PvP Tips from People that failed

#1 Edited by Lancezh (49 posts) -

I extracted some of these from my Gravelord topic, maybe its helpful to some people that try to get better at PvP. Most of this PvP Experience ( i dont level higher since i want to be able to connect still to the people) is based on 200 Hours of play and

- SL 110 Char with a Dex Build, Scythe +15 (NOT great scythe), Shotel +15, and 60+ Poise and Dark Knight Shield (against fire) and Crest Shield (vs. sorcerery). Non existant Pyromancy..., mostly Melee Darkmoon

- SL 68 Pyro End / Vitality Build, Scythe +15, Dark Knight Shield (against fire) and Crest Shield (vs. sorcerery) as Gravelord.

I NEVER use nor posess the Strong Magic Shield Tranquil Walk, Stone Sword, Fog ring or any of the stuff i dont want others to use on me.

Common Mistakes i encounter from others:(this list is by no means complete, nor am i an absolute expert, in fact most of my defeats come from usually the same people over and over since they are better than me behind the pad, however most people's defeat where unnecessary)

All these are out of actual experience:

- In PvP spear thrusts overhead slashes and other narrow slashes in the front 95% of the time fail. You need swings to get your hits registered, and range. Claymore, Scythe etc. deliver that very well. The latter is my favourite.

- Observe the hands of your enemy. Mainly what shield he uses, and prepare for it. Pyromancy, either evade or equip FireShield and so on.

- People trying to backstab me while i 2 hand my scythe. Dont try it. Ever.

- Lack of Poise. If you dont want to get into a stunlock by most weapons get yourself 60 poise. Otherwise i can even start to slash after you, which ends you up being in a stunlock.

- Greed. Some people feel like i'm a mob that only needs one more little hit when i'm low on hp. Even with 1% of health i hit with 100% of damage.

- People that follow me careless while i fake running away. What i do is i turn my camera 180° while running away until they follow me with a sprint. I click my right stick and immediately start to slash them with R1 hits since i instaturn. Only Advanced pvpers are smart enough to block that fast enough. Some try to hit back but since they are running their runningstrike is usually slower than mine.

- One trick ponies, some sorceres for instance dont know what to do when i start to block with a high res shield, no backup plan, not even Fire Damage to vary. Make sure you are suited at least with a backup plan that involves a different damagetype. (i use my shotel on my melee char mainly for Tower Shield users exactly for that fact)

- Adapt to your role. If you are an invader and cant use Flasks use the Level of the invaded against him, work with the mobs, if he's with friends, lure them into traps, there is no reason to hurry, you can make their life miserable. If you fight head on head and your only excuse is that he used flasks you dont deserve to be an invader and are only a bad loser. I still hear people complaining that its only fair that both should be able to estus. In another game maybe. Not in this. This game punishes the player for impatience, use this to your advantage.

- Against Gravelords: Time is NOT on their side although you're the invader. If you feel like you cant beat the lord: The longer they fight you the bigger the danger you get reinforcements that will help you in your struggle. Use this to force the Gravelord out of his playground, afterall he can heal himself, you cant. No shame to even the odds, he puts alot more at stakes than you.

- Don't glitch. Don't lame around with broken game mechanics (sms etc.). You can tell others as much as you want that you're a superhero you know yourself wether your fights have been proper or not, dont fool yourself. A proper win is still the best. (Plus you get better skillwise)

- Stop to Rage if you fail. Sending hate messages about "can you use something else than your scythe you fukin fak ?" or "omg pyronoob" aren't going to help. Adapt to the situation. If you show up the 2nd time with a wooden shield (no joke) you deserve to be smacked around with fire again.

V2:

- Do not telegraph your hits when you notice someone is good. Strong, slow hits are an invitation to counters (not many people do it still though) and are usually easily avoided at least. (with you losing alot of stamina still)

- The oponent has Stamina, just like you. This comes at a surprise to most people :P but if you get your opponent to swing a couple times into thin air you're at an advantage since his stamina is getting lower than yours. THIS is your time to start swinging yourself and wear his shield down. If you smash his shield open he's EMPTY dont let him recover without punishing him.

