeing news about people paying cash for WOW gold and stuff like that. I've never paid for anything normally earned before, but I LOVE Dark Souls and I've played through it 2 and half times, twice (does that make 5 times?), and I've got my platinum trophy on the PS3 - it's not like I haven't put my work in.

I've been away for awhile with Saints Row 3 and Skyrim, but I know I'll be heading back to Dark Souls and want to try some new builds, and I DO NOT want to grind slabs through NG++ again - I just want to b-line straight to the Kiln and stay there for PVP...with a variety of weapons so I can mix it up when I get bored.

I once heard there was such a service for Demon's Souls, though I never actually looked into it. But I would seriously buy Dark Souls slabs off of eBay if I could, call me what you will. I'm not playing Dark Souls right now, and I wouldn't be in a mood to take action anytime soon so this is NOT a solicitation for offers, but I'm wondering...is there some place for this somewhere in these crazy interwebs?

#2 Posted by DeadDorf (415 posts) -

How do you even trade items in Dark Souls?

#3 Posted by EvilKatarn (477 posts) -

@DeadDorf: engage in co-op and just drop the stuff you want to give away. Trading for real money sounds shady to me. I wouldn't trust it.

#4 Posted by LookItsPineapple (35 posts) -

@EvilKatarn said:

@DeadDorf: engage in co-op and just drop the stuff you want to give away. Trading for real money sounds shady to me. I wouldn't trust it.

This is the only way you're going to get any trading done. There is no outside economy that will get you in game items. Unfortunately if you want to do what you said, you're pretty much going to have to grind some stuff out and re-aquire the slabs to build the various weapons. The game does a lot of wonderful things, but catering to each players wants is not one of them. Would it be nice to be able to farm slabs? Of course. Would it de-value the equipment you can make with them? Absolutely.

#5 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

Now I realize that this could easily be slammed as a bitch-ass idea...it strikes me as lame after seeing news about people paying cash for WOW gold and stuff like that. I've never paid for anything normally earned before, but I LOVE Dark Souls and I've played through it 2 and half times, twice (does that make 5 times?), and I've got my platinum trophy on the PS3 - it's not like I haven't put my work in.

I've been away for awhile with Saints Row 3 and Skyrim, but I know I'll be heading back to Dark Souls and want to try some new builds, and I DO NOT want to grind slabs through NG++ again - I just want to b-line straight to the Kiln and stay there for PVP...with a variety of weapons so I can mix it up when I get bored.

I once heard there was such a service for Demon's Souls, though I never actually looked into it. But I would seriously buy Dark Souls slabs off of eBay if I could, call me what you will. I'm not playing Dark Souls right now, and I wouldn't be in a mood to take action anytime soon so this is NOT a solicitation for offers, but I'm wondering...is there some place for this somewhere in these crazy interwebs?

Ya..kinda a stupid idea. And isnt buying gold in WoW illegal?

Slabs I think can be farmed before the 4 kings.

Your entire idea defeats the reason to play Dark souls. You need to work for your shit. Not pay it off and be lazy.

#6 Posted by CptBedlam (4481 posts) -

@plaintomato: You're part of why our hobby goes to shit.

#7 Posted by plaintomato (616 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

Yeah. Makes perfect sense. You're part of why forums are famous for simpleminded assholes and unsupported statements. I mean...

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I'm fine with getting called out on this...I mean, it is stupid...I can recognize that and still admit I'd do it. I'm sure that's probably beyond Cptbedlam's particular skill set but...no, I'm not part of why "our hobby" goes to shit, more like CptBedlam is likely why threads go to shit.

Anyway, trust me, I've farmed slabs...and it's not something I want to do again. That's the point...I've spent so many hours farming slabs and weapons and have two focused builds I'm fine with. I want a third kind of over-leveled versatile build to add some variety; and I don't want to do the farming again.

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@plaintomato said:

Your entire idea defeats the reason to play Dark souls. You need to work for your shit. Not pay it off and be lazy.

