Playing Dark Souls offline

#1 Posted by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

I just started playing Dark Souls, but due to my Xbox being one of the ones without WiFi and my being in a room of the house where I can't get a plug there, i am playing if offline I want to know what to expect. Also any general tips would not go amiss.

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It's not super different. You won't be able to summon human players and won't be able to be invaded. Other then that no big changes.

#3 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

People won't troll you to jump down random cliffs.

#4 Edited by Carousel (418 posts) -

You WILL still be invaded, but only by NPC black phantoms. They only spawn in specific places, if certain specific criteria are met, so it's not really a big deal.

You can also summon NPC phantoms to help, but only in boss fights.

I wouldn't recommend playing offline (since it's a huge part of the game) unless you absolutely must.

EDIT: You also won't be able to see player messages.

#5 Edited by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Offline isn't that different. Remember that you can still summon npcs to fight in bosses, and certain areas have npcs that will invade you. So you still get to experience that side of the gameplay. You might miss some secret/hidden stuff without messages to help you, so make sure to be thorough in exploring. When you play offline try to be human as much as possible, since you won't have to deal with player invaders anyway.

For general tips, remember to take things as slow as you need to and learn as much as you can from each situation. Dying is a benefit if it means you can come back into the situation later with more knowledge. If you get stuck somewhere to a point of frustration, try to go somewhere else for a bit. Usually that will mean going back to something else you previously couldn't beat. There will be plenty of stuff in the beginning that you probably won't be able to beat right away since it's your first playthrough, but remembering to retry these spots will serve as a good break from the main required stuff later on. Oh and this will probably sound random, but do not use firekeeper souls in your inventory. Take them back to the firekeeper and use the dialog to activate them. Using them yourself will waste your chance at something good.

As for general character stats stuff, endurance is very important, and never put points into resistance. The rest depends on what gear you want to use. Speaking of gear, I suggest you read item descriptions and try to piece parts of the story/lore together for fun. It's really interesting assuming you don't already know all of it.

Edit: One last word of advice, don't let anyone talk you into using the drake sword in your first playthrough. It's a great weapon in the beginning, but only really serves as training wheels that will suddenly fall off right when you are going down a steep slope. It's use falls off right as the game gets difficult, and using it means missing out on learning key skills while the game is easy.

#6 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I just started playing Dark Souls, but due to my Xbox being one of the ones without WiFi and my being in a room of the house where I can't get a plug there, i am playing if offline I want to know what to expect. Also any general tips would not go amiss.

No random black phantoms in Human form. There are NPC invades, but that's all you'll get and considering they show up in the same spot each playthrough, it's not as if you'll be invaded constantly. You won't be able to summon people if you're having problems with a boss. You'll only be able to summon NPC's to help. Other than that not much really. The game was built with a focus on single player with some multiplayer elements thrown in. Although I always say you should do your first playthrough online.

General tips:

Know what stats your weapon is based on. Having 40 Strength is useless if you're using a Katana because Katana's are Dexterity weapons. You can see what weapon is attached to what stat by looking at the bottom left corner of that weapons stat screen under ParamBonus. You'll see four icons that stand for (and in this order) Strength, Dexterity, Magic, and Faith. Whatever letter it is determines how much of a bonus you get from the stat towards the weapon's damage. (S being highest and E being lowest)

Level up your weapon. While stats will increase your damage a decent bit, the majority of your damage will come from leveling up weapons at the blacksmith.

Don't look up a guide unless you are absolutely stuck. The first playthrough is a magical experience for some players and a guide can ruin this.

Always hit chests before you open them. ALWAYS.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11406 posts) -

Don't freak out if/when you get "invaded" by an NPC invader. They're not very difficult to beat (at least the ones I found). At least not compared to the actual people who invade others in this game. Those people have been playing for years at this point and are crazy hard to beat.

Just play carefully and keep your cool. It's a challenging game, but if you approach it smartly, you'll get through just fine.

#8 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

On a positive note. You won't be invaded eight thousand times trying to summon Sunbro to help you fight O&S.

#9 Edited by colorbrandon (166 posts) -

You won't be able to pvp :(, which is a core feature

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4848 posts) -

Makes bosses potentially harder, but not really. Also removes all random multiplayer, but meh. Youll be fine.

#11 Edited by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

Some "Covenants" lose some of their functionality as you are supposed to PvP in order to get the materials you need for the rewards they offer. Every kind of material (medals, humanity, eyes, ears, scales) can eventually be farmed for though.

#12 Posted by development (2640 posts) -

People in this thread downplaying the multiplayer aspect is kind of sad. Yes, the game is great without online components, but my best memories from the game came from all the thrills co-op/invasions offered me. Find out how to get some online working, if you can. It's worth moving some furniture around or telling your roommate to move their shit for awhile.

#13 Edited by Commander_Crichton (157 posts) -

I've been playing it offline recently on the ps3 because there's either something rotten going on server side or my wifi is messing up cause when I'm online the game has all sorts of graphical glitches. I do have the benefit of playing with a character with which I've completed the game three times now so without the help of the messages and other players you're in for more of a challenge than what I faced my first time through Dark Souls. Other than the advice all these other fine duders have already given you I would say be patient and thorough, learn to backstab and counter like a motherfucker and you should do fine. Best of luck to ya.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

If you have a few bucks Id look into getting a wireless adaptor for your 360. $35 on amazon right now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000B6MLV4/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1369873343&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

#15 Posted by Sarumarine (2305 posts) -

I'd say Dark Souls offline is preferable, especially if it's your first time or you're not going crazy about it. Online opens you up to invasions, which at this point are all done by people who have figured out how to break that game and are impossible to beat unless you are as crazy as you are. Not to mention that player on player combat is pretty poor and unsatisfying. You won't be able to read player messages (which are more amusing than helpful in the long run) and some convenant stuff is locked away, but it doesn't change the heart of that game. You can get by just fine without it.

But I suppose if you like Dark Souls and what it offers, you could always try to play again when you have access to the internet.

#16 Posted by TopSteer (677 posts) -

I've been playing it offline recently on the ps3 because there's either something rotten going on server side or my wifi is messing up cause when I'm online the game has all sorts of graphical glitches.

If you're referring to the lighting issues such as bonfires and other graphics not showing or flickering, that has been recently patched and should be back to normal now.

On topic, you can only be invaded and summon phantoms if you are human which is pretty much the only advantage of being a human versus hollowed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.