Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Shield up at all times , Finger Fatigue

Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtophre

I sort of wish there was some way to have a toggle shield mode instead of having to hold down the L1 button(xbox 360) all of the time.

I suppose one could buy a rapid fire xbox 360 controller but I am not sure there is any wireless controller out there with the ability to toggle a button down or not.

There is always tape.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

Seems way too risky.
    Because you regen stamina much more slowly with a shield up and some of the toughter enemies and/or bosses will drain your stamina in 1-3 hits if blocking, leaving you open and staggering for a followup attack.
    Plus your own attacks will leave you drained with the shield always up too.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By D_W

You should learn not to have your shield up all the time. It really only needs to be up when running into a new area and before an enemy is going to attack you.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By pjacobson21

I played through Demon's Souls with a permanent death grip on L1 and it wasn't until my NG+ that I realized this isn't the best way to do things.  I still keep my shield up a lot, I mean when exploring a new area it can be a lifesaver if an enemy catches you off guard, but when actually fighting you need to be able to put your shield down otherwise your stamina will be drained in no time leaving wipe open to take massive damage.

Plus it is often a much more efficient use of stamina to roll away from an attack rather than take the hit to your shield.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By chainreaction01

Should learn to put you shield down between their attacks, allows you to last them a lot longer. Keeping your shield up all the time is going to get you knocked around a lot more.

Xtophre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Xtophre

Very good point about the Stamina bit.

I am like pjaco above with the death grip on the L1 button, afraid of something popping out and insta-killing me. Maybe I am being overly paranoid.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

You really only need to hold your shield up when you're walking forward into unknown territory, or when an enemy is about to attack and you don't want to roll. Other than that let your finger take a vacation in the time between. It's not much but it'll help.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By rjaylee

@pjacobson21 said:

I played through Demon's Souls with a permanent death grip on L1 and it wasn't until my NG+ that I realized this isn't the best way to do things. I still keep my shield up a lot, I mean when exploring a new area it can be a lifesaver if an enemy catches you off guard, but when actually fighting you need to be able to put your shield down otherwise your stamina will be drained in no time leaving wipe open to take massive damage. Plus it is often a much more efficient use of stamina to roll away from an attack rather than take the hit to your shield.

While I agree that putting down the shield to regenerate stamina quickly is key, I don't 100% agree about the efficiency of blocking vs. rolling.

A good shield with a good amount of stability rating will not use much stamina to absorb a strike. Not only that, but inducing a block stun is a safe and effective way to pick your strikes safely to maximize your survival and safety. While yes, rolling and going for a backstab (which not every enemy can have done to them) can net a higher damage output, it's also much more risky, and of course you're going to need the world geography to be open enough to allow the roll. There's numerous points in the game where I know rolling is definitely not going to be viable (narrow corridors, narrow bridges, tightrope situations). But to be fair, there's just as many points where I wish I had the quickness to roll and evade from attacks as well, so it comes down to situation and play-style.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By demarcon

I'm a firm believer in clicking the right joystick over holding the shield down forever. If I can lock onto an enemy that's somewhat hidden I can generally roll out of the way from them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.