Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

PC Problems

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Okay, I know I'm expecting too much from this port, but it doesn't work. It flat out doesn't work. When it starts up (in windowed mode with 1/4 of the screen in the bottom right hand corner) I can't input any keyboard inputs. I can hit the home key on my keyboard to make the dash disappear then reappear. I can hit the guide button on my 360 controller and make it go away and come back that way. Whenever I hit Alt+Tab, Alt+enter or try to drag the window around the game locks up forcing me to close it. To try and fix it, I've uninstalled then reinstalled GFWL, Updated my video drivers, tried all different combinations of compatibility checkmarks, turned off my firewall, and I've even considered reinstalling DirectX.

Before I do all that though, I'm going to reboot and see what happens. Until then, here's my specs.

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
    • Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07 Ghz
    • 8GB DDR3 RAM
    • 500GB Hard Drive
    • Zotac Nvidia GeForce 560 Ti 1GB DDR5 video card
    • Xbox 360 controller plugged in
    • USB headset plugged in

Anybody else having similar problems? Anybody have a fix yet?

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Pop

did you try unplugging your headset?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Pop: Nope, but the old IT standby by of "did you turn off and then turn your computer back on?" totally worked for whatever strange reason. USB headset plugged in and everything.

Power cycling, ya'll.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

Are you using the resolution fix mod? (Don't install that yet if you're not.)

Try this before trying anything super in-depth or changing any variables:

Restart your computer (I'm serious, actually do this).

Then:

• Right click on the offending game in your Steam library and click Properties.
    • Shuffle on over to the Local files and click Verify integrity of game cache
    • Wait while Steam checks out your game files. This can take seconds or up to ten minutes depending how how big the game is (Team Fortress 2 is the only one I know that will take ten minutes).
    • If any files were missing or corrupt, Steam will redownload them and you should be good to go!

Post back with the results.

Power cycling, ya'll.

Called it. Good luck staying alive ;)

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

Okay, I know I'm expecting too much from this port, but it doesn't work. It flat out doesn't work. When it starts up (in windowed mode with 1/4 of the screen in the bottom right hand corner) I can't input any keyboard inputs. I can hit the home key on my keyboard to make the dash disappear then reappear. I can hit the guide button on my 360 controller and make it go away and come back that way. Whenever I hit Alt+Tab, Alt+enter or try to drag the window around the game locks up forcing me to close it. To try and fix it, I've uninstalled then reinstalled GFWL, Updated my video drivers, tried all different combinations of compatibility checkmarks, turned off my firewall, and I've even considered reinstalling DirectX.

If you are using Durante's fix, did you turn AA off in-game?

Edit: Glad you solved it. Weird problem, for sure. There's a new version of Durante's fix, 0.6, by the way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight: I totally did all of that before restarting my computer. I've already died once. I'm thinking I want to go through without a guide, but I'm not exactly up to the challenge. I tried going up to the undead church/parish whatever and there were a ton of skeletons that are really hard to kill.

Also, how do I kick an enemy? Do I have to unequip my weapon to do so? It said Left Stick + RB, but that just does the light attack.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

edit: Kick or lunge attack by hitting forward on the left stick and either light or strong attack (respectively). It takes a little practice to get the timing. After nearly 200 hours, I still don't always execute it correctly.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: If you're using a rapier or a curved sword it'll replace the kick with a unique attack. Other then that, flick the Left Stick Forward and quickly press RB to kick.

Bassario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bassario

Yeah the Kick and Jumping heavy attack annoy the crap out of me, I really don't like how its a certain key binding that u can't execute every time, especially in a panicky situation when u are up against the wall and rly need that kick but no, I pressed them a tiny bit too early or late coz I am under pressure and I am eating floor moss despite knowing how to get out of that situation... -_-

For new players, try the back-step (O button without holding any directions) followed but a fast attack as soon as u perform the back-step this is great for dodging certain attacks while following up with a powerful one of your own, also just sprinting at some of the slower or larger enemies and pressing attack delivers a quick and powerful attack especially with the larger and slower weapons!

Good luck, the game feels ultra hard at first but then u realize it is just all timing, if you practice the timings of your attacks and learn the timings of your enemies with enough patience it all becomes quite bearable. One of the most fun things I find is coming across new enemies out of nowhere (like the butcher dudes at the first area of the Depths) and basically screaming "SHIT SHIT SHTISHITHSHIHTIHSHIT" while dodging frantically trying to get some distance between me and him in the tight quarters to try and observe their attacks without eating shit xD

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lilbigsupermario

The jumping attack is very useful especially if you're lacking that range to hit the enemy, you'll get used to how it's executed eventually. For me, it's the most useful move and it does more damage.

As for the kick, I don't do it that much, it's finicky. I'd rather keep blocking and wait for that open opportunity to hit the enemy.

I use the kick move often though for the one sitting on the ledge before the narrow bridge at the start of New Londo. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilbigsupermario: That's exactly why I want to use it, I want to kick skeletons off of ledges.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.