Sauna

#1 Edited by Finch (96 posts) -

Having recently completed Dark Souls I've begun to really miss its dank morbidity engulfing my every thought day and night. Tonight I watched Sauna, a Finnish film that exudes a similar hopelessness to the world of Dark Souls. The shots are grainy and de-saturated, the characters speak with the same hollow forlornness and nothing even remotely sweet or nice happens. Its utterly depressing. But some of the best films are.

Obviously no 90-minute movie could compare to 70+ hours of traipsing through the bleak hell that is Lordran, but that's probably a good thing. If you've come close to going hollow and enjoyed it, I'd recommend this film.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8IqpZc8Fo

Anyone else got any movies/books etc that remind them of Dark/Demon Souls? It's been a few weeks now but I can't help but think there's really not another experience like it out there with the exception of Demon Souls I guess.

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Finch said:

Having recently completed Dark Souls I've begun to really miss its dank morbidity engulfing my every thought day and night. Tonight I watched Sauna, a Finnish film that exudes a similar hopelessness to the world of Dark Souls. The shots are grainy and de-saturated, the characters speak with the same hollow forlornness and nothing even remotely sweet or nice happens. Its utterly depressing. But some of the best films are.

Obviously no 90-minute movie could compare to 70+ hours of traipsing through the bleak hell that is Lordran, but that's probably a good thing. If you've come close to going hollow and enjoyed it, I'd recommend this film.

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si8IqpZc8Fo

Anyone else got any movies/books etc that remind them of Dark/Demon Souls? It's been a few weeks now but I can't help but think there's really not another experience like it out there with the exception of Demon Souls I guess.

This has nothing to do or has any feel connected to Dark Souls/Demon souls. It seems more like some overly gorey movie. It was a short trailer so maybe its not giving the full feeling.

#3 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

Oh, I also love a vehemently morose film or two (though, it's not restricted to films, of course.). I watched Blue Valentine last night, and boy-o, that film is overwhelmingly bleak and probably a little needlessly misandristic. But, alas, it's not quite as glum as Dark Souls. Hmm... you could try playing I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. The game is fairly miserable and deals with some rather 'mature' material.

#4 Posted by Finch (96 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, the trailer doesn't really do it justice (what trailer ever does?) I'd recommend watching the movie before drawing comparisons between the two, though it's entirely possible you'll still feel there's no connection between them.

@mylifeforAiur said:

Oh, I also love a vehemently morose film or two (though, it's not restricted to films, of course.). I watched Blue Valentine last night, and boy-o, that film is overwhelmingly bleak and probably a little needlessly misandristic. But, alas, it's not quite as glum as Dark Souls. Hmm... you could try playing I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. The game is fairly miserable and deals with some rather 'mature' material.

Any ideas how I can get hold of this game for Mac? I'm a big point-and-click fan. Thanks for the recommendation.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@Finch said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, the trailer doesn't really do it justice (what trailer ever does?) I'd recommend watching the movie before drawing comparisons between the two, though it's entirely possible you'll still feel there's no connection between them.

@mylifeforAiur said:

Oh, I also love a vehemently morose film or two (though, it's not restricted to films, of course.). I watched Blue Valentine last night, and boy-o, that film is overwhelmingly bleak and probably a little needlessly misandristic. But, alas, it's not quite as glum as Dark Souls. Hmm... you could try playing I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. The game is fairly miserable and deals with some rather 'mature' material.

Any ideas how I can get hold of this game for Mac? I'm a big point-and-click fan. Thanks for the recommendation.

I got turned off movies like that since Dead Men walking. WAY to much un needed gore kinda pissed me off.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Korean thrillers like "The Chaser" and "I Saw the Devil" certainly depress me.

Or perhaps the JCVD classic "Cyborg?" Why I thought of that, I have no idea.

#7 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

I'm not a fan of too much gore in movies, but I'd also like to see a movie with a similar tone as Dark/Demon's Souls.

#8 Posted by HotSauceMagik (264 posts) -

I have yet to play either of them, but from the outside, The Witcher games seems to follow a similar style. Any thoughts?

#9 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

@HotSauceMagik said:

I have yet to play either of them, but from the outside, The Witcher games seems to follow a similar style. Any thoughts?

No, nothing like that. Sure, the Witcher mythos has some dark stuff in it like racism and prostitution, but we have that here too. Apart from a few grim looking demons the world of Witcher really is a neat place. Dark Souls however is so bleak and oppressively depressing that nothing I've seen compares to it. The style of the architecture, monsters and music all work together to make you feel bad and that's extra on the whole idea of you dying a billion times.

#10 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@Finch: Thanks for the suggestion. I read up on the movie a bit and people compare it to Jacob's Ladder. I'll definitely watch it some time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.