Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Second Dark Souls Review is in.

• 64 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Famitsu gave it a 37/40. It seems they like it better then Demon's Souls which got a 27/40 so I guess the changes From Software made set very well with them. On any case I am super pumped for this game. I just know it's going to be my main game this winter. For now I only found the review score, I haven't seen any translation of the actual written review yet but I hope someone will post it soon.

Well I hope this time Dark Souls will get it's fare chance here on GB and maybe we can see a decent review. Maybe Dave can review it. I personally feel he is the only one to give a real try.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Hi_Voltg3

Have you played Demon's Souls before? I don't have a PS3 but i've seen various bits of what my brother was playing. It seemed really cool and I am interested in this quite a bit. I understand you go from level to level until you kill a boss but was it a long enough game to justify the 60 bucks? I'd rather hear from players than the reviews. Thanks in advance!
    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's not as if I wasn't gonna buy this game anyway, but that's really good news. 

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marcsman

Really a 27/40? 
    That's really lowballing it
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai

@Hi_Voltg3: I have about 271 hours across 2 characters in Demon's Souls and it was worth every penny I paid for it. JUst check out it's page here and you'll get a better understanding of the game. The game is also now on Greatest Hits so you can get for $19 in most places. But you better hurry. The online servers are scheduled to be permanently closed at some point next month. You'll still be able to play the SP but you'll have no online interaction. On any case I recommend you play through Demon's Souls at least once if you are interested in Dark Souls. It would give you a better understanding of the game.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Is it October 4th yet? No? Then I'm going back to sleep.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mordukai

@SteamPunkJin said:

Is it October 4th yet? No? Then I'm going back to sleep.

Good idea.

Hi_Voltg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hi_Voltg3
    @Mordukai
    Thanks, my brother still has it so I will give it a whirl when I get home later. I was debating this or RAGE but this looks way better for me personally.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

@Mordukai said:

The online servers are scheduled to be permanently closed at some point next month.

Do you think they'll really do it? They've already extended the life of the servers twice (I believe) when their time came to get shut down. I hope they do that again, otherwise I have a shit load of playing to do to get my Platinum trophy before that happens.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ventilaator
    @Mordukai said:

Well I hope this time Dark Souls will get it's fare chance here on GB and maybe we can see a decent review.

Ha. While we're at it, I wish a hot cup of tea delivered to me in the morning by Master Chief on an unicorn.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mordukai

@benjaebe: I don't remember where I read it but I am sure Atlus that when Dark Souls comes out the servers for Demon's Souls will be shut down for good. I have no idea what's going on with the asian servers though. Sony or whoever runs them, might just keep them on. Lets hope that Atlus will do the right thing and keep them on or at least sell it to a company that can. I also remember something about Atlus not having the funds to keep them open.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

@Ventilaator said:

@Mordukai said:

Well I hope this time Dark Souls will get it's fare chance here on GB and maybe we can see a decent review.

Ha. While we're at it, I wish a hot cup of tea delivered to me in the morning by Master Chief on an unicorn.

LMFAO!!!!!!

I have that image in my head now with the theme for Halo playing in the background.

Thanks for the good laugh.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jozzy

Nice to see the early reviews are positive. This is the first gameI have ever pre-ordered, can't frikking wait to lose myself into this (don't have a ps3).

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mordukai

@jozzy said:

Nice to see the early reviews are positive. This is the first gameI have ever pre-ordered, can't frikking wait to lose myself into this (don't have a ps3).

So I take it you did not play Demon's Souls?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jozzy

@Mordukai said:

@jozzy said:

No I haven't, but it's the game that made it the hardest to resist getting a ps3. Glad they decided to go multiplatform for this one.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

@jozzy said:

@Mordukai said:

@jozzy said:

No I haven't, but it's the game that made it the hardest to resist getting a ps3. Glad they decided to go multiplatform for this one.

Huh, ok. Just remember to take your time and don't get discourage when you die 19 time on the tutorial level...LOL. JK.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Origina1Penguin

@Mordukai said:

Maybe Dave can review it. I personally feel he is the only one to give a real try.

Vinny played a bunch of Demon's Souls and talked about it extensively on the Bombcast. I don't know what Dave's opinion was on it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

@Origina1Penguin said:

@Mordukai said:

Maybe Dave can review it. I personally feel he is the only one to give a real try.

