Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Rare Items/Helpful Info

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Tenryu

Just thought I'd compile some information about items I've found and useful information I've picked up/discovered on my journey through Dark Souls ^___^! Sorry for inaccuracies in names, as well as word walls >_<... I'll see about modifying/editing the way this information looks over time as it builds up if people find the info useful enough for me to make that happen ;3

Rare Items:

Black Bow of Pharis--> Initially I had a lot of trouble trying to find this bow. Information points towards an archer in the forest. This is true, mainly the easiest way to go about getting this is to get access to the heart of the forest near the cliff farming spot for 20k. There is an archer on the right after entering near a small hill that is almost invisible, this is your mark. Many people say they only spawn once, this is true to some extent. If they roll off the cliff and die they will respawn in my experience so far. The only way to get this bow is to kill them yourself, no cliffs ;3 I'd recommend clearing out most of the area first so you don't aggro all the mobs. Pharis likes to block and roll a lot so try to steer her to where you need her to be to avoid aggro, going off a cliff or you get the unfortunate pleasure of heading to your bonefire and clearing the area to try again >_<...

--If Pharis rolls off a cliff immediately quit and reload, it happened to me 2x, so I wonder if that makes it so she respawns again, hasn't respawned for me after pummeling her.

Server--> Located in the hellish swamp below Blight Town near a group of leeches. No idea on the general direction so just aim for leech hordes, I just got it wandering through the poison wonderland and exploring.

Eagle Shield-->Blight Town upper levels, you'll come to an area that goes out onto a stone walkway. Really nice larger shield, 100% phys block.

Covetous Gold Serpent Ring-->Sen's Fortress off a corpse in one of the rooms as I recall that you open up moving changing the direction of the boulder device.

Shadow Armor(Ninja Suit)-->Found in Blight Town, near the front entrance at the first bonfire. Take the ladder up nearby and you should have a corpse in the surrounding area up on one of the platforms with it.

Lightning Spear-->Sen's Fortress, from the mimic (demon treasure chest). Yes it will pretty much one shot kill you if you try to open this chest without checking it by hitting it. Spell cast the hell out of this box if you're able to, its grapple will also one shot you more or less >_<... I'd recommend to start checking the treasure chests from now on into all further areas, they're sprinkled around now. You can tell based on the color though it's a bit different than the chests you're used to up to this point.

Dragon Crest Shield / Astora Straight Sword-->Both of these items can be found in Drake Valley near the Plague Dragon. If you've got the master key you can get here rather easily by taking the shortcut from Firelink-->New Lando Ruins elevator down.

Blood Shield-->Found it in the Painted World, rumor is it stops the bleeding on the scythe made from Priscilla's soul. Can't confirm yet gotta finish the stage, still exploring ;3

Useful Information Tips:

Pyromancy is amazing if you're more melee based like my character. It literally at this point with a +14 pyro flame and my base int stats on my thief one shots silver knights/gargoyles in Anor Lando with a single fire orb. You can initially unlock the basic trainer on the way to the Depths, they're stuck in a room with a bunch of barrels. As they say, do a barrel roll and free them! You can unlock the second pyro trainer by upgrading your pyro flame to +10. They're located next to a pillar in the swamp below Blight Town near Queelag's Domain. Use the shortcut in Drake Valley if you have a master key. When you unlock the 2nd tier pyro instructor don't tell yours back at Firelink about her or he'll go getting himself killed >_<

Master Key--> Made of awesome, it's an amazing gift that you can't find in game and generally just makes things more conveniant. It saves you from having to do a frontal assault on Blight Town, which I think in itself justifies getting it as an item for those of us that have been here >_>...

Heart of the Forest access for 20k from the blacksmith near the area will open up a world of farming that makes the game manageable again and not torture. There's a hidden bonfire to the left of the door through an invisible wall.

Drake Sword-->Get this sword asap from the red dragon by sniping its tail, common info. GET IT NAO it makes life much easier early till you can get to some better weapons.

You never have souls or humanity ever. Those numbers? Yeah they're a zero. Get used to losing all your stuff, because you never had it to begin with, rather zen in a sense. The only time you have souls is when you specifically go to farm an area then proceed to spend the souls.

Sad face to find out but I've missed some AI Black Phantom invasions. One of them is Kirk or something that drops the thorn gear. Apparently the first time is somewhere in the Depths and I never triggered him spawning since I was hollowed at the time T.T just a heads up...