- The other side of the upper tip. Dont start to waste your stamina like an idiot into thin air. If you miss, let yourself recharge. Watch that stamina like your girlfriend in a disco.

- BLEED damage and other building up effects, if you notice that something is building up although you are blocking, you're in for a surprise if you dont start to change your tactics fast. Thats either, trying to counter (since he wants to finish what he started) or roll backwards and stay carefully out of range to let the stuff build back.

- Don't be afraid to counter in PvP. It is working. Exception: Laggy fights / people

- Test your oponent, they show their game usually after 10 seconds by either using pyro / sorc or melee. Most people dont try to figure out what the other is doing. They only see a target to hit.

- If you get Fog-Ringed and dont feel comfortable place yourself close to a wall with your back. Makes it very hard for your oponent to circle you. Danger is that your camera will rape you, but it can help. Even better: find a narrow door and play doorkeeper.

- Unless your mom screams "dinner is ready" TAKE YOUR FUCKING TIME

- If you're in a PvP Mood there's nothing stronger than Pencil and Paper as the evening progresses. Write down someones name (not mine though:) ) and their prefered method of killing you, you'll always meet twice or three times hehe.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (3183 posts) -

Nice

#3 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Have you had any experience with the Darkmoon Blade miracle? Do you know what type of damage bonus is applied and how much it is? Also, does it scale with faith?

#4 Posted by NickTheZombie (53 posts) -

@Lancezh: I have zero experience with PVP, but this thread gave me a nice glimpse into what you guys have to consider when you're invading. This whets my appetite to try it myself when I get a bit more experienced with the game. Thanks for posting!

#5 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

Thanks for the tips! I am on NG+ in Anor londo and get invaded a lot. I do pretty well but some people just destroy me.

#6 Posted by CornBREDX (5127 posts) -

Ya I always fail at PvP against good players. I'm pretty bad at it. I don't rage though, it's just a game. I actually enjoy a lot of the fights. I may be bad but I'm not stupid, although I do get nervous and sometimes make mistakes (like yesterday I went on the pathway just after the stairs in Anor Londo when invading a dark world. I should've known better, dude just used the force push thing and knocked me off haha- I laughed at myself). The way people often beat me is clever, although I'm still trying to figure out how some people get back stabs when they aren't behind me.... that must be some weird lag thing or something.

I don't know... its fun though even though I suck at it. Just wish I didn't have to wait so long to be summoned just to die hahaha

#7 Edited by Lancezh (49 posts) -

Glad you guys appreciate it, i may write some more if i can think of anything.

Expanded with the following tips:

- Do not telegraph your hits when you notice someone is good. Strong, slow hits are an invitation to counters (not many people do it still though)

- The oponent has Stamina, just like you. This comes at a surprise to most people :P but if you get your opponent to swing a couple times into thin air you're at an advantage since his stamina is getting lower than yours. THIS is your time to start swinging yourself and wear his shield down. If you smash his shield open he's EMPTY dont let him recover without punishing him.

- The other side of the upper tip. Dont start to waste your stamina like an idiot into thin air. If you miss, let yourself recharge. Watch that stamina like your girlfriend in a disco.

- BLEED damage and other building up effects, if you notice that something is building up although you are blocking, you're in for a surprise if you dont start to change your tactics fast. Thats either, trying to counter (since he wants to finish what he started) or roll backwards and stay carefully out of range to let the stuff build back.

- Don't be afraid to counter in PvP. It is working. Exception: Laggy fights / people

- Test your oponent, they show their game usually after 10 seconds by either using pyro / sorc or melee. Most people dont try to figure out what the other is doing. They only see a target to hit.

- If you get Fog-Ringed and dont feel comfortable place yourself close to a wall with your back. Makes it very hard for your oponent to circle you. Danger is that your camera will rape you, but it can help. Even better: find a narrow door and play doorkeeper.

