Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

So am I a casual jerk for absolutely despising this game so far?

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ick_bop

I've spent about five hours with the game(mostly in Undead Burg) and I don't understand any of the appeal of this game, other than the griefing to be found by invasion. Dark Souls fanboys hate anyone who doesn't 'get' the game and slam it for being it an annoying, nigh-unbearable experience, so...is there a point when the game clicks? Does it improve significantly past Undead Burg? Should I play as another class?(Currently a pyromancer with a shield and spear)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

The game simply isn't for everyone. That doesn't make the game bad; it just doesn't aim for the widest audience appeal.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Keep trying, restarting a new game with different classes is quite normal. If you still don't like it then it's understandable. It's not a game for everyone. You'll love it or you don't. It's like any other game. And yes it does pick up after Undead Burg. The level/monster designs get much better after that.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Marz

Sell it back, it's obviously not for you.

Colemang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Colemang

if you've played 5 hours and there aren't things clicking for you it's probably just not for you.  just like i don't get sim racers.  just doesn't click for me.  if you stick with it you'll be in and out of undead burg and all kinds of other areas discovering bosses and npcs and shortcuts.  i would say, though, that 5 hours is probably enough to know it's not for you. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

This game isn't for everybody. It's a niche game that people grasped onto because it's so different from most other games today. It also appeals to the crowd who want to have an extreme challenge. I don't think there is going to be any part where this game clicks for you. I'd have walked away at that point if I went that far and hated it.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Classes have almost no meaning in Dark Souls so switching isn't gonna help you out much; you should probably just play another game. It doesn't change up much beyond finding newer and progressively bigger things to kill you.  Honestly if the only thing you find appealing is invading and killing other players go find something that is always PvP rather than Dark Souls weird take on Mulitplayer.

I think that if you're playing a game to 'get it' or argue with fans of the game you're playing for the wrong reasons.  Go find something you do get, and do enjoy and don't waste your time trying to make something fit. I don't touch 99% of FPS because I just don't get what's supposed to be fun about a linear shooting gallery, I don't find it exciting or enticing to take them online and do this shitty run, shoot, die, respawn, repeat thing - I don't get it, it's not fun for me.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MezZa

It's probably just not your kind of game. Not everyone can be beaten to hell and enjoy it. It doesn't "improve" past undead burg. The game is what it is and it is very upfront about it. What makes it fun for the audience it's intended for is what you're experiencing right now, so there won't be a magic time later on when all of a sudden it changes and becomes fun for everyone. You, however, can improve if you stick at it. That usually heightens people's enjoyment of the game.

I would recommend sticking with the pyromancer as well if you do continue playing. It's one of the easier starters imo. You also might want to look into some of the basics that aren't explained in game. Stuff like properly placing your stats, etc. can really help ease yourself into the game.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx

I think the games great, but if your not convinced I can't convince you. Either you enjoy a game or you don't. 
    You're not bad for not liking it though. Everyone has different tastes. 

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By McShank

Dieing is half the fun. Exploring is a quarter of the fun and accomplishing something that was hard and kept you from progressing is the other quarter of fun. If you dont like it, stop playing and find something easier. This game was not meant for everyone and it will never be meant for everyone. They will not patch it to be easier or make the multiplayer more "friend" friendly. As everyone above me has stated, if you dont like it now, you wont like it later. The only thing playing more will bring is more death and you getting better at the controls which means you will hopefully not die as much but that is an understatement as everyone dies alot :D

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By nohthink

@ick_bop: Trust me. I hated Demon's Souls but for some reason I like Dark Souls. And I believe people who like this game are crazy, including myself. So don't worry. It's perfectly fine to hate this game and walk away

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Hailinel said:

The game simply isn't for everyone. That doesn't make the game bad; it just doesn't aim for the widest audience appeal.

And thats why the game had a awesome hardcore cult (hardcore as in that played ALOT) I really can not wait till I can play dark souls 
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

I would sell it back. It's not exactly the same kind of situation, but I did the same thing with FF 13, where I was pretty bored several hours in but kept at it because people kept telling me it got better. It did, but it didn't get better enough so that I was glad I didn't stop playing earlier.

Edit: Man, that last sentence is weird. I tried writing it like four times and I just couldn't get it to work.

ick_bop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ick_bop

Alright, I restarted as a Warrior and I'm already liking the combat a bit more with the sword.(I guess I could have used a sword as a Pyro, but I never found one and I used souls for other things)

edit: Wow, the bow is actually really useful now.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

How dare you not like a video game, what the fuck.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Stop worrying.
    I don't get Uncharted, Call of Duty, most indie games or hell, almost any RTS game.

That doesn't make me any less of a gamer (whatever that word means to you is your own thing).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yes, you're a casual jerk for not loving a game many other people love.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c69b4d231869
    deactivated-5c69b4d231869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you a casual jerk for having personal tastes? No.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coakroach

Trying something new is always good, even if it doesn't work out.

I knew after playing Super Street Fighter IV online for a few hours that i'm never buying a fighting game ever again, but it was worth a shot.

Sucks to lose money on it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.