Why would it be illegal? It's against WoW's terms of service, but there's no law that says you can't.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

@CptBedlam said:

Yeah. Makes perfect sense. You're part of why forums are famous for simpleminded assholes and unsupported statements. I mean...

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I'm fine with getting called out on this...I mean, it is stupid...I can recognize that and still admit I'd do it. I'm sure that's probably beyond Cptbedlam's particular skill set but...no, I'm not part of why "our hobby" goes to shit, more like CptBedlam is likely why threads go to shit.

Anyway, trust me, I've farmed slabs...and it's not something I want to do again. That's the point...I've spent so many hours farming slabs and weapons and have two focused builds I'm fine with. I want a third kind of over-leveled versatile build to add some variety; and I don't want to do the farming again.

I think slab drop rate went up in the last patch. Also...i am unable to find a official dark souls forum. There is one or two items I would love to trade for. The trading idea would work. (maybe even if you could drop souls) The paying for ingame stuff not so much

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3752 posts) -

Wow you think Dark Souls is bad.... I hope you never played Demon's Souls and tried to farm mats there. Of course in DS you could count on duping from a multiplayer buddy.

#11 Posted by CptBedlam (4481 posts) -

@plaintomato: Only short-sighted idiots throw money at publishers for shit like that. Face it, you're part of the problem.

#12 Posted by plaintomato (616 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@plaintomato: Only short-sighted idiots throw money at publishers for shit like that. Face it, you're part of the problem.

Okay, so most of the time, the first part of your statement is something I can agree with. But I'm not talking about DLC for slabs...besides, From Software wouldn't do that in a million years (offer an unfair/uneven way to get ahead in their game); they leave crap like that to Codemasters...and their own development oversights.

@Karkarov said:

Wow you think Dark Souls is bad.... I hope you never played Demon's Souls and tried to farm mats there. Of course in DS you could count on duping from a multiplayer buddy.

Yeah, I platinum'd Dark Souls - probably put equal or more time into Demon's Souls and never even came close to the platinum trophy. It always cracks me up how many reviewers said Dark Souls is harder than Demon's Souls...uh, no.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I think slab drop rate went up in the last patch. Also...i am unable to find a official dark souls forum. There is one or two items I would love to trade for. The trading idea would work. (maybe even if you could drop souls) The paying for ingame stuff not so much

Seriously, I saw one of the Demon's Souls gurus on the unofficial wiki forums (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/) say, back before Dark Souls ever came out, that he'd put enough time into Demon's Souls, earned his platinum, and now used an "armory service" for new builds. That's where I got this idea.

But anyway, trading's a good idea...and I've got LOADS of stuff on my other characters I could trade. I did platinum, so I've got every special weapon, even the ones you have to grind for, and a good amount of maxed gear. Let me know what you are looking for if you have any red or regular slabs, or even pyromancy flames, that you would want to trade.

#13 Edited by Bass (706 posts) -

The reddit darksouls subforum does some active trading. However, Slabs are the rarest item in the game. You won't find too many people looking to drop off a slab unless you have something super rare. The two items i see most complained about in terms of drop-rate is the symbol of avarice and the channeler's trident. Just about everything else is easier to farm than a slab, and less valuable too.

Still, thats about the only place I have seen any active trading going on. Also, these trades are never for money. I can't imagine a sure fire way for either side to be sure they are getting what they bargained for when money is involved.

#14 Edited by biggiedubs (524 posts) -
#15 Posted by shamroll (158 posts) -

Unless they fixed the bugs, there are several ways to get whatever you need. You can get as many souls as you want with the dragon head + a stamina regen item. With that you can either buy all the shards you want, over level your guy completely, or buy items which you can trade to the egg lady for any number of other shards which is another exploit.

I know it isn't the ethical thing to do but it is an option to get what you want without spending cash.

#16 Posted by TentPole (1856 posts) -

Fuck no.

#17 Posted by YoThatLimp (2043 posts) -

I will be the clearing house of Dark Souls.

#18 Posted by Out2Syn (2 posts) -

I've traded slabs for psn points before, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I also remember making a good chunk of change back in the day with Diablo 2. People pay for convenience everyday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.