- Unless your mom screams "dinner is ready" TAKE YOUR FUCKING TIME

- If you're in a PvP Mood there's nothing stronger than Pencil and Paper as the evening progresses. Write down someones name (not mine though:) ) and their prefered method of killing you, you'll always meet twice or three times hehe.

#8 Posted by Pieman51 (98 posts) -

Giant wall of text is Giant. I'm not a general pvp'er, but I AM invaded a LOT. So I typically just use whatever I have on me. I die about 4 times out of 10.

#9 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

Useless Post is useless again. You're offtopic again.

#10 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

@TekZero said:

Have you had any experience with the Darkmoon Blade miracle? Do you know what type of damage bonus is applied and how much it is? Also, does it scale with faith?

I unfortunately dont mate i never turned anything in to be honest at the darkmoon covenant. Maybe i should catch up on that =)

#11 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

@Lancezh said:

@TekZero said:

I unfortunately dont mate i never turned anything in to be honest at the darkmoon covenant. Maybe i should catch up on that =)

That darkmoon blade miracle has the potential to be the most powerful weapon for a faith based build. From what I was able to research, there are unconfirmed reports of the miracle applying a magic based damage bonus to a weapon that scales with faith/talisman. If I take my +15 flamberge and drop a 200pt magic damage bonus to it that scales with faith, that would be one hell of a boss/invader killer. The draw back is that there is only one charge before you need to rest at a bonfire.

Unfortunately, I'm still at the gargoyles on my newly restarted cleric/faith build, so I can't test for myself.

#12 Posted by Lancezh (49 posts) -

Well and i have 12 faith on all my chars, so no help there either =)

#13 Posted by Nux (2337 posts) -

Thease are awesome tips man. Hopefully thease can help me in my PvP matches. I'm not the best and often make dumb mistakes but even when I lose it was still fun to try to win.

#14 Posted by Maginnovision (487 posts) -

I'll say this. If you can't break their guard or get around them. You're probably just waiting to die. I haven't lost in any PVP yet. Pyro tank build. Only thing I worry about is high int sorcerers with homing soulmass since I seem to be mostly unable to hit them with anything when they charge it. In addition to pyro I use quelaags blade. Even if you have heavy armor, and havels shield, I can break your guard, and still be able to attack, or just switch to pyro with your guard down. Other tip I'd give, is if you can lag through people all the power to you. I've been backstabbed from 6 steps away while facing them, haha. Also, don't take PVP so seriously. In a game where you can go 1v4 it's sort of whatever.

#15 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

@TekZero said:

@Lancezh said:

@TekZero said:

That darkmoon blade miracle has the potential to be the most powerful weapon for a faith based build. From what I was able to research, there are unconfirmed reports of the miracle applying a magic based damage bonus to a weapon that scales with faith/talisman. If I take my +15 flamberge and drop a 200pt magic damage bonus to it that scales with faith, that would be one hell of a boss/invader killer. The draw back is that there is only one charge before you need to rest at a bonfire.

Unfortunately, I'm still at the gargoyles on my newly restarted cleric/faith build, so I can't test for myself.

38 faith. Blessed halberd +10 against iron giants, 268 dmg. Regular scythe (110 same as halberd) does 284 with dark moon blade. I might want a +15 weapon now.

#16 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

@McQuinn said:

@TekZero said:

@Lancezh said:

@TekZero said:

38 faith. Blessed halberd +10 against iron giants, 268 dmg. Regular scythe (110 same as halberd) does 284 with dark moon blade. I might want a +15 weapon now.

Now that's what I'm talking about. It looks like it's worth making a +15 just for the occasional miracle use.

#17 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

@TekZero: Problem is, one time use miracle so once it's done you gotta use what you have or try and switch in the middle of a fight.

#18 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

@McQuinn: Yeah, that's true. So it might be best to use it on a uchigatana then. Quick strikes, bleed damage, plus a fairly large burst if you time the miracle right. All it needs is some testing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.