Vinny played a bunch of Demon's Souls and talked about it extensively on the Bombcast. I don't know what Dave's opinion was on it.

I remember that. However, Vinny can get rather...lazy!?...How about I just call it procrastination...when it comes to reviewing games. After all wasn't he suppose to review DA2 and he kept saying that he is going to finish it and never did. I just feel Dave will actually go through the game even if he ends up hating it. I always get that vibe from Vinny that he just doesn't like reviewing games. He seems he much rather play them for the sake of fun and not for the sake of reviewing it.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Mordukai said:

Famitsu gave it a 37/40. It seems they like it better then Demon's Souls which got a 27/40 so I guess the changes From Software made set very well with them. On any case I am super pumped for this game. I just know it's going to be my main game this winter. For now I only found the review score, I haven't seen any translation of the actual written review yet but I hope someone will post it soon.

Well I hope this time Dark Souls will get it's fare chance here on GB and maybe we can see a decent review. Maybe Dave can review it. I personally feel he is the only one to give a real try.

Brad is going to review it on giantbomb and give it 2 stars. ;)

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai

@GuyIncognito said:

@Mordukai said:

I would LOVE to see brad playing it. I would actually pay to watch a QL of brad playing Dark Souls. I will end up wetting myself because of laughing too much. It would be basically watching him die every 3 seconds.

Brad: Over here I'll show how the combat...ohh fuck, ph fuck I am gonna die, I'm gonna die, aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm dead.

Brad: Hopefully now I'll get through this so I can...*brad gets invaded*...Ohh shit I got invaded OK lets see if I can...NO I'm dead.

Brad: You can also do combat rolls, let me show you. *brad continue to roll right off of a cliff*

Brad: Let run away from this enemy because my health is really low *brad runs right off of ledge*

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GuyIncognito

@Mordukai said:

@GuyIncognito said:

@Mordukai said:

I would LOVE to see brad playing it. I would actually pay to watch a QL of brad playing Dark Souls. I will end up wetting myself because of laughing too much. It would be basically watching him die every 3 seconds.

Brad: Over here I'll show how the combat...ohh fuck, ph fuck I am gonna die, I'm gonna die, aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm dead.

Brad: Hopefully now I'll get through this so I can...*brad gets invaded*...Ohh shit I got invaded OK lets see if I can...NO I'm dead.

Brad: You can also do combat rolls, let me show you. *brad continue to roll right off of a cliff*

Brad: Let run away from this enemy because my health is really low *brad runs right off of ledge*

Brad doesn't notice the stamina bar: Oh come on! Let the record show I was blocking.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jozzy

@Mordukai said:

@jozzy said:

@Mordukai said:

@jozzy said:

Huh, ok. Just remember to take your time and don't get discourage when you die 19 time on the tutorial level...LOL. JK.

I have read and watched a lot of Demon's Souls. Trust me, I know where I am getting myself into (pain).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster

I should really get around to finishing Demon's Souls.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai

@Axxol said:

I would gladly help you through if you just wanna power through it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Mordukai said:

@Axxol said:

I would gladly help you through if you just wanna power through it.

I just might take you up on that offer. I have to play catch up on a lot of games, since I haven't turned on either of my consoles in weeks. I still have a copy if Yakuza 4 in its wrapper.
    WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By WightnNerdy

Famitsu is probably the last publication I would trust for game reviews, personally.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai

@Bulby33 said:

Famitsu is probably the last publication I would trust for game reviews, personally.

Why is that? I mean I don't have much experience with them. Are they worse then Edge and Eurogamer?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By Nate

@Mordukai said:

@Origina1Penguin said:

@Mordukai said:

I remember that. However, Vinny can get rather...lazy!?...How about I just call it procrastination...when it comes to reviewing games. After all wasn't he suppose to review DA2 and he kept saying that he is going to finish it and never did. I just feel Dave will actually go through the game even if he ends up hating it. I always get that vibe from Vinny that he just doesn't like reviewing games. He seems he much rather play them for the sake of fun and not for the sake of reviewing it.