Greatest thing ever though if you break a convenant is to absolve yourself at the church where you beat the Belfrey Gargoyle. I made Alvina quite angry with me for killing her ninja for his ring and talking to her. She disappeared after the conversation but reappeared later after the absolution. Absolving costs 2k x your soul level so get farming!

-Painted World Priscilla- For those of you near the painted world or getting to it the boss like other dragon types has a tail that can be cut off if you choose to engage her since you have the option not to fight her. The main trick here is that she's invisible >_<... As if things couldn't be difficult enough on a boss lol. The trick I found out after dying a few times to her is that if you'll notice you're on a snow area when fighting her and as you fight her footprints are left where she moves, you as well though. Once you get the hang of it you just have to attack near her footprints enough to reveal her then it's just a matter of smacking the invisi-snow queen's tail off/killing her.

--Stat Scaling/Elemental Weapons-- (Word Wall Incoming)-- The debate on these is rather interesting as for those of us used to Demon's Souls, we basically had to plan to build more or less a pure stat type with mixed secondaries for equip requirements. I'm beginning to doubt this is the case while assembling some of the what we might classify as end-game and boss soul weapons. For the most part most of the scaling on them tends to be around B, give or take, which when compared to the ridiculously high stats on some of the elemental weapons makes them almost subpar by comparison in at least the 50 range. I've been sitting at 45 for most of the game up to the painted world and finally dumped a few points to up myself to 50 but this seems to be the trend so I'm not sure if more points will change this or not. It's honestly making me think about straying from my plans to go heavy dex and play a mixed game, maybe even get crazy and max int if my later tests about pyromancy scaling proves fruitful. Mainly because pyromancy is absolutely amazing, and if sorcery is as good as I hear at times it gives me some variety there. Also I just want to put this out there, endurance is also in my considerations because it's like the best damn stat just about in my opinion lol. Mainly because unlike Demon's Souls it's not as much of a dodge fest game for me, more of a block game with how dodge seems to function in Dark Souls. What's the point of trying to dodge some attacks when I can be absolutely safe on a lot of attacks with a block and then follow up more safely into a counter. Bottom line though, couple points into attunement if you're a melee having trouble and get pyromancy since 3 spell slots is easy to get. It is literally amazing to the point of how did you play the game before it at times mixed with melee play.

--Well that's it for now, more as I update, may have to turn it into a guide if people find the information generally helpful ;3 I also can only post 5 times a day since I'm a forum nub so I apologize for the slowness in responses.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By white

@Tenryu said:

Black Bow of Pharis--> Initially I had a lot of trouble trying to find this bow. Information points towards an archer in the forest. This is true, mainly the easiest way to go about getting this is to get access to the heart of the forest near the cliff farming spot for 20k. There is an archer on the right after entering near a small hill that is almost invisible, this is your mark. Many people say they only spawn once, this is true to some extent. If they roll off the cliff and die they will respawn in my experience so far. The only way to get this bow is to kill them yourself, no cliffs ;3 I'd recommend clearing out most of the area first so you don't aggro all the mobs. Pharis likes to block and roll a lot so try to steer her to where you need her to be to avoid aggro, going off a cliff or you get the unfortunate pleasure of heading to your bonefire and clearing the area to try again >_<...

Server--> Located in the hellish swamp below Blight Town near a group of leeches. No idea on the general direction so just aim for leech hordes, I just got it wandering through the poison wonderland and exploring.

You shit me. Fuck. I died to this guy, only cause I rolled off the cliff with her together. And she NEVER respawns.

God damn I was wondering where was that Bow of Pharis... =<

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tenryu

@White:

That's weird I've killed her twice having her go off a cliff o.o The only time she didn't respawn for me was after i pummeled her to death.

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JoeMarsden
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Tenryu: You seem to know a lot! Can you help me out with a couple things? I'm looking for the composite bow and wondering what a good heavy armor set would be, I got the Gold Hemmed Robe and it's got better base def than the Elite Knight Armor but I kinda want something with poise and have been pumping endurance for the equip weight. I'm currently at Sen's Fortress.
    Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tenryu

@SuperfluousMoniker: Not entirely sure on the composite bow I don't seem to have it at this point in time. If you're looking for heavier armor though the next area you go to Anor Lando is basically hitting the lottery for heavy armor. You can pick up Havel's armor here through a illusion wall in a fireplace you'll come across. You can also find the Black Iron armor here too in a large church building you'll come across later in the level. Anor Land is pretty hard though due to some of how the level is setup, I'm finding it harder than Blight Town so far. Once you get inside it gets way better which is where you start finding these armor pieces hope that helps ;3

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Tenryu: Damn... Cleared out that area several times without realizing there was one last...ghost, thing, person?...and when I finally found her and commenced to whompin', she rolled off the cliff behind her. She has not respawned since. Balls.

