I extracted some of these from my Gravelord topic, maybe its helpful to some people that try to get better at PvP. Most of this PvP Experience ( i dont level higher since i want to be able to connect still to the people) is based on 200 Hours of play and
- SL 110 Char with a Dex Build, Scythe +15 (NOT great scythe), Shotel +15, and 60+ Poise and Dark Knight Shield (against fire) and Crest Shield (vs. sorcerery). Non existant Pyromancy..., mostly Melee Darkmoon
- SL 68 Pyro End / Vitality Build, Scythe +15, Dark Knight Shield (against fire) and Crest Shield (vs. sorcerery) as Gravelord.
I NEVER use nor posess the Strong Magic Shield Tranquil Walk, Stone Sword, Fog ring or any of the stuff i dont want others to use on me.
Common Mistakes i encounter from others:(this list is by no means complete, nor am i an absolute expert, in fact most of my defeats come from usually the same people over and over since they are better than me behind the pad, however most people's defeat where unnecessary)
All these are out of actual experience:
- In PvP spear thrusts overhead slashes and other narrow slashes in the front 95% of the time fail. You need swings to get your hits registered, and range. Claymore, Scythe etc. deliver that very well. The latter is my favourite.
- Observe the hands of your enemy. Mainly what shield he uses, and prepare for it. Pyromancy, either evade or equip FireShield and so on.
- People trying to backstab me while i 2 hand my scythe. Dont try it. Ever.
- Lack of Poise. If you dont want to get into a stunlock by most weapons get yourself 60 poise. Otherwise i can even start to slash after you, which ends you up being in a stunlock.
- Greed. Some people feel like i'm a mob that only needs one more little hit when i'm low on hp. Even with 1% of health i hit with 100% of damage.
- People that follow me careless while i fake running away. What i do is i turn my camera 180° while running away until they follow me with a sprint. I click my right stick and immediately start to slash them with R1 hits since i instaturn. Only Advanced pvpers are smart enough to block that fast enough. Some try to hit back but since they are running their runningstrike is usually slower than mine.
- One trick ponies, some sorceres for instance dont know what to do when i start to block with a high res shield, no backup plan, not even Fire Damage to vary. Make sure you are suited at least with a backup plan that involves a different damagetype. (i use my shotel on my melee char mainly for Tower Shield users exactly for that fact)
- Adapt to your role. If you are an invader and cant use Flasks use the Level of the invaded against him, work with the mobs, if he's with friends, lure them into traps, there is no reason to hurry, you can make their life miserable. If you fight head on head and your only excuse is that he used flasks you dont deserve to be an invader and are only a bad loser. I still hear people complaining that its only fair that both should be able to estus. In another game maybe. Not in this. This game punishes the player for impatience, use this to your advantage.
- Against Gravelords: Time is NOT on their side although you're the invader. If you feel like you cant beat the lord: The longer they fight you the bigger the danger you get reinforcements that will help you in your struggle. Use this to force the Gravelord out of his playground, afterall he can heal himself, you cant. No shame to even the odds, he puts alot more at stakes than you.
- Don't glitch. Don't lame around with broken game mechanics (sms etc.). You can tell others as much as you want that you're a superhero you know yourself wether your fights have been proper or not, dont fool yourself. A proper win is still the best. (Plus you get better skillwise)
- Stop to Rage if you fail. Sending hate messages about "can you use something else than your scythe you fukin fak ?" or "omg pyronoob" aren't going to help. Adapt to the situation. If you show up the 2nd time with a wooden shield (no joke) you deserve to be smacked around with fire again.
- Do not telegraph your hits when you notice someone is good. Strong, slow hits are an invitation to counters (not many people do it still though) and are usually easily avoided at least. (with you losing alot of stamina still)
- The oponent has Stamina, just like you. This comes at a surprise to most people :P but if you get your opponent to swing a couple times into thin air you're at an advantage since his stamina is getting lower than yours. THIS is your time to start swinging yourself and wear his shield down. If you smash his shield open he's EMPTY dont let him recover without punishing him.
- The other side of the upper tip. Dont start to waste your stamina like an idiot into thin air. If you miss, let yourself recharge. Watch that stamina like your girlfriend in a disco.
- BLEED damage and other building up effects, if you notice that something is building up although you are blocking, you're in for a surprise if you dont start to change your tactics fast. Thats either, trying to counter (since he wants to finish what he started) or roll backwards and stay carefully out of range to let the stuff build back.
- Don't be afraid to counter in PvP. It is working. Exception: Laggy fights / people
- Test your oponent, they show their game usually after 10 seconds by either using pyro / sorc or melee. Most people dont try to figure out what the other is doing. They only see a target to hit.
- If you get Fog-Ringed and dont feel comfortable place yourself close to a wall with your back. Makes it very hard for your oponent to circle you. Danger is that your camera will rape you, but it can help. Even better: find a narrow door and play doorkeeper.
- Unless your mom screams "dinner is ready" TAKE YOUR FUCKING TIME
- If you're in a PvP Mood there's nothing stronger than Pencil and Paper as the evening progresses. Write down someones name (not mine though:) ) and their prefered method of killing you, you'll always meet twice or three times hehe.