I talked to Dave about it once on his call in show and he didn't seem too keen on Demon's Souls. He said he can handle challenging games, but when a game is so hard to understand and you basically have to go online to figure out what the hell's going on (or put hundreds of hours in) it ceases to be fun. Personally, I did have to go online and read a ton on the DS wiki, but I actually enjoyed that process. It sounded like he only gave it a couple hours and I can't blame him for quitting after that. Can't blame anyone. Different strokes for different folks. Since Vinny actually finished the game he seems like a more likely reviewer, but if someone forced Dave to play it for a review, I'd love to see what he thinks after all that :) He seems like the "hard-ass RPG guy" of the family.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Nate

@Hi_Voltg3 said:

Have you played Demon's Souls before? I don't have a PS3 but i've seen various bits of what my brother was playing. It seemed really cool and I am interested in this quite a bit. I understand you go from level to level until you kill a boss but was it a long enough game to justify the 60 bucks? I'd rather hear from players than the reviews. Thanks in advance!

I think it took me about 60 hours on my first playthrough and NG+ gives it incredible replayability. I put in another 20 (80 total) on that one character before New Game plus kicked my ass too much and I gave up. Now I've started another character and put in about 30 hours so far. Super fun, so check it out. And it's really cheap now too.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Higher review scores from professional reviewers must mean it's easier with more explosions.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By jimi

@Scrumdidlyumptious said:

Higher review scores from professional reviewers must mean it's easier with more explosions.

Yeah this is what I'm worried about

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chop

@Nate said:

@Mordukai said:

@Origina1Penguin said:

@Mordukai said:

I talked to Dave about it once on his call in show and he didn't seem too keen on Demon's Souls. He said he can handle challenging games, but when a game is so hard to understand and you basically have to go online to figure out what the hell's going on (or put hundreds of hours in) it ceases to be fun. Personally, I did have to go online and read a ton on the DS wiki, but I actually enjoyed that process. It sounded like he only gave it a couple hours and I can't blame him for quitting after that. Can't blame anyone. Different strokes for different folks. Since Vinny actually finished the game he seems like a more likely reviewer, but if someone forced Dave to play it for a review, I'd love to see what he thinks after all that :) He seems like the "hard-ass RPG guy" of the family.

It's strange but the fact that you had to REALLY dig to fully understand Demon's Souls was probably my favorite part <3 I have a thing for overly complicated games that seem impossible to get into. The satisfaction you get from knowing everything bout' those games and being able to kick its ass is my favorite gaming high.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum

Dunno if that's a good thing, as far as I remember the demons souls score was low because of some casual editor that couldn't handle disliked the difficulty, I sure hope that doesn't mean it has been dumbed down too much.

@Mordukai said:

Don't count on it, they already did a good job completely ignoring it so far, it wasn't mentioned not even once during the entirety of their E3 week and the one time it was mentioned in a bombcast was just so they could make fun of it for a couple of minutes, which is to be expected since they all (with the exception of Vinny, who doesn't write reviews) hated demons souls, and this is just more of the same pretty much.

Actually I think it's best they don't even try to review it.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iDarktread

Obligatory:

"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

supaman900s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By supaman900s

Mordukai, would you mind helping me plow thru the rest of Demon's Souls? im prob a little over half way thru it

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Karkarov

@onarum said:

Actually I think it's best they don't even try to review it.

Quoted for truth. People can love the site and the crew all they want but they tend to not like alot of genres out there, particularly RPG's. I would rather not see someone who is just going to score this low review it simply because they hate action rpg's, especially the ones that ask you not to suck as a player. Besides these games are like a fine wine, you either love it or think it tastes like really expensive grape juice with some alcohol thrown in. In other words most people who are going to like this game already know it and don't need any kind of review to convince them.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Mordukai said:

@Ventilaator said:

@Mordukai said:

LMFAO!!!!!!

I have that image in my head now with the theme for Halo playing in the background.

Thanks for the good laugh.

I'm willing to bet they will have a review ready, just like Famitsu gave Demon's Souls a 27 and Dark Souls a 37 they'll realize that there are enough people that won't cry after the first level and actually learn to play the game well.

So they'll have a review ready and glowing to show they're hardcore.

