(PC) How on-fire is the Multiplayer?

#1 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1791 posts) -

I've been playing Dark Souls quite a bit on PS3 for a while now but I've been interested in the PC version for all of the fixes and mods for that version (specifically the frame-rate ones), and seeing how it's on Steam sale this weekend, I'm finially going to bite the bullet. However, all I've seen are horror stories about how fucked the multiplayer is.

So, how bad is the state of the multiplayer on the PC version? I'm going to get the game regardless, but I'm just curious if Smough and Ornstein running amok in Anor Londo is the exception or the norm.

#2 Posted by Kaiserreich (711 posts) -

132 hours never saw a hacker. I probably got lucky, but its not as bad some would tell you.

#3 Edited by super2j (1733 posts) -

I've been playing Dark Souls quite a bit on PS3 for a while now but I've been interested in the PC version for all of the fixes and mods for that version (specifically the frame-rate ones), and seeing how it's on Steam sale this weekend, I'm finially going to bite the bullet. However, all I've seen are horror stories about how fucked the multiplayer is.

So, how bad is the state of the multiplayer on the PC version? I'm going to get the game regardless, but I'm just curious if Smough and Ornstein running amok in Anor Londo is the exception or the norm.

while I am not gunna play this on pc. I am totally interested in finding out the answer. I am sure I am not the only one who thought mixing the pc and dark soul's unforgiving multiplayer is like hydrogen gas near an open flame...

#4 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1791 posts) -

132 hours never saw a hacker. I probably got lucky, but its not as bad some would tell you.

Can't say that's not slightly disappointing to hear. I don't take PvP very seriously and at most (except for helping friends) I just post up next to a boss to help some people to get some quick souls, so the idea of the multiplayer being totally crazy wasn't completely unappealing. Good to know that I (probably) don't have to fear kindling though.

#5 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5739 posts) -

I saw a hacker on PS3 recently; they were in Dark Anor Londo but the fog door to Ornstein and Smough was up, eventually I heard footsteps with no one present and was instantly cursed in one hit (reasonably sure there's no way to curse in pvp regardless) and then a WoW-like ghost apparition appeared; fairly amusing but sadly didn't catch the guy's PSN and was unable to get him in another invasion. I was a phantom at the time so the curse didn't carry over to my actual guy.

#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

The multiplayer seems fine to me. Though I admittedly didn't use it a whole lot. By the end of the game I was getting more into it and wished I'd been summoning people in to help me more often.

#7 Posted by SnakeLinkSonic (290 posts) -

I used it a lot less than I did on the Playstation version, but that was because I was too lazy to mess with the workarounds to get GFW working properly. If I want the PVP aspect of it, I'll just hook my PS3 up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.