Not that I actually need or would even use the bow...

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Tenryu: Thanks!
    white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By white

@Tenryu said:

@White:

That's weird I've killed her twice having her go off a cliff o.o The only time she didn't respawn for me was after i pummeled her to death.

I have combed the area many times hoping to kill her to farm souls since she drops 5k. But I never located her ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@White: When I finally found her, she was in the back of the area, to the right of the bandit standing in front of the crumbling structure. She's near the edge of the cliff, hiding amongst trees. You'll know you've found her when a shitload of arrows flight at you seemingly out of nowhere.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By white

@MagusMaleficus: She's invisible like the thief and the knight with the giant 2-hander right? I REALLY can't find her, lest aggro her - not even the invisible knight is there.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

What are the negative effects of cancelling a Covenant to join another? 

And I should have gone for the Master Key gift instead of the Witch's Ring. Oh well. I'm in Blighttown, too.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By bcjohnnie

@Tenryu said:

Lightning Spear-->Sen's Fortress, from the mimic (demon treasure chest). Yes it will pretty much one shot kill you if you try to open this chest without checking it by hitting it. Spell cast the hell out of this box if you're able to, its grapple will also one shot you more or less >_<... I'd recommend to start checking the treasure chests from now on into all further areas, they're sprinkled around now. You can tell based on the color though it's a bit different than the chests you're used to up to this point.

I'm pissed off about this one. I knew that chest was a mimic, poked it first and started fighting it, then rolled into the hole in the corner and died... but while I was dying I thought I saw something strange on the screen... couldn't be sure though.

Sure enough, next time I go down there, no mimic... turns out he followed me into the pit and died as well, so I can't ever get that spear... which I hear is super useful in anor londo. I'll manage, but man there are some messed up ways to lose out on items in this game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@White: Well, more like Predator-style translucent, but yes--hard to spot. It's because they are members of the forest covenant and all have rings that grant them translucency. You can get a similar ring if you join the covenant, although I think killing those dudes might hurt your chances (don't know that for sure).

James5955

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By James5955

Tyvm for this post! Fought with the mimic that had the lightning spear once before, died and avoided it. Went back, got it, and love it!

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By white

@MagusMaleficus said:

@White: Well, more like Predator-style translucent, but yes--hard to spot. It's because they are members of the forest covenant and all have rings that grant them translucency. You can get a similar ring if you join the covenant, although I think killing those dudes might hurt your chances (don't know that for sure).

Don't worry. The game somehow hurt my chances of getting it...

White said:

I feel so betrayed.

I joined up with Alvina, the talking cat and and devoted to being a loyal bitch. Even killed someone for her. But one fine day, after coming back from being summoned to defeat Sif, I found myself getting +2000 from walking on across a bridge. I thought to myself "Oh fuck, did a forest toon walked off a cliff?". Like sure enough, I talked to Alvina and she said I betrayed the clan. What the fuck?! I didn't betray no one. Your freaking mushrooms just walked right off!

I just... Urgh. I'm going to be hunted now aren't I?

EDIT: Also, I got a Sunlight Medal from helping some guy kill Sif - even though I'm not part of that Sunlight convenant.

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By proflate

WOAH. I was just googling how to get that damn bow and here it is. Stupid official guide didn't even say anything about Pharis.

Thanks dog.

Tenryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tenryu

@FluxWaveZ: The main effect that results from breaking a convenant is having the npcs turn hostile towards you and being put into the book of the guilty. To my understanding you can avoid this if you want to leave the convenant peacefully without killing one of the npcs for an item or being put into the book of the guilty by heading to the church and talking to the npc near the first bell of awakening. Here he has an option to leave a convenant which seems to be a way to leave without any penalties. If you still have issues you can absolve yourself of sin, mainly breaking the convenants or their rules by paying the guy 2k x your soul level. The witch's ring helps later after killing Quelaag because you can talk to an npc which has access to some pyromancy, mainly just saves you some hassle is all.

Also someone else here mentioned missing the lightning spear, a hassle but you can make one yourself by getting a normal weapon to +10 of your choosing and then upgrading it, I believe at the one near Sen's Fortress >>? I'll have to double check later if this is the guy that allows you to do so might be one of the others ;3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.