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#38  Edited By rargy

If anyone at GB was going to review this game it would probably be Kessler.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By Vinny_Says

@GuyIncognito said:

@Mordukai said:

And everyone will be pissed and the whole reviews are objective/subjective issue will be debated again.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mordukai: Why does everyone think the reason they don't want to review these games is because the staff are a bunch of dicks who have an irrational hatred of the series? Its not their thing, it has nothing to do with them not giving it a fair shake. In fact, that's the reason they DIDN'T review the first game, none of them were into it and they don't make a habit of reviewing games they aren't interested in (unless its bad games for comedy).

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Karkarov

@rargy said:

If anyone at GB was going to review this game it would probably be Kessler.

Uh the dude thought Castlevania 64 was scary when he was a kid. I am not sure him doing it wouldn't be worse than brad.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By kingzetta

pimp cane soul magic

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shulinchung

Shame on Famitsu. When they reviewed Demon's Souls, I thought they have bad taste for games. Now they reviewed Dark Souls, I think they have bad taste for games and no principles.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love Demon's Souls. That pretty much all I need to say here I guess.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Three0neFive

You know, I kind of wish Giant Bomb (and all mainstream media) would just stay away from Dark Souls. This series doesn't need any more people shitting on it because they didn't take the time to get their fucking facts straight before writing about it. Not that I'm trying to call the crew out - they're probably one of the smallest offenders - but it's just something I've noticed throughout the media. So much misinformation and hyperbole, it's a shame.

inb4 someone accuses me of being one of those "You just don't get it, man! It's not for you!" assholes. I'm fine with people not liking something, it's when they start proclaiming blatant falsehoods as fact that I start to lose my shit.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Doctorchimp

@President_Barackbar said:

@Mordukai: Why does everyone think the reason they don't want to review these games is because the staff are a bunch of dicks who have an irrational hatred of the series? Its not their thing, it has nothing to do with them not giving it a fair shake. In fact, that's the reason they DIDN'T review the first game, none of them were into it and they don't make a habit of reviewing games they aren't interested in (unless its bad games for comedy).

I mean I love the crew for sure...

But they reviewed Bodycount....come on

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nottle

@Three0neFive said:

You know, I kind of wish Giant Bomb (and all mainstream media) would just stay away from Dark Souls. This series doesn't need any more people shitting on it because they didn't take the time to get their fucking facts straight before writing about it. Not that I'm trying to call the crew out - they're probably one of the smallest offenders - but it's just something I've noticed throughout the media. So much misinformation and hyperbole, it's a shame.

inb4 someone accuses me of being one of those "You just don't get it, man! It's not for you!" assholes. I'm fine with people not liking something, it's when they start proclaiming blatant falsehoods as fact that I start to lose my shit.

Are there any blatant examples of people not knowing anything about how Demon's Souls is supposed to work. I'm in the mood for a laugh.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Three0neFive

@Nottle said:

@Three0neFive said:

Are there any blatant examples of people not knowing anything about how Demon's Souls is supposed to work. I'm in the mood for a laugh.

Can't really think of any at the moment except for a few random podcasts - I remember listening to one of the guys on The Geekbox recount his journey through the game, he told so many half-truths and exaggerations I wanted to slam my head through a wall. It's mostly little things like that which add up to a really offputting (and unfair) impression - not knowing how World Tendency works, saying "the game doesn't tell you what the stat symbols mean" despite there straight-up being a prompt on the character screen that brings up a list of what everything means, blindly rushing in like you're playing God-of-fucking-War and claiming the game gives you no warning, saying you need the FAQ to get anywhere in the game, etc. I didn't use the Wiki until NG+, didn't talk to anybody about the game and grasped all these concepts within the first hour.

I get that reviewers don't really have a lot of time to dedicate to any one game but goddamn, if you don't know or are unclear on how something works, just fucking say so instead making shit up and pretending like you're an expert. The only journalists I've really seen give Demon's Souls a fair chance were IGN's Jim Reilly and Kotaku's Micheal McWhertor.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ThunderSlash

They should get Rorie to review it, I'm pretty sure that guy liked and finished Demon's Souls. They get Alex to review things, why not Rorie?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai

@ThunderSlash said:

They should get Rorie to review it, I'm pretty sure that guy liked and finished Demon's Souls. They get Alex to review things, why not Rorie?

because he's too busy telling everyone if the podcast how he started watching (insert show or movie here) and fell asleep? I also thought of that. I remember the article he did for Dark Souls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.