Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Questions About the Online

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

Hello!

So I haven't my copy of the game yet, since I live in Sweden, but I have a couple of questions regarding the online aspects of Dark Souls.

• If I'm online on XBL, does that automaticly put me as playing the game online and subject of potential invasions?
    • Does playing online (and thusly subject of invasions) have any benefits, such as better loot, more souls, etc?
    • If someone invades me and slaughter me, do I get pushed back to the latest fire I visited, like when I die to the AI?
    • If playing offline mode (if there's an option), can I still read/leave messages?

I like the aspect of PvP and such, but can also see massive opportunities to griefing by idiots. I don't want to be fighting a difficult mob or huge boss, only to have someone invade my game, kill me, and push me back to a checkpoint.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Wemibelle

- Yes, being online automatically puts you online in the game  

- Playing online gives you access to user messages and lets you invite friendly players into your game to help when needed.  As far as I know, the loot/souls doesn't change when playing online. 

- I haven't had it happen yet but I would assume that yes, dying to another player would set you back to your last bonfire. 

- Playing offline turns off all messages, except for the preset developer ones.  There is no way for the game to pull those messages from the Internet if you aren't signed in and there isn't an offline mode.  Forced to go all the way or not at all. 

You can feel a little better about spiteful players if you choose to keep your character as undead (i.e. not Reverting to Human at bonfires).  If you aren't human, none of the player interaction is accessible, except for the messages.  From how your post sounded, this seems like the best option for you.
    Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Timing
    I see the questions have already been answered as I was posting this, so see also the answers of the dude above, but basically you'll probably spend 90+% of your time in Hollow form, which means you can't be invaded. So I wouldn't worry too much about griefing.

@Cincaid said:
    • If I'm online on XBL, does that automaticly put me as playing the game online and subject of potential invasions?
    Only if you're in human form which, honestly, probably won't be very often. If you're human though you'll also be able to summon helpers.
    • Does playing online (and thusly subject of invasions) have any benefits, such as better loot, more souls, etc?
    No better loot or souls, but being able to read messages, see other players and see bloodstains will definitely help you.
    • If someone invades me and slaughter me, do I get pushed back to the latest fire I visited, like when I die to the AI?
    Yes. 
    • If playing offline mode (if there's an option), can I still read/leave messages?
    No.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cincaid

@wemibelec90: @Timing: Thank you for answering!

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By CptBedlam

@Cincaid: It should be mentioned that you have to have XBL gold. You probably meant that by saying "I'm online"... but just in case, since you can be online for free on XBL as well.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By jacksukeru

@Cincaid: Also, a player can't invade you, or if one has invaded you they will be kicked out, once you've entered a room with a boss encounter.

Fun stuff: I didn't know this while playing Demon's Souls but enemies won't attack an invading player. Keep this in mind if being invaded as your foe will definetly try to make use of it (and make use of it yourself while invading other people's realms).

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cincaid

@CptBedlam: Ah, cheers for the heads up, but yeah I have gold. :)

@RockmanBionics: That's what I mean! Griefing at its finest, haha. Good to know they can't invade during boss battles though.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By eroticfishcake

I could be wrong in this but from what I hear the higher humanity you have the higher the chance that enemies will drop loot so that's one of the incentives to play in human form. Also, being in hollow form gives a slight penalty to your stats. I haven't played it yet since I live in Europe so I can't confirm.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By daiphyer

I have a question, but not gonna open a new thread.

Can you invite your friends to help you out with bosses, or is the player summoning completely anonymous?

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By plop1920

@CptBedlam: I actually don't think this is true. I am a silver member, and I've been able to summon a white spirit / ghost / w.e its called to help me out. I am also able to see other ghosts walking around and read messages on the floor. Maybe it's a bug or something? I don't have any more humanity to try and summon another white spirit but I can definitely use all the other online features.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ervonymous

@plop1920: Wow, really? I'm excited to finally get my hands on a Souls game but I'm not going to renew my gold just for it.. at least not right away. That would be awesome but it just can't be for real.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

@plop1920 said:

@CptBedlam: I actually don't think this is true. I am a silver member, and I've been able to summon a white spirit / ghost / w.e its called to help me out. I am also able to see other ghosts walking around and read messages on the floor. Maybe it's a bug or something? I don't want to use any more humanity to find out lol

I heard you can summon AI controlled phantoms to help you. That's how the game works when it's played offline - and probably also when played with XBL silver. Also, the developers have put messages in the game as well for offline play.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By plop1920

@CptBedlam: I'm not sure if it was AI, I mean the guy had a pretty bad internet type nickname for his character. Also as soon as he got in he started to do random stuff like trying to hit me/ kept spamming taunts.

And the messages I see all have ratings and they're just too specific to be put there by the developer, one of them was off on a ledge that you could only get off to by falling, but I didn't want to get it cause there was no way back up lol

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By plop1920

@ervonymous: Yeah, I only tried the co-op once and we immediately died on the boss so I don't have any humanity to try it again lol

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Daiphyer said:

Can you invite your friends to help you out with bosses, or is the player summoning completely anonymous?

No you can't invite from your friends list.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By jacksukeru

@Daiphyer said:

If it's like Demon's Souls, a player that wants to be summoned places a mark at a specific point in the level, they can only do this while dead/hollowed and you can only see these while you are alive/human as well as being within a level range of 10. From the mark you will be given a little bit of information, among this is the players name. This means that it's technically possible for a friend to place down a marker and the other to choose to summon him or her by accessing the right marker.

I haven't tried this myself though and I don't know if all markers are visable to all players at all times. I've definetly seen bloodstains and messages fade in and out over time while playing Demon's Souls.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CptBedlam

@plop1920 said:

@CptBedlam: I'm not sure if it was AI, I mean the guy had a pretty bad internet type nickname for his character. Also as soon as he got in he started to do random stuff like trying to hit me/ kept spamming taunts.

And the messages I see all have ratings and they're just too specific to be put there by the developer, one of them was off on a ledge that you could only get off to by falling, but I didn't want to get it cause there was no way back up lol

Interesting... are you sure you don't have gold by accident or anything? If this is true, that'd be awesome.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By plop1920
    @CptBedlam No you're totally right, I thought I had canceled it but apparently I only changed the subscription plan!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.