Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

S-Ranking Dark Souls?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gatehouse

I don’t think I’I've played any game this generation this generation more than Dark Souls. Over 200 hundred hours in Lordran, and the game’s pull is as strong as ever.

Finally though, I decided it was time to complete the game on an achievement level too. Trouble is, this is a quest that takes for-bloody-ever, especially when you don’t think about this on the first playthrough and cash in Sif’s soul like a muppet. In order to get that S-Rank, I’m going to have to go into the heady heights NG+++.

So, has anyone else become the Dark Soul on here, and if so, how long did it take you?

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes, I did it twice, once on 360 and once on PC. It didn't take me that long, I knew the game pretty well at the time when I started to get all the achievements. It took me maybe 40 hours to get all the neccessary boss souls and get to the blacksmith in NG++. What was most time consuming was getting the magic guys in the Duke's archives to drop their trident. Ironically enough: I started another build recently, the very first channelor on the way to the gargoyles dropped the trident ;-) .

Another note: The added areas (PC version, DLC on consoles) make it way easier to get all the elemental weapons in the first playthrough. You get a free extra normal, white and blue titanite slab there. I farmed the darkwraiths in the New Londo ruins to get all the titanite (chunks, slabs) in a very short time.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Yeah, I got all the achievements on the PC version. I started numerous new characters after beating the game the first time so I don't know how long it would take if you were just to make a beeline for the S-rank.

For what it's worth, I've spent over 300 hours on Dark Souls proper (and many, MANY more watching people stream it) and I'm still feeling a strong inclination to go back to it at some point... and I probably will, closer to the launch of Dark Souls 2.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don’t think I’I've played any game this generation this generation more than Dark Souls. Over 200 hundred hours in Lordran, and the game’s pull is as strong as ever.

Finally though, I decided it was time to complete the game on an achievement level too. Trouble is, this is a quest that takes for-bloody-ever, especially when you don’t think about this on the first playthrough and cash in Sif’s soul like a muppet. In order to get that S-Rank, I’m going to have to go into the heady heights NG+++.

So, has anyone else become the Dark Soul on here, and if so, how long did it take you?

I got all of the achievements on the 360. I don't remember how long it took me, but the last pieces of the puzzle were the Channeler's Trident and some of the Stone Knight drops.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

I did a lot of over leveling in my first playthrough and got an S rank at around 180 hours. I got 2 more characters now and 300 hours. If you really want to save some time you could probably find someone to give you a Sif weapon.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

I did it, probably around 100 hours to get to the s-rank.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

I did it twice. Xbox and PC.

Something like 150 hours the first time, without wiki assistance.

About 70 or 80 the second time.

S-rank is achievable by NG++.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By peritus

I got real close, needed one more Cif kill and a few loose weapons. And then just 1 more miracle wich i had all the prerequisites done for. Then my (launch) PS3 crashed and i lost the save : (

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ezekiel

I have all the weapons and armors in like five files. I get the spells (except those I can't afford in the first playthrough) and tails in every playthrough now (NG++++etc.). Except for Priscilla's, because she's nice. I only need one of her daggers and two souls. One for the soul weapon and one as a collector's item. I'm an obsessive completionist.

chkdsk1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got all the trophies on my ps3 version(I also have it on pc) on ng++ on my main build, don't know how many hours it took me because I did a lot of pvp.

In my opinion the big leap happens on the first ng+, the later ones are little increments so give it a try!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm real close i think, all i need are the more tedious ones involving weapons i believe.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I ended up meeting a true bro who gave me the Moonlight Great Sword and Priscilla's Dagger in exchange for something like the Dark Hand and something else that I can't remember, which helped me immensely considering I couldn't get them on my own because I absolutely suck at cutting the tail off in those two boss fights in particular. The rest was more of a time sink that being actually difficult.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nekroskop

No thanks. Even the thought of S-ranking Dark Souls makes me have flashbacks of getting pure bladestone for the last trophy I had left in Demons Souls. I had to grind for 50 hours to get it.

Never again. Really made me take a long, hard think about achivements/trophies in general.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Thing is that I liked (still do, actually) to create lots of different characters that would eventually play very differently come the latter stages of the game, so I had all those souls on different guys plenty of times. At that point I just asked a friend if he would trade with me. At least that's what I did on the PC version, for my platinum trophy on PS3 I was already pretty far in NG+ with a very high level character and eventually decided to do it the hard way. :P

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jclane said:

I ended up meeting a true bro who gave me the Moonlight Great Sword and Priscilla's Dagger in exchange for something like the Dark Hand and something else that I can't remember, which helped me immensely considering I couldn't get them on my own because I absolutely suck at cutting the tail off in those two boss fights in particular. The rest was more of a time sink that being actually difficult.

If only I could do that, I'm no such a high level that I never run into summon signs, apart from the NPC ones.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thanks. Even the thought of S-ranking Dark Souls makes me have flashbacks of getting pure bladestone for the last trophy I had left in Demons Souls. I had to grind for 50 hours to get it.

Never again. Really made me take a long, hard think about achivements/trophies in general.

What?

Did you not put Demon's Soul in pure black?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nekroskop

@doctorchimp: I did. This was pre-whatever is the new patch.

At least I got to watch a ton of Sopranos.

chkdsk1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorchimp:

Farming the pure bladestone was a nightmare, it took me something like 10 hours :/

Dark Souls is not that stingy with the upgrade materials thankfully, they even give you at least 1 slab of every type per playtrought.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.