Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Second Dark Souls Review is in.

• 64 results
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Karkarov said:

@rargy said:

If anyone at GB was going to review this game it would probably be Kessler.

Uh the dude thought Castlevania 64 was scary when he was a kid. I am not sure him doing it wouldn't be worse than brad.

Except for the part...where he was a kid and now he's fine...because he grew up.

And how if you talk to him about Demon's Souls he praises it up and down.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Chop

@ThunderSlash said:

They should get Rorie to review it, I'm pretty sure that guy liked and finished Demon's Souls. They get Alex to review things, why not Rorie?

Because Rorie seems like the busiest guy at Whiskey Media. He puts out far more content than any other editor and he has the highest post count on the screened forums...I swear, he never sleeps D:

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By ThunderSlash

@Chop said:

@ThunderSlash said:

They should get Rorie to review it, I'm pretty sure that guy liked and finished Demon's Souls. They get Alex to review things, why not Rorie?

Because Rorie seems like the busiest guy at Whiskey Media. He puts out far more content than any other editor and he has the highest post count on the screened forums...I swear, he never sleeps D:

It must the young souls of puppies that he regularly reaps that keep him this active.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Milkman

"37/40" Video games are broken. Why is that a review scale that we as a people accept?

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By HadesTimes

I really wasn't the biggest fan of Demon's Souls, but I never gave it a proper chance. I'm afraid I will do the same here. Maybe when they package the two together for the inevitable bundle, I'll pick it up. Or maybe when they are both $10 used or something. I dunno, it's one of those games I want to like, but just can't get that much into.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Afroman269

@Milkman said:

"37/40" Video games are broken. Why is that a review scale that we as a people accept?

I think there's a X/100 scale out there somewhere too. Those scales are fucking stupid.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Karkarov

@Doctorchimp: Except having a person who "loves a game" review it gives you a review just as biased as someone who hates it. Like I said in my other post. This is a love it or hate it game, you really don't need a review to know which camp you will fall in either. I wouldn't mind a quick look of this game and in all seriousness I think it would be a great idea for Giant Bomb to do one. But actual review? I would prefer not.

@Milkman: I am pretty sure their scale is actually a 1-10 they just have 4 different people give it a 1-10 score and the total is the X/40. The reason Demon's Souls only got a 27 is cause of them gave it a 1 since 1-1 kicked his ass for over 4 hours.

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By Timing

@Karkarov said:

@Doctorchimp: Except having a person who "loves a game" review it gives you a review just as biased as someone who hates it. Like I said in my other post. This is a love it or hate it game, you really don't need a review to know which camp you will fall in either. I wouldn't mind a quick look of this game and in all seriousness I think it would be a great idea for Giant Bomb to do one. But actual review? I would prefer not.

@Milkman: I am pretty sure their scale is actually a 1-10 they just have 4 different people give it a 1-10 score and the total is the X/40. The reason Demon's Souls only got a 27 is cause of them gave it a 1 since 1-1 kicked his ass for over 4 hours.

No one on Famitsu gave it a 1, the scores given were 9, 7, 7 and 6. And I don't think the positive bias argument holds up very well either. That would mean no one on the team would be allowed to review Mass Effect 3, since they all loved 2. If anything, since Kessler knows the highs and lows of the previous game (as opposed to most of the other staff) he'd be better able to tell in what ways Dark Souls has improved over Demon's Souls and in what ways it hasn't.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MiniPato

@Milkman said:

I think it's cause Famitsu rates four categories of a game. But yeah, anything over a 10 point scale is absurd. Even then, a 10 point scale still might be much. But believe it or not, there are people that use 100 point scales and still use decimal numbers with it, creating a 1000 point scale. It's ridiculous.

Anyways, good review I guess. But I can't be sure if it's just Famitsu backpedaling on their Demon's Souls review after they found out how much of a success it was and is just jumping on the bandwagon, or if it is a legit score.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Milkman: Famitsu's scale is actually quite interesting; 4 separate reviewers give the game scores out of ten and the final score becomes the total of these. Of course, as its such a large publication, a certain caliber of game will get universally high scores. However in other games there will be a noticeable disparity in the individual scores and you get to see a few different points of view on the game.  

Also, I guarantee if Brad plays the QL he will NOT figure out that there is a lock-on. 
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#61  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @MiniPato said:

But believe it or not, there are people that use 100 point scales and still use decimal numbers with it, creating a 1000 point scale. It's ridiculous.

Where? 
    I would like to see these reviews.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By mordukai

@HadesTimes said:

I really wasn't the biggest fan of Demon's Souls, but I never gave it a proper chance. I'm afraid I will do the same here. Maybe when they package the two together for the inevitable bundle, I'll pick it up. Or maybe when they are both $10 used or something. I dunno, it's one of those games I want to like, but just can't get that much into.

Too bad. You really missing out on an unusual experience. I just love how every world feels unique and there's no recycling of enemies. Every world forced you to adapt to it's enemies and it's quirkiness. The prison level comes to mind. I've never seen a more disturbing area in a video game.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By Rayeth

@Mordukai: Fuck that prison level.

Those head sucking magic shooting guys gave me nightmares for so long until I had finally memorized where each and every single one was.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By plaintomato

Famitsu only gives a good rating if they know everyone else is going to. Famitsu scores hype, not gameplay. But I'd bet they're right this time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.