Sens Fortress (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Hi_Voltg3 (57 posts) -

I feel like the answer is no but I need to ask anyway. Once you get to the top of the fortress is there any way to turn off the swinging axes to make going up and down more accessible? I feel like I'm tortuing myself by going up after grinding souls to buy large shards from the merchant up there. I hear that maybe I should just keep on going into Anor Lando and eventually I can learn to teleport? What is that all about exactly? I killed the gargoyle miniboss but feel like I'm at a dead end now because I can't seem to find where else to progress. I guess I haven't looked enough.
#2 Edited by Nadril (533 posts) -

If you found the cage key there is a cage at the top near the boss in one of the towers that will take you to the entrance.  

edit: 

I killed the gargoyle miniboss but feel like I'm at a dead end now because I can't seem to find where else to progress. I guess I haven't looked enough.

Gotta jump down on one of the beams or something and go to an open window. 
#3 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

@Hi_Voltg3: Like Nadril said, there's a cage key to open up a shortcut in Sen's Fortress. Go down stairs in the building that the merchant resides in. Following this path to the very end should lead you to a bridge with a key at the end. The cage that uses this key is near the top of Sen's Fortress before the boss fight. There's no way to turn off the swinging axes from what I understand, but with that short cut open, you only have to deal with the easiest four (three?) axes.

You do gain the teleport ability at Anor Londo. After fighting the lamest boss ever, you'll gain that ability very soon afterward. From what I've experienced, it only works with specific bonfires.

To progress in Anor Londo, you should go to the bridge that you fought the gargoyle on. If you trace your steps backwards from that area to the area where you first emerged onto the bridge and look to your left, you should see some steps down, and more importantly, the narrow path you need to scale to progress. I completely missed that until I saw a few player messages strewn along the path.

#4 Posted by Hi_Voltg3 (57 posts) -

Thank you guys so much. I have this key so I guess I have to look for this cage now. I assume it takes you back up as well as going down?

#5 Posted by Gargantuan (1882 posts) -

@Hi_Voltg3 said:

Thank you guys so much. I have this key so I guess I have to look for this cage now. I assume it takes you back up as well as going down?

Yes.

#6 Edited by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -
@Hi_Voltg3: After killing the crossbow archer there'll be a room behind him with two cages use the key on them and they'll act like an elevator to the first pendulum trap be aware though there will be a sleeping snake man right in front of you when the door opens.

Er quick edit: the room with the cages will be before going to confront the crossbow archer.
#7 Posted by Hi_Voltg3 (57 posts) -

You guys are the bomb diggity <3

#8 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Ok, so I unlocked the cage and have no clue where the hell it is. I died on the boss because I detargeted him as his swung at me for whatever reason and got hit in the back, and I can't seem to find the shortcut to get back up.

Edit: I got back to the top the long way, and took it down to see where it goes. It wasn't there on my way in - so I won't be able to take it up, or what?

Edit2: Nevermind all of this, figured it out I believe. Now my question is how the hell do I get back to Sen's Fortress from Anor Londo? Just beat a Gargoyle that looked like the Gargoyle Bosses and I want to go spend these 37k souls before I die by doing something dumb.

#9 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

It should be on the first bridge with the swinging axes. I think it's after the underpass that the lightning throwing lizard stands on. I get the feeling just unlocking it was not enough. Both the cages start in the up position, so I don't know how one cage would reach the bottom unless it was used first.

There's also a bonfire on the way up to the boss that you might have missed. The first platform that the giant was pelting with firebombs had an edge that you could walk over. That led to a bonfire that was pretty near the boss of the area.

#10 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Nekromantix87 said:

It should be on the first bridge with the swinging axes. I think it's after the underpass that the lightning throwing lizard stands on. I get the feeling just unlocking it was not enough. Both the cages start in the up position, so I don't know how one cage would reach the bottom unless it was used first.

There's also a bonfire on the way up to the boss that you might have missed. The first platform that the giant was pelting with firebombs had an edge that you could walk over. That led to a bonfire that was pretty near the boss of the area.

Yeah, that was my problem. I went down one and came back up and the other cage seemed to go to the bottom after that. I read about that bonfire somewhere else but was too scared to try jumping off a ledge from an unreliable source. Now I need to get back to Sen's Fortress :( Fuck that glowing light or whatever, man. How could I not have examined it? :P So, anyway I can go straight back before I lose 37k souls?

#11 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

@xobballox: Well, if you went down one, I don't see why it wouldn't be there. I just meant that initially, both cages are in the up position. So if you just opened the cage, left it alone, fought the boss, and died, the cages would still be up, which is what I thought you were saying you did.

But after using it once, they act like a seesaw, so one should always be down, and one should always be up. I could be wrong, but that's how every other elevator seems to work in the world of Dark Souls.

#12 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Nekromantix87 said:

@xobballox: Well, if you went down one, I don't see why it wouldn't be there. I just meant that initially, both cages are in the up position. So if you just opened the cage, left it alone, fought the boss, and died, the cages would still be up, which is what I thought you were saying you did.

But after using it once, they act like a seesaw, so one should always be down, and one should always be up. I could be wrong, but that's how every other elevator seems to work in the world of Dark Souls.

Yeah, that is what I did the first time around, I didn't want to go down it and and not be able to go back up for some reason so I tried to boss first, but it's all good now. So, any clue what I need to do to get out of Anor Londo? I met that Firekeeper lady and used the Bonfire and killed the Gargoyle... do I need to kill the large knight guarding the stairs to progress or...?

#13 Edited by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

@xobballox said:

Edit2: Nevermind all of this, figured it out I believe. Now my question is how the hell do I get back to Sen's Fortress from Anor Londo? Just beat a Gargoyle that looked like the Gargoyle Bosses and I want to go spend these 37k souls before I die by doing something dumb.

If you want to get back to Sen's Fortress, just go back to where you were dropped off/started in Anor Londo and the gargoyle things will bring you back down if you talk to them.

#14 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Geo7877 said:

@xobballox said:

There is a bonfire not far from where you start in Anor Londo. But if you want to get back to Sen's Fortress, just go back to where you were dropped off and the gargoyle things will bring you back down if you talk to them.

Oh, awesome. I got to the Brilliant Light and have no clue what to do right now (don't spoil it! :P) so I am going to go back. Didn't even notice the Gargoyles were still there when I landed. Thanks, duder.

#15 Posted by Nekromantix87 (41 posts) -

@xobballox: The stairs with the large knight leads to a dead end for now. The bridge that you fought the gargoyle on is where you want to be. As soon as you enter that area, look to your left and down, and there should be some stairs that lead downward. From here look around for a building across from you that has some steep, narrow paths connecting it to the land mass that you're on. You have to hike up that to progress